CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Couple of tips on Window Regulator Replacement (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3976415-couple-of-tips-on-window-regulator-replacement.html)

SG Lou 04-20-2017 10:47 PM

Couple of tips on Window Regulator Replacement

After 66k miles and 13 years my passenger side window regulator crapped out for good. Purchased a AC Delco unit along with the MUST HAVE replacement plug/pigtail as the design changed.

New plug on left, old one on the right :

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e4215387e1.jpg

Here is the part number for the new plug:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...dfff328470.jpg

I cut the old plug off, stripped back about a 1/4 inch of insulation off of the factory wires, cut about 4 inches off the pigtail and stripped off a 1/4 inch of of those as well. Before i did anything else I twisted the wires together and started the car up to make sure the polarity was right so when you push the down button the window goes down and not up !
Now butt connectors are supplied with the new pigtail but I soldered the wires and heat shrink wrapped them. Wrapped some black electrical tape around the wires and called that part a done deal.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...235dc5f2cf.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a1706e309c.jpg

Aside from having your tilt in /out adjustment there is a jack screw on each window clamp, left and right. These jack screw set the stop travel of the assembly. Once you have the window clamped into place, temporally plug in your switch, raise the glass up until it hits the stops and close the door. Take note as to where the top edge of the glass rests against the weather stripping. if you have a gap or it doesn't look like the edge of the window comes to rest where it originally did, you adjust those jack bolt with a 1/4 inch drive wrench and a 7mm socket. I adjusted them, a 1/2 a turn at a time bringing the jack bolt down and ran the window back up. By turning the bolt clock wise you decrease the distance between the bumper on the end of the bolt, allowing it to rise farther up. Adjusted each one twice and the window stopped exactly where it was originally, as set from the factory:

LEFT SIDE JACK BOLT

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f685104032.jpg
RIGHT SIDE JACK BOLT

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ff50a884dd.jpg

Not really pertaining to the regulator job but check out crack on the left side mounting boss...this is where the 2 screws go into to hold the door panel on . I flowed some CA Glue into the cracks. Hope it helps

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ab3beb6b7e.jpg

And last but not least.................MAKE SURE you replace your moisture barrier and plug your door speaker back in BEFORE you totally finsh buttoning up the door panel....

I'm claiming senility.......:hide:

FX VETTE 04-21-2017 12:11 AM

Nice write-up Lou! :thumbs:

Rob 02 04-21-2017 01:58 AM

Thanks. I'm getting ready to do this soon and this is right on time.

nsogiba 04-21-2017 07:45 AM

Nice job. I replaced mine last summer WITHOUT knowing that the plug changed on the newer part, and had to special order a plug, then solder it on. THEN, I put it all back together WITHOUT checking polarity, and sure enough the down switch made it go up. Sure learned a lesson that day.

Kustombox 04-21-2017 09:35 AM

This is great timing on the connector info. My passenger side went out a couple weeks ago. I would have been upset to get the new one in and not be able to plug the dang thing in.

huesmann 04-21-2017 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by nsogiba (Post 1594575679)
Nice job. I replaced mine last summer WITHOUT knowing that the plug changed on the newer part, and had to special order a plug, then solder it on. THEN, I put it all back together WITHOUT checking polarity, and sure enough the down switch made it go up. Sure learned a lesson that day.

Couldn't you just cut the old plug off?

Kustombox 04-21-2017 10:12 AM

Personally, I don't like cutting up new parts. Because it would be my luck that the new part didn't work to begin with.

Rob 02 04-21-2017 12:09 PM

If you have a tool for removing pins can you just swap the two wires or is the harness a completely different fitment?

SG Lou 04-21-2017 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by nsogiba (Post 1594575679)

I too learned the hard way, but it happened when I did my Silverado a few years ago. It wasn't a plug issue but the way the aftermarket motor was wound.

SG Lou 04-21-2017 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rob 02 (Post 1594577464)
If you have a tool for removing pins can you just swap the two wires or is the harness a completely different fitment?

Rob, are you referring to Kustombox's comment or commenting on removing the pins from the old style plug and putting them into the new plug ? If it is the latter then the pins between the two plugs are entirely different and can't be swapped.

Rob 02 04-21-2017 02:41 PM

SG Lou. I think I got confused somewhere in the advice given. So at this point I am assuming that the plugs are completely different and may have a reverse polarity.

I am doing a speaker install with sound deadening next week so I will have the doors taken apart. My window regulators aren't working as good as they should so I thought it would be the best time to replace them.

Thanks.

SG Lou 04-21-2017 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rob 02 (Post 1594578587)
SG Lou. I think I got confused somewhere in the advice given. So at this point I am assuming that the plugs are completely different and may have a reverse polarity.

I am doing a speaker install with sound deadening next week so I will have the doors taken apart. My window regulators aren't working as good as they should so I thought it would be the best time to replace them.

Thanks.

Ok I see where your going with this. You won't know if you have the wrong polarity until you wire it up. Also, it's actually the switch that reverses the polarity going to the wires. That is why it's always good to do a dry run / test to make sure it functions properly before any permanent connections of the wires are done. You could crimp a male / female blade type connector to each wire and this way if the polarity is wrong then it's just a matter of unplugging and swapping the leads. I opted to test first and then solder for a more permanent / better connection.

Mickeyrx70 04-22-2017 08:40 PM

Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and posting the tips. :thumbs:

PHILLY JOE 04-22-2017 08:44 PM

Great write up. You do need the gm pig tail after 2002. I know for shure 2001

SG Lou 04-23-2017 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by PHILLY JOE (Post 1594586853)
Great write up. You do need the gm pig tail after 2002. I know for shure 2001

Joe, I got an 04 and the pigtail was needed so I guess the answer is yes. :thumbs:

On a side note: I was flipping through the latest Ecklers C5 catalog and they list the pigtail as.....

1997-02 Power Window Wiring Harness Connector, Required when installing a new window regulator.
A design change in the electrical connection by GM makes installing the new regulator in a early C5 needing this connector.

Yet as you can see in the picture i posted, the difference between the old connector i cut off and it's replacement and like I said, I have an 04

Sam Handwich 04-27-2017 02:14 PM

SG Lou
Nice work on your write-up there. I have spent a good bit of time fiddling with those fiddly adjustments. My car is a 2001 'vert and I had this small gap at the top of the window. The rain found that gap every time.
I think I have it whipped now, but it sure took a few tries.

nwalker 05-06-2017 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by SG Lou (Post 1594588292)
Joe, I got an 04 and the pigtail was needed so I guess the answer is yes. :thumbs:

On a side note: I was flipping through the latest Ecklers C5 catalog and they list the pigtail as.....

1997-02 Power Window Wiring Harness Connector, Required when installing a new window regulator.
A design change in the electrical connection by GM makes installing the new regulator in a early C5 needing this connector.

Yet as you can see in the picture i posted, the difference between the old connector i cut off and it's replacement and like I said, I have an 04

I just received the replacement regulator, NOT KNOWING I needed a new connector, because the description of the replacement regulator says, OEM FORM, FIT and FUNCTION. That is an outright LIE! I now have my car (2003) apart, waiting on the connector to arrive so I can put it back together.

On a side note, I ordered a aftermarket replacement (for about 1/3 the price) and it installed perfectly, WITH the correct connector. HOWEVER, it DIED before I could even properly adjust the window height, thus I ordered the AC/Delco part. It didn't last 5 minutes!

SG Lou 05-06-2017 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by nwalker (Post 1594685008)
I just received the replacement regulator, NOT KNOWING I needed a new connector, because the description of the replacement regulator says, OEM FORM, FIT and FUNCTION. That is an outright LIE! I now have my car (2003) apart, waiting on the connector to arrive so I can put it back together.

On a side note, I ordered a aftermarket replacement (for about 1/3 the price) and it installed perfectly, WITH the correct connector. HOWEVER, it DIED before I could even properly adjust the window height, thus I ordered the AC/Delco part. It didn't last 5 minutes!

I guess the old saying "Ya get what ya pay for" holds true.
Live and learn i guess :cheers: