CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Boostane vs Torco test results (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3977908-boostane-vs-torco-test-results.html)

xkilo16x 04-24-2017 11:23 AM

Boostane vs Torco test results

Removed.

Z0Sick6 04-24-2017 11:26 AM

What is cost difference between Boostane and Torco for the same size amount?

davepl 04-24-2017 11:37 AM

If your car wasn't pulling timing beforehand, then no amount of additional octane will improve performance (and in fact, will hurt it). This test might determine that you're not octane limited perhaps? But without something to increase octane demand, not sure what this reveals.

Ideally you'd want some scenario where you were experiencing knock counts, add an octane product, repeat the scenario, and have those knock counts (and accompanying retard) to go away.

I'm not ragging on you though, it's incredibly hard to measure octane. In fact a dedicated one-cylinder machine used to be used, might still be!

Warp Factor 04-24-2017 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 (Post 1594595681)
If your car wasn't pulling timing beforehand, then no amount of additional octane will improve performance (and in fact, will hurt it). This test might determine that you're not octane limited perhaps?

Apparently, they are pulling timing, though it's not clear whether this is from temperature alone, or from actual detonation sensing. See post #28 in the link below, where they found about 5 degrees of timing being pulled during a 1/4 pass, even though it was only 48 degrees outside:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594595166

xkilo16x 04-24-2017 11:55 AM

deleted.

xkilo16x 04-24-2017 11:58 AM

deleted.

2fastnow 04-24-2017 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 (Post 1594595681)
If your car wasn't pulling timing beforehand, then no amount of additional octane will improve performance (and in fact, will hurt it). This test might determine that you're not octane limited perhaps? But without something to increase octane demand, not sure what this reveals.

Ideally you'd want some scenario where you were experiencing knock counts, add an octane product, repeat the scenario, and have those knock counts (and accompanying retard) to go away.

I'm not ragging on you though, it's incredibly hard to measure octane. In fact a dedicated one-cylinder machine used to be used, might still be!

What you just explained is the best so far in what happens or what octane 'boost' really does IMO.

davepl 04-24-2017 12:15 PM

I did a bunch of research on this last week for a twin-turbo project I am about to dyno; I want about 100-104 octane as a "safety" measure.

You can get race gas shipped to your house, but for 10 gallons the hazmat fees are about $150 on TOP of the shipping, so that's not really practical. I can drive a 2 hour round trip to buy it, but that's not great either.

The best compromise for me was to buy Race-Gas concentrate and add it to 92. A single 32oz can to a 5-gal jug of 92 should give me 104 octane.

If it lives up to its marketing, it'll be perfect. If!

ajrothm 04-24-2017 12:40 PM

They DEFINITELY pull timing stock.. a minimum of 4-5* on 93 octane. I've scanned mine and a buddy's...

I haven't tested any octane boosters yet but it definitely has to help with the stock tune and it's sensitive knock sensor settings.

C7/Z06 Man 04-24-2017 01:25 PM

I think your results speak for themselves. :thumbs: :thumbs: These results agree with what I have found at the track. I found Boostane to be superior to Torco with 'less' of it in the 93 octane mix than Torco as recommended here. Boostane also leaves the sparkplugs cleaner. I have mention these findings in a few of my posts that seem to fall on deaf eyes. :D This thread however may have opened some eyes. :eek::eek: :D

Note: I still have a unopened can of Torco on the shelve where it will most likely stay. I maybe wrong on this one but I remember paying less for the 32 ounce cans of Boostane (maybe on sale at the time and from the manufacturer I believe) than for the same size cans of Torco and that probably is why I tried it along with a recommendation on this site that they were similar in performance but Boostane was cleaner. I vote for clean. :cheers:

Warp Factor 04-24-2017 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 (Post 1594596013)
I did a bunch of research on this last week for a twin-turbo project I am about to dyno; I want about 100-104 octane as a "safety" measure.

You can get race gas shipped to your house, but for 10 gallons the hazmat fees are about $150 on TOP of the shipping, so that's not really practical. I can drive a 2 hour round trip to buy it, but that's not great either.

The best compromise for me was to buy Race-Gas concentrate and add it to 92. A single 32oz can to a 5-gal jug of 92 should give me 104 octane.

If it lives up to its marketing, it'll be perfect. If!

At one time, I had 55 gallon drums of race gas dropped off at my house. It was a lot cheaper than buying from the local gas station that carried race gas, and probably a lot fresher than what was in their vented underground tank.
Later, I found that I could make do with pump gas, along with water injection, on that particular blower motor (Big Block Chevy, making about 1000 horsepower).

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man (Post 1594596547)
I think your results speak for themselves. :thumbs: :thumbs: These results agree with what I have found at the track. I found Boostane to be superior to Torco with less of it in the 93 octane mix than Torco. Boostane also leaves the sparkplugs cleaner. I have mention these findings in a few of my posts that seem to fall on deaf eyes. :D

Nope, at least I, for one, was paying attention. :thumbs:
I used to run the drags on a regular basis, but the boredom of waiting between rounds finally got to me. Maybe I'll run the C7Z at the drags at some point, or maybe not, but if I do, I'd like to put down a decent ET.

C7/Z06 Man 04-24-2017 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Warp Factor (Post 1594596741)
Nope, at least I, for one, was paying attention. :thumbs:
I used to run the drags on a regular basis, but the boredom of waiting between rounds finally got to me. Maybe I'll run the C7Z at the drags at some point, or maybe not, but if I do, I'd like to put down a decent ET.

I used 16 ounces of Boostane to 'approx.' 8 gallons of 93 gas at the time but you could always go more; up to say 'even' what has been recommended on here for Torco.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I have seen as much as 32 ounce can of Torco added to 5 gallons of 93 gas on here.

Z0Sick6 04-24-2017 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man (Post 1594596814)
I used 16 ounces of Boostane to 'approx.' 8 gallons of 93 gas at the time but you could always go more; up to say 'even' what has been recommended on here for Torco.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I have seen as much as 32 ounce can of Torco added to 5 gallons of 93 gas on here.

What is the sweet spot say you?

Half a tank of gas is approx how many gallons? If you had half a tank, would you notice a difference with 16 oz vs 32 oz of the boostane?

Warp Factor 04-24-2017 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man (Post 1594596814)

Heck, don't ask me, I'm the guy who posted that he had 55 gallon drums of race gas dropped off at his house. :lol:

An interesting aside is that this wasn't delivered on a truck with a "lift" tailgate or anything. The "good-ol'-boy" delivery guy would place an old truck tire on the ground to absorb the impact, and just roll the barrel off the back of the truck (maybe a four-foot drop, never any damage to the barrel).

I've never experimented with octane booster additives other than toluene (which worked quite well, but the price of toluene kept going up to the point that the barrels of race gas were a better value).

xkilo16x 04-24-2017 03:04 PM

deleted.

jbsblownc5 04-24-2017 03:21 PM

Thanks for doing the test, I put in a 32oz can of Torco on every fill up, about 12 gallons of 91... I'm tuned on that mixture...

I also get minimum build up on plugs, of which I'm still on the first set with my Z, having run Torco in every tank from VERY early on, got about 5K on the car now...

I've NEVER had an adverse effect from Torco in over 10 years of use, seems they are both pretty close in performance, and since Torco has been around for well over 15 years, I'd say the other guys may have talked to an old employee...:yesnod:

Price wise, Torco works for me!!:yesnod:

BEZ06 04-24-2017 03:35 PM

Thanks - nice info!!

First of all - were you using Boostane Premium or Professional??:confused2:

Second of all - a 32 oz can of Boostane is more expensive than a 32 oz can of Torco, but I don't think you need to use as much Boostane to get your required higher octane.

Third of all - in your test, if you used the same quantity of each product in the same amount of gasoline, you'll have different octane ratings for each batch - and I think the Boostane blend would be higher. That could surely affect the results of your testing.

I haven't use Boostane yet, but I agree with C7/Z06 Man's post.

I have the 100 octane tune on my 2016 M7 Z06/Z07, and I've been using Torco to bring 93 up to about 100 octane. That has required about 24 oz of Torco for every 10 gals of 93 octane according to this Torco blend chart:

http://torcoracefuel.net/2-docs/acce...r-ratio-93.gif

I need some more octane booster, so last week I ordered some Boostane Professional. One of the problems with Boostane blending is that different references have different amounts required to achieve a particular end result octane.

But, no matter which blend chart I use, I've found that LESS Boostane should be required per gal of 93 to get the required octane I want. Here's the mixing chart from Boostane's site:

https://boostane.com/about-boostane/...e-mixing-chart

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c6b9af7599.png

With Boostane Professional, to turn 93 into 100 octane, I need a ratio of 138.9:1. 10 gallons of 93 octane gas in 1,280 ounces. Divide that by 138.9 and you get 9.2 ounces of Boostane Professional will be needed to turn 10 gals of 93 into 100 octane. 12.8 oz of Boostane Premium will turn 10 gals of 93 into 100 octane.

It looks like the Torco chart shows that it will take about 22+ oz of Torco in 10 gallons of 93 to get a 100 octane result.

Your mixture of 16 oz of each of the products per 11 gals gives the blended result different octanes in the 11 gals with Torco than the 11 gals with Boostane.

The Torco chart shows your 11 gals with Torco would have a final octane of slightly less than 98 octane.

The 11 gals with Boostane is a higher octane. 11 gals is 1,408 oz. Divide that by the 16 oz of Boostane you added and you get a 88:1 ratio. Looking at the Boostane mixing chart, it shows that you would have a final octane of either just slightly more than 100 octane if you use Premium, or maybe 101.4 if you used Professional Boostane.

So.....in your test, 11 gals of 93 with 16 oz of Boostane had a higher resulting octane than the 11 gals with 16 oz of Torco.

And....a 32 oz can of Boostane costs more than a 32 oz can of Torco. However, because you may need less Boostane per gallon to get the higher octane you need, Boostane may be cheaper overall.

Just MHO!!!:steering:

Z0Sick6 04-24-2017 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by BEZ06 (Post 1594597650)
Thanks - nice info!!

First of all - were you using Boostane Premium or Professional??:confused2:

Second of all - a 32 oz can of Boostane is more expensive than a 32 oz can of Torco, but I don't think you need to use as much Boostane to get your required higher octane.

Third of all - in your test, if you used the same quantity of each product in the same amount of gasoline, you'll have different octane ratings for each batch - and I think the Boostane blend would be higher. That could surely affect the results of your testing.

I haven't use Boostane yet, but I agree with C7/Z06 Man's post.

I have the 100 octane tune on my 2016 M7 Z06/Z07, and I've been using Torco to bring 93 up to about 100 octane. That has required about 24 oz of Torco for every 10 gals of 93 octane according to this Torco blend chart:

I need some more octane booster, so last week I ordered some Boostane Professional. One of the problems with Boostane blending is that different references have different amounts required to achieve a particular end result octane.

But, no matter which blend chart I use, I've found that LESS Boostane should be required per gal of 93 to get the required octane I want. Here's the mixing chart from Boostane's site:

https://boostane.com/about-boostane/...e-mixing-chart

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c6b9af7599.png

With Boostane Professional, to turn 93 into 100 octane, I need a ratio of 138.9:1. 10 gallons of 93 octane gas in 1,280 ounces. Divide that by 138.9 and you get 9.2 ounces of Boostane Professional will be needed to turn 10 gals of 93 into 100 octane. 12.8 oz of Boostane Premium will turn 10 gals of 93 into 100 octane.

It looks like the Torco chart shows that it will take 16 oz of Torco in 10 gallons of 93 to get a 100 octane result.

Your mixture of 16 oz of each of the products per 11 gals gives the blended result different octanes in the 11 gals with Torco than the 11 gals with Boostane.

The Torco chart shows your 11 gals with Torco would have a final octane of slightly less than 98 octane.

The 11 gals with Boostane is a higher octane. 11 gals is 1,408 oz. Divide that by the 16 oz of Boostane you added and you get a 88:1 ratio. Looking at the Boostane mixing chart, it shows that you would have a final octane of either just slightly more than 100 octane if you use Premium, or maybe 101.4 if you used Professional Boostane.

So.....in your test, 11 gals of 93 with 16 oz of Boostane had a higher resulting octane than the 11 gals with 16 oz of Torco.

And....a 32 oz can of Boostane costs more than a 32 oz can of Torco. However, because you may need less Boostane per gallon to get the higher octane you need, Boostane may be cheaper overall.

Just MHO!!!:steering:

So basically with a 32 oz bottle of Professional, with a half a tank (give or take 11 gallons), you can use it 3 times until bottle is empty and basically be running 100 octane. Cost comes to $11.66 each time as the bottle is around $35 shipped.

Utilizing Torco 16 oz for that same amount, you get 2 uses of it... a 32 oz bottle of torco is roughly $22.75... so it winds up averaging the same cost per application.

BEZ06 04-24-2017 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6 (Post 1594597991)
....so it winds up averaging the same cost per application.

I dunno!?!? :confused2:

I haven't received my order of Boostane Professional yet - and I won't use it until my next track event the end of June at the NCM HPDE at VIR. I run 93 octane for the street.

HOWEVER - my math shows the Boostane will be cheaper to use in order to achieve 100 octane.

My last case of 6 quart cans of Torco was from eBay for a total of $125.70 delivered to my door.

The case of 6 quart cans of Boostane Pro I ordered will be here tomorrow. It was from eBay as well for a total of $165.95 to my door.

6 quarts of each product is a total of 192 ounces. Divide the price of each by 192 oz, and I get:
Boostane Pro - 86.4 cents/oz

Torco - 65.5 cents/oz
So....Torco is cheaper per ounce

Butt.....to increase 10 gallons of 93 octane to 100 octane I need:
Boostane Pro - 9.2 ounces x $.864/oz = $7.95

Torco - 16 ounces x $.655/oz = $10.48

Bottom line - it appears to me that the Boostane Pro will be a bit cheaper for the end result of increasing 93 octane to 100 octane.

Just MHO, YMMV (Your Math May Vary!!!)

jbsblownc5 04-24-2017 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BEZ06 (Post 1594598326)
I dunno!?!? :confused2:

I haven't received my order of Boostane Professional yet - and I won't use it until my next track event the end of June at the NCM HPDE at VIR. I run 93 octane for the street.

HOWEVER - my math shows the Boostane will be cheaper to use in order to achieve 100 octane.

My last case of 6 quart cans of Torco was from eBay for a total of $125.70 delivered to my door.

The case of 6 quart cans of Boostane Pro I ordered will be here tomorrow. I was from eBay as well for a total of $165.95 to my door.

6 quarts of each product is a total of 192 ounces. Divide the price of each by 192 oz, and I get:
Boostane Pro - 86.4 cents/oz

Torco - 65.5 cents/oz
So....Torco is cheaper per ounce

Butt.....to increase 10 gallons of 93 octane to 100 octane I need:
Boostane Pro - 9.2 ounces x $.864/oz = $7.95

Torco - 16 ounces x $.655/oz = $10.48

Bottom line - it appears to me that the Boostane Pro will be a bit cheaper for the end result of increasing 93 octane to 100 octane.

Just MHO, YMMV (Your Math May Vary!!!)

And my opinion is that they both probably have some similar ingredients, and will do about the same thing in like amounts, so still makes Torco cheaper, plus my source is less then EBay...:D