CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Interesting article: Corvette build vs. Ferrari build (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3959135-interesting-article-corvette-build-vs-ferrari-build.html)

Steve Garrett 03-16-2017 08:02 PM

Interesting article: Corvette build vs. Ferrari build

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#25ced006718a

This will cause a lot of conversation.......

Kevin Marshall 03-16-2017 08:10 PM

I didn't even read the article because it's a moot point.

Italy has nothing on the good old USA.

Let the games begin.

:-) Kevin

thill444 03-16-2017 08:12 PM

I thought the article was pretty poor, and not really earth shattering. The Corvette is mass produced in large numbers by robots and factory workers with smaller profit margins. Ferrari is built in very limited quantities by hand with nicer materials and has larger profit margins. The target buyer is often very different...

Snowwolfe 03-16-2017 08:21 PM

If someone gave me a Ferrari for the price of the Corvette and I could not flip the car I would pass. The maintenance is to high and they are not as reliable.

snow 03-16-2017 08:46 PM

Vette FTFW!

You can keep the pasta wagon.

Kevin Marshall 03-16-2017 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe (Post 1594316126)
If someone gave me a Ferrari for the price of the Corvette and I could not flip the car I would pass. The maintenance is to high and they are not as reliable.

I could be having a rare moment,

I don't care how much money I had or have?

There is not a car I would rather have in the entire world at any price other than a new ZO6 Corvette.

There are many people that post here with far more means and intelligence than I.

But to me America is on top, the Corvette represents an unbelievable value and is a supercar beyond comprehension for most people.

Those are my sincerest thoughts about something that I have passion over and has given me joy in my life that I share with everyone else on this forum.

Kevin:cheers:

Mrc100 03-16-2017 09:04 PM

^^^ Very cool!

Steve Garrett 03-16-2017 09:11 PM

Well said, Kevin....thank you.

4thC4at60 03-16-2017 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe (Post 1594316126)

Interesting..... How long did you own your Ferrari and how much did you drive it?

Originally Posted by Kevin Marshall (Post 1594316318)

There is not a car I would rather have in the entire world at any price other than a new ZO6 Corvette.

There are many people that post here with far more means and intelligence than I.

But to me America is on top, the Corvette represents an unbelievable value and is a supercar beyond comprehension for most people.

Those are my sincerest thoughts about something that I have passion over and has given me joy in my life that I share with everyone else on this forum.

I've been driving Corvettes as daily drivers for 27 years. I have amassed more than 600,000 miles in Corvettes - C1, C4, C5, C6, and now C7. I love Corvettes - but to give up my Ferrari? Not gonna happen.

Snowwolfe 03-16-2017 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60 (Post 1594317246)
Interesting..... How long did you own your Ferrari and how much did you drive it?

Never owned one
Never said I did
So don't put words in my mouth.

\Boost Monkey/ 03-16-2017 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Marshall (Post 1594316318)

Just out of my own curiosity:

Have you owned or driven a Ferrari, Mclaren, Lambo, etc, or any other car considered at minimum supercar status?

While your value point is oh so true (and I also personally believe there is no better value on planet earth), with unlimited funds I would be singing a different tune.

Bang for your buck and all around better car are two entirely different things.

ExRedRacer 03-16-2017 11:46 PM

I wasn't aware that I was driving a cheap car. What must he think of the more pedestrian cars costing less than $30K?

I know, I know, he was comparing the Vette to the Farrari, but he did call the Vette a cheap car in his opening.

4thC4at60 03-17-2017 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe (Post 1594317350)
Never owned one
Never said I did
So don't put words in my mouth.

Well, no, but you said they were unreliable. I assumed you owned one otherwise how would you actually know?

Since I own one I can validly disagree with you. I put about 10K miles a year on mine. Split the DD duties between it and the C7 with the C7 getting driven about 6,000 miles a year more than the Ferrari due to the larger trunk space.

DrDyno 03-17-2017 01:54 AM

Have driven LOTS of Ferraris...

Back in the mid 70's my wife was the Title Clerk for Wide World of Cars, New York's largest Ferrari franchise in Spring Valley, NY. At the time, I owned a Mobil Service Station and was a Certified NY State Motor Vehicle Inspector. There wasn't an Italian at Wide World who could read English well enough to get Motor Vehicle Inspection Certification so... I inspected all of their cars, new and used.

The inspection didn't require driving but, Wide World used me to pick up and deliver Ferraris (and other exotics) around the country. So, I've driven quite a few, mostly 308's and several other of the 1970's era Ferraris, Lambos and Aston Martins.

The Aston Martin's felt just like GTO's. The Lambo's felt like my C7. However, the Ferraris were in a class by themselves. I love my C7... easily the best of the 13 or 14 C1-C4 Corvettes I've owned, a totally different and superior car.

HOWEVER... if I had the bucks, like 4thC4at60, next to my C7 I'd have a Prancing Horse in the garage! :thumbs:

PS- I'd bet even money the author of that article has never even been a passenger in a Ferrari!

patentcad 03-17-2017 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60 (Post 1594317259)
- but to give up my Ferrari? Not gonna happen.

I would never relinquish my Ferraris. Happily mine are all 1/18 scale model cars so they are low maintenance.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...79f177b403.jpg

Snowwolfe 03-17-2017 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60 (Post 1594317532)
Well, no, but you said they were unreliable. I assumed you owned one otherwise how would you actually know?

Since I own one I can validly disagree with you. I put about 10K miles a year on mine. Split the DD duties between it and the C7 with the C7 getting driven about 6,000 miles a year more than the Ferrari due to the larger trunk space.

You got me there (on reliability). I never owned one. My comments were based on a few car nuts I knew over the years who owned them and passed the info to me.

How about maintenance? What is the cost for a dealer to change the oil and filter? How about belt changes? Any other required items needed the first 60K or so?

Kevin Marshall 03-17-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/ (Post 1594317373)
Just out of my own curiosity:

Have you owned or driven a Ferrari, Mclaren, Lambo, etc, or any other car considered at minimum supercar status?

While your value point is oh so true (and I also personally believe there is no better value on planet earth), with unlimited funds I would be singing a different tune.

Bang for your buck and all around better car are two entirely different things.

My only deviation was a Mercedes SL 63.

That is their version of a ZO6 with a hand built engine.

To me that car was not near as fun to drive as the new ZO6 and was twice the money new. Outside of that, as far as the other cars the Ferrari and the Lambo I've only driven them very short drives, so I don't have the correct time in them, experience or acumen to comment about them.

I just wanted to reply So I was not being rude,

Thank you so much Kevin:cheers:

F4 Phantom 03-17-2017 11:25 AM

Steven-

Why did you close my my thread on the same subject and open this one an hour and 20 minutes later?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594315904

yeller z06 03-17-2017 11:44 AM

Unfortunately, what could have been an interesting, enlightening article was instead written by a moron who used generalities and incorrect facts to prove his point, whatever it was.

The primary difference between the two is the incredible profit margin of the Ferrari. Ferrari uses their road cars' profits to subsidize their racing.

ZenicaPA 03-17-2017 12:30 PM

I have driven Ferrari, both in Vegas and a friends. It felt like driving a F1 car. Not anything I'd want to DD. In the 2 hour drive we took, my ass, lower back, legs and headache did not look forward to the return 2 hour drive. It rode too harsh for my preference and the seats too unforgiving. I would hate to think what the carpet bombed roads around me would do to that car with a suspension that firm.