CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   C5 early vs late exhaust manifolds and "H" pipe (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3976362-c5-early-vs-late-exhaust-manifolds-and-h-pipe.html)

bmc01z 04-20-2017 08:42 PM

C5 early vs late exhaust manifolds and "H" pipe

Hey guys, I have an 01 Z that I'm removing aftermarket long tubes and X pipe (I know, I know) and putting stock manifolds/cats/H pipe back on. There is a GM part number change for the stock manifolds and H pipe from early models (97-00) and late (01-04). I know the EGR changed slightly but am not sure about overall fitment/dimensions. Has anyone ever bolted late(01) manifolds to an early(99) H pipe? Thanks!

lionelhutz 04-21-2017 02:55 AM

The manifold to mid-pipe attachment is different too. I'm pretty sure they either won't bolt-up between early and late years or would bolt-up but not seal right.

The AIR tube is what changed. With the correct matching AIR tube, you could either bolt an early exhaust and midpipe onto a later car or the opposite.

bmc01z 04-21-2017 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by lionelhutz (Post 1594575277)
The manifold to mid-pipe attachment is different too. I'm pretty sure they either won't bolt-up between early and late years or would bolt-up but not seal right.

The AIR tube is what changed. With the correct matching AIR tube, you could either bolt an early exhaust and midpipe onto a later car or the opposite.

Thank you for the confirmation! :cheers:

The Wrench 04-21-2017 02:04 PM

There are actually 4 exhaust versions for the C5 manifolds and H-pipe.

'97 - '99 used a stamped manifold which was a couple inches longer, and will ONLY mate to the corresponding "shorter" H-pipe. None had the little "pup" cats on the front of the H-pipe. Main cats were two-stage, and probably not as efficient as later '02 -'04 cats. The AIR pipe on the passenger side hooked in near the last cylinder exhaust. The oil dipstick was different from the '01- '04, and bolted on differently.

The 2000 was the bastard child (I have one).
The manifolds were still stamped, but were shorter, requiring a longer H-pipe, some of which (California/Vermont only) had the new little "pup" cats on the front of the h-pipe.
The AIR and dipstick located same as the '97- '99.

The '01 std and Z changed to cast manifolds, Longer H-pipe, and all had "pup" cats. The passenger AIR pipe was moved forward near the 3rd cylinder, the dipstick mounted differently.

'02-'04 std remained the same as the '01, The Z deleted the "pup"cats from the H-pipe.

For an '01 Z easy swap back to stock, best choice is:

Any of the cast manifolds (std or Z are the same) from '01 to '04.
Non-pup H-pipe from '00 to '04.
Passenger AIR pipe and dipstick pipe from '01 - '04. (which I assume you still have).

Of course, ALL versions bolt up to any rear muffler system.

Clear as mud, right?

DG

Gordy M 04-22-2017 11:55 AM

The manifolds were still stamped, but were shorter, requiring a longer H-pipe, some of which (California/Vermont only) had the new little "pup" cats on the front of the h-pipe.

I believe NY also had the pup cats, I bought a 2000 that came off lease from a NY dealer and they had them.

bmc01z 04-23-2017 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Wrench (Post 1594578326)
There are actually 4 exhaust versions for the C5 manifolds and H-pipe.

'97 - '99 used a stamped manifold which was a couple inches longer, and will ONLY mate to the corresponding "shorter" H-pipe. None had the little "pup" cats on the front of the H-pipe. Main cats were two-stage, and probably not as efficient as later '02 -'04 cats. The AIR pipe on the passenger side hooked in near the last cylinder exhaust. The oil dipstick was different from the '01- '04, and bolted on differently.

The AIR and dipstick located same as the '97- '99.

The '01 std and Z changed to cast manifolds, Longer H-pipe, and all had "pup" cats. The passenger AIR pipe was moved forward near the 3rd cylinder, the dipstick mounted differently.

'02-'04 std remained the same as the '01, The Z deleted the "pup"cats from the H-pipe.

For an '01 Z easy swap back to stock, best choice is:

Any of the cast manifolds (std or Z are the same) from '01 to '04.
Non-pup H-pipe from '00 to '04.
Passenger AIR pipe and dipstick pipe from '01 - '04. (which I assume you still have).

Of course, ALL versions bolt up to any rear muffler system.

Clear as mud, right?

DG

DG,

Thanks for clearing this up. You've helped a ton. I knew there were some differences but didn't know there were this many. Did I mention I pulled the LS6 and am swapping for a custom built forged 24x LS7 and trying to pass strict CA emissions? Fun stuff. Appreciate the insight 10 fold. :flag::rock: