CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Is this why 2017 C7 production stops 4/13? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3945277-is-this-why-2017-c7-production-stops-4-13-a.html)

CRABBYJ 02-16-2017 03:33 PM

Is this why 2017 C7 production stops 4/13?

Read this AP report on Yahoo. Interesting. Probably in addition to the new plant expansion coming on line.:flag:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...=yahoo&ref=yfp

"It's no secret that U.S. consumers prefer SUVs and trucks nowadays, and that means car sales are sliding. That's forcing automakers to offer big discounts to sell them. Car sales fell to just 36 percent of U.S. auto sales last month, a record low for a January. Generally, discounts are bigger on cars with the highest inventory. Here are the top 10 cars with the biggest stockpiles, measured by the number of days the inventory could meet demand at the current sales rate:

Brand Vehicle Days' supply
Buick Lacrosse 330
Buick Cascada 298
Chevrolet Corvette 267
Volkswagen CC 259
Chevrolet Camaro 236
Buick Verano 234
Mitsubishi Mirage 231
Acura ILX 227
Chrysler 200 225
Buick Regal 222
Source: WardsAuto"

Foosh 02-16-2017 04:43 PM

Yes, that and as you said the changeover to the new facilities at the BG plant.

Snowwolfe 02-16-2017 04:46 PM

Looks like Buick is falling out of flavor big time.

DickieDoo 02-16-2017 04:54 PM

Looks to me that there should be deals for BUICK

rmorin1249 02-16-2017 04:57 PM

All I can say is I wish I were in the market for a new Corvette or Buick. There have to be some super awesome deals out there or there will be in the near future.

maxp 02-16-2017 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ (Post 1594108004)
Read this AP report on Yahoo. Interesting. Probably in addition to the new plant expansion coming on line.:flag:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...=yahoo&ref=yfp

"It's no secret that U.S. consumers prefer SUVs and trucks nowadays, and that means car sales are sliding. That's forcing automakers to offer big discounts to sell them. Car sales fell to just 36 percent of U.S. auto sales last month, a record low for a January. Generally, discounts are bigger on cars with the highest inventory. Here are the top 10 cars with the biggest stockpiles, measured by the number of days the inventory could meet demand at the current sales rate:

Brand Vehicle Days' supply
Buick Lacrosse 330
Buick Cascada 298
Chevrolet Corvette 267
Volkswagen CC 259
Chevrolet Camaro 236
Buick Verano 234
Mitsubishi Mirage 231
Acura ILX 227
Chrysler 200 225
Buick Regal 222
Source: WardsAuto"

so GM has 6 of the 10, interesting

PLRX 02-16-2017 05:47 PM

Cars last longer than 20 years ago nowadays, and money has never grown on trees.

Larry M 02-16-2017 05:59 PM

Plant is going to be down for months. C'mon guys, of course they're going to build inventory to bridge the gap to 2018. Also it's January, not a terrible idea to stabilize the labor force by overbuilding early to meet peak season demand without the need for overtime and temps.

Old Goat MN 02-16-2017 06:23 PM

When I visited last year in Nov they were running OT putting out as many cars as possible. Could explain the glut

RaceMic 02-16-2017 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Larry M (Post 1594109157)
Plant is going to be down for months. C'mon guys, of course they're going to build inventory to bridge the gap to 2018. Also it's January, not a terrible idea to stabilize the labor force by overbuilding early to meet peak season demand without the need for overtime and temps.

:iagree:

vbdenny 02-16-2017 09:21 PM

Last Buick I owned had a massive 455CID with THM400 and 12 bolt posi which was actually good fun. Since none of those cherished options are offered anymore, I'll stick with the Corvette. They are much more fun anyway. Buicks are for old people. I mean really old people. People too old to climb into a Corvette anyway which is who I bought mine from after they died. $250 bucks for 370hp? Totalled it, not my fault but that 455 did a good number on a Mercury Montego.

Buicks are great cars for golfing, church, shopping, dinner with friends and stuff like that. You know, boring stuff. Although you can fit two people in a Corvette, they are really best for one person as you'll so get tired of hearing people whimper while you worry about them soiling your upholstery. There is no "oh Jesus" handle in a Corvette so best to leave them on the curb prior to having fun.

berk4422 02-16-2017 11:13 PM

:iagree::rofl::rofl:

VETTE-NV 02-17-2017 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Larry M (Post 1594109157)

It's February. February 16. Do you have a time machine?:D

Skid Row Joe 02-17-2017 04:03 AM

Buicks are excellent over the road cruisers. Smooth as silk and plenty of room for people and cargo.

Chevrolet knows what they're doing. I would not get worried about their closing time.

Larry M 02-17-2017 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1594111835)
It's February. February 16. Do you have a time machine?:D

Haha sorry, I was writing a bunch of January sales summaries at work yesterday so my mind was in a different place.

Heck, lucky I'm not talking Q4 2016, I just finished our competitive write up and slides for year end town hall results :willy:

Working like crazy lately, at least it's helping kill time until my Z06 order comes in :willy::willy::willy:

GR Jay 02-17-2017 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by vbdenny (Post 1594110606)
Last Buick I owned had a massive 455CID with THM400 and 12 bolt posi which was actually good fun. Since none of those cherished options are offered anymore, I'll stick with the Corvette. They are much more fun anyway. Buicks are for old people. I mean really old people. People too old to climb into a Corvette anyway which is who I bought mine from after they died. $250 bucks for 370hp? Totalled it, not my fault but that 455 did a good number on a Mercury Montego.

Buicks are great cars for golfing, church, shopping, dinner with friends and stuff like that. You know, boring stuff. Although you can fit two people in a Corvette, they are really best for one person as you'll so get tired of hearing people whimper while you worry about them soiling your upholstery. There is no "oh Jesus" handle in a Corvette so best to leave them on the curb prior to having fun.

Hate to break it to you but the median age of a Corvette buyer is now 61 years old, while the median age of a Buick buyer is now 59. This is why I was slightly hesitant to buy a Vette. Even non-car people seem to know that Corvettes are popular with the geriatric crowd.

thill444 02-17-2017 07:43 AM

The numbers are a little misleading. If they are using January sales as a guide for the rest of the year it is definitely misleading as January Corvette sales are, historically, slow. Between ramping up production for the shutdown. I suspect that they will have more than enough cars for folks not wanting custom or specific combinations, and discounts will readily be had. But the 267 number is probably bogus.

Larry/car 02-17-2017 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by vbdenny (Post 1594110606)

:D So when are you taking delivery of your Buick?

Fcar 98 02-18-2017 12:53 PM

If the size of cars get any smaller they won't sell any. Cars at one time were capable of carrying a family of 4 comfortably. Not any more. I owned 84 caprice, 93 caprice 96 Impala SS. All capable. 08 Impala SS, no way. Size matters!!!!

Poor-sha 02-18-2017 02:27 PM

Lets be honest. Buick only exists as an entity still because it is popular in the Chinese market. Otherwise it would have gone the way of Pontiac a long time ago.