CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Shocks (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3978496-shocks.html)

73n95 04-25-2017 12:47 PM

Shocks

While I checked the technical section I've not found it very helpful. The question is what is the recommended replacement for a stock 95 C4 for touring. While the tech section gives recommendations from good old Monroe-Matics at $25 a pair to HD Bilsteins for road racing, I just want a nice, efficient touring type ride that won't rattle the fillings in my teeth. Suggestions appreciated.

Barrier 04-25-2017 01:23 PM

Shocks

Hi, On my 1993 with F-1 suspension (soft ride) I have the OEM Bilstein/Delco HD these are the non Z51 models. I recently bought the replacement Bilstein HD for $85 & $84 per shock free delivery no tax ( AJ USA may sell them for even less. My car has 34k miles and when I removed the shocks due to age, no leaks gas charge still perfect. I found they were as new. Since I had already purchased the new ones I kept them for future replacement. The ride is fine. I can highly recommend the Bilsteins both for their quality and longevity. I have used them on other Vettes I have owned as well as OEM on my MH although I never experienced such longevity. I mean 24 years although only 24k miles. In all fairness these were manufactured in West Germany according to the stamp and are labeled Bilsein Delco.
Barrier

73n95 04-25-2017 01:51 PM

Problem solved. I just ordered a set of KYB's from Shockwarehouse for $126 and a $40 rebate. I'd have preferred Bilsteins but for my riding style, I could not pass up the deal. For the weekend cruiser they get OK reviews.

Cjunkie 04-25-2017 06:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just did them last month myself. The price and the rebate were fantastic. They do just fine on a stock car going down back roads or the highway.

Nokones 04-26-2017 07:24 PM

If you are just getting the groceries and not doing any track or autocrossing, the Koni Reds will work very well and a lot better than the Bilsteins or any other off the shelf shock.

rocco16 04-26-2017 09:30 PM

Yellow KONI's. You can adjust them to just about any softness/stiffness you want.

hcbph 04-27-2017 05:59 AM

Add another vote for KYB Gas-A-Justs on a street driven car. I have not complaints on them. The rebate is a bonus.

Alpina 04-28-2017 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nokones (Post 1594614437)
If you are just getting the groceries and not doing any track or autocrossing, the Koni Reds will work very well and a lot better than the Bilsteins or any other off the shelf shock.

And if you are auto crossing and some HPDE events?

rfn026 04-29-2017 08:20 AM

I'm not a huge fan of adjustable shocks on the average Corvette. You're just as likely to get it wrong as you are of getting it right.

I've had a half dozen different brands on my C4 and the best came from Myron Contrell at TPIS. He's since retired and I'm not sure the new owners even stock them.

My next best was a custom set of Bilsteins. They were revalved for improved ride quality. They really worked on the street. Not so good at Sebring.

I think the best value is the KYB.

Richard Newton
Assorted Useless Tech Stuff

rocco16 04-29-2017 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by rfn026 (Post 1594631113)
I'm not a huge fan of adjustable shocks on the average Corvette. You're just as likely to get it wrong as you are of getting it right.

That's the beauty of adjustable shocks; if/when you get it wrong, you can change them until you get them right. :thumbs:

With non-adjustable shocks, if the manufacturer gets it wrong (and they will get it wrong for at least 75% of the applications), you're stuck with it.