CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Excited to have agreed a deal on 66 coup. Advice now neede (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3944814-excited-to-have-agreed-a-deal-on-66-coup-advice-now-neede.html)

Bizzarrini 02-15-2017 02:48 PM

Excited to have agreed a deal on 66 coup. Advice now neede

1 Attachment(s)
I have just agreed to buy a lightly modified Vette which I found thanks to this forum! Originally it was a low spec 327 that had lost its original engine years ago. The chap I bought it from restored it himself but the quality of his work is the equal of any pro restoration I have seen.

I intend to use it to get to vintage race meets in Europe and the UK which will often mean 500+ mile journeys! I want the car to look period correct and not like a hot rod but I also want it to drive really well and most importantly have enough creacher comforts that on the odd occasion my wife comes too we don't end up in a divorce!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1487185473

Current Spec.
- Dart SHP 400 SHC with alloy heads and Crower internals.
- Vintage air heat and AC
- March performance accessory drive
- new power steering
- TKO 600 5 speed and full drive line and axles
-Posi Traction 3.70 diff
-Suspension all new with carbon rear leaf
- Willowood alloy breaks

Possible changes/upgrades.
- Holley EFI. Is this worth doing, is it the best?
- Steeroids rack power steering.
- I want tail pipes not side. Do I need to get my exhaust chap to make headers and pipes or can I buy good off the shelf performance ones?
- remove red paint from calipors.
- Change wheels to 15" Torque Thrust.
- tyres? I really don't like the look of modern tread pattern tyres on old cars but I want good performance. Thinking of Dunlop or Avon vintage race tyres, but would really like some advice here. Also if I fit the big bloon style Dunlop 700s will they fit under the rear arches without moding them?
- Seats.... I love the look of the original seats but they are like sitting on an over sprung chesterfield sofa. They offer no suport when doing spirited driving. Has anyone got ideas on how to improve them or upgrade them whilst retaining period look?
- leg room, is there an easy way to get more.

I really would appreciated some advice on the above as I have been following this forum for some time now and the wealth of knowledge and experience you have is huge.

Jamie

rtruman 02-15-2017 03:00 PM

The how much your going to invest.link only takes us to the picture ,IN American dollars give us an idea

Frankie the Fink 02-15-2017 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bizzarrini (Post 1594100471)
I have just agreed to buy a lightly modified Vette which I found thanks to this forum! Originally it was a low spec 327 that had lost its original engine years ago. The chap I bought it from restored it himself but the quality of his work is the equal of any pro restoration I have seen.

I intend to use it to get to vintage race meets in Europe and the UK which will often mean 500+ mile journeys! I want the car to look period correct and not like a hot rod but I also want it to drive really well and most importantly have enough creacher comforts that on the odd occasion my wife comes too we don't end up in a divorce!

Current Spec.
- new power steering
-Posi Traction 3.70 diff
- Willowood alloy breaks

===================================

This can be a slippery slope money wise - there are some recent thread on here about it

The people that have gone to this mod declare that they love it.
Go for it.

- I want tail pipes not side. Do I need to get my exhaust chap to make headers and pipes or can I buy good off the shelf performance ones?
I would think you can find off-the-shelf header/tailpipes - you'll have to replace or cut holes in the rear valence and if somebody cut off your rocker panel "tabs" under each door you'll have to replace those - they are available in repro form; more info here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-i-have.html

I've yet to see a set of TT-D's on a C1 or C2 that didn't look killer IMO

- tyres? I really don't like the look of modern tread pattern tyres on old cars but I want good performance. Thinking of Dunlop or Avon vintage race tyres, but would really like some advice here. Also if I fit the big bloon style Dunlop 700s will they fit under the rear arches without moding them?
- Seats.... I love the look of the original seats but they are like sitting on an over sprung chesterfield sofa. They offer no suport when doing spirited driving. Has anyone got ideas on how to improve them or upgrade them whilst retaining period look?
Lots of options here - I know the restomod guys use some fine looking seats - you'll have to search for more info

I really would appreciated some advice on the above as I have been following this forum for some time now and the wealth of knowledge and experience you have is huge.

Jamie
If the wife doesn't like the comfort factor just take the girlfriend instead....that's all the advice I have...

wmf62 02-15-2017 03:45 PM

Jamie

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY get rid of those side pipes... they are 'leg burners' if touched with bare skin... do you want your wife's legs scarred with burns... regular corvette side pipes do not have that problem, and, of course, undercar exhausts obviously don't have that problem...

otherwise, congratulations...

:cheers:
Bill

Bizzarrini 02-15-2017 05:02 PM

Thanks Frankie....... And I kind of agree with you on the girlfriend bit.
I will research more into the EFI as well.

Best Jamie

ejboyd5 02-15-2017 05:22 PM

Drive it a while to see what you really need to do to make it fit your intended uses. Personally, I like its appearance and wouldn't change a thing - particularly the side pipes. A pair of asbestos chaps would be cheaper than a proper conversion to an undercar system.

Bill Wilhelm 02-15-2017 05:22 PM

Current Spec.
- new power steering
-Posi Traction 3.70 diff
- Willowood alloy breaks

Jamie

Jamie,
Since you plan on driving this car have a QUALIFIED mechanic check the rear wheel bearings. Any trouble you have on the road can be fixed by most shops, but not the rear wheel bearings, these take an expert. Looks like a nice ride, good luck with it! Bill

Nowhere Man 02-15-2017 05:30 PM

I agree on the part of driving for several hundred miles before you make any changes. but the side pipes would go quicker. headers with chambered exhaust would be best.

Bizzarrini 02-15-2017 05:35 PM

Yes I know about the rear wheel bearings and how tricky they are. Will have them checked

dahogan 02-15-2017 05:40 PM

A great sweet silver '66 coupe, but the pipes must be changed to look original. :cheers:

Well, I took another look. They look sorta of ok, with those wheels.

Bizzarrini 02-15-2017 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ejboyd5 (Post 1594101499)
Drive it a while to see what you really need to do to make it fit your intended uses. Personally, I like its appearance and wouldn't change a thing - particularly the side pipes. A pair of asbestos chaps would be cheaper than a proper conversion to an undercar system.

That's the great thing about old cars, we all have our own ideas about what looks best...... For me the side pipes and and oversized wheels just detract from the stunning original lines

bcwaller 02-15-2017 05:50 PM

You WILL burn your legs on the side pipes no matter how hard you work to remember they are there. Check the frame to be sure that the holes for the undercar exhaust are still round. Make sure the headers/exhaust you buy will work with your transmission.

The calipers may be powder coated and hard to paint. You might end up leaving them as is depending on costs to re-do them.

I'm pretty sure these seats will fit and be comfortable: http://procarbyscat.com/seats/Elite-Lumbar or others by the same company.

warrenmj 02-15-2017 06:04 PM

I have a '66 L79 convertible and Added Steeroids R&P and love it, so I do recommend that mod. I also changed my original wheels to 15" TT that I also love, but we are getting extremely limited on our choice of performance tires in 15" sizes. You can do a search on this forum for EFI conversions, but I think the consensus is it is expensive and a cr@pshoot on getting it to work properly, so I would stick with a carburetor. I would also like to upgrade my seats. Another forum search will show you what other forum members have done to upgrade theirs. If I remember correctly, some have used C5 seats in coupes, which look great. I would hesitate to put them in my convertible because I think they sit too high with the rear deck. I also agree on removing those sidepipes, but only because your wife will be driving with you. Not only will you not be able to have a conversation, it is only a matter of time before she burns her leg on them. Good luck with your new ride and keep us informed on your changes.

Nowhere Man 02-15-2017 06:24 PM

C5 seats are not that great if you want to be held in. After about 92 Vette seats caterer to a larger rear end

OldKarz 02-15-2017 08:36 PM

I would get those pipes off quickly, wife will burn leg and your toast! After that then I would drive it, and really see what needs to be done. Nice looking car! :cheers: :cool: :thumbs:

C2 Hot Cam Guy 02-15-2017 10:33 PM

pipes

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1594100857)
ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY get rid of those side pipes... they are 'leg burners' if touched with bare skin... do you want your wife's legs scarred with burns... regular corvette side pipes do not have that problem, and, of course, undercar exhausts obviously don't have that problem...

otherwise, congratulations...

:cheers:
Bill

I have those side pipes for many years . I love them. I now wears knee high socks . i dont get burned i love the sound

warrenmj 02-16-2017 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by C2 Hot Cam Guy (Post 1594103692)
I have those side pipes for many years . I love them. I now wears knee high socks . i dont get burned i love the sound

I'm guessing he won't be able to convince his wife to wear knee high socks every time she rides in their new car:D

Revfan 02-16-2017 03:50 AM

I've seen/ridden in that exact car... At a Nuremberg Car show in Germany...
it was awesome!!!
Congratulations!

Frankie the Fink 02-16-2017 07:58 AM

Knee high socks on a Corvette driver ?....in Florida those would have to be white and require seersucker shorts and wingtip shoes..

Those pipes belong on a Cobra kit car IMO - lose 'em... Its not just your wife, I've seen owners with such pipes have to stand around until their car cooled off to keep spectators' kids from getting their hide picked...

rtruman 02-16-2017 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by warrenmj (Post 1594101790)
I have a '66 L79 convertible and Added Steeroids R&P and love it, so I do recommend that mod. I also changed my original wheels to 15" TT that I also love, but we are getting extremely limited on our choice of performance tires in 15" sizes. You can do a search on this forum for EFI conversions, but I think the consensus is it is expensive and a cr@pshoot on getting it to work properly, so I would stick with a carburetor. I would also like to upgrade my seats. Another forum search will show you what other forum members have done to upgrade theirs. If I remember correctly, some have used C5 seats in coupes, which look great. I would hesitate to put them in my convertible because I think they sit too high with the rear deck. I also agree on removing those sidepipes, but only because your wife will be driving with you. Not only will you not be able to have a conversation, it is only a matter of time before she burns her leg on them. Good luck with your new ride and keep us informed on your changes.

it is only a matter of time before she burns her leg on them. Good luck with your new ride and keep us informed on your changes
I can attest to that took my big block 67 to paint shop and wife burned ankle on pipes