CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] Quick Remove Rear Stingray Emblem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3944032-quick-remove-rear-stingray-emblem.html)

woodsdesign 02-13-2017 09:35 PM

Quick Remove Rear Stingray Emblem

Does anyone leave the speed nuts off the rear "Stingray" emblem?
I would like to be able to pull it off easily for buffing.
I thought I read somewhere that some guys use tape wrapped around the prongs to make it fit snug. Or, maybe it would just stay in the holes without the speed nuts.
I would like to hear suggestions.

leif.anderson93 02-13-2017 09:41 PM

Lawrence,
When my '67 was restored four years ago, I decided to not install the nuts on either the front (cross flags) or rear (StingRay) emblems. Makes it so much easier when waxing the car, pop them out and back in...no messy clean-up. They stay in there snug enough that I haven't had any issues. I don't use anything additional to hold them in place other than the paint that is already in the mounting holes. By the way, I drive this car about 5,000 miles per year...so, it's not like it just sits in the garage. Go for it:thumbs:

bluzrocker 02-13-2017 09:42 PM

rear sting ray emblem

Tape will work...no nuts or tape can leave it loose and mar the paint during driving ....and for what your doing the tape on the prongs will work:thumbs:

Originally Posted by woodsdesign (Post 1594088348)
I thought I read somewhere that some guys use tape wrapped around the prongs to make it fit snug. Or, maybe it would just stay in the holes without the speed nuts.

Daren67 02-13-2017 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93 (Post 1594088388)
Lawrence,
When my '67 was restored four years ago, I decided to not install the nuts on either the front (cross flags) or rear (StingRay) emblems. Makes it so much easier when waxing the car...no messy clean-up. They stay in there snug enough that I haven't had any issues. I don't use anything additional to hold them in place other than the paint that is already in the mounting holes. By the way, I drive this car about 5,000 miles per year...so, it's not like it just sits in the garage. Go for it:thumbs:

i agree. Except they were stolen when my car was getting a new top at a shop in bad neighborhood. But new ones were not bolted again . Never an issue. Pleasure to remove and wax all the time. Highly recommend

DONR 02-13-2017 10:33 PM

Emblems

I do not have speednuts on my rear emblem. It really helps when buffing or waxing the car. I use a little 3m adhesive on the prongs. The emblem lifts off easy and seems to secure the emblem very well.

Don

Gofltn1 02-14-2017 08:41 PM

Funny that this is an issue that arose on my "new" (for me anyway) 66 vert.first time on the freeway and my wife and I noticed something fly off from the front. Got home and it was the nose flag emblem. Gone. Anyway, ordered a new one and was wondering how to mount it so I don't lose one again. $50 repair that shouldn't have been necessary. Thanks Corvette Forum.

oldpainter 02-14-2017 09:31 PM

I've been using some 3-M panel strip caulk on my rear emblem on my 67 for about 30 years. I just put on enough in areas that don't show and press it on. I take it off to wax all the time and replace the caulk when needed. I've never lost the emblem. Just enough tack to keep it in place.

67's 02-15-2017 01:05 PM

Larry,
Put me in the no speed nuts used side, throw them in the wast bucket when was king, and reattach after.

Tom M

randy ransome 02-15-2017 01:31 PM

I also use 3M double sided tape on mine.

:flag:

woodsdesign 02-15-2017 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gofltn1 (Post 1594095519)
Funny that this is an issue that arose on my "new" (for me anyway) 66 vert.first time on the freeway and my wife and I noticed something fly off from the front. Got home and it was the nose flag emblem. Gone. Anyway, ordered a new one and was wondering how to mount it so I don't lose one again. $50 repair that shouldn't have been necessary. Thanks Corvette Forum.

Thanks for the response guys,
I had the same thing happen to me on a 96 Special Edition that I owned.
The front emblem blew off and hit the windshield. Scared the living shit out of me. That is the reason I put this out to you guys. These emblems arn't cheep.

dcaggiani 02-15-2017 08:13 PM

I left the front emblem attached for the fear of what happened to woodsdesign
but the rear - much like the others who have chimed in - is not secured.
Have not had an issue in 4 years since it was done.

mblake101 02-15-2017 09:06 PM

Emblems

I had the same thing happen to me on my 67; the hood emblems flew up and off on the highway. Luckily, no paint damage to the hood. I use a couple of pencil erasers to hold down the emblems. No prob as yet.

65GGvert 02-15-2017 10:38 PM

Sting Ray

Gofltn1 02-15-2017 10:39 PM

The emblem arrived but nothing to attach with, just the naked prongs. No speed nuts. What kind of tape used? Do you wrap it on before or after pushing the prongs in? How much do you use? I'm a novice so specificity please. Hard to get to if taping after pushing the prongs in.

still cruzin 02-15-2017 11:17 PM

Restored my 67 about 20 years ago now. Never applied the speed nuts on the front or rear emblems! No tape, just slide them in. Never had a problem.

Bob

bluzrocker 02-15-2017 11:31 PM

nose badge

same thing here on new "trim Parts badge"....no threads on prongs...tried tape ..on the first part of the prongs...bout 1/2" not the entire prongs...pushed it in
still didn't feel like it was tight could lift it out with not much effort

...the cavity on the underside (where you would install the nuts)...if you had a badge with nut threads.... is to tight to do much after the badge is in all the wayso waiting for more suggestions from members:toetap:

Originally Posted by Gofltn1 (Post 1594103728)
The emblem arrived but nothing to attach with, just the naked prongs. No speed nuts. What kind of tape used? Do you wrap it on before or after pushing the prongs in? How much do you use? I'm a novice so specificity please. Hard to get to if taping after pushing the prongs in.

66racer 02-16-2017 12:29 AM

Best and easy way,cut about 1 inch or more of small i.d. hose that fits snug on prongs,easy on and off and will hold side emblems also
66racer

bluzrocker 02-16-2017 01:28 AM

how to hold badge on

Elmer...yer just the best:yesnod:...tx for the easy fix..:cool:

Originally Posted by 66racer (Post 1594104231)
Best and easy way,cut about 1 inch or more of small i.d. hose that fits snug on prongs,easy on and off and will hold side emblems also
66racer

Frankie the Fink 02-16-2017 08:02 AM

I have a small soft brush that gets in the nooks and crannies of those emblems quite nicely during a buff up as they are secured with speed nuts. Easier than having airborne crossed flags or some spectator making off with an emblem. I did run off one little kid who was jerking back on a fender emblem like it was a Lego toy - it happens...

Donny Brass 02-16-2017 11:17 AM

A forum member left all the speed nuts off his emblems...... I ran over his nose emblem on the drag strip and made a irreparable hole in a $200 tire............

mine are bolted on.... but I placed a small black nylon washer under each post and I can wax underneath them.