CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Interior trim hatch peeling (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3975410-interior-trim-hatch-peeling.html)

Darkvet 04-18-2017 09:53 PM

Interior trim hatch peeling

So I go to get my windows tinted today and before they start we see a small area in the hatch that looks like the paint peeled. 350 miles on the car never put anything back there . What paint can I buy to touch it up? It's like an ebony color so I don't want to use just black. https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0b3afa4709.jpg

01Defense 04-18-2017 11:30 PM

Your sure that's not protective wrap they forgot during pdi?

Darkvet 04-19-2017 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 01Defense (Post 1594559444)
Your sure that's not protective wrap they forgot during pdi?

Positive it is not.

MSG C5 04-19-2017 09:00 AM

If the dealership won't help under warranty, I would try one of those mobile leather/vinyl repair companies. I know they have the over-the-counter stuff, but I would want this done right. We had a leather chair repaired as one the corners got damaged during a move and the company matched up the grain and color perfectly. It cost $75 but the result is a lot better than if I tried doing it with a $25 over-the-counter kit.

However, try the dealer first. They may be able to fix or replace under warranty.

Darkvet 04-19-2017 04:30 PM

Well it would have to be the entire panel replaced because it's all one piece. I'm just worried about them causing more damage and is it worth it or just touch it up. I have a great relationship with the deale so they'll do what I ask but is it worth the risk.

rockit1 04-19-2017 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Darkvet (Post 1594564087)
Well it would have to be the entire panel replaced because it's all one piece. I'm just worried about them causing more damage and is it worth it or just touch it up. I have a great relationship with the deale so they'll do what I ask but is it worth the risk.

how about having the underside wrapped, could do it in CF or Carbon Fiber

Bill Dearborn 04-20-2017 01:10 PM

Yes, it is worth the risk. It is an obvious workmanship problem and that part is made to be replaced so it shouldn't be an issue for a shop with the proper tools and training.

Bill

lordofwar 04-20-2017 08:59 PM

black majic marker.nobody will see it anyway.

Darkvet 04-20-2017 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by lordofwar (Post 1594573934)
black majic marker.nobody will see it anyway.

I'm thinking the same but I'll have them touch it up so they make record of it on an RO in case this shit gets worse.

TEXHAWK0 04-20-2017 11:48 PM

I had a couple of places along the bottom corners of my rear glass where they just missed painting. Could really only notice it in rear view mirror. I just bought some semi-gloss black model paint at the hobby store, and touched it up.
I thought first the paint was peeling too, but it was just a poor job of painting and has not changed.

DevilDog II 04-21-2017 08:07 AM

Isn't it ironic that we own $90,000+ cars and most of us are concerned about taking our cars back to the dealership because we're afraid they'll screw things up even more. I can only hope that someone at GM in Detroit occasionally visits this site to hear what their customers are thinking. "Perception is reality. If you are perceived to be something, you might as well be it because that's the truth in people's minds."
~ Steve Young

b4i4getit 04-21-2017 08:29 AM

Most of us have concerns going back to the dealer because most of us have dealers that don't excel at doing repairs on our cars. Sure there are exceptions but unless you have a dealer that sells lots of Corvettes they just don't have good experience with these cars. All dealers are not created equal.

sTz 04-21-2017 08:38 AM

OP, my car came w/touch-up paint from the factory in a spot similar to yours... I was able to fix what looked worse than their poor attempt to conceal. Why they decided to put a glob of paint as opposed to replacing is beyond me...

Nonetheless, you'd be better off getting yourself some matte black touch-up paint and fixing it yourself.

Darkvet 04-22-2017 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by sTz (Post 1594575934)
OP, my car came w/touch-up paint from the factory in a spot similar to yours... I was able to fix what looked worse than their poor attempt to conceal. Why they decided to put a glob of paint as opposed to replacing is beyond me...

Nonetheless, you'd be better off getting yourself some matte black touch-up paint and fixing it yourself.

This is exactly what I did and you can barely see it. Of course I'll be the only one that knows it's there but it's just a bitch that when you spend this much money shit should be perfect.

Plus I'm a factory rep for another brand and I know all my dealer techs very well. Let's just say I know who I would want working on my car and where not to go. I just don't have that insight with Chevy.