CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   Looking for help in Oklahoma (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/3973085-looking-for-help-in-oklahoma.html)

Scuderia09 04-14-2017 12:49 AM

Looking for help in Oklahoma

I bought my old 94' back and it's running poor. I talked with Jerry and he is thinking it's a fuel sending unit on the secondary side of things. Car runs fine with the key off, but craps all over itself when I turn the key.

I took it to a shop in Tulsa and after 5 weeks or so I just picked it up as they couldn't fix it. So I need some help getting her running strong.

Anyone know who I could call or take it to?

Thanks,

Joe

Paul Workman 04-14-2017 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scuderia09 (Post 1594525939)
I bought my old 94' back and it's running poor. I talked with Jerry and he is thinking it's a fuel sending unit on the secondary side of things. Car runs fine with the key off, but craps all over itself when I turn the key.

I took it to a shop in Tulsa and after 5 weeks or so I just picked it up as they couldn't fix it. So I need some help getting her running strong.

Anyone know who I could call or take it to?

Thanks,

Joe

Jerry (I'm sure) is referring to the secondary fuel pump as a possibility and a place to start.

I would suggest that you put a fuel pressure gauge on the Schrader valve and with the ignition key OFF measure the current between the (POS) battery terminal and the (red wire/black connector) diagnostic connector (jutting out of the big wire loom near the wiper motor).

Doing this will energize BOTH fuel pumps resulting in a pressure reading near 50 psi or so. And, if both pumps are running, the current draw will be 8 to 10 amperes, normally. (A reading of half that indicates one of the pumps is NOT working - I'd guess the secondary pump too, in that case.)

If not a fuel pressure issue, then its onto measuring the resistance of the injectors -

These are elementary steps that I would expect any shop should have done. But, then again, I don't EVER take my Zs to ANY shop because there's a good chance none of their "mechanics" have ever seen an LT5, let alone worked on one.

Come join us in the ZR-1 Registry too. Lots of talent there and a chance to find someone close enough to you to lend a hand.:thumbs:

glass slipper 04-14-2017 07:37 AM

Paul wrote up a very good trouble shooting guide. The only thing I would add is to pull the FP2 (Fuel Pump 2) fuse to test the primary pump alone and then reinstall FP2 but pull FP1 to test the secondary pump alone. This will narrow down exactly which pump is the problem...like Jerry and Paul, I suspect the secondary fuel pump too. Let us know what you find.

ZR-71 04-14-2017 09:33 PM

I'm guessing maybe a secondary vacuum hose leak. When you start up the engine, listen for the secondary vacuum pump near the passenger side headlight. It should shut off after a few seconds. If it keeps running you probably have a vacuum hose leak
Mine used to stumble with the power key turned on and ran fine with it off. Was a vacuum leak

garyguinn 04-14-2017 11:43 PM

Or you could just decide she's not worth fixing
And sell her to me:D:thumbs:

I have room here in Tulsa for a garage buddy for my 92 z.

Oklahoma Adam 04-17-2017 05:11 PM

Might try Doc's corvette on 11th in Tulsa. Or when I lived in OKC I took mine to The PAD in Edmond. Josh really took the time to learn about the ZR-1 while working on it.

SurfnSun 04-17-2017 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Adam (Post 1594548923)
Might try Doc's corvette on 11th in Tulsa. Or when I lived in OKC I took mine to The PAD in Edmond. Josh really took the time to learn about the ZR-1 while working on it.

:iagree: I took my c3 & c4s to Brian at Docs back n the mid 90s. Solid dude that still owns the shop.

Scuderia09 04-18-2017 12:30 AM

Jerry called last week and we are going to try and replace a secondary injector module.

The shop I left it with for 5 weeks+ tried the fuel pressure test that Jerry told them about and for whatever reason they couldn't get it figured out.

Hopefully the part Jerry is sending will fix the problem. I will let you guys know.

Thanks,

Joe

AnthonyGS 04-19-2017 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scuderia09 (Post 1594552052)
Jerry called last week and we are going to try and replace a secondary injector module.

The shop I left it with for 5 weeks+ tried the fuel pressure test that Jerry told them about and for whatever reason they couldn't get it figured out.

Hopefully the part Jerry is sending will fix the problem. I will let you guys know.

Thanks,

Joe

i have a spare fuel pump assembly in dfw if you need to try it. I bought it due to a fuel lvl sending unit problem I was able to correct without the spares.

garyguinn 04-25-2017 11:33 PM

Scuderia09,
You are welcome to use my lift if that will help in your troubleshooting.
I'm in southwest Tulsa
Gary

ROUTE 66 05-03-2017 04:48 PM

Your C4 ZR1 Problem

I was told by someone on this forum about John Conover near Okla City.
He is the GM C4 certified ZR1 mechanic at Hudiburg Chevrolet on I 40 in Midwest city Ok...Phone #.405 737 6641''''
I'm having a problem with mine and thinking of taking it to him.
I have spoken with doc on 11th St Tulsa [OK fellow] but he did not seem to have much knowledge of the C4 ZR1.
Good luck with yours. would you lets us on the forum know when you get it solved. Thanks

combatdoc 05-11-2017 11:44 PM

Any word on car and or fix?

drcarric2650 07-05-2017 08:30 PM

Wow Gary, that is an awesome offer, it's nice to know there are great corvette owners in Tulsa.

Don

Originally Posted by garyguinn (Post 1594608564)
Scuderia09,
You are welcome to use my lift if that will help in your troubleshooting.
I'm in southwest Tulsa
Gary

garyguinn 07-09-2017 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by drcarric2650 (Post 1595085021)
Wow Gary, that is an awesome offer, it's nice to know there are great corvette owners in Tulsa.

Don

I know it has definitely made a lot of Corvette jobs easier..
it's no problem for me, plus I get to admire other Corvettes 😎

Scuderia09 05-01-2019 08:18 PM

This is kind of a walk of shame post being that it's been a year and half, BUT we finally got it fixed. Long story short is we replaced anything and everything we could think of and nothing worked. I was a week away from shipping the car to Mark in Chicago when a shop called me back that couldn't get me in two months before. I told him he had 5 days to figure it out and he said he would like a shot at it. At the end of the day the shop had the capability to program the chip and took information from it and work backwards to figure out what was going on. As embarrassing as this is to say it turns out to be a fuse connected to the O2 sensors!!! One of the first things we replaced on our own were the O2 sensors w/o any luck. Had no idea that the fuse was busted. The computer was getting a bad reading until the exhaust heated up and would make the car stumble. So after 3 shops, more then a year of chasing the problem, and $3,500 of parts and shop fees it turned out to be a $1 fuse.

It's nice to have it running strong again. Still a fantastic and fun car to drive after 20 years of ownership!

Sorry for taking forever getting back.

ccmano 05-03-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Scuderia09 (Post 1599327375)
This is kind of a walk of shame post being that it's been a year and half, BUT we finally got it fixed. Long story short is we replaced anything and everything we could think of and nothing worked. I was a week away from shipping the car to Mark in Chicago when a shop called me back that couldn't get me in two months before. I told him he had 5 days to figure it out and he said he would like a shot at it. At the end of the day the shop had the capability to program the chip and took information from it and work backwards to figure out what was going on. As embarrassing as this is to say it turns out to be a fuse connected to the O2 sensors!!! One of the first things we replaced on our own were the O2 sensors w/o any luck. Had no idea that the fuse was busted. The computer was getting a bad reading until the exhaust heated up and would make the car stumble. So after 3 shops, more then a year of chasing the problem, and $3,500 of parts and shop fees it turned out to be a $1 fuse.

It's nice to have it running strong again. Still a fantastic and fun car to drive after 20 years of ownership!

Sorry for taking forever getting back.

Congrats on finally getting it fixed. Can you tell us the name of the shop? It’s always good to know a quality shop no matter where. Exactly what fuse was it they replaced? Inquiring minds want to know.
Hope you use the car in good health.
H
:cheers:

Scuderia09 05-07-2019 12:18 PM

It seems that the same fuse that powered the vacuum pump for the secondary intake runner valves, the O2 sensor heaters, and the power key blew. The vacuum pump motor seized and blew the fuse and cause the O2 sensors to give inaccurate readings to the computer.

The shop that fixed it is in Broken Arrow, OK. The guys name is Randy and has a shop behind his personal home.

Later

ZR-71 05-08-2019 08:47 PM

Wow, great shop that tracked down your problem. :thumbs:

A26B 05-09-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Scuderia09 (Post 1599358363)
It seems that the same fuse that powered the vacuum pump for the secondary intake runner valves, the O2 sensor heaters, and the power key blew. The vacuum pump motor seized and blew the fuse and cause the O2 sensors to give inaccurate readings to the computer.

The shop that fixed it is in Broken Arrow, OK. The guys name is Randy and has a shop behind his personal home.

Later

Glad you got it sorted out Joe. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to do more for you.
Ironically, I had the same problem, blowing fuse on SPT vacuum pump. After trying to chase down the short, I just finally removed the SPT system completely, something I was always planning to do. Never thought about the pump being locked up.
Drop by & see me sometime. We go to T-town frequently so maybe we can get together!
jerry