CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Southern California (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southern-california-45/)
-   -   PIT maneuver (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southern-california/3945251-pit-maneuver.html)

Dennis Wilson 02-16-2017 02:41 PM

PIT maneuver

I almost had a PIT maneuver done on me in our Jeep yesterday by a dumbs##t girl texting. Glancing on the side mirror , saw her drifting to within a few inches of my left rear quarter. She looked up and swerved back almost losing it. I dropped back to maybe give her a dirty look, and she went by STILL TEXTING!!! Could not believe it! End of rant. :cheers:

birdsong 02-16-2017 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had that done to me back in 2012 while going up the grade from Camarillo to Thousand Oaks. This was the result of sliding sideways going uphill when the drivers side wheel couldn't take the stress.

donald4972 02-16-2017 09:32 PM

I suppose this transcends generations, but a recent AAA study shows Millennials (ages 18-24) by over 2/3's admit texting and driving regularly. Willfully running red lights is become another side effect of this I've read in other studies.

Many similar studies show much the same, and worsening results as people consider this 'a right' while driving. And the deaths caused by them, climbs ever higher.

I'm beginning to think, we as a society are going to have to treat them like 'Terrorists' as they menace our loved ones on the highways.
Nothing else, like education seems to be working. They just shrug, and go on repeating this deadly behavior.

We all know, you can't drive in traffic or on the highways without seeing peoples eyes in their laps, as they text, weaving in and out of their lanes, etc.

I see no reason, society should excuse, tolerate, or forgive this behavior, which is killing many on our roadways, already!

Don

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/textin...ering-problem/

birdsong 02-17-2017 09:28 AM

I think we should treat this exactly like drunk driving since it has the same potential to kill. Huge fines, automatically off to jail, and so on. Now, at least here, it is $150 fine. Hardly a deterrent.

Vet Interested 02-17-2017 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by birdsong (Post 1594112968)
I think we should treat this exactly like drunk driving since it has the same potential to kill. Huge fines, automatically off to jail, and so on. Now, at least here, it is $150 fine. Hardly a deterrent.

Hardly a deterrent is right. And they don't enforce it. I saw a cop pass a girl who was texting on a city street while driving. He looked directly at her, honked his horn and kept going. Raise the fine up to $400 and enforce it. But then they would also be enforcing the cell phone ban which you would swear does not exist. RANT OVER!:cuss

birdsong 02-17-2017 12:38 PM

Yeah, if treated like a DUI the fine and court costs would be $10K. The you have peoples attention.

rwpatte 02-17-2017 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wilson (Post 1594107626)
I almost had a PIT maneuver done on me in our Jeep yesterday by a dumbs##t girl texting. Glancing on the side mirror , saw her drifting to within a few inches of my left rear quarter. She looked up and swerved back almost losing it. I dropped back to maybe give her a dirty look, and she went by STILL TEXTING!!! Could not believe it! End of rant. :cheers:

Com'on Dennis, you wanted to see if she was good looking.:rock:

Pat

Wildmanht 02-17-2017 09:52 PM

Really is amazing on all the people that still text and drive. I use my 4x4 Truck as my daily driver so I see all the time looking down on cars I pass that people are. Not to stereotype but from my observations the majority is very high with female drivers.

pcfred 02-17-2017 11:58 PM

Glad you dodged that one Dennis :eek:

vinceg 02-19-2017 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by pcfred (Post 1594119176)
Glad you dodged that one Dennis :eek:

:cheers: Yeah at your age you need to be careful :hide: Glad you guys are alright.

Dennis Wilson 02-19-2017 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by vinceg (Post 1594127053)
:cheers: Yeah at your age you need to be careful :hide: Glad you guys are alright.

But....But..... I`m really young for my age!!! :D

F4 Phantom 03-09-2017 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by birdsong (Post 1594112968)

:iagree:I recently read a study report that said talking on a cell phone and driving is as dangerous as drunk driving. Driving and texting, constantly taking your eyes off the road, has to be much more dangerous.:ack:

birdsong 03-09-2017 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom (Post 1594262077)
:iagree:I recently read a study report that said talking on a cell phone and driving is as dangerous as drunk driving. Driving and texting, constantly taking your eyes off the road, has to be much more dangerous.:ack:

:iagree:
As well as the above, who pays the bill for the damage caused by that thoughtless action? In my case I survived the accident, but not by much. That little truck landed drivers side down with my left arm between the door and the road. Nearly tore it off. My head hit the pavement. 30 staples in my head. 5 1/2 hours of surgery with 2 surgeons to repair as much of my arm as possible. The medical bills alone were nearly $80K the first day. Over 300K in total. The person who hit me had 30K worth of liability insurance.

whalepirot 03-10-2017 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wildmanht (Post 1594118477)
Really is amazing on all the people that still text and drive. I use my 4x4 Truck as my daily driver so I see all the time looking down on cars I pass that people are. Not to stereotype but from my observations the majority is very high with female drivers.

Agreed, totally. As a bike rider, too, I profile cars and drivers as a defensive driver tactic! Then, there are those da**ed dark tinted windows, so we cannot tell if the driver might see me!

NORTY 03-20-2017 12:25 AM

True, motorcyclists need to be hyper vigilant.

We also use our "spidey senses."