CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   What does the Plant closure really mean for 2018 model year? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3943599-what-does-the-plant-closure-really-mean-for-2018-model-year.html)

MSG C5 02-13-2017 12:05 AM

What does the Plant closure really mean for 2018 model year?

Anyone think the C7 will receive a major refresh as a result of the plant shutdown and new "paint" facility for the 2018 model year?

I know there are multiple speculation threads about the ZR1 and mid-engine "Zora", however do you think all current C7 models; Stingray, Grand Sport, and Z06 will receive some kind of performance bump or cosmetic tweaks?

Zymurgy 02-13-2017 12:09 AM

"Major refresh". No.

"Cosmetic tweaks". Maybe.

george vee 02-13-2017 12:25 AM

Probably the mid engine and I think it will be a Caddy

Maxie2U 02-13-2017 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by george vee (Post 1594081499)

Seriously, who the hell would buy a mid-engine caddy :rofl:

TBIRD57 02-13-2017 01:36 AM

not that caddy thing again!

how many more of these failed caddy sports cars is GM going to try yet again! caddy should be focused on getting their top of the line car competitive instead- genesis g90 already lapped it.

BrunoTheMellow 02-13-2017 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by TBIRD57 (Post 1594081656)
how many more of these failed caddy sports cars is GM going to try yet again! caddy should be focused on getting their top of the line car competitive instead- genesis g90 already lapped it.

well considering the ATS-V is faster than the c63 and the M3/M4 and said to be the best feeling car in the segment, i'd say Cadillac is doing well with that. CTS-V is gorgeous and whoops most of the competition too but the price is high.

proexpert 02-13-2017 05:28 AM

It means new assembly robots, more efficiency, better overall quality, better panel fit, and eventually better paint finish.

JerryU 02-13-2017 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1594081568)
Seriously, who the hell would buy a mid-engine caddy :rofl:

Since a poster who appeared to be in the know, said the mid engine Vette was moved to the Cadillac engineers a year ago-think that is logical.

This is my speculation:
First GM needs to go to a more energy efficient mid engine to meet the very high corporate average MPG that will be imposed in the near future. It will probably be a smaller displacement, more efficient, 4 valve per cylinder, double overhead cam engine. The mid engine is needed since you can't fit that tall engine in a low hood front engine Vette!

To get the mid engine car off the ground they have picked Caddy to be the first to introduce at a low volume/high price. Not sure what engine, perhaps the current twin turbo Caddy V6 but quite probably NOT a high performance Z06 hp level. Most Caddy owners don't need that power and the car can have more insulation from road noise, a very high end sound system option and all the extras some Vette owners have expressed as needed. However the Caddy can sell for $125,000 to $150,000 price! Oh they will hype the lower polar moment of inertia as the reason they are going to a mid engine and although true there are more corporate financial reasons, IMO.

A year or two later the Vette version will be introduced with it's V6, They will also offer a light weight (eliminate all that sound insulation and no fancy sound system options, etc) high performance a dual turbo version with Z06 power levels! Note the 2017 mid engine Acura NSX 3.5 Liter twin-turbo V-6 engine produces 500 hp!

Stangslayer 02-13-2017 07:43 AM

Leaked by GM insider.
C8 Mid-Engine
Quad Turbo
Boxer 4 Hybrid
All Wheel Drive
A12
That about should do it.
MSRP - $399,999

VettinFan 02-13-2017 07:46 AM

Those that know don't talk....Those that talk, don't know.

roadbike56 02-13-2017 07:57 AM

Meanwhile, back to the original question.
Yes, I think the C7 will receive a facelift. As for a HP increase, depends on the CAFE situation and how will an LT1 replacement meet the current MPG requirements. However, if the CAFE won't be affected, yes I think an HP increase is in order. That 500HP mark has to be tempting to the Corvette marketeers.
Here's something else to consider. Will the three month shutdown, permit revisions to the C7 to allow the A10 to be introduced to replace the A8. Something to think about.

MSG C5 02-13-2017 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by proexpert (Post 1594081861)
It means new assembly robots, more efficiency, better overall quality, better panel fit, and eventually better paint finish.

Curious if these improvements will be immediately noticeable or just like anything new, they need to work out the bugs in the process first.

Red C8 of Jax 02-13-2017 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1594081463)
"Major refresh". No.

"Cosmetic tweaks". Maybe.

:iagree: Maybe some interior refreshments.

trivette 02-13-2017 09:24 AM

A newly styled center armrest-or at least different material- that takes care of the wrinkling issue would be (one would think) a relatively inexpensive interior change that would be welcome. It would definitely cut down on warranty claims.
Even a new paint facility/process will not fix things for owners if the body panels themselves are still wavy. This has been discussed on many threads; even a glass smooth paint job will not hide this. Some cars are better than others. My early '14, fortunately, is quite good, but I've seen others with lots of waves. Seems like this came to light later in production and continues today.
An increase in base car power to 500 HP or so would be nice, but the whole EPA/CAFE/MPG requirements to get there would be expensive to justify. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Bigredwing 02-13-2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax (Post 1594082347)
:iagree: Maybe some interior refreshments.

Yes! Let me get an Arctic White convertible with a blue interior WITHOUT paying $9000 more (based on MSRP).

Stangslayer 02-17-2017 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by VettinFan (Post 1594082146)
Those that know don't talk....Those that talk, don't know.

Ever hear of "satire" or "sarcasm"?

jschindler 02-17-2017 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1594082060)
Since a poster who appeared to be in the know, said the mid engine Vette was moved to the Cadillac engineers a year ago-think that is logical.

This is my speculation:
First GM needs to go to a more energy efficient mid engine to meet the very high corporate average MPG that will be imposed in the near future. It will probably be a smaller displacement, more efficient, 4 valve per cylinder, double overhead cam engine. The mid engine is needed since you can't fit that tall engine in a low hood front engine Vette!

To get the mid engine car off the ground they have picked Caddy to be the first to introduce at a low volume/high price. Not sure what engine, perhaps the current twin turbo Caddy V6 but quite probably NOT a high performance Z06 hp level. Most Caddy owners don't need that power and the car can have more insulation from road noise, a very high end sound system option and all the extras some Vette owners have expressed as needed. However the Caddy can sell for $125,000 to $150,000 price! Oh they will hype the lower polar moment of inertia as the reason they are going to a mid engine and although true there are more corporate financial reasons, IMO.

A year or two later the Vette version will be introduced with it's V6, They will also offer a light weight (eliminate all that sound insulation and no fancy sound system options, etc) high performance a dual turbo version with Z06 power levels! Note the 2017 mid engine Acura NSX 3.5 Liter twin-turbo V-6 engine produces 500 hp!

They cannot possibly sell enough of them to even be a rounding error in their CAFE requirements. it doesn't mean they won't do what you are saying, but that would not be the driver.

What makes Corvettes what they are is that they have a price point that makes them a bargain for what they deliver, and that basically happens in large part by sharing basic powertrain structures with other mass produced vehicles. I think we are agreeing on that.

Because GM has been able to make V8s for their trucks that get as good gas mileage as the Ford Ecoboost turbos, I don't see why GM needs to put a 6 in the Corvette anytime soon.

As an old timer, I'm still drawn to V8s in performance cars.

767guy 02-17-2017 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by MSG C5 (Post 1594082228)
Curious if these improvements will be immediately noticeable or just like anything new, they need to work out the bugs in the process first.

How about, hopefully, all the problems with Torque Converters and Rear Differentials that warble all solved by the intro of the 2018 model .

LT1 Z51 02-17-2017 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow (Post 1594081791)
well considering the ATS-V is faster than the c63 and the M3/M4 and said to be the best feeling car in the segment, i'd say Cadillac is doing well with that. CTS-V is gorgeous and whoops most of the competition too but the price is high.

Agree.

In the latest C&D the ATS finished last due to NVH (Shoulda put the LT1 in the car) and "dated" exterior and interior styling. It won on all chassis numbers, and on price.

So if you don't dislike the Cadillac styling, then it's probably the best car.

Larry/car 02-17-2017 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by roadbike56 (Post 1594082184)
Meanwhile, back to the original question.
Yes, I think the C7 will receive a facelift. As for a HP increase, depends on the CAFE situation and how will an LT1 replacement meet the current MPG requirements. However, if the CAFE won't be affected, yes I think an HP increase is in order. That 500HP mark has to be tempting to the Corvette marketeers.
Here's something else to consider. Will the three month shutdown, permit revisions to the C7 to allow the A10 to be introduced to replace the A8. Something to think about.

I can't think of a single reason to want a ten speed automatic. The darn thing will be shifting all the time actually hindering performance. If the transmission is in tenth gear and the demand now requires first, the transmission has to dump nine gears to get into first. We will see!