CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   LMC5, Brown Wire Mod, still pull key... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3972395-lmc5-brown-wire-mod-still-pull-key.html)

Christian327 04-12-2017 05:02 PM

LMC5, Brown Wire Mod, still pull key...

So here's the story. I got the dreaded but ticking time bomb of the column lock. Luckily I had the lmc5 in the trunk so I (with the amazing guidance of Richard at ComplianceParts) got the steering wheel unlocked and everything seemed great. Fast forward a couple of days and I started to get the pull key wait 10 seconds. It was a nuisance but nothing super crucial so I postponed doing the brown wire mod (All I had to do was take the key out and try again and the car would start up fine). Fast forward a couple of weeks later, I got the pull key wait 10 seconds, but now it wouldnt disappear. It would keep coming up and there was no way for me to go anywhere with the 2mph shutoff. I had to get the car towed to my house. After talking to Rich, he said this shouldnt be happening even when people havent done the brown wire mod. Nevertheless I did the brown wire mod and it looked like I fixed it & everything seemed back to normal. Now come to yesterday and today, on 2 separate occasions, I turn on the ignition and Im still getting the pull key message! Even after the brown wire mod, has this happened to anyone? and What could be causing this? As of right now, there arent any codes to the bcm so im really confused on what gives. I just want 6 months of driving this car in peace! lol :(

Note: As of right now the car is still driveable, I just have to do what I was doing before, which is take the key out and start it back up again. I just dont want it to do what it did before which is to continually give me the message no matter what and leave me stranded again.

laurent_zo6 04-13-2017 02:28 AM

You should call Richard again at Compliance and go over your wiring. As you know he is very helpful. You should not be getting the message once the brown wire has been done.

runner140* 04-13-2017 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6 (Post 1594518308)
You should call Richard again at Compliance and go over your wiring. As you know he is very helpful. You should not be getting the message once the brown wire has been done.

:iagree:I had a similar issue and called Richard. He got me re-do one of the connections. Call him back.:thumbs:

MAC5 04-13-2017 08:04 AM

This looks like an interesting thread. I've had both GM recalls completed years ago and knock on wood haven't had the column lock problem appear. But I also have a LMC5 in the glovebox just in case.

If all the LMC5 wiring proves correct, is it possible that the VAT's key could be a contributor to this problem?

I'd like to see what happens if the OP uses a spare key.

Gordy M 04-13-2017 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by MAC5 (Post 1594518851)
This looks like an interesting thread. I've had both GM recalls completed years ago and knock on wood haven't had the column lock problem appear. But I also have a LMC5 in the glovebox just in case.

You should take it out of the glove box and install it. If you battery goes below 12.5V, when off, you run the risk of having the column lock. In addition, since you have the 2 mph fuel cutoff in you PCM, even if you force the column to unlock, you still cannot get out of your own shadow since the fuel shutoff will stop the engine.

Christian327 04-13-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6 (Post 1594518308)

That was the first thing I did, Richard is a great guy. He was puzzled as well though and said the same thing, I shouldnt still be receiving the message if the brown wire mod is still done. He said to look out for any bcm codes, but I havent had any.

Christian327 04-13-2017 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gordy M (Post 1594519617)
You should take it out of the glove box and install it. If you battery goes below 12.5V, when off, you run the risk of having the column lock. In addition, since you have the 2 mph fuel cutoff in you PCM, even if you force the column to unlock, you still cannot get out of your own shadow since the fuel shutoff will stop the engine.

Highly agree, just do it and get it done with!

Originally Posted by runner140* (Post 1594518519)
:iagree:I had a similar issue and called Richard. He got me re-do one of the connections. Call him back.:thumbs:

Interesting, I will look back and make sure everything is connected correctly. Were you getting the messages even after you did the brown wire mod?

Christian327 04-13-2017 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MAC5 (Post 1594518851)

If all the LMC5 wiring proves correct, is it possible that the VAT's key could be a contributor to this problem?

I'd like to see what happens if the OP uses a spare key.

That was my first thought, I hope its something as simple as the VATs key. I cleaned mine up with some alcohol and crossing my fingers. So far I drove it last night and this morning and nothing popped up so hopefully its gone but only time will tell.

Macleod52 04-13-2017 12:59 PM

:iagree::iagree:

To the OP, I know compliance's website states you'll get the pull key message if the voltage gets too low. Also, IIRC, they state to disconnect the negative terminal for a few minutes. I do not know if the brown wire mod permanently removes the pull key message when the battery is low but it's just a though.

grantv 04-13-2017 01:59 PM

Fine, all you guys and your actually installing the LMC5 have posted enough. This 4 day weekend I'll find mine and install also (only been 3 years). Jeesh. :D

laurent_zo6 04-13-2017 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by grantv (Post 1594521513)
Fine, all you guys and your actually installing the LMC5 have posted enough. This 4 day weekend I'll find mine and install also (only been 3 years). Jeesh. :D

Good move :thumbs:. You don't want to wait and have to do it at midnight in a dark area without cell phone coverage and with strange creatures lurking around.

Drewstein 04-14-2017 12:57 AM

I agree with the others, you probably have to go through the install again of the LMC5. Double check the connections where the pins are and make sure you unplugged the relay above the BCM etc. I didn't think it was possible to have the message with the brown wire mod done. Did you not cut the other wire maybe?

Christian327 04-14-2017 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Drewstein
I agree with the others, you probably have to go through the install again of the LMC5. Double check the connections where the pins are and make sure you unplugged the relay above the BCM etc. I didn't think it was possible to have the message with the brown wire mod done. Did you not cut the other wire maybe?

Yea I may have to do just that. I unplugged the relay and all that. I didn't think it was possible either. I unplugged the dark green wire & plugged the brown one in while cutting the other brown half. As soon as I did the brown wire mod, I thought I had fixed everything until a couple days later the message came back up. But now when it shows up, at least so far, i just remove key and fire it back it up and it's good. I was also wondering if I get my car tuned so the 2mph raises up to let's say 200mph. Will the pull key alert prevent me from driving or will I be able to drive still?

grantv 04-14-2017 07:04 PM

So being a cell and computer guy, I came out to the garage earlier and installed the LMC5 per his online video. After this I noticed the instructions state to do a fuse pull step; I did not do this. Am I in trouble? Just do the brown wire step? I turned the key to on, no signs of issues on the dash.

Christian327 04-14-2017 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by grantv
So being a cell and computer guy, I came out to the garage earlier and installed the LMC5 per his online video. After this I noticed the instructions state to do a fuse pull step; I did not do this. Am I in trouble? Just do the brown wire step? I turned the key to on, no signs of issues on the dash.

I believe you do the fuse pull step if your steering wheel is currently locked if it's not then I don't believe you have to. (I did have to for mine)...Someone else can chime in for confirmation.

grantv 04-14-2017 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Christian327 (Post 1594531323)
I believe you do the fuse pull step if your steering wheel is currently locked if it's not then I don't believe you have to. (I did have to for mine)...Someone else can chime in for confirmation.

It's will lock if pulled to either side, but was not locked when I did the install. He really should update his YouTube video...

grantv 04-14-2017 07:36 PM

My concern is that I did miss doing the fuse 23 step, and my steering wheel did lock if pulled...

Drewstein 04-15-2017 02:17 PM

If you didn't pull the fuse then your wheel still may be locked.

Macleod52 04-16-2017 10:26 PM

You need to go back and do the whole thing step by step. If your wheel is locking then you didn't do it right. When you've successfully installed the LCM5 your steering wheel will no longer lock.

bravo29 04-16-2017 10:41 PM

Did mine today also. I don't have the brown wire mod. My C5 was done as part of the recall and my steering wheel does not lock with key out.

I would recheck the wiring and make sure a PIN is not damaged or loose. Make sure you grounded the black wire to the BCM or you capped the removed wires.

I had the message every time my car started to pull key out but I was able to drive. Never had the 2 mph issue.

Now no messages with my Lmc5. Got tired of hitting reset to clear my dash of that annoying message.