CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Fitech Go EFI 400hp installed on my 78 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3957029-fitech-go-efi-400hp-installed-on-my-78-a.html)

78BlackVette 03-12-2017 01:24 PM

Fitech Go EFI 400hp installed on my 78

Hey, Guys!
I'm new to the forum but I just installed the Fitech Go EFI 400hp with Command Center on my 1978 with 350. I have posted a youtube video about the install and first start-up! It might seem boring at first but it gets better!! Just wanted you guys to take a look and give your feedback if I did anything wrong! I will post more videos as I drive the car and learn the system. Here is the link if I can do this right:confused:

theandies 03-12-2017 03:58 PM

Is that a ZZ4? If so how does it perform? Can this kit use two O2 sensors since I had true dual exhaust (or does that matter)?
I think this is my next big upgrade. The biggest hurdle is my '71 has a non-vented gas tank but there are a number of solutions to that. How does the commander work? Any problems with it? I think I'll just go with their high pressure pump kit unless I assemble something on my own.

78BlackVette 03-12-2017 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 1594283498)
Is that a ZZ4? If so how does it perform? Can this kit use two O2 sensors since I had true dual exhaust (or does that matter)?
I think this is my next big upgrade. The biggest hurdle is my '71 has a non-vented gas tank but there are a number of solutions to that. How does the commander work? Any problems with it? I think I'll just go with their high pressure pump kit unless I assemble something on my own.

I'm not sure if it's a ZZ4. I also have true duel exhaust however you only need to install the 02 sensor on one side. I chose at the back of the header on drivers side. I'm in the process of "experimenting" with the vented gas cap as I did notice pressure in the tank when I removed my stock cap. Command center seems to work fine. IMO I think the vented cap has a lot to do with issues people have had with the command center. If the weather allows, I'm going for my first drive today. I'll keep you posted!

theandies 03-12-2017 05:34 PM

Check the block on the passenger side front where the factory VIN number would be stamped. It should say ZZ4 if it is.
Can't wait to hear about your test drive.

78BlackVette 03-12-2017 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 1594284054)
Check the block on the passenger side front where the factory VIN number would be stamped. It should say ZZ4 if it is.
Can't wait to hear about your test drive.

Went for first drive! It snowed last night but the roads cleared enough for a couple mile drive. Overall i'm pleased, it did stumble at first when I would let off and give it gas but the more I drove it the better it got. This being a self learning system, I'm confident the more I drive this will go away. So far I can only say the system has exceeded my expectation! It comes from Fitech with preset values on things like IAC, Cold Cranking Fuel Pressure, Warm Cranking Fuel Pressure, and others I'm still learning. Since this system can be installed on various motors, they set the values at a "happy medium" to get you started. You can then fine tune these values for optimum performance and helps the system adjust quicker to your motor. At least that's my understanding of the system so far! Still gotta check to see if my motor is a ZZ4, I'll let you know! One clarification on 02 sensor location, I installed it just in front of where the header bolts to the exhaust pipe on drivers side, it must collect exhaust from all four cylinders on one side to be accurate. Also if you install it on the pipe and get an exhaust leak at the header flange it could cause false readings!

RBrid 03-12-2017 08:14 PM

Great video. Thanks for taking the time to make it. :cheers:

Gordonm 03-12-2017 08:43 PM

This is good news. I have installed a few FI systems but this one intrigued me. I currently have one sitting in the garage waiting to Ben installed on a forum members car along with a TKO 600. The motor is a roller cammed 327 with around 380ish HP. Not looking for more hp just better diveablity. Probably going to start the install in a few weeks. Shouldn't take to long as I have the new Tanks inc tank all setup ready to go. Just need to run another return fuel line. FI is the way to go nowadays. Threw all my carb stuff out and sold my last carb a few months ago.

78BlackVette 03-12-2017 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by RBrid (Post 1594285188)
Great video. Thanks for taking the time to make it. :cheers:

Your Welcome! I think it took longer to edit and post the video than it did to install the system :lol:

Buccaneer 03-12-2017 09:26 PM

Nice vid and thanks for posting. I have a couple questions though. I plan on going to a Holley Sniper system that they came out with which is pretty nice and will be yet another project with my motor.

The questions are, either I missed it in the vid or you don't have to set the TPS on that system? Most systems that are self tuning require you to set idle and WOT so that the ECM knows what the blade angle is at both settings via the hand held display at initial setup. Did you have to do that? Also, did they give you a NB or WB 02 sensor? Again, I would think that they gave you a WB for the tuning side. Thanks and nice job. :thumbs:

78BlackVette 03-12-2017 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1594285684)
Nice vid and thanks for posting. I have a couple questions though. I plan on going to a Holley Sniper system that they came out with which is pretty nice and will be yet another project with my motor.

The questions are, either I missed it in the vid or you don't have to set the TPS on that system? Most systems that are self tuning require you to set idle and WOT so that the ECM knows what the blade angle is at both settings via the hand held display at initial setup. Did you have to do that? Also, did they give you a NB or WB 02 sensor? Again, I would think that they gave you a NB for the tuning side. Thanks and nice job. :thumbs:

02 sensor is a Bosch Wideband. All others are GM style. From my understanding of the system, Fitech puts preset values in from the factory to get you going. Once you get it started you do the following for idle: There is a "idle" screw on the front drivers side of the unit. You turn that screw in (clockwise) 1/2 turn, turn your key and go to the TPS on the dashboard. MAKE SURE IT READS 0. If not, turn your key off and wait till the value showing goes away. Next, start your motor and scroll down to the IAC STEPS. This value should read between 3 and 10 at warm idle. If it reads less than 3 you slowly, and I mean SLOWLY turn the screw out (counterclockwise) till the value is between 3 and 10. If it reads more than 10, shut off the motor and repeat the process. Just make sure you are doing this after the motor is warm. On cold starts your IAC steps are much higher and will drop as the motor warms up. I'm working on another video showing this and will post it soon. As far as WOT, there was nothing in the directions about setting that. I know it shows values for WOT once you drive it but haven't made it there yet with only a very short drive today being my first! Hope this helps! Still learning myself so I will post my progress as I go :thumbs:

This information was not in my instructions that came with the system. I actually found this on Fitechs website in their tech info. The only "Engine Set Up" you enter into the screen before initial start was what I did in the video!

Metalhead140 03-13-2017 06:34 PM

I've got the Fitech 600hp power adder model on my ~500hp 383. Love it. Have it controlling timing as well, I've done a bit over 3000 miles since getting it running right over Christmas. Haven't had the handset plugged in since about 800 miles after install, it just works. Drove 1000 miles in 5 days (driving holiday) a week ago. Gets better economy than I ever achieved with the Quadrajet on the stock engine! Runs sweet, starts easy, runs nice cold... I'm super impressed with it, makes my fairly grumpy engine very tractable and driveable, I love it!

78BlackVette 03-13-2017 07:07 PM

I almost bought the 600hp system but wasn't sure my motor had the HP to make it function properly. The 400hp system doesn't control timing but it seems to be doing great so far. I can definitely see me removing the screen from inside the car once the system gets dialed in. Maybe plugging it up on occasion to check the stats. The modern look just don't fit the classic corvette interior.

Buccaneer 03-13-2017 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 78BlackVette (Post 1594286291)
02 sensor is a Bosch Wideband. All others are GM style. From my understanding of the system, Fitech puts preset values in from the factory to get you going. Once you get it started you do the following for idle: There is a "idle" screw on the front drivers side of the unit. You turn that screw in (clockwise) 1/2 turn, turn your key and go to the TPS on the dashboard. MAKE SURE IT READS 0. If not, turn your key off and wait till the value showing goes away. Next, start your motor and scroll down to the IAC STEPS. This value should read between 3 and 10 at warm idle. If it reads less than 3 you slowly, and I mean SLOWLY turn the screw out (counterclockwise) till the value is between 3 and 10. If it reads more than 10, shut off the motor and repeat the process. Just make sure you are doing this after the motor is warm. On cold starts your IAC steps are much higher and will drop as the motor warms up. I'm working on another video showing this and will post it soon. As far as WOT, there was nothing in the directions about setting that. I know it shows values for WOT once you drive it but haven't made it there yet with only a very short drive today being my first! Hope this helps! Still learning myself so I will post my progress as I go :thumbs:

This information was not in my instructions that came with the system. I actually found this on Fitechs website in their tech info. The only "Engine Set Up" you enter into the screen before initial start was what I did in the video!

That's interesting, thanks for the reply. :thumbs: I may call them.

rcread 03-13-2017 07:26 PM

I was looking at EFIs for my '71 but they are all taller than the Quadrajet and I have zero room to spare.

OURSHARK 03-14-2017 09:15 AM

Nice video well done.:thumbs: How did you pick the Fitech over the other brands?

78BlackVette 03-14-2017 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by OURSHARK (Post 1594295443)
Nice video well done.:thumbs: How did you pick the Fitech over the other brands?

I liked the fact the the ECU is built into the unit with no separate box to mount and extra wire harness to deal with. Has fuel pressure regulator included unlike other brands. Just seemed like you got the best bang for the buck! Although, the Holley Sniper seems to be the competition, I liked the Command Center option with this unit. Mainly because of the minimal modifications you must do the car's fuel system. If I ever want to put my Holley Carb back on the car, it's just a matter of removing my fuel line at the filter I installed and hooking it to the filter/pressure gauge on the Holley! I could easily have the car back to the way it was in about an hour and the only "scars" left would be the patched hole in the exhaust!

Buccaneer 03-14-2017 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by rcread (Post 1594292377)
I was looking at EFIs for my '71 but they are all taller than the Quadrajet and I have zero room to spare.

Not sure if you want to do this, but take a look at the Weiand Accelerator manifold spec. I think it sits lower and may work if you want to go that route.

rcread 03-14-2017 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1594298391)
Not sure if you want to do this, but take a look at the Weiand Accelerator manifold spec. I think it sits lower and may work if you want to go that route.

Thanks! I'll take a look at that.

theandies 03-14-2017 04:02 PM

Can one of you that has the FITech measure the height of the unit. My Vette is a '71 and want to see how tall it is because of what rcread posted.

78BlackVette 03-14-2017 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 1594298633)
Can one of you that has the FITech measure the height of the unit. My Vette is a '71 and want to see how tall it is because of what rcread posted.

Specs for the 400hp says 3 9/16". According to my first picture below that looks about right, I wasn't including the gasket. The second picture is overall height with the air cleaner which looks close to 7 inches. The air cleaner came with the car but I think it's an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 1221! Hope this helps!

Attachment 48072933

Attachment 48072934