CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   To paint or not to paint (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3957906-to-paint-or-not-to-paint.html)

Badsam 03-14-2017 11:00 AM

To paint or not to paint

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm ready to sell my 1973 Convertible. It still has mostly original paint on it, and some very 70's graphics. It even has the original owners initials monogrammed on top of both doors in gold. It also has a plaque with their names on it on the dash. I bought the car from the original family, it had been passed to a brother, then the brothers son.

It will still buff out good and glossy, but the paint is fading in different spots, old touch ups are really starting to show, not to mention all the nicks and scratches it has received over it's life.

I'm torn, I would really like to see the car stay the way it is, but I also worry I will be the only one who appreciates it and either not be able to sell or not get a fair price.

I have a friend who can paint it for me basically for the cost of the paint supplies.

What do y'all think.

71 Green 454 03-14-2017 11:17 AM

If your friend will paint it for cost of supplies, then I would do it. Keep it the same factory color. Who will be doing the preparation?

pigfarmer 03-14-2017 11:17 AM

paint

Originally Posted by Badsam (Post 1594296257)
So I'm ready to sell my 1973 Convertible. It still has mostly original paint on it, and some very 70's graphics. It even has the original owners initials monogrammed on top of both doors in gold. It also has a plaque with their names on it on the dash. I bought the car from the original family, it had been passed to a brother, then the brothers son.

It will still buff out good and glossy, but the paint is fading in different spots, old touch ups are really starting to show, not to mention all the nicks and scratches it has received over it's life.

I'm torn, I would really like to see the car stay the way it is, but I also worry I will be the only one who appreciates it and either not be able to sell or not get a fair price.

I have a friend who can paint it for me basically for the cost of the paint supplies.

What do y'all think.

Why not try to sell it as is ? You never know who will show up to have a look.

If you do paint it I'd bring it back to whatever its original color was and lose the dashboard plaque.

Mr D. 03-14-2017 11:21 AM

I would sell it as-is and let then next owner incur the cost of re-paint. You stated you have a friend who can paint it for you basically for the cost of the paint supplies so I'm guessing this will just be a Mow & Blow type paint job which would do the car no justice.

69Vett 03-14-2017 11:33 AM

I would not throw a quick cheap paint job on it.
Sell as is, quick paint job is very noticeable and frequently done to hide poor body or paint we work. The time required to do a proper paint job will Not come for free.

robjr67 03-14-2017 11:55 AM

:iagree: - If your not in a hurry to sell it, I would try selling it like it is... You may find that person who appreciates it like you....:cheers:

leadfoot4 03-14-2017 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454 (Post 1594296374)
If your friend will paint it for cost of supplies, then I would do it. Keep it the same factory color. Who will be doing the preparation?

:iagree:

cv67 03-14-2017 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 69Vett (Post 1594296524)
I would not throw a quick cheap paint job on it.
Sell as is, quick paint job is very noticeable and frequently done to hide poor body or paint we work. The time required to do a proper paint job will Not come for free.

:iagree:
sell as is

Badsam 03-14-2017 12:52 PM

My buddy paints cars for a living, so he would do the prep work or supervise me helping him!!!!

However, I am encouraged, seems like a few people seem to think others may appreciate it.

Sunstroked 03-14-2017 01:25 PM

I dont know if too many potential buyers would appreciate the paint as it is now, but speaking from experience, painting a car correctly involves a lot more than a few hrs of prep. I also agree that it may be best to sell as is. Let the new owner invest the time and money to do it right.

MISTERZ06 03-14-2017 01:52 PM

Save yourself a lot of frustration - paint supplies are Big $
"Sell as Is"
........................................ ........... tom

terry82 03-14-2017 04:52 PM

I would sell as is . some may think you are hiding something .some may want a different color .hard to get back the cost .If it does not sell ,paint it .you might like it so much again you wont sell.

75CORVT 03-14-2017 05:16 PM

Not that I can afford it, but what were you asking for it , today,as is,monograms and all, drive away ?

orourke 03-14-2017 06:17 PM

Sell as is!

7T1vette 03-15-2017 12:10 AM

Regardless of what you have, what condition it is in, and whether you like it or not....someone will want what you have.

Make an estimate of how much TOTAL cost there will be in getting a "buddy" paint job, then try to sell the car "as is" for what you would LIKE to get for the car LESS THE PAINT EXPENSE THAT YOU WILL NOT YET HAVE. If you can sell it for that amount, do it. If you can't, then maybe you go to the trouble of painting the car....and trying to get what you want, again.

P.S. Don't forget all the tape, masking paper, time and effort to prep the car, etc. etc. A paint job will ALWAYS cost you twice what you think it will cost--even if it is a "buddy" job. :yesnod:

The Punisher 03-15-2017 02:06 AM

I guess I don't understand. You want to sell the car but care about whether or not the new owner will appreciate it.

Badsam 03-15-2017 09:24 AM

I'm pretty sentimental about my cars. I once refused to sell a 69 Suburban C20 because the guy who wanted it mentioned he was going to cut it up and make a 4 door pickup out of it. It was too nice and rare of a Suburban to do that to.

So yes, I do care about who buys the car and if they appreciate it or not. Very much so.

7T1vette 03-15-2017 11:47 AM

Advertise it "as is" and see what response you get. :thumbs:

The13Bats 03-15-2017 12:03 PM

I love survivors and my thing is mods and customs same old same old stock is boring to me, i respect people who like it stock just not my cup o tea,

I find it super cool that even though you desire to sell it you still care about it,

Customs, even ones just paint or skin deep are many times only truely loved by their creator, yours from the picture seems a nice 70s paint theme not too far from jobs place like motion and avlis did,

I do believe that while it might take longer to sell as is, might not, in the long run i doubt you will loose a penny on it leaving the paint as is, someone will dig the history, people dig old scool customs,

Bone stock is not the majority any longer more c3s are modded, perhaps the mods are not radical but if its not the way chevy made it...its a mod.

redcruz1120 03-15-2017 12:14 PM

As Is

I'd try to sell as is. By adding another coat you're probably creating more work for the next owner or another layer to remove.