CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   KLOTZ Octane Booster (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3976109-klotz-octane-booster.html)

royal flush 04-20-2017 12:07 PM

KLOTZ Octane Booster

Bought a can--first of all ive heard nothing but good things about this booster--Its 02 and catalytic safe--on the can it says 1 ounce raises octane 2.5 numbers to 1 gallon fuel--91 goes to 93.5 octane--good for the nevada summers :thumbs:

LDB 04-20-2017 01:43 PM

There’s only one way to get that large an octane boost from that small a quantity of booster, namely, an organometallic, which is a hybrid molecule partly hydrocarbon and partly a heavy metal like lead or manganese. Lead in gas was outlawed in the 1970’s because it’s a serious poison to both humans and catalytic converters. Manganese in the form of the compound MMT is somewhat less poisonous than lead to both humans and catalytic converters, but it is far from harmless. Most states prohibit its use on public highways, and regular use of MMT will kill your cats and probably void your warranty. Some work years ago claimed MMT was ok for cats, and those who try to pedal MMT cite that work. But most knowledgeable people disagree, including all the car makers as regards their warranties.

To determine whether an octane booster is an organometallic or simply a very high octane component that is harmless in gas, simply note that the highest octane of any normal component in gas is around 130. So do the arithmetic, and you’ll find that if it’s a harmless booster and you want to raise the gas by 2.5 octane, you’d need to add at least 9 ounces per gallon, or a gallon and a half per 20 gallon tankfull. Anything less than that, and the product is clearly an organometallic.

royal flush 04-20-2017 01:55 PM

OK--in the 100+ heat here--i was getting just alittle ping in 1/2 throttle third gear--i started using klotz for about a month--1 oz per gallon--after 2 months of use NO ping at all in 110 deg heat-a stock 2001 z06--it does something-

Corvette_Ed 04-20-2017 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by royal flush (Post 1594570651)
OK--in the 100+ heat here--i was getting just alittle ping in 1/2 throttle third gear--i started using klotz for about a month--1 oz per gallon--after 2 months of use NO ping at all in 110 deg heat-a stock 2001 z06--it does something-

If you're getting a ping you have a bigger problem than octane. :yesnod:

LDB 04-20-2017 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by royal flush (Post 1594570651)

Organometallics are very efficient at raising octane. That’s why lead was used for decades and is presumably why your pinging went away (although as Corvette Ed said, if your engine controls are ok, it shouldn’t have been pinging in the first place). The problem with organometallics is that they are both human and catalytic converter poisons. So the question is, do you want to use a poison to control knocking, or should you instead, have your engine controls inspected/repaired or use a non-poisonous means of getting to higher octane.

royal flush 04-20-2017 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed (Post 1594570701)
If you're getting a ping you have a bigger problem than octane. :yesnod:

with 91 octane and 100+ deg heat--im sure its very normal to get alittle ping--car runs great--never a tune--maybe it runs alittle on the lean side--but no question klotz works for me!:cheers: I dont think they can put sensor and converter safe on the can with out false advertising

LDB 04-20-2017 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by royal flush (Post 1594570932)
I dont think they can put sensor and converter safe on the can with out false advertising

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Lead could kill your cats in a few tankfulls, and MMT clearly isn’t anywhere near that bad. Most countries including the US approved use of MMT in the years right after lead phase out. But as more was learned, most countries either banned or severely restricted MMT, and car makers stopped honoring warranty on cats exposed to MMT. It’s trivially easy to tell a car that has been consistently run on MMT, as the combustion chambers, piston crowns, and cats will have characteristic manganese deposits, clearly visible to the naked eye. Will your cats be dead in a few tankfulls like with lead? Nope. Will they last 50,000 miles? Also nope. Your choice, but if you use MMT regularly and plan to keep your car for a while, plan on having to replace the cats.

Corvette_Ed 04-20-2017 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by royal flush (Post 1594570932)
with 91 octane and 100+ deg heat--im sure its very normal to get alittle ping--

I live in Texas where temps get over 100 regularly. I've never had either of my Corvettes ping.

Bottom line is, that octane booster is not safe for your engine, and it's going to cost you in time.

royal flush 04-20-2017 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 1594571380)
I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Lead could kill your cats in a few tankfulls, and MMT clearly isn’t anywhere near that bad. Most countries including the US approved use of MMT in the years right after lead phase out. But as more was learned, most countries either banned or severely restricted MMT, and car makers stopped honoring warranty on cats exposed to MMT. It’s trivially easy to tell a car that has been consistently run on MMT, as the combustion chambers, piston crowns, and cats will have characteristic manganese deposits, clearly visible to the naked eye. Will your cats be dead in a few tankfulls like with lead? Nope. Will they last 50,000 miles? Also nope. Your choice, but if you use MMT regularly and plan to keep your car for a while, plan on having to replace the cats.

It doesnt contain MMT--go to KLOTZ OIL on web--read all about it--maybe call there tech line -ask questions--than get back to us :cheers:

HBsurfer 04-20-2017 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by royal flush (Post 1594571442)
It doesnt contain MMT--go to KLOTZ OIL on web--read all about it--maybe call there tech line -ask questions--than get back to us :cheers:

LDB probably knows more about this topic than the experts who are marketing the octane booster. You may want to go back and read some of his past threads before you discount his comments. :thumbs:

royal flush 04-20-2017 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by HBsurfer (Post 1594571542)
LDB probably knows more about this topic than the experts who are marketing the octane booster. You may want to go back and read some of his past threads before you discount his comments. :thumbs:

All i can say--call the tech--talk to one of the engineers--they can answer any questions about there products--i cant so call the experts!

Corvette_Ed 04-20-2017 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by royal flush (Post 1594571620)
All i can say--call the tech--talk to one of the engineers--they can answer any questions about there products--i cant so call the experts!

I think you're missing the point that LDB IS an expert. :thumbs:

zrracer 04-20-2017 03:56 PM

I don't think royal flush is going to listen regardless of how many times you tell him. I wonder why he wants LBD to do the homework for him? He wanted everyone here to know he bought a can and it worked. Maybe he works for them?

royal flush 04-20-2017 04:21 PM

JC-what a rough crowd-:ack::crazy:--Have any expert call Klotz --will become an Expert+

Aerovette 04-20-2017 04:23 PM

There are NO "mechanic in a bottle" fixes. Ever... period. :cheers:

Bruze 04-20-2017 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by HBsurfer (Post 1594571542)

http://i63.tinypic.com/ic2x4o.gif

Originally Posted by Aerovette (Post 1594571864)
There are NO "mechanic in a bottle" fixes. Ever... period. :cheers:

http://i63.tinypic.com/ic2x4o.gif

This "stuff" is just masking the symptom of a problem -- the pinging. It won't fix the problem, just like taking cold medicine doesn't cure the cold, it just masks the symptoms.

dryadsdad 04-20-2017 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 1594570531)
There’s only one way to get that large an octane boost from that small a quantity of booster, namely, an organometallic, which is a hybrid molecule partly hydrocarbon and partly a heavy metal like lead or manganese. Lead in gas was outlawed in the 1970’s because it’s a serious poison to both humans and catalytic converters. Manganese in the form of the compound MMT is somewhat less poisonous than lead to both humans and catalytic converters, but it is far from harmless. Most states prohibit its use on public highways, and regular use of MMT will kill your cats and probably void your warranty. Some work years ago claimed MMT was ok for cats, and those who try to pedal MMT cite that work. But most knowledgeable people disagree, including all the car makers as regards their warranties.

To determine whether an octane booster is an organometallic or simply a very high octane component that is harmless in gas, simply note that the highest octane of any normal component in gas is around 130. So do the arithmetic, and you’ll find that if it’s a harmless booster and you want to raise the gas by 2.5 octane, you’d need to add at least 9 ounces per gallon, or a gallon and a half per 20 gallon tankfull. Anything less than that, and the product is clearly an organometallic.

I always enjoy and learn from your posts.

I'm curious about one point you make: the killing of the cats. How can the state know your cats are dead?

dr_gallup 04-20-2017 04:40 PM

It says so right on the can, they can't lie, right? Yeah, have I got a case of Slick 50 for you! Advertisers lie all the time until some one raises a fuss and the FTC cracks down on them. At best some class action lawyer sues them and takes all the cash and royal flush is left with a dead cat.

dr_gallup 04-20-2017 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by dryadsdad (Post 1594571993)
I always enjoy and learn from your posts.

I'm curious about one point you make: the killing of the cats. How can the state know your cats are dead?

Because you can't pass an emissions test.

royal flush 04-20-2017 04:53 PM

LOOK--we have all these octane booster Experts gathered together-WOW!:hurray: