CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Fold lines on the top (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3945201-fold-lines-on-the-top.html)

jim spitzer 02-16-2017 12:39 PM

Fold lines on the top

I noticed today that my 2017 vert is starting to get fold lines on the top from being folded in the trunk. will they go away in time? or is that the nature of the beast.

Rich Mickol 02-16-2017 01:18 PM

Jim, I'm not a vert owner but I think it's the nature of the beast.

It's less noticeable on black, from what I read. :thumbs:

k_arnold 02-16-2017 01:35 PM

My '14 does not seem to have them, but I keep the top up when it's not being driven. Do you keep the top down a lot? As tight as these are when up I would think they would not show much in the way of creases.

dvilin 02-16-2017 01:56 PM

2015 with black top, have to look hard to see any evidence of fold lines. As mentioned when done driving for the day the top goes up.

BELVIN20 02-16-2017 02:56 PM

Nature of the beast, my top is dark grey on the Z, but fold lines are there. Since I have a Vert, I keep the top down a lot, I have just learned to live with just like my C5, had lines as well.

TyBoo 02-16-2017 03:10 PM

2014 with black top. The fold lines are not too bad and smooth out pretty quickly after putting the top up.

More noticeable are the raised lines from the bows inside the fabric, but they are straight across and uniform so even though they stand out a little they don't look bad.

Foosh 02-16-2017 03:20 PM

My experience with dozens of convertibles over the years is that it does help minimize fold marks if you put the top up whenever you're not driving. Leaving it folded for long periods of time does seem to set fold marks into the fabric.

The black top on my '14 is up and down all the time, and not showing fold marks or any wear and tear.

JonMN 02-16-2017 03:38 PM

^^ Agree complete. All my convertibles recommended putting the top up when not driving. Always a few wrinkles, but that's the nature of the top. It's a little more noticeable on colors other than black, but I do have a soft-spot for brown convertible tops.

Al D 02-16-2017 04:13 PM

Same as the rest, I leave the top up as much as possible.

If anyone ever figures out how to get rid of those creases, they deserve an award. The only thing that seems to help is wetting it while washing and leaving it in the sun until it's completely dry. Doesn't work 100%, but it helps.

speedlink 02-16-2017 04:17 PM

Another possibility is that dirt over time can look like food marks. Especially when left folds most of the time.

JonMN 02-16-2017 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Al D (Post 1594108278)
The only thing that seems to help is wetting it while washing and leaving it in the sun until it's completely dry. Doesn't work 100%, but it helps.

:iagree: This does help.

AdventurePoser 02-17-2017 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by JonMN (Post 1594108376)
:iagree: This does help.

Great, all we need is some sunshine....LOL

Rebel Yell 02-17-2017 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1594107933)
My experience with dozens of convertibles over the years is that it does help minimize fold marks if you put the top up whenever you're not driving. Leaving it folded for long periods of time does seem to set fold marks into the fabric.

The black top on my '14 is up and down all the time, and not showing fold marks or any wear and tear.

Originally Posted by JonMN (Post 1594108039)
^^ Agree complete. All my convertibles recommended putting the top up when not driving. Always a few wrinkles, but that's the nature of the top. It's a little more noticeable on colors other than black, but I do have a soft-spot for brown convertible tops.

:iagree: I've owned quite a few verts in my lifetime. Never leave the top down when it's garaged. However, the folds are a part of being the owner of the bestest drop top in America. After time they will appear no matter what.

nytrorcr 02-17-2017 04:59 PM

Same here with the lines, had the same with my C6. The only time the top is up.....driving in the rain or parked in the drive overnight (outside). I driving with the top down all the time.