CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   What's up with that funnel? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3943663-whats-up-with-that-funnel.html)

Maxie2U 02-13-2017 09:36 AM

What's up with that funnel?

I used the blue funnel that came with my C7 yesterday to add a container Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer. The problem, when I slowly poured the container of Sta-Bil into the funnel it leaked out from all around the outer area of funnel between the gas tanker filler neck and the funnel. Most of the Sta-Bil I poured went down overflow drain hole. What a mess!

Yes, the funnel was fully inserted into the gas tank fuller.

Anyone else have a problem with this funnel?

tlippy 02-13-2017 09:45 AM

Me2 !!!!

Promise you - U didn't fully insert the funnel :hide:. There's a secondary anti siphon flap past the one that's on the top. You can feel it open when you fully insert the funnel. I didn't use the OE funnel. I happened to have a foot long funnel that I used for oil and didn't insert it fully on the first try. I crammed it further down and could feel the secondary flap open.

Maxie2U 02-13-2017 09:47 AM

^^^ All I can say is, I pushed it in as far as it would go. Then after it leaked I again pushed on it and it would not insert any farther?

Sounds like I need to get a longer funnel.

bitsnkiblz 02-13-2017 09:48 AM

Same thing happened to me. I ended up buying a cheap funnel that came with about a 2' long, 1" diameter, corrugated, plastic hose attached. I pushed the hose well into the car's filler neck. It worked well in the end.

BEZ06 02-13-2017 10:20 AM

I tried refueling from my gas jugs at the track, and that stock Vette funnel didn't work worth a crap!!:nonod:

I went over to my truck, an F150, and got the funnel that comes it - and it worked great!! Next time at the Phord dealer I've got to remember to get another one to stash in the Vette.

Crappy Vette funnel on the left, MUCH better F150 funnel on the right:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f0047a941.jpeg

TEXHAWK0 02-13-2017 12:33 PM

Very easy to make sure funnel is past the second flapper...just shine a flashlight into the funnel. If you can see the anti-siphon grid, you have both open.

One caution-if you jam something down too far you could dislodge the anti-siphon grid and it can fall into the fuel tank.:eek:

LT1 Z51 02-13-2017 08:16 PM

I use my Focus ST funnel on my Corvette....

ZenicaPA 02-13-2017 08:58 PM

I had this issue putting Stabalize in. Had to get a longer funnel.

Maxie2U 02-13-2017 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0 (Post 1594084155)
Very easy to make sure funnel is past the second flapper...just shine a flashlight into the funnel. If you can see the anti-siphon grid, you have both open.

One caution-if you jam something down too far you could dislodge the anti-siphon grid and it can fall into the fuel tank.:eek:

Is the anti-siphon grid a screen that rests within the fuel pipe?

I remember GM issued a recall on selected 2014's. The anti-siphon grid in the fuel fill pipe could move and slip deeper into the fuel pipe or become dislodged then sink the bottom of the fuel tank.

owc6 02-14-2017 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1594082782)
I used the blue funnel that came with my C7 yesterday to add a container Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer. The problem, when I slowly poured the container of Sta-Bil into the funnel it leaked out from all around the outer area of funnel between the gas tanker filler neck and the funnel. Most of the Sta-Bil I poured went down overflow drain hole. What a mess!

Yes, the funnel was fully inserted into the gas tank fuller.

Anyone else have a problem with this funnel?

My funnel is black.

owc6 02-14-2017 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1594088332)

I remember GM issued a recall on selected 2014's. The anti-siphon grid in the fuel fill pipe could move and slip deeper into the fuel pipe or become dislodged then sink the bottom of the fuel tank.

I don't think that there ever has been a real explanation of what was going on in that recall. No one ever said what could happen IF the grid fell in, In fact, AFAIK, no forum member, here, ever reported this ever actually happening to them.

TEXHAWK0 02-15-2017 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1594088332)

It is a plastic grid. I replaced my inlet pipe, but I should have just removed the grid and put the old one back in.
Mine had moved a little, and it was easy to knock out once I got the inlet nozzle off. I just inserted a wood dowel into the inlet and tapped it a couple of times. IF it does fall into the tank, GM will remove the tank (12 hour job) and extract it under the recall.

GM never really said what could be damaged if the grid made it into the tank, but I guess it could cause the fuel level sensor to hang up, or maybe damage the inlet screen to the pump. :confused2:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...890a4104c6.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...47570d8ae1.jpg

rbartick 02-15-2017 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1594082782)
I used the blue funnel that came with my C7 yesterday to add a container Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer.

Easy solution, don't bother with Sta-Bil.

renoone 02-15-2017 04:58 PM

Did the same for me. Mine is black. After I pushed it in farther it worked fine. At first I thought I had it in all the way but I guess not.
Damn, after I re-read this it could be taken another way! lol!

Maxie2U 02-15-2017 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by rbartick (Post 1594101340)
Easy solution, don't bother with Sta-Bil.

Talk about being shortsighted. What if I ran out of gas and needed to use the funnel to refuel.

Guess your simple minded answer would be "easy solution don't run out of gas".

mschuyler 02-15-2017 05:45 PM

Try a different funnel:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cc27907539.jpg

Joy c7 02-15-2017 05:51 PM

Ours worked fine when we added Sta-Bil back in Nov.

L1FRDOG 02-17-2017 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0 (Post 1594084155)

Wait.... IF I push too hard I might dislodge the ANTI-SIPHON GRID...

I am just thinking that doesn't sound very effective that if I want some Gas from my Buddy's Vette I just need to push a little harder !!

:cheers:

Just sounds funny to me!
L1FRDOG

rbartick 02-17-2017 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1594101615)
Talk about being shortsighted. What if I ran out of gas and needed to use the funnel to refuel.

Guess your simple minded answer would be "easy solution don't run out of gas".

That is correct. Don't run out of gas.

Maxie2U 02-23-2017 09:33 PM

Finally got around to looking down the throat of the GM supplied gas funnel after inserting it (fully) into the gas filler neck. Shining a light into the funnel I could see the second anti-siphon door was still closed because the gas funnel neck was about an inch too short. I say again, the funnel was pushed in as far as it would go.

I scratch my head how GM provided a funnel that does not work. Sometimes it's the little things that count the most. Good thing I did not find this out had I ran out of gas.

I ordered a new (longer) funnel from Amazon.