CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Check your 2017 Z06 paint over really well (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3975417-check-your-2017-z06-paint-over-really-well.html)

tzoid9 02-09-2019 10:04 AM

All this commentary on paint defects with a C7. Several years ago, I remember a lot of Forum discussion about the multi million dollar paint booth that was scheduled to be installed at Bowling Green for the newer model Corvettes, starting sometime in 2017. Supposedly, this new paint operation would be "state of the art" automotive painting and all those comments about crappy paint work that pop up from time to time would disappear.
Does anyone know if this hot shot paint booth was ever built and being used or was this story just some one's fantasy and "fake news"?

badhabit_wb 02-09-2019 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by tzoid9 (Post 1598846593)
All this commentary on paint defects with a C7. Several years ago, I remember a lot of Forum discussion about the multi million dollar paint booth that was scheduled to be installed at Bowling Green for the newer model Corvettes, starting sometime in 2017. Supposedly, this new paint operation would be "state of the art" automotive painting and all those comments about crappy paint work that pop up from time to time would disappear.
Does anyone know if this hot shot paint booth was ever built and being used or was this story just some one's fantasy and "fake news"?

They built it and from what I've seen there's been a big improvement in consistency as far as paint. My 15 z has a great paint job but I've seen others that don't. The newer paint jobs are probably better than mine and from what I've seen consistently better as in I have seen any bad paint from the new shop.

tzoid9 02-09-2019 11:54 AM

Not sure what you are saying here, Badhabit....."and from what I've seen consistently better as in I have seen any bad paint from the new shop." Are you saying the paint work is consistently better with the new shop or that you have still seen bad paintwork out of the new shop or maybe something different??

badhabit_wb 02-09-2019 01:03 PM

Sorry if I was being confusing. I haven't seen any bad paint out of the new shop. I seen lots of bad paint out of the old shop.

tzoid9 02-09-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb (Post 1598847675)
Sorry if I was being confusing. I haven't seen any bad paint out of the new shop. I seen lots of bad paint out of the old shop.

That's great news....thanks!

tlegend 02-10-2019 12:49 AM

i saw 2019 in the showroom and paint quality sucks ass...

robertbruce 02-10-2019 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb (Post 1598847675)

My paint chipped around the front fender vents in my 16 Z06. I touched it up and lived with it. My 18 Z06 was painted in the new paint shop. I thought the chipping problem on the front fender vents on the Z06 was fixed. WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Six months after I took delivery the paints chips around the fender vent was back. This time I had the chips airbrushed by a local body shop which did a perfect job and in my opinion this is the best way to fix the problem. Keep watching your seams on your cars painted in the new paint shop. This problem did not go away.

ukester 02-10-2019 08:00 AM

You guys probably used acid car wash-dont you know you never ever wash a corvette...As far as writing the ceo you will get someone from the exec customer relations department and then it goes right back to the hack that didnt take care of your problem the first time out. It is very unfortunate that great customers get s---t on-GM went bankrupt once and looks like they will do it again. Getting a lawyer involved takes intestitude fortitude because GM has lots of time and great lawyers to wait your case out..Best of luck to you.

badhabit_wb 02-10-2019 09:34 AM

I'm sorry to hear about the bad paint. My 15 has great paint and I'm careful washing it. I did coat the whole car with xpel ultimate so that probably makes a difference. I'm at VIR at least once a month and I knew the front end would need painting every year if I didn't use the xpel.

23/C8Z 02-10-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by robertbruce (Post 1598851336)
My paint chipped around the front fender vents in my 16 Z06. I touched it up and lived with it. My 18 Z06 was painted in the new paint shop. I thought the chipping problem on the front fender vents on the Z06 was fixed. WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Six months after I took delivery the paints chips around the fender vent was back. This time I had the chips airbrushed by a local body shop which did a perfect job and in my opinion this is the best way to fix the problem. Keep watching your seams on your cars painted in the new paint shop. This problem did not go away.

I agree Robert. And the new fender vents on the Z06 (on mid 19s forward) are the 4th iteration which are smaller in dimension so they do not come anywhere near the fenders AND have little protruding nubs on the back side in 4 or 5 places to keep the vent OFF the fenders.

The body shoo that airbrushed my vents did a fantastic job you cannot tell the difference. Amazing.

As for the other areas? They can probably air brush the same way. More labor intensive but worth it.

My dealer paid them to do the fenders but asked them airbrush only. This way they make out the same way as opposed to the lesser amount to just touch them up.