CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   2016 Z51 Winter wheels (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3945175-2016-z51-winter-wheels.html)

Italianfox 02-16-2017 11:21 AM

2016 Z51 Winter wheels

There are lots of threads about wheels for vettes but most don't show prices. Here's what I'm up to; I am going to bite the bullet and put the new Michelin A/S run flats as I'm done with waiting for warm weather with the OEMs. But I plan to keep the summer tires for summer use. So I need to get some new wheels for the Z-51 but don't want to spend a lot of $$$$. I've looked at tire rack tire and wheel packages and they have some fairly inexpensive choices but I've read posts about $1000 wheels rubbing, etc. Any recommendations?

Vetteman Jack 02-16-2017 02:06 PM

Find someone here on the forum that has upgraded their wheels to an aftermarket set and is willing to sell the OEM wheels. Look in the parts for sale section.

rangda 02-16-2017 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Italianfox (Post 1594106201)
There are lots of threads about wheels for vettes but most don't show prices. Here's what I'm up to; I am going to bite the bullet and put the new Michelin A/S run flats as I'm done with waiting for warm weather with the OEMs. But I plan to keep the summer tires for summer use. So I need to get some new wheels for the Z-51 but don't want to spend a lot of $$$$. I've looked at tire rack tire and wheel packages and they have some fairly inexpensive choices but I've read posts about $1000 wheels rubbing, etc. Any recommendations?

I've bought winter tires for 3 cars from Tire Rack and based on my experience if they tell you that the tires won't rub they won't rub.

I don't have any specific recommendations for rims as I don't have a vette yet (looking to order a GS next month), but generally the vendors don't post prices because they sell below MAP and thus cannot post prices. Custom forged rims are also pretty pricey these days, $1000 per wheel and up. I remember looking at Fikse rims for my 98 M3 and they were ~$500 each.

Finally throwing my 2 cents in about the rubber you put on the rims. I'm one town over from you and in our neck of the woods if you are going to go through the aggravation of swapping tires I'd recommend going with full winter tires instead of A/S. It gets cold enough in January/February here that you'll get better traction in winter tires. All my sports cars have had much better winter traction than my wife's econoboxes due to winter vs. all season tires.

vbdenny 02-16-2017 04:02 PM

I have bought 5 sets of winter tires and rims for various vehicles. None have ever rubbed or had any issues. Figure about $2500 a $3000 for a complete set. Myself, I'd spend that on a winter rat instead.

Maxpowers 02-16-2017 04:59 PM

I agree with Vetteman Jack. If you can get a used OEM set...Do that. Otherwise check with a forum vendor. Lots of great well priced options.

I went with Cray Spiders. I actually like them better than the OEMs.

Don C1 02-16-2017 08:17 PM

When buying aftermarkets pay attention to the offsets and make sure the wheels your purchasing are the correct OEM offset. I just learned a lesson the hard and expensive way. I bought a set of Z51 chrome wheels from a reputable vendor. I noticed I was getting some tire rub at the top of my rear fenders only on certain deep dips in the road. I did my homework learning about offsets and it turns out the rear wheels had an offset of +56 and should have been +79. For what ever reason that vendor does not offer but one offset. I went to the manufacturer that distributes the wheels and they do offer 3 offsets. So I bought the +79's so no more rub and now I have 2 +56 wheels I will never be able to unload

rrsperry 02-16-2017 08:22 PM

Muscle Sport 7 wheels from tire rack in Z51 size, $170 each or so. What's not to like? I'm into my second winter with them.

Italianfox 02-17-2017 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by rrsperry (Post 1594110186)
Muscle Sport 7 wheels from tire rack in Z51 size, $170 each or so. What's not to like? I'm into my second winter with them.

Yeah I've looked at those. With their tire package you can get all for around 2K. Was a little leery about the low price and Z-51 fit without rubbing, etc