CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Check your 2017 Z06 paint over really well (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3975417-check-your-2017-z06-paint-over-really-well.html)

23/C8Z 04-21-2017 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Moramoto (Post 1594569570)
my build date was 2-17

mine is 2/16..

has to be the warm to cold paint too fresh expanding and contracting vent opening.

I have a thread about this and several were 2/16.

robertbruce 04-22-2017 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalPlum67SS (Post 1594573207)
What is Mathew's job title ?

I don't know his job title but he is with General Motors Executive Office.

Larry M 04-22-2017 07:41 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a8b9a8e812.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...054b989a85.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a34873b659.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2bce4b0d13.jpg

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z (Post 1594574937)
mine is 2/16..

has to be the warm to cold paint too fresh expanding and contracting vent opening.

I have a thread about this and several were 2/16.

mine built 2/20

here are my pics...disturbing I know

Mordeth 04-22-2017 07:58 AM

Larry!! What the hell?! Oh man brother.....I'm at a loss here. I'd ask for more details, but I am getting sick to my stomach here.

DevilDog II 04-22-2017 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1594573619)
I am confused? Why did you accept the car from the dealer when it arrived? Those are not small defects...how did you miss all that?

My question is how did those who inspected the car in Bowling Green miss the imperfections. When I toured the plant last summer, we saw how every car is inspected at the end of the assembly line and were told by our "guide" how much emphasis is placed on quality control. Maybe I'm getting a little too old and picky, but no $90,000+ car should leave the factory looking like that. My guess is that they allow cars to leave the plant with certain flaws with the expectation that the dealership will correct them. That's much easier and faster than pulling a car off the line and sending it back to have the problem corrected. :cheers:

robertbruce 04-22-2017 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by robertbruce (Post 1594568791)
Here are some phone numbers you can call but do not get your hopes up. Chevrolet Customer Service 1 800 222 1020, Mathew at 855 880 1400 Ext. 5914430.

Here is the address and phone number of CEO Mary Barra. I wrote her a letter about my problem. I am sure she didn't read it but I did hear from a higher up from the 855 880 1400 number, The General Motors Executive Office. They do not like it when you write Mary about the paint peeling off of your $100,000.00 cars. Perhaps a certified letter to Mary might make it through. Mary T. Barra CEO 300 Renaissance Center Detroit Mi. 48243. Phone number 313 556 5000. There are way too many Corvettes out there with paint problems.

Larry M 04-22-2017 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mordeth (Post 1594582917)
Larry!! What the hell?! Oh man brother.....I'm at a loss here. I'd ask for more details, but I am getting sick to my stomach here.

Thanks Brother!
I'm at a loss too, this one hurts a lot...a lot

Spoke to my local dealer, they can touch it up but I'd have to sign a waiver stating they're not responsible for the XPel wrap and Ceramic coating. I refused to sign that, the dealer advised calling other dealerships and see if they'd work with me. Service manager was a nice guy and is calling local painters to see if anyone wants to try and take responsibility of the XPel and will sign a GM PO so that GM can warranty the work.

I'll be picking up the phone sometime next week, I'm really sad at all this.

2019 ZR1 04-22-2017 04:57 PM

I've found several spots on mine to. I don't like the thoughts of letting my dealer paint it. I agree this is bullshit but it's like the guy above said above about them already getting their money and not really giving a shit.

b4i4getit 04-22-2017 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by robertbruce (Post 1594570567)
Perhaps a Class Action Lawsuit would get their attention.

Not going to happen. You would never get enough people on board.

z06cop 04-22-2017 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1594586433)
Not going to happen. You would never get enough people on board.

Yea^ Just ask the C6Z dropped valve owners!:iagree:

Mordeth 04-22-2017 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Larry M (Post 1594585412)
Thanks Brother!
I'm at a loss too, this one hurts a lot...a lot

Spoke to my local dealer, they can touch it up but I'd have to sign a waiver stating they're not responsible for the XPel wrap and Ceramic coating. I refused to sign that, the dealer advised calling other dealerships and see if they'd work with me. Service manager was a nice guy and is calling local painters to see if anyone wants to try and take responsibility of the XPel and will sign a GM PO so that GM can warranty the work.

I'll be picking up the phone sometime next week, I'm really sad at all this.

I'm real sorry man. Bent wheel, and now this. Especially after everything you went through to protect it. I think you are doing the right thing in your interactions with the dealer. Just remember to stay calm, but be persistent. I realize I am pissing in the wind, but try to stay positive. Anything and everything can be fixed. Good luck and keep us posted.

I also feel bad for the OP. Man, this kind of crap is unacceptable.

Larry M 04-22-2017 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mordeth (Post 1594586913)
I'm real sorry man. Bent wheel, and now this. Especially after everything you went through to protect it. I think you are doing the right thing in your interactions with the dealer. Just remember to stay calm, but be persistent. I realize I am pissing in the wind, but try to stay positive. Anything and everything can be fixed. Good luck and keep us posted.

I also feel bad for the OP. Man, this kind of crap is unacceptable.

I'm kinda getting over it, this is sort of like that first rock chip even though I have nothing to do with it.

ZenicaPA 05-18-2017 10:12 PM

I've read a lot of comments talking about QC at the factory and that these cars should have had these defects corrected at the factory.

Am I alone in thinking these defects shouldn't be happening in the first place? These paint issues are so severe that production should have halted until corrective measures were employed to prevent them, negating the need to correct flaws in finished vehicles.

Neither my 435i or Cayenne nor any other vehicle I've owned has had defects like these. Hell, not even vehicles I've had repaired due to a fender bender left the body shop paint booth looking like these.

OnPoint 05-18-2017 10:14 PM

No, you're not alone. Thus the new fancy pants paint facility getting ready to come on-line for Corvette.

b4i4getit 05-18-2017 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA (Post 1594768937)
I've read a lot of comments talking about QC at the factory and that these cars should have had these defects corrected at the factory.

Am I alone in thinking these defects shouldn't be happening in the first place? These paint issues are so severe that production should have halted until corrective measures were employed to prevent them, negating the need to correct flaws in finished vehicles.

Neither my 435i or Cayenne nor any other vehicle I've owned has had defects like these. Hell, not even vehicles I've had repaired due to a fender bender left the body shop paint booth looking like these.

The QC at the factory is very poor. I think they have it in their heads that as long as it starts they should ship it and let the dealer look after the problems. That's pretty much the philosophy at all GM plants. :ack:

badhabit_wb 05-20-2017 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1594769219)
The QC at the factory is very poor. I think they have it in their heads that as long as it starts they should ship it and let the dealer look after the problems. That's pretty much the philosophy at all GM plants. :ack:

Well it's not like GM can fire them if they do a bad job...

Ruth Clough 02-08-2019 07:52 PM

Paint chipping body lines off

GM refused to fix mine.. offerd to repaint bumper only... basically said I was shit out of luck.. they have had the car in their shop since before xmas . I think a class action Suit is in order

TXshaggy 02-08-2019 11:26 PM

They all have imperfections, some worse than others...with that being said the large chip is pretty bad. Figure out what you can live and don’t let the dealer touch the car more than is needed.

I had the vent rub on my TR 2016, just hit it with some touchup and still protected 2 years later.

RegnaR 02-08-2019 11:55 PM

My front bumper was repainted due to the same issues with panels rubbing and the paint coming off.

salcolkat 02-09-2019 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by 427bob (Post 1594573316)
Your paint looks terrible and I hope GM sets it right for you.

I have changed the way I bought my last couple of Corvettes. I don't order them but pick one off the floor of a dealership. That way I can examine the car very carefully and avoid the possible nightmare.

But that doesn't solve your problem. I do hope it gets solved to your satisfaction.

I did the same thing and rejected one car with paint defects and went with another with none. Its been 2 years and so far very happy with the paint.