CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Car shipment - LA to DC??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3975637-car-shipment-la-to-dc.html)

carbster09 04-19-2017 12:52 PM

Car shipment - LA to DC???

Guys,

I won a car on BaT, don't get excited its a Miata :D. I bought it for SCCA AutoX, Track days etc. I want to learn to drive better at the limit before I put the 'vette on the track ...

Can anyone recommend a shipper? I shipped a car once and the damage almost outstripped the cost! You recommendations would go a long way. If it was not for work I would drive! :cool:

Thanks Chris

Mr D. 04-19-2017 01:06 PM

It's a Miata so your not out much if it get damaged. Try www.uShip.com

Revi 04-19-2017 01:50 PM

You can go with some of the established auto shippers (Reliable Carriers, Intercity Lines, etc.). These cost more, but they actually own the trucks, drivers are employees, there is accountability.

or

You can use a Broker, who just bids it out to the lowest bid. They have no trucks, no employees, you get what you pay for.

Your car, your choice. Either the right way or the cheap way.

Executive Auto Shippers 04-19-2017 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by carbster09 (Post 1594562537)
Guys,

I won a car on BaT, don't get excited its a Miata :D. I bought it for SCCA AutoX, Track days etc. I want to learn to drive better at the limit before I put the 'vette on the track ...

Can anyone recommend a shipper? I shipped a car once and the damage almost outstripped the cost! You recommendations would go a long way. If it was not for work I would drive! :cool:

Thanks Chris

We'd love to help! You can check out our reviews on Angie's List, BBB, and Consumer Affairs to see what others have said, and then give us a call at 847-557-0200 or get a free quote on our website. :cheers:

SIXTYTWO 04-19-2017 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by carbster09 (Post 1594562537)
Guys,

Thanks Chris

Chris,
Last November I got pricing to ship a 68 Corvette from Orlando Florida to New Jersey. For enclosed shipping Reliable was nearly $1,500.00, Horseless Carriage was $1,200.00 and there were a few not as well known at right around $900.00. Open shipping was in the $600.00 range. I drove down, rented a U Haul 4 wheel trailer (5 days $300.00) one way and drove back, saved more than half.
My guess for enclosed transport from L.A. to MD. would be double those numbers.

Revi 04-19-2017 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Executive Auto Shippers (Post 1594563823)
We'd love to help! You can check out our reviews on Angie's List, BBB, and Consumer Affairs to see what others have said, and then give us a call at 847-557-0200 or get a free quote on our website. :cheers:

Does Executive Auto Shippers own their own trucks? Are the drivers employees? Do you put the job out for bid?

carbster09 04-20-2017 03:17 AM

Guys, Thanks exactly the information I needed!

Z06LMB 04-20-2017 04:46 AM

I don't understand that you had damages that almost outstripped the cost of the car? I have shipped lots of cars, never more than a scratch or a scuff but if there was more the shipper has insurance just for that reason.

rmgny44 04-20-2017 08:28 AM

I used Passport Transport and highly recommend them. Car was shipped from Colorado Springs to Las Vegas for around $200.00 less than the Reliable and InterCity quotes. Once a driver was assigned, which took about a week, he communicated with me every step of the way. Car was picked up Saturday morning and in my driveway Sunday morning!
I made the mistake of getting a quote online from a broker. The phone calls and text messages never stop!!!!!

Executive Auto Shippers 04-20-2017 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Revi (Post 1594564768)
Does Executive Auto Shippers own their own trucks? Are the drivers employees? Do you put the job out for bid?

We don't own our own trucks, but we have an in-house network of over 3000 carriers. In this industry, there is one software company and every company uses it. This is our method of pricing vehicles based on specific routes. When an order is placed, it automatically hits this system. The carriers we assign as based on previous performance from our internal rating system. We also verbally verify insurance and federal safety ratings every time we use the carrier.

cv67 04-20-2017 11:45 AM

most companies like EAS do it like that the small independents almost cant afford to compete
Just sent a 1 ton dually from Ca to NJ was 700 open carrier
He had about 8 cars on his truck no little guy could even cover expenses for that. They all have insurance dont worry about it.

carbster09 04-21-2017 07:06 AM

Presently working with Executive Auto arrange pick up. Thanks for the help!

Summerkruse13 03-22-2020 10:58 PM

Oops

C3_DH 03-24-2020 09:46 AM

Sorry, I had a terrible experience with a mover/shipper that is considered a "broker". That means they do NOT hire their own drivers. It was a nightmare getting a car from Denver to Florida, and once it got here, it was damaged which further left me out on my own. It looked like a large chain or something was dropped from above, the roof, the hood, and the entire front was scratched all to hell and just getting someone on the phone to help was a nightmare. I do NOT recommend a broker! Pay the extra for a shipper that has their own drivers!

jackson 03-24-2020 11:00 AM

https://www.autodriveaway.com/

LOOOONG ago ... I got stuck in LA and needed a cheap way to South Carolina. I contracted w/ above company to move their client's near-new Benz from LA to Southern Pines NC.

Went off well ... lost a hubcap near DFW and alternator puked but replaced by company; otherwise no issue and end-user I delivered car to was very pleased. Have no clue what company charged client. Make no mistake, I contracted to Drive the car. It was not hauled; it was driven cross-country. Perhaps above company (or a similar one) can help you? YMMV

Stev-o 03-24-2020 07:45 PM

Brokers are not always the cheapest, an owner/operator is the way to go [if you can find one]