CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Rear brake piston wont retract into caliper (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3965124-rear-brake-piston-wont-retract-into-caliper.html)

Chicago1 03-29-2017 01:15 AM

Rear brake piston wont retract into caliper

I dont know what I did but I was putting the brakes back on and the piston was pushed out like I had it the brakes. Ok no big deal get my brake set to push it back in and nothing it wont budge back into place...Hmmm ok odd but let me get more leverage and hold it in the vice while I turn the handle on the brake tool..Again nothing...Ok so I take a pipe slip it onto the handle on the brake tool and put my back into it....Nothing I'm bending the damn handle on the brake tool..Ok now let me put it in the jaws of the vice grips..Crank it down and the whole bench is lifting up and still it doesn't budge..WTF happened?

SG Lou 03-29-2017 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1594407975)
I dont know what I did but I was putting the brakes back on and the piston was pushed out like I had it the brakes. Ok no big deal get my brake set to push it back in and nothing it wont budge back into place...Hmmm ok odd but let me get more leverage and hold it in the vice while I turn the handle on the brake tool..Again nothing...Ok so I take a pipe slip it onto the handle on the brake tool and put my back into it....Nothing I'm bending the damn handle on the brake tool..Ok now let me put it in the jaws of the vice grips..Crank it down and the whole bench is lifting up and still it doesn't budge..WTF happened?

Classic example of a seized caliper.....time for a rebuild or replacement.

feeder82 03-29-2017 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SG Lou (Post 1594408272)
Classic example of a seized caliper.....time for a rebuild or replacement.

:iagree:

Chicago1 03-29-2017 01:35 PM

How did it get seized though? Anyone know where to get the rebuilt or just buy a used one for like 60 bucks? Also since I have it completely when I go to put the new one it do I need a tech 2 to bleed the brakes?

SG Lou 03-29-2017 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1594411271)
How did it get seized though? Anyone know where to get the rebuilt or just buy a used one for like 60 bucks? Also since I have it completely when I go to put the new one it do I need a tech 2 to bleed the brakes?

You can buy new, re-manufactured or used the choice is up to you.
As for a Tech 2 ? It wouldn't hurt to bleed the brakes with it but i have done it on my Silverado without it.........

Chicago1 03-29-2017 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by SG Lou (Post 1594411367)
You can buy new, re-manufactured or used the choice is up to you.
As for a Tech 2 ? It wouldn't hurt to bleed the brakes with it but i have done it on my Silverado without it.........

Ok thanks gents

Z06_ER 03-29-2017 09:06 PM

I had this same thing happen to me the other week. Before you run out and get new caliper take a look at the piston coming out of the caliper. Mine was at a slight angle. Tried to compress with no success. I re alligned the piston in the caliper and it went back in. Try gently tapping on the side of the piston to get it to shift.

Chicago1 03-29-2017 11:43 PM

^ yes it is at a angle...exactly like you just described. Did you hit it with a hammer or take it out? shoot me a pm with your number

Smoken1 03-30-2017 12:05 PM

If your going to do it that way use a brass hammer so you don't damage the piston

Chicago1 04-02-2017 09:25 AM

Got it compressed or Tcruse got it but I think I am going to buy a new one. I think I messed it up before he was able to get it compressed.

helga203 04-02-2017 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1594437895)
Got it compressed or Tcruse got it but I think I am going to buy a new one. I think I messed it up before he was able to get it compressed.

Sorry off topic. You Ever get your over heating fuel problem solved??

Chicago1 04-02-2017 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by helga203 (Post 1594438205)
Sorry off topic. You Ever get your over heating fuel problem solved??

We shall see this week. Car has been down over a year beacuse I bought a Jeep Wrangler so that took the focus off. I did put new tanks in and crossover tube, ls7 maf,80lbs..So we shall see if not I'll be taking it to a shop. Wish me luck.:cheers:

helga203 04-02-2017 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1594439164)
We shall see this week. Car has been down over a year beacuse I bought a Jeep Wrangler so that took the focus off. I did put new tanks in and crossover tube, ls7 maf,80lbs..So we shall see if not I'll be taking it to a shop. Wish me luck.:cheers:

What a headache. hope you get this time. GL:thumbs::thumbs:

catso 04-03-2017 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Smoken1 (Post 1594418239)
If your going to do it that way use a brass hammer so you don't damage the piston

He would be better off using wood blocks and some kind of c-clamp set-up to get it started straight. Then take it out and replace the piston seal at the very least. I prefer to rebuild mine, not buy rebuilt; you can't be always sure of getting the exact one and occasionally will get a defective unit.

Smoken1 04-03-2017 05:25 PM

When Chicago1 asked if he hit it with a hammer thats why I suggested a brass hammer and not a regular hammer.

Chicago1 04-03-2017 07:17 PM

finally got the car running after 1.5 years gots no brakes now they need to be bled but I just bought a new one.Now just need my tech 2