CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Finally Bought a Vette... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3975303-finally-bought-a-vette.html)

corvette_realtor 04-18-2017 06:57 PM

Finally Bought a Vette...

I am happy to say that today I accomplished a dream of mine and bought my first Corvette! So that was exciting. For the first couple of hours...

Unfortunately the car stalled on me 5 times before I took it back to the dealer I bought it from. Not sure what's going to happen now. They are keeping the car overnight. Pretty bummed.. wasn't cheap.

Photoguy000 04-18-2017 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor (Post 1594557533)
I am happy to say that today I accomplished a dream of mine and bought my first Corvette! So that was exciting. For the first couple of hours...

Unfortunately the car stalled on me 5 times before I took it back to the dealer I bought it from. Not sure what's going to happen now. They are keeping the car overnight. Pretty bummed.. wasn't cheap.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the family! Sorry to hear about the immediate troubles, but glad they are looking into it. What did you buy? :cheers:

corvette_realtor 04-18-2017 07:25 PM

It is a white '86 with red leather interior. Automatic. Really clean inside. 90k miles.

It had been serviced & some repairs prior to purchase, so I felt confident it would at least through summer without trouble. Nope!

BLUDICE 04-18-2017 07:29 PM

Hey - right colors. Did you get a warranty?? Man once you get it back and running you are going to have soooo much fun!!

corvette_realtor 04-18-2017 07:36 PM

No warranty. The dealer didn't offer one so it never came up. Unfortunately it isn't purchased from a Chevy dealer or anyone who might actually know anything about these cars. I was really looking forward to detailing it myself tonight to get the spots they missed.

tmirisola 04-18-2017 07:55 PM

Congrats :-) Detailing is fun IMO.

bac22 04-18-2017 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor (Post 1594557767)
No warranty. The dealer didn't offer one so it never came up.

Many states have laws that cover used cars sold by dealers, so something to keep in the back of your mind.

If the car stalls could just be a simple connector that has come lose, remember it is a car with 90k that is 31 years old! Maybe the news will be better tomorrow.

JungleCat 04-18-2017 08:19 PM

Congrats on the car but I'm sorry about the trouble. I have an '86 too so I hope everything works out for you.

corvette_realtor 04-18-2017 08:48 PM

I am from Indiana which is about as "buyer beware" on used cars as possible. Per the Consumer Bill of Rights:

You DO NOT have the right to purchase a vehicle free of all mechanical defects. The Indiana Lemon Law does NOT apply to used vehicle purchases.

You DO NOT have the right to return a vehicle or back out of the sale after you sign the paperwork. Once you agree to purchase a vehicle, it is yours, regardless if you find mechanical problems with the vehicle after purchasing it.

The dealer seemed sympathetic to the fact that I didn't even have the car 6 hours and it was undriveable. I'm hoping they'll help get it taken care of so I can be on my way.

Yukon Corleone 04-18-2017 11:52 PM

Congratulations getting your Corvette but sorry you are having problems.

ls777z 04-19-2017 08:03 AM

broke it already

When I bought my 84 from an individual I had him meet me halfway (about 40 miles) which helps to verify it runs. Within the next 2 days (had to register/insure it) it started stalling on me. Ran fine but when I stopped it quit. Would start up again but quit whenever I tried to slow/stop. Cant be out of gas, he had replaced the cluster and the gauge read over 1/4 tank.....WRONG !!! Filled it and no more stalling. I guess I'll be replacing the sending unit down the road...

JimLentz 04-19-2017 03:19 PM

Any news from the dealer?

corvette_realtor 04-19-2017 03:33 PM

Their shop mechanic called and said they drove the car 15 miles and it never stalled. I said, well, the "service engine soon" light came on when it stalled on me, so there should be a code stored in the computer of the car to give you an idea of what happened.

They said they don't have the proper tool to read the car due to its age (they need a different type of reader?). Supposedly they are going to see if they can find the tool to diagnose the code. That was a few hours ago. I have a feeling they will keep it overnight again tonight.

I am thinking based on research online problems might be:

- Bad fuel pump or something related to fuel delivery
- Bad catalytic converter (the car would not "go" fast enough on an interstate ramp despite flooring it)
- Alternator....?
- Idle speed....?

The car starts great and was running strong before the stalling. I think battery voltage was normal (11-13 volts was readout while driving). The electric components of the car never failed, the car just stopped idling & engine turned off. And wouldn't respond to "flooring it."

divotdug 04-19-2017 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor (Post 1594563710)
Their shop mechanic called and said they drove the car 15 miles and it never stalled. I said, well, the "service engine soon" light came on when it stalled on me, so there should be a code stored in the computer of the car to give you an idea of what happened.

They said they don't have the proper tool to read the car due to its age (they need a different type of reader?). Supposedly they are going to see if they can find the tool to diagnose the code. That was a few hours ago. I have a feeling they will keep it overnight again tonight.

I am thinking based on research online problems might be:

- Bad fuel pump or something related to fuel delivery
- Bad catalytic converter (the car would not "go" fast enough on an interstate ramp despite flooring it)
- Alternator....?
- Idle speed....?

The car starts great and was running strong before the stalling. I think battery voltage was normal (11-13 volts was readout while driving). The electric components of the car never failed, the car just stopped idling & engine turned off. And wouldn't respond to "flooring it."

The only tool they need to read codes on an '86 is a paper clip.

vette-rageous 04-19-2017 03:45 PM

First congrats on the new Corvette, I'm also new to the club as I bought a 1990 last week. Second, very sorry to hear about he problems right off the bat, that sucks...but the good news is from what I've found out in the last week...most of the guys here are a fountain of knowledge and will help you with any question you may have. Third, you bought it from a dealer and they don't have the tool to read codes...seriously? I can read the codes on mine with a paperclip...they didn't have a paperclip?

Anyhow, welcome to the club, if I can help you in anyway I will try as I've learned a lot about the C4s in the last week...you will too.

Cheers! and good luck! :cheers:

corvette_realtor 04-19-2017 03:50 PM

I'm not sure what y'all mean about using a paperclip to read the codes on the 86 Corvette. He said due to the age of the vehicle it requires a different code reader than on newer cars, which is what he mostly works on. How can a paperclip read codes? I'm sure I'm lost in translation. :lol:

I'm definitely getting frustrated that they seem to have made no progress.

vette-rageous 04-19-2017 03:53 PM

Yes, modern code readers (1994 and newer) need a OBD 2 reader, yours requires a OBD 1 as the ALDL hookup under your dash is a 12 pin, not 16 pin set up.

You'll see the paperclip at the 42 second mark.

What year is your new baby?

vette-rageous 04-19-2017 03:57 PM

Also,

http://www.neilkline.com/Tech%20Tips/obdcodes.htm

corvette_realtor 04-19-2017 04:05 PM

My Corvette is a 1986. Thanks for sharing that page about the codes, but I am pretty ignorant about how these things work so it is mostly jibberish to me. :(

vette-rageous 04-19-2017 04:09 PM

You will learn fast my friend :smash:
But that's a good thing, its fun to tinker with your car on a nice summer weekend...at least for me. Just have to get that bad boy home first!