CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] Newbie seeking advice on C2 as daily driver (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3978786-newbie-seeking-advice-on-c2-as-daily-driver.html)

frednino 04-26-2017 12:02 AM

Newbie seeking advice on C2 as daily driver

Greetings, all, I'm a noob to the forum, but have loved Corvettes ever since my mother(!) owned a mid-70's C3, that she bought strictly for its looks alone, not knowing anything about Corvette history. It was her daily driver and was trouble-free in the half-dozen years she owned it. Fast-forward 30+ years, and I'm lusting for a C2, also for a daily driver. I live in Southern California,have a short commute (23 miles RT, mostly slow and go freeway), and put on only about 9K miles a year. I would probably be looking for a 64-66 convertible, SB, restored at some point, don't care about numbers matching or engine originality, but wouldn't want an extreme resto-mod, $50-60K price range (I've seen a couple listed here that look very nice but are just outside my price range). Anyway, my questions:

1. What are the main reasons for or against a C2 as a daily driver? Comfort? Reliability? Depreciation (I'm not looking for an investment, just something to enjoy as I near retirement)? Maintenance? (I am not mechanically inclined but willing to learn, and my brother, who is, lives in the same city)

2. I am curious as to which forum members do use their C2 as a daily driver, and what their experiences have been. Were you hypervigilant driving such a nice vehicle around? How did you handle parking at work? (I park outside with 1 side against a curb, and would probably use a car cover) How did you handle the extra scrutiny? (I am NOT a social butterfly, so I do not welcome the extra visibility)

Thank you for any responses; my current vehicle is technically advanced and comfortable, but its seamless competence makes me feel like I'm in an appliance. The C2, on the other hand, takes my breath away. -Fred

jrs 427 04-26-2017 09:43 AM

Welcome;
You will see many faces on the forum. Those that collect, investors, number crunchers, part number searchers, as well as a few hobbyists / gear heads that enjoy the car for its main purpose. I can't say I drive a C-2 daily although I have four coupes. Being on the tall side they don't really fit properly . I enjoy wrenching on them and scanning the storage space for their earlier cousins. Nothing wrong with a daily driven type. The drive train is basically non computerized therefore simple tools keep it in tune and repairable. California should provide a rust free frame unless it lives near the ocean. A basic average condition body with a coat of paint should suffice as a traffic stopper and great hobby. Take time to search for the right example staying focused on the mechanicals, not the history stories designed to add value. Welcome to the disease. Hope your garage has a space for your future dream . Many good printed articles on development and maintenance are available. Buy, read, and enjoy !

Frankie the Fink 04-26-2017 09:51 AM

I've been as many miles on C1s and C2s as most anybody on here with the possible exception of 2-3 people. These cars can be made uber-reliable and comfortable with a few upgrades. The biggest, recurring issue to me is fuel percolation with modern gas - it can be a PITA to overcome. Radial tires, and A/C are nice additions.

Having said that using the car as a daily driver will exclude you from most classic car insurance companies (maybe all of them) which provide 'agreed upon value' for your $50K investment. Regular car insurance will most likely be 'stated value'; meaning your insured like and old, funky, used car without modern safety equipment. Bad news.

And yes, you better damn well keep your head on a swivel and drive defensively as hell when in traffic. Your life depends on 50 year old brake and seat belts; no ABS brakes, crush zones, side impact reinforcement, air bags and what-have-you..

As far as attention, if you don't like it then you're considering the wrong car. Its so bad I had some wannabe with a cell phone glued to his ear hang around within two feet of my 61 in a restaurant parking lot pretending it was his while he talked - for about 20 minutes. Patrons were giving him thumbs up and he grinned back and waved as he stood by the driver's door. I would have gone out and jacked him up (especially if he so much as touched the car) but he was entertaining as hell...watching from inside the eatery.

RatDog 04-26-2017 09:53 AM

Hello Fred. Welcome to the forum.

One major issue you will have to deal with is insurance. You will want to have an "agreed value" policy for your car and none of the carriers I know of will cover you if you drive your car to work or use it in any other daily driver type of use. Seems like I've heard that some companies might let you drive to work on an occasional basis for an additional cost but I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone else can chime in with more information about that.

Steve

Blk63Vette 04-26-2017 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by frednino (Post 1594608667)
Greetings, all, I'm a noob to the forum, but have loved Corvettes ever since my mother(!) owned a mid-70's C3, that she bought strictly for its looks alone, not knowing anything about Corvette history. It was her daily driver and was trouble-free in the half-dozen years she owned it. Fast-forward 30+ years, and I'm lusting for a C2, also for a daily driver. I live in Southern California,have a short commute (23 miles RT, mostly slow and go freeway), and put on only about 9K miles a year. I would probably be looking for a 64-66 convertible, SB, restored at some point, don't care about numbers matching or engine originality, but wouldn't want an extreme resto-mod, $50-60K price range (I've seen a couple listed here that look very nice but are just outside my price range). Anyway, my questions:

1. What are the main reasons for or against a C2 as a daily driver? Comfort? Reliability? Depreciation (I'm not looking for an investment, just something to enjoy as I near retirement)? Maintenance? (I am not mechanically inclined but willing to learn, and my brother, who is, lives in the same city)

2. I am curious as to which forum members do use their C2 as a daily driver, and what their experiences have been. Were you hypervigilant driving such a nice vehicle around? How did you handle parking at work? (I park outside with 1 side against a curb, and would probably use a car cover) How did you handle the extra scrutiny? (I am NOT a social butterfly, so I do not welcome the extra visibility)

Thank you for any responses; my current vehicle is technically advanced and comfortable, but its seamless competence makes me feel like I'm in an appliance. The C2, on the other hand, takes my breath away. -Fred

Hello

Here is my .02 opinion. A lot of people drove these cars everyday so if you have a car that's "sorted out" its more than possible.

However, these are 50 plus year old cars. Things happen and they will need more attention than a new car if driven for everyday use. You have to be tolerant of their quirks so to speak. I have a friend who wanted a 1967 Mustang Fastback since he was a kid. He finally had and opportunity to buy one. The owner of the car started asking him questions about how "mechanical" he was (he not a fiddler or mechanical at all) Basically the owner of the Mustang talked him out of buying his car. If you aren't mechanically inclined to a certain extent it will get $$$ to own a Corvette bringing it to your mechanic a lot.

If you get a rag top it will more than likely leak. Being in Florida with rain. My girlfriend never too happy to have water dripping on her thigh or pouring down (If raining hard). I put a new seal in windshield that helped alot. Yeah she loves my car. My girl thinks of cars as something to get you from point A to point B. We went on our first date she thought it was and OLD CAMARO. Yeah she didn't have a clue what it was and still not crazy about my car. She asked me one time if it was between keeping her or my car which one would I chose. I told her I would miss her a lot when she was gone :)

I have a 1963 Corvette with original drum brakes. I seen the way people drive out in California its similar to Florida. If you are use to having your 4 wheel disc brakes on your car and riding someone ass down the freeway. You will be sadly mistaken if you think this will stop on a dime. Mine drive, rides, and handles like a 1963 Corvette.

I guess the bottom line is you have to LOVE this car and be tolerant of all its little quirks and problems a newer car wont have.

I finally put AC in my car. I got tired of sweating my ass off (I have plenty of ass to sweat) My girl like my car little more because it has AC. You have to realize all those modern conveniences you are going to lose when you buy this Corvette.
:cheers:

number3 04-26-2017 10:30 AM

living in taxachusettes i only get to drive mine in the spring summer and fall and i cant get enough of it . I am retired but if i wasnt and i lived in ca or fla or somewhere the weather was nice year round i'd definitely use it as a daily , but would have to have some of the upgrades like a/c power steering and disk brakes , all of which are obtainable . Get one , do the upgrades and drive the wheels off of it , but like others have said you will get attention. I was driving down the highway when this dizzy broad came right up next to me and blasted her horn only to compliment me while driving by , scared the hell outa me , but nothing wrong with a sweet young thing in a convertible beemer paying attention to an old geezer like me !

slalomfiend 04-26-2017 10:35 AM

daily driver

I guess I'm a little different than most of the collectors that engage in the older cars. My theory is they are cars and their highest calling is to be a car, therefore meant to be driven. I grew up with no AC Vista Cruisers on cross the US road trips so well aware of the lack of creature comforts these cars have. Also grew up working on them with my Dad so the "tinkering" isn't a surprise to me either - had a '72 Cutlass that literally ATE water pumps for a while. But hey, it only took 45 minutes to replace so what's the big deal - except maybe if you're more into TV than working with your head and hands... I'm restoring my '67 to be a driver and that's exactly where you'll find me, out driving it. Already had my first "car show" the day I drove it home from the tuner shop, two guys on cell phones that just had to walk around it for 10 minutes in front of the restaurant.
Basically, if you know what you're getting into and WHY you're doing it then you'll be the happiest guy on the road with the biggest smile - especially compared to all those that forked over $60-70k for a german sport sedan that just happens to look like every other Kia and Hyundai on the road! Absolutely NOTHING can compare to the looks of this!!!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fe30faeba5.jpg

Sky65 04-26-2017 10:39 AM

I see no reason not to daily drive a C2. Plenty reliable if you make it so. You will however pay higher insurance premium if you insure it as such. I, like many members here, have Classic Car insurance and the premiums are very low because we chose not to carry every day coverage. You can insure it for an agreed value and drive it every day but expect to pay for it. A $50K car is a $50K car be it a newer Corvette or an older one. You will pay the premium on $50K. My agreed value insurance would be approximately 2.5 times more expensive as a daily driver. I checked.

Tom

Jackfit 04-26-2017 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sky65 (Post 1594610509)
I see no reason not to daily drive a C2. Plenty reliable if you make it so. You will however pay higher insurance premium if you insure it as such. I, like many members here, have Classic Car insurance and the premiums are very low because we chose not to carry every day coverage. You can insure it for an agreed value and drive it every day but expect to pay for it. A $50K car is a $50K car be it a newer Corvette or an older one. You will pay the premium on $50K. My agreed value insurance would be approximately 2.5 times more expensive as a daily driver. I checked.

Tom

Simple...great daily driver as explained in posts....300,000 miles...so you can drive it a lot.

Insurance as a Classic with all the restrictions $400 a year

Insurance as a daily driver with agreed value about $1,000 to $1,500 same as a normal $50,000 car

The more you drive the less the car acts up

Jack

wib1961 04-26-2017 10:57 AM

Well ALL of the above advice seems prudent to heed, but let me add one more. I'm not against you driving these fine cars on a daily basis but do be aware of the thief's that also will like your vehicle. Therefor be SURE it is parked in a safe place while you leave it unattended.And remember PARTS can be removed as well as the whole car.Good luck:thumbs:

RatDog 04-26-2017 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jackfit (Post 1594610622)
Simple...great daily driver as explained in posts....300,000 miles...so you can drive it a lot.

Insurance as a Classic with all the restrictions $400 a year

Insurance as a daily driver with agreed value about $1,000 to $1,500 same as a normal $50,000 car

The more you drive the less the car acts up

Jack

Hey Jack - I'd be thrilled to pay $1,500 a year for an agreed value daily driver policy. What company offers that?

Steve

number3 04-26-2017 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by slalomfiend (Post 1594610460)
I guess I'm a little different than most of the collectors that engage in the older cars. My theory is they are cars and their highest calling is to be a car, therefore meant to be driven. I grew up with no AC Vista Cruisers on cross the US road trips so well aware of the lack of creature comforts these cars have. Also grew up working on them with my Dad so the "tinkering" isn't a surprise to me either - had a '72 Cutlass that literally ATE water pumps for a while. But hey, it only took 45 minutes to replace so what's the big deal - except maybe if you're more into TV than working with your head and hands... I'm restoring my '67 to be a driver and that's exactly where you'll find me, out driving it. Already had my first "car show" the day I drove it home from the tuner shop, two guys on cell phones that just had to walk around it for 10 minutes in front of the restaurant.
Basically, if you know what you're getting into and WHY you're doing it then you'll be the happiest guy on the road with the biggest smile - especially compared to all those that forked over $60-70k for a german sport sedan that just happens to look like every other Kia and Hyundai on the road! Absolutely NOTHING can compare to the looks of this!!!

you got that right !

Bill Pilon 04-26-2017 11:38 AM

I have had my 60 Vette for 37 years, it is truly a daily driver, I drive it every day the weather permits, I drive it where ever I want too and when I want too, I take it to my second home in NY and back without hesitation.

I do normal and routine service on it as it requires and it has proven to be very reliable.

I enjoy driving the old cars even with their bias ply tires and antiquated suspension and lack of creature comforts.

What the folks are saying about classic car insurance is very true, I do not have classic car insurance on my cars because I drive them to much and I don't cotton too much about someone telling when and for what purpose I can use my property as long i am within the confines of the law.

If I took time to worry about it getting scratched up or dinged it would take a lot of the fun out of driving it. I enjoy the hell out it and don't answer to anyone, all in all it's just another car.

Bill

warrenmj 04-26-2017 11:56 AM

You stated you would be driving in a "mostly slow and go freeway" situation, which brings a couple other things to mind as you contemplate a C2 as a daily driver. You may want to consider an auto transmission vs dealing with a clutch every day in traffic. Also, C2s tend to overheat when driving in traffic on hot days, such as SoCal.

Nowhere Man 04-26-2017 12:17 PM

What brothers me the most would be theft and you not being mechanically inclined. While these cars can be reliable they are still 50 years old with sketchy replacement parts that may or may not be any good. I feel after about a month your going to learn to hate it unless you you modify a lot of things.

Tampa Jerry 04-26-2017 12:23 PM

Daily Driver

If not done so already, I would drive a C-2 before giving up my daily driver. The cars are, without a doubt, great to drive. However, once you get used to driving a modern car, you may be in for a let down. Has anyone mentioned the smell of unburned hydrocarbons? No really, my wife can always tell when I have driven my side piped 66. I don't know if I could dive it every day. Jerry

frednino 04-26-2017 01:01 PM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by slalomfiend (Post 1594610460)

I totally agree; most modern cars look like soap bars. Just looking at your beautiful car puts the biggest smile on my face! -Fred

capevettes 04-26-2017 01:53 PM

My 65 was my daily driver for a few years back in the early 70's and it was alot of fun. However, I just can't see driving one as a daily driver today. They are magnets wherever you park them, not nearly as comfortable, reliable or fuel efficient as newer Corvettes or regular cars for that matter. In the snow belt, which I daily drove mine in for years, they are not too great. I drive mine all the time and really enjoy it, but to daily drive it, well, I just think there are better choices.

For those that do, I get it. It's a blast to be in. Just alot of better choices now.

Midyearcrisis 04-26-2017 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1594610163)
I've been as many miles on C1s and C2s as most anybody on here with the possible exception of 2-3 people. These cars can be made uber-reliable and comfortable with a few upgrades. The biggest, recurring issue to me is fuel percolation with modern gas - it can be a PITA to overcome. Radial tires, and A/C are nice additions.

Having said that using the car as a daily driver will exclude you from most classic car insurance companies (maybe all of them) which provide 'agreed upon value' for your $50K investment. Regular car insurance will most likely be 'stated value'; meaning your insured like and old, funky, used car without modern safety equipment. Bad news.

And yes, you better damn well keep your head on a swivel and drive defensively as hell when in traffic. Your life depends on 50 year old brake and seat belts; no ABS brakes, crush zones, side impact reinforcement, air bags and what-have-you..

As far as attention, if you don't like it then you're considering the wrong car. Its so bad I had some wannabe with a cell phone glued to his ear hang around within two feet of my 61 in a restaurant parking lot pretending it was his while he talked - for about 20 minutes. Patrons were giving him thumbs up and he grinned back and waved as he stood by the driver's door. I would have gone out and jacked him up (especially if he so much as touched the car) but he was entertaining as hell...watching from inside the eatery.

I stopped reading the responses after this one. Absolutely spot on. If you don't like attention, don't buy a C2.

Mike Geary 04-26-2017 02:28 PM

Fred:

You should be able to find a nice, non-matching convertible with a Powerglide and aftermarket A/C within your price target. The Powerglide is a must for the type of commute you describe, IMHO.

If you find the perfect car except for A/C, just get Vintage Air added.

Good luck with your search. Be patient! Resist the fever.

Mike

alexandervdr 04-26-2017 02:39 PM

since I work on vintage cars myself, I discourage anyone to have one, unless they can work on the car themself (or have piles of money to source the work out) . Yes you can drive them daily, but compared to recent cars they are much more prone to defects or need at least more attention and care. Jackfit who answered a couple of threads ago is an interesting case: he did 300.000 miles, but he knows every single screw, nut, bolt and part of his car by it's first and family name cause he dealt with them many times over the years. :thumbs:

frednino 04-26-2017 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1594610163)

Thanks for the info! Your anecdote is amusing - reminds me of an old Harley commercial where the guy is pretending a Sportster belongs to him.

I'm such a noob that I had to look up fuel percolation, but thanks for the heads up. And the safety issues do merit concern (esp no ABS or air bags), but I guess it would still be safer than riding that Harley! And the extra attention, even if I don't like it, I could probably tolerate it, especially if it involves sharing the passion for the car. And I'll have to research the additional insurance cost - if it's within twice the cost of insuring a modern $50K car, it would be tolerable, because of the high SPG (smiles per gallon). -Fred

Reeseb 04-26-2017 03:07 PM

My advice is to either get a car with headrests or add them to the car you get; or replace the seats with modern ones. It's an important safety consideration.

Nowhere Man 04-26-2017 03:11 PM

I didn't read where you stated you ever sat or drove a mid year. They are not made for large people. And can be very uncomfortable if your large and can get in. Do you have any experience with a car that has a carburetor? And saying one of these cars is safer then a motorcycle is a stretch.

frednino 04-26-2017 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Geary (Post 1594612223)
Fred:

You should be able to find a nice, non-matching convertible with a Powerglide and aftermarket A/C within your price target. The Powerglide is a must for the type of commute you describe, IMHO.

Mike

Thanks; I'm almost in your neck of the woods (I live in Irvine, and used to work on Camp Pendleton as a civilian, when I lived in Oceanside). I'm not sure about Powerglide - the idea of a just 2 gears seems too weird to me. And A/C on my current (sedan) car I use rarely, so lack of A/C on a dream car would not be a deal breaker. Do you know of any Corvette gatherings in the region I might be able to attend? There used to be a Cars and Coffee in Irvine (all makes); funny, that it's where I saw my first Tesla! -Fred

Duck916 04-26-2017 03:23 PM

I don't daily drive my '64, but I do live in So Cal. I have Haggerty insurance on the car, but when I bought it I also got a standard quote from State Farm--the price was about the same as for my other cars in the same value range.

My car has no trouble with the heat--in my experience a well-sorted small block car can stay cool in the worst traffic with no trouble. You will have to spend more on maintenance, but these cars are actually pretty reliable because they are so simple.

As far as attention goes, be prepared for it. Here in So Cal we see lots of exotic cars, right? I've driven lots of them myself. By far, though, I get the most attention in the Corvette.

Just saw your question about gatherings--there is a regular one in Newport Beach on Balboa. You should check that one out. It's on Sunday mornings, about halfway down the main drag.

And if you don't like the Powerglide you can pretty easily at a TH350 (that's what my car has). Frankly, though, I wouldn't bother to spend the money for the 3 speed over the 2 speed autobox.

frednino 04-26-2017 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1594612560)
I didn't read where you stated you ever sat or drove a mid year. They are not made for large people. And can be very uncomfortable if your large and can get in. Do you have any experience with a car that has a carburetor? And saying one of these cars is safer then a motorcycle is a stretch.

I've sat in but not driven one (it was in a showroom); getting in and out seemed OK (I'm a short guy, shorter than Isaiah Thomas of the Celtics). And I have long ago experience having cars with carburetors (and flooding the engine, of course), though, again, as a mechanical noob, I've never worked on one (though my brother has). And I do think statistics would bear me out that a C2 would be safer than a motorcycle (my sister-in-law used to be an operating room nurse, and she said they would refer to motorcyclists as "organ donors"). Thanks for the input! -Fred

TCracingCA 04-26-2017 03:35 PM

One it will probably get stolen very quickly if you are parking it anywhere in your travels.

Two in the rush hour traffic, you will probably have it rear ended by someone texting or sexting on the iphone!

Harry Hood 04-26-2017 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Geary (Post 1594612223)
Fred:

Mike

This is my driver,but it could be yours. Ca. car most of its life..Harry-574-361-5672
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...C_0179copy.jpgHarryhttp://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...C_0192copy.jpgHarry-574-361-5672

Redbird 04-26-2017 11:14 PM

Call Adam Boca at the National Corvette Museum for an auto insurance quote. 877-678-7626.

Revfan 04-27-2017 02:18 AM

My $.02

There is no rule that says you have to start from jump street as a daily driver...

Get involved with your local club and meet folks that have them. They may even let you drive it (I used to let folks drive mine... no biggie to me).

When you find one you like.. buy it.

Keep it for a year with Antique Vehicle insurance. Drive it "occasionally" and work the bugs out. YOU WILL FIND THINGS THAT NEED work, replacing, restoring.... that is just part of the game with these cars.

At the end of the year or time frame you set up, if you want to go "Daily Driver", then change your insurance and have at it. By then you should know your car pretty well, and have a REALLY good idea of what you are getting into.

If it works out like you planned..... Viola'!
If not, then you can keep it as a "historic vehicle" and keep on keepin' on as a weekend car.
If you hate it, I am pretty sure you could get out of it what you have into it.

I bought one "To Drive".... but I found out I enjoyed tinkering with it, and learning about working on the car as much as I did driving it - Surprise!.

While its your "weekend car", you can learn to fix 90% of the things that come up yourself. Some things you can farm out if you don't want to tackle them, but I'd never really turned a wrench before and I did a ton of stuff to my car... Pretty much with the help of this forum and youtube videos.

You will have a ton of fun, make new friends, and learn a lot about cars, corvettes, and yourself on this journey.

That Red 65 you are looking at in the classifieds would be perfect.

When you find a car you are interested in, find someone on the forum to go take a look at it for you. Somebody experienced with C2s will know what to look for. No car is perfect, but if the car doesn't have major problems with Frame/Birdcage rust, and everything else seems sorted... why not?

number3 04-27-2017 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Hood (Post 1594615294)
This is my driver,but it could be yours. Ca. car most of its life..Harry-574-361-5672
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...C_0179copy.jpgHarryhttp://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...C_0192copy.jpgHarry-574-361-5672

nice lookin car harry , got any more pics , and how much are you asking ?

warrenmj 04-27-2017 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by number3 (Post 1594616809)
nice lookin car harry , got any more pics , and how much are you asking ?

You should PM Harry and not steal the OP's thread.

65GGvert 04-27-2017 10:54 AM

I think overheating in traffic will end up being your main concern, specially if you intend to try to run a/c.

DansYellow66 04-27-2017 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by TCracingCA (Post 1594612739)
One it will probably get stolen very quickly if you are parking it anywhere in your travels.

Two in the rush hour traffic, you will probably have it rear ended by someone texting or sexting on the iphone!

Originally Posted by alexandervdr (Post 1594612302)
since I work on vintage cars myself, I discourage anyone to have one, unless they can work on the car themself (or have piles of money to source the work out) . Yes you can drive them daily, but compared to recent cars they are much more prone to defects or need at least more attention and care. Jackfit who answered a couple of threads ago is an interesting case: he did 300.000 miles, but he knows every single screw, nut, bolt and part of his car by it's first and family name cause he dealt with them many times over the years. :thumbs:

:iagree: Except for the most unusual of situations a C2 would make a poor choice of a daily driver. You would either die in it, end up broken down on the roadside without a clue, pay shops crazy repair prices for poor repairs because they don't know how to work on them, or find it stolen after running in to Lowe's or Walmart.

Oh yes, in the meantime it will ride rough, rattle, be hot in the summer, smell up your clothes and garage every time you fire it up, and your girl friend or wife (or both) will quickly learn to hate it

Frankie the Fink 04-27-2017 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All the above is true for the most part. However, I drove this souped up Ford between Norfolk, Va and Leonardtown, Md EVERY weekend for two years from 1992-1994 and it was my daily driver all week while in Maryland.

650 Holley double pumper, 325+ HP with 351 heads on a 289 block and a Shelbyized suspension.

Never ONCE broke down....

Even if it had ever done so the people maintaining these cars daily back in the 60s weren't Einsteins or Hawkings.....you can learn to do it and with a supply of 'hot spares' stay on the road indefinitely (e.g. water pump, fuel pump, starter, carb). Most other things you can get at NAPA.

DSR 04-27-2017 11:20 AM

Wow.a lot of negative responses here. It's just a car. If it is maintained properly you can drive it 24/7 no problem.
Dave

number3 04-27-2017 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by warrenmj (Post 1594618027)
You should PM Harry and not steal the OP's thread.

well maybe harry shoulda posted it in the for sale section . i didnt realize asking a question was stealing the thread . i apologize.

Nowhere Man 04-27-2017 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DSR (Post 1594618673)
Wow.a lot of negative responses here. It's just a car. If it is maintained properly you can drive it 24/7 no problem.
Dave

Truth hurts. Owning a old car is not always sunshine and rainbows.

Bill Pilon 04-27-2017 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by DansYellow66 (Post 1594618467)
:iagree: Except for the most unusual of situations a C2 would make a poor choice of a daily driver. You would either die in it, end up broken down on the roadside without a clue, pay shops crazy repair prices for poor repairs because they don't know how to work on them, or find it stolen after running in to Lowe's or Walmart.

Oh yes, in the meantime it will ride rough, rattle, be hot in the summer, smell up your clothes and garage every time you fire it up, and your girl friend or wife (or both) will quickly learn to hate it

As I mentioned in a prior post I drive my 60 almost every day as an ordinary car.

I have had it 37 years and have found it to be very reliable.

I didn't realize that the c2's were that bad compared to the c1's.

You think we pay crazy prices to have our vettes repaired, take a late model high end car, ie Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, MB etc. , out of warranty, and have a complicated electronic problem repaired, that repair bill makes our vette's repair bill look like chump change. I have the receipts to prove it.

Bill

Nowhere Man 04-27-2017 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon (Post 1594619039)
As I mentioned in a prior post I drive my 60 almost every day as an ordinary car.

I have had it 37 years and have found it to be very reliable.

I didn't realize that the c2's were that bad compared to the c1's.

You think we pay crazy prices to have our vettes repaired, take a late model high end car, ie Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, MB etc. , out of warranty, and have a complicated electronic problem repaired, that repair bill makes our vette's repair bill look like chump change. I have the receipts to prove it.

Bill

If you can work on it your self and trust your handy work and the parts you buy to fix the car then yes a mid year can be very reliable. I don't think that part is a problem. The problem is the OP is going to be at the Mersey of other people. And not to many shops know how to work on a car they can't plug in to get a code. How many shops do you know that still has a Sun analyzer machine or cylinder short/dwell meters or for that mater a timing gun.

Plus you have everything else that goes along with driving a collectable every day.

number3 04-27-2017 12:16 PM

I think the best option for the op would be to find a restomod c2 with late model drivetrain and running gear w a/c , auto and enjoy it .

dcaggiani 04-27-2017 12:17 PM

Dave

Posters are just being realistic about the reality of owning any type of classic car. Compared to the technology of today's cars, folks forget when we had to "McGyver" cars in the past.

My RestoMod in my humble opinion is the best of both worlds.

number3 04-27-2017 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by dcaggiani (Post 1594619120)
Posters are just being realistic about the reality of owning any type of classic car. Compared to the technology of today's cars, folks forget when we had to "McGyver" cars in the past.

My RestoMod in my humble opinion is the best of both worlds.

I agree , mine i guess could be regarded as a restomod due to the fact that i upgraded to power steering and a 5 spd , but after a week of turning the nonpower steering wheel i was done . The wife wanted to go with an automatic so she could drive it too but I sadly had to tell her they arent available for these cars yet heh heh .

After38Years 04-27-2017 12:27 PM

The stop and go traffic of commuting would be my biggest concern. I drove my '66 4-speed in Washington DC area traffic for years, and did not have overheating problems (non-AC car). However, even in my 20's, my leg was sore after a 40 minute stint of creep-along commute.

LouieM 04-27-2017 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Revfan (Post 1594616624)
My $.02

There is no rule that says you have to start from jump street as a daily driver...

Get involved with your local club and meet folks that have them. They may even let you drive it (I used to let folks drive mine... no biggie to me).

Keep it for a year with Antique Vehicle insurance. Drive it "occasionally" and work the bugs out. YOU WILL FIND THINGS THAT NEED work, replacing, restoring.... that is just part of the game with these cars.

At the end of the year or time frame you set up, if you want to go "Daily Driver", then change your insurance and have at it. By then you should know your car pretty well, and have a REALLY good idea of what you are getting into.

If not, then you can keep it as a "historic vehicle" and keep on keepin' on as a weekend car.

I bought one "To Drive".... but I found out I enjoyed tinkering with it, and learning about working on the car as much as I did driving it - Surprise!.

While its your "weekend car", you can learn to fix 90% of the things that come up yourself. Some things you can farm out if you don't want to tackle them, but I'd never really turned a wrench before and I did a ton of stuff to my car... Pretty much with the help of this forum and youtube videos.

You will have a ton of fun, make new friends, and learn a lot about cars, corvettes, and yourself on this journey.

When you find a car you are interested in, find someone on the forum to go take a look at it for you. Somebody experienced with C2s will know what to look for. No car is perfect, but if the car doesn't have major problems with Frame/Birdcage rust, and everything else seems sorted... why not?

Now THIS is a rational way to go. Buy a nice Vette that's been thoroughly checked out by an experienced person, get used to driving it, fix what's not right, do upgrades as needed, learn the basics of fixing things, and --viola--you have a daily driver! Small-block Vettes were my daily drivers for many years in So Cal and they never overheated; big-blocks do overheat, so avoid them. Add headrests if the car doesn't have them (they were an option in 1966-67) and lap/shoulder harnesses (aftermarket). Get a Sting Ray with disc brakes (65-up) because they stop in as short a distance as most modern cars. Comfortwise, I've driven my 67 on trips of thousands of miles and it has better seats than my C6. From the perspective of enjoying life fully, the world is at its very finest when viewed over the hood and peaked fenders of an original Sting Ray. As others have said, you MUST get any potential purchase thoroughly checked out by an experienced person. The '67 I have now was gone over with a fine-tooth comb by an NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) 1967-only judge, so I knew the cars' strengths and weaknesses before I even saw it.

Lou

Lotsacubes 04-27-2017 12:46 PM

My daily drive is ~50 minutes each way, straight roads with about 1/3 of that in traffic. It wouldn't take more than a few days and I'd want my AC, luxurious seat, cruise control, power everything, back. But the worst part would be ruining the "specialness" of those Saturday evening drives in the hills or Sunday cruises. We have the vette to make our date nights more romantic, to escape the mundane. For me it wouldn't be about reliability, it's about protecting that joy of it not being my routine.

Lotsacubes 04-27-2017 12:46 PM

Buy a cheap DD and keep the mistress for the weekend.

DansYellow66 04-27-2017 01:28 PM

Dave

I haven't seen in any post where the OP said he could perform the work of repairing or maintaining a C2 himself - he said he had to look up the term fuel percolation. If you are a fairly accomplished mechanic and understand old cars and how they work and are willing to work on electrical systems, carbs, distributors, suspension systems, brakes, do your own troubleshooting, - yeah, that could makes a big difference.

It's nearly impossible to find anyone you can to trust to work on these old cars anymore. My neighbor is the service manager for a local Honda Dealer and has an old Chevelle he plays with and when I started rebuilding my GTX transmission I flagged him down to ask if he could recommend a transmission parts house that was well stocked. He kind of looked at me with a deer in the headlights glazed look and said gee, he didn't know of any. They don't do any transmission work except pull and replace. I asked if he had any old timers down there that might suggest one - and he said no, he doubted any of his service technicians knew the first thing about the insides of a transmission. He said they would be lost if someone brought an old car to them.

Even if he learns to work on it, he's still going to eventually be run over and killed by some idiot in a 6,000 lb Suburban texting or on medical marijuana unless it's stolen from his workplace or Walmart first.

GTOguy 04-27-2017 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by DansYellow66 (Post 1594619647)
I haven't seen in any post where the OP said he could perform the work of repairing or maintaining a C2 himself - he said he had to look up the term fuel percolation. If you are a fairly accomplished mechanic and understand old cars and how they work and are willing to work on electrical systems, carbs, distributors, suspension systems, brakes, do your own troubleshooting, - yeah, that could makes a big difference.

It's nearly impossible to find anyone you can to trust to work on these old cars anymore. My neighbor is the service manager for a local Honda Dealer and has an old Chevelle he plays with and when I started rebuilding my GTX transmission I flagged him down to ask if he could recommend a transmission parts house that was well stocked. He kind of looked at me with a deer in the headlights glazed look and said gee, he didn't know of any. They don't do any transmission work except pull and replace. I asked if he had any old timers down there that might suggest one - and he said no, he doubted any of his service technicians knew the first thing about the insides of a transmission. He said they would be lost if someone brought an old car to them.

Even if he learns to work on it, he's still going to eventually be run over and killed by some idiot in a 6,000 lb Suburban texting or on medical marijuana unless it's stolen from his workplace or Walmart first.

A lot of truth here. If you were mechanically savvy, I'd say go for it. In your current position with your limited skillset, I don't recommend commuting in a 50 year old car that you and most current auto techs are not familiar with. If I were in your place I would: become technically skilled, and then drive the car of my dreams. Up to you. To buy a 50 year old Corvette, though, and expect to drive it without issue or the need to understand its complexities is not super realistic. I will say this: these cars are deceptively simple and easy to repair compared to new cars...once you understand their systems. Good luck.

Mr Fufu 04-27-2017 07:17 PM

[I have a little story you might find interesting.

Back in the 1980's when I first caught the Corvette 'fever' I had every intention of replacing my '75 Camaro daily driver with a C2. But things didn't quite work out that way.

After a diligent search over many months I finally found a ’65 coupe that I fell in love with – Rally Red, black leather, 327-365hp L-76 engine, 4-speed, 3.70 posi axle, side pipes, knock-offs, teakwood wheel, with 43k original miles. This car was in excellent condition and was mechanically sound.

In order to raise the money needed for the Corvette, I sold my Camaro and bought a ’72 Chevy Nova as a temporary beater to drive while I found the C2 of my dreams. My plan was to give the Nova to my girlfriend once I found a Vette to replace it as my daily driver.

So far so good. I was beaming from the joy of seeing my new acquisition each time I went to drive it. I quickly realized that this wasn’t as soporific a ride as my old Camaro – the Vette had manual transmission, steering and brakes. This car was meant to be DRIVEN. However, its lack of power steering made it a bit of a chore to maneuver into tight parking spots. No big deal. But, commuting daily in stop & go traffic soon got to be chore with clutching to change gears constantly. My left leg got stronger in a hurry thanks to the stiff clutch in that car.

Also, I found its solid-lifter engine with 11:1 compression to be somewhat temperamental. Finding gas with enough octane wasn’t easy, as only one gas station brand in my area carried 94 octane fuel. Even with this gas the engine would detonate under load unless I selected a low enough gear to keep the revs up. I mostly solved this by retarding the ignition slightly and using octane booster, but keeping a supply of booster in the car to add at each fill-up became a nuisance.

As mentioned, the high performance engine also carried another liability in stop & go traffic. The torque curve of the L76 engine at low engine speeds was poor. I would have to downshift constantly to ensure the engine would not ‘ping’, and to get enough pull for a quick get-away. Oh, above 3,500 rpm this car was white-knuckle fun! But rarely could I use this hi-performance potential, as most of the time I was stuck in commuter traffic.

The last annoyance were those side pipes. They look devastatingly good – and have a rumbling sound at idle that means business. But, day after day of driving with that droning sound right behind the doors got a bit old. And, during longer highway runs, the noise was loud enough to give me ringing in the ears. Turning up the stock AM/FM radio wasn’t much help – I could hardly hear it over the roar of the exhaust!

The final straw came a few months into my C2 daily driving experiment. One night I drove downtown to join some friends for a meal. You can imagine my chagrin when I came out to find the passenger side of the car was keyed! I took this as a sign that my red Corvette was simply too nice a car to rely on for daily driving. If I wanted to keep it in the good condition it was then I'd have to relieve it of daily driving duties. Winter was coming and I didn’t relish battling rain and possibly snow (I live in Vancouver BC which is rather wetter than sunny California). So, I decided that I’d keep the C2 as my ‘other car’ and enjoy it during weekends and for special pleasure drives. It was the right decision.

Echoing what others here have said, here’s what I’d advise if you’re considering a C2 as a daily driver:
  1. Get one with a base motor, hydraulic-cam small block engine (250 or 300hp). These engines have plenty of torque low down to move the car briskly away from stoplights and are more responsive at low speeds when you may have to make a quick maneuver. Forget about big-block cars – these are more expensive, will pass anything (but a gas station!) and are prone to over-heating issues.
  2. Base engine cars usually have a 3.36 rear end ratio – a good compromise between off-the-line performance and economical highway cruising. Also, base engines have lower compression (10:1 vs 11:1) that the higher performance (i.e. 350 or 365 hp) versions, so you should be able to tune it to run on pump gas without the need for octane boosting additives.
  3. Your best bet is to find a C2 with automatic transmission. C2’s only came stock with a 2-speed Powerglide, a generally simple and reliable transmission. You may find an automatic C2 that has been converted to a 3 or 4-speed automatic. That’s even better for performance and economy, especially if it has an overdrive trans. You’ll quickly tire of clutching constantly in low speed traffic, so the auto is the way to go for a daily driving car.
  4. Finally, you’ll find that a C2 with power brakes and power steering will be easier to live with. Ideally, you’ll also find one with air conditioning, but note that factory A/C cars are relatively rare. Reliable aftermarket systems can be added to a C2 and are much welcomed in hot weather, especially if you’re driving a coupe.

All this is not to discourage you from using a C2 as your daily driver, especially in the mild climate of So-Cal. If you choose your C2 wisely then it could be a feasible and rewarding move.:D

P.S. I hated that ’72 Nova. Although it had a 307 engine, it was a total dog - it couldn’t pull a hobo off your sister! So I gave it to the girlfriend, as promised, and sought another vehicle for daily use. I wanted something interesting, distinctive, reliable, and better suited to daily use. I came across a ’65 Buick Riviera which I bought on a lark because of its looks and a review of it I’d read in a collector car magazine. The Riv fitted the bill nicely – power everything, including transmission. It had ample performance with its 425 cu. in. engine, and was reliable too. I drove that car daily for ten years until I got married and moved to the suburbs! I retired that car and still have it today.

frednino 04-27-2017 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Revfan (Post 1594616624)
My $.02

Thanks so much for your wisdom; everything you say makes a lot of sense. Instead of diving into the deep end, I can start out in the shallows and work my way down. I can consider everyone on the forum to be a swim instructor! -Fred

frednino 04-27-2017 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Fufu (Post 1594621959)
[I have a little story you might find interesting.

Back in the 1980's when I first caught the Corvette 'fever' I had every intention of replacing my '75 Camaro daily driver with a C2. But things didn't quite work out that way.

After a diligent search over many months I finally found a ’65 coupe that I fell in love with – Rally Red, black leather, 327-365hp L-76 engine, 4-speed, 3.70 posi axle, side pipes, knock-offs, teakwood wheel, with 43k original miles. This car was in excellent condition and was mechanically sound.

In order to raise the money needed for the Corvette, I sold my Camaro and bought a ’72 Chevy Nova as a temporary beater to drive while I found the C2 of my dreams. My plan was to give the Nova to my girlfriend once I found a Vette to replace it as my daily driver.

So far so good. I was beaming from the joy of seeing my new acquisition each time I went to drive it. I quickly realized that this wasn’t as soporific a ride as my old Camaro – the Vette had manual transmission, steering and brakes. This car was meant to be DRIVEN. However, its lack of power steering made it a bit of a chore to maneuver into tight parking spots. No big deal. But, commuting daily in stop & go traffic soon got to be chore with clutching to change gears constantly. My left leg got stronger in a hurry thanks to the stiff clutch in that car.

Also, I found its solid-lifter engine with 11:1 compression to be somewhat temperamental. Finding gas with enough octane wasn’t easy, as only one gas station brand in my area carried 94 octane fuel. Even with this gas the engine would detonate under load unless I selected a low enough gear to keep the revs up. I mostly solved this by retarding the ignition slightly and using octane booster, but keeping a supply of booster in the car to add at each fill-up became a nuisance.

As mentioned, the high performance engine also carried another liability in stop & go traffic. The torque curve of the L76 engine at low engine speeds was poor. I would have to downshift constantly to ensure the engine would not ‘ping’, and to get enough pull for a quick get-away. Oh, above 3,500 rpm this car was white-knuckle fun! But rarely could I use this hi-performance potential, as most of the time I was stuck in commuter traffic.

The last annoyance were those side pipes. They look devastatingly good – and have a rumbling sound at idle that means business. But, day after day of driving with that droning sound right behind the doors got a bit old. And, during longer highway runs, the noise was loud enough to give me ringing in the ears. Turning up the stock AM/FM radio wasn’t much help – I could hardly hear it over the roar of the exhaust!

The final straw came a few months into my C2 daily driving experiment. One night I drove downtown to join some friends for a meal. You can imagine my chagrin when I came out to find the passenger side of the car was keyed! I took this as a sign that my red Corvette was simply too nice a car to rely on for daily driving. If I wanted to keep it in the good condition it was then I'd have to relieve it of daily driving duties. Winter was coming and I didn’t relish battling rain and possibly snow (I live in Vancouver BC which is rather wetter than sunny California). So, I decided that I’d keep the C2 as my ‘other car’ and enjoy it during weekends and for special pleasure drives. It was the right decision.

Echoing what others here have said, here’s what I’d advise if you’re considering a C2 as a daily driver:
  1. Get one with a base motor, hydraulic-cam small block engine (250 or 300hp). These engines have plenty of torque low down to move the car briskly away from stoplights and are more responsive at low speeds when you may have to make a quick maneuver. Forget about big-block cars – these are more expensive, will pass anything (but a gas station!) and are prone to over-heating issues.
  2. Base engine cars usually have a 3.36 rear end ratio – a good compromise between off-the-line performance and economical highway cruising. Also, base engines have lower compression (10:1 vs 11:1) that the higher performance (i.e. 350 or 365 hp) versions, so you should be able to tune it to run on pump gas without the need for octane boosting additives.
  3. Your best bet is to find a C2 with automatic transmission. C2’s only came stock with a 2-speed Powerglide, a generally simple and reliable transmission. You may find an automatic C2 that has been converted to a 3 or 4-speed automatic. That’s even better for performance and economy, especially if it has an overdrive trans. You’ll quickly tire of clutching constantly in low speed traffic, so the auto is the way to go for a daily driving car.
  4. Finally, you’ll find that a C2 with power brakes and power steering will be easier to live with. Ideally, you’ll also find one with air conditioning, but note that factory A/C cars are relatively rare. Reliable aftermarket systems can be added to a C2 and are much welcomed in hot weather, especially if you’re driving a coupe.

All this is not to discourage you from using a C2 as your daily driver, especially in the mild climate of So-Cal. If you choose your C2 wisely then it could be a feasible and rewarding move.:D

P.S. I hated that ’72 Nova. Although it had a 307 engine, it was a total dog - it couldn’t pull a hobo off your sister! So I gave it to the girlfriend, as promised, and sought another vehicle for daily use. I wanted something interesting, distinctive, reliable, and better suited to daily use. I came across a ’65 Buick Riviera which I bought on a lark because of its looks and a review of it I’d read in a collector car magazine. The Riv fitted the bill nicely – power everything, including transmission. It had ample performance with its 425 cu. in. engine, and was reliable too. I drove that car daily for ten years until I got married and moved to the suburbs! I retired that car and still have it today.

Thanks so much - great information, enlightening anecdote, thorough, specific suggestions, and humorous (I haven't seen the word "hobo" in quite a while). And I'm sure you know that No-Va means no-go in Spanish. Thanks again. -Fred

C2 Hot Cam Guy 04-27-2017 09:58 PM

conveniences

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette (Post 1594610314)
Hello

Here is my .02 opinion. A lot of people drove these cars everyday so if you have a car that's "sorted out" its more than possible.

However, these are 50 plus year old cars. Things happen and they will need more attention than a new car if driven for everyday use. You have to be tolerant of their quirks so to speak. I have a friend who wanted a 1967 Mustang Fastback since he was a kid. He finally had and opportunity to buy one. The owner of the car started asking him questions about how "mechanical" he was (he not a fiddler or mechanical at all) Basically the owner of the Mustang talked him out of buying his car. If you aren't mechanically inclined to a certain extent it will get $$$ to own a Corvette bringing it to your mechanic a lot.

If you get a rag top it will more than likely leak. Being in Florida with rain. My girlfriend never too happy to have water dripping on her thigh or pouring down (If raining hard). I put a new seal in windshield that helped alot. Yeah she loves my car. My girl thinks of cars as something to get you from point A to point B. We went on our first date she thought it was and OLD CAMARO. Yeah she didn't have a clue what it was and still not crazy about my car. She asked me one time if it was between keeping her or my car which one would I chose. I told her I would miss her a lot when she was gone :)

I have a 1963 Corvette with original drum brakes. I seen the way people drive out in California its similar to Florida. If you are use to having your 4 wheel disc brakes on your car and riding someone ass down the freeway. You will be sadly mistaken if you think this will stop on a dime. Mine drive, rides, and handles like a 1963 Corvette.

I guess the bottom line is you have to LOVE this car and be tolerant of all its little quirks and problems a newer car wont have.

I finally put AC in my car. I got tired of sweating my ass off (I have plenty of ass to sweat) My girl like my car little more because it has AC. You have to realize all those modern conveniences you are going to lose when you buy this Corvette.
:cheers:

but losing those few extras is so worth it .They drive like nothing else.To the people that look & wonder about how primitive the car is sidepipes & all its like old Harleys if i have to explain you;ll never understand

Steve Stone 04-27-2017 11:48 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...23e0c3b742.jpg

Seaside, NJ car show 2012

I am the original owner of my’63 triple black convertible, 549,000 miles. As others have mentioned personnel knowledge of my Vette, the ability to do some of the repairs and a trusted mechanic are ideal for maintaining reliability and being able to enjoy the ride. I do have these. I also have a PM list that I use each winter which is down time here in the snow belt. After 54 years’ of ownership and use, I can pretty much understand (feel, taste, smell, see) when an issue is beginning. I do carry spare parts on board at all times. These parts are as small as a regulator and as large as a half shaft. I did have to replace a voltage regulator twice when on the road, once in Newfoundland and once in St Paul, MN. Now I change the regulator every 2 years. Another helpful way to keep issues to a minimum is that I do not have power brakes or power steering. When an unexpected issue has occurred we have been able to get back on the road after losing a day or less.

For photos & stories please google: Steve Stone 1963 Corvette

Thanks for the interest and safe driving to all.:D

Steve

ajrothm 04-28-2017 09:12 AM

Interesting thread.... I am surprised by the responses, mainly in the fact that people are recommending to daily drive it.(this isnt the typical responses in this section of the forum).

I agree with both sides of the camp. I do think these cars can be quite reliable, however you will HAVE to learn how to maintain/repair these cars. I would not trust anyone to work on them.

My biggest concern with driving one daily would be the potential theft, keying and soccer moms rear ending it in traffic while updating their facebook status.

All this being said, I think it would be a total blast to drive one daily, and I also agree that the base model engines would be the best for reliability and gas mpg.

My dad has 3 mid year cars that I work on/maintain, one of which is an original 60k mile 67' Coupe, 327/350hp, 4spd/3.36 car and it would be a GREAT daily driver.....(other then the fact it has a $20k paint job)....Its very reliable, plenty of room inside, has AC/disc brakes and is even pretty good on gas mpg...Its quiet and comfortable inside and the original 60k springs (aka. worn out) ride nice and soft.

Obviously I would go through every system on the car and make sure they are updated and maintained.

I think buying one for a weekend driver and keeping your daily beater for a while is a great idea until you get your feet good and wet in classic vette repair and diagnostics.

So Cal is probably the ONLY location/climate I would consider using a C2/C3 for a daily driver in though. Do your research, spend the money upfront and by the best car that you can, learn all about it, drive and enjoy.

cv67 04-28-2017 10:35 AM

plenty of us in la that can help you work on one or know of soemone who does
Get yourself an HEI igntiion, DeWitts radiator for starters
percolation will be your enemy.

Holley makes in interesting EFI it looks simple to install and dont need to be a computer genious to make it work

Talk to adam boca at NCM hes a member here he can helpp with ins been happy for 3 yrs now and its not a bunch of $

Youre in LA so dont worrry about perfect paint just get a 'driver"
Some creative hood venting can help with underhood heat
Or sped and get some good gas post pics!

SI67 04-28-2017 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Reeseb (Post 1594612532)
My advice is to either get a car with headrests or add them to the car you get; or replace the seats with modern ones. It's an important safety consideration.

Ditto for shoulder belts, IMO. This would limit you to '66 and '67. These were factory options, and with the exception of shoulder belts for '67, fairly rare. Extremely rare in the case of '66 with shoulder belts-only 37 cars! See a website called CorvSport and check the Specifications sections for more info. Someone more educated than I would have to tell you whether or not the seat belt anchors were present in all '66 cars.

Factory-style headrest kits (different for the two model years) are sold by Al Knoch interiors, and they will do the installation, which I believe involves some welding to the seat frame, if you ship them them the seats.

I can't say how hard it is to find shoulder belts, and it seems that any installation not using the factory-installed anchors would have to done by someone who REALLY knows what they are doing, or else the belts may not really add any safety.

johno504 04-28-2017 01:26 PM

what NOT to do : put 2x4bbl on a 427. 6 mpg on my daily driver....when gas was .25 a gallon

Mr Fufu 04-28-2017 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by frednino (Post 1594622620)
Thanks so much - great information, enlightening anecdote, thorough, specific suggestions, and humorous (I haven't seen the word "hobo" in quite a while). And I'm sure you know that No-Va means no-go in Spanish. Thanks again. -Fred

I absolutely know what "No-va" means in Spanish ("Won't-go"), as I grew up in Mexico City!

In all my years going back to visit family, I only saw ONE Corvette - a bronze C5 in the San Angel district in 2014. Corvettes are very rare birds down there. Years ago I met a man who owned a black 1957 Cadillac Brougham. The car had quite a history and the owner had bought it from the family of a wealthy Mexican businessman who used his connections to import the car back in the day.

When I was in my teens I lived two blocks from a GM service center on Rio Panuco street. I remember seeing GM cars being serviced there that were very rare in Mexico (i.e. Pontiacs, Buicks, few Cadillacs). These cars were prohibited from being sold new in Mexico back then (a policy designed to protect the domestic car industry - Trump might relate to that!). You could buy regular Fords, and Chevy's but none of the higher-line Ford or GM marques.

Spotting rare cars in Mexico as a youth fed my interest in American cars. So when we moved to Los Angeles when I was 14, I thought I had arrived in "car heaven"!!! :woohoo:

ganshert 04-28-2017 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Stone (Post 1594623622)

I am the original owner of my’63 triple black convertible, 549,000 miles. As others have mentioned personnel knowledge of my Vette, the ability to do some of the repairs and a trusted mechanic are ideal for maintaining reliability and being able to enjoy the ride. I do have these. I also have a PM list that I use each winter which is down time here in the snow belt. After 54 years’ of ownership and use, I can pretty much understand (feel, taste, smell, see) when an issue is beginning. I do carry spare parts on board at all times. These parts are as small as a regulator and as large as a half shaft. I did have to replace a voltage regulator twice when on the road, once in Newfoundland and once in St Paul, MN. Now I change the regulator every 2 years. Another helpful way to keep issues to a minimum is that I do not have power brakes or power steering. When an unexpected issue has occurred we have been able to get back on the road after losing a day or less.

Steve

Steve, you are truly inspiring! I would love a copy of your PM and spares list if you would be so kind as to share.

roadking40 04-28-2017 08:51 PM

Crossing paths with an old friend...

Originally Posted by Steve Stone (Post 1594623622)

Steve

I met Steve back in 1979 when we worked together. I remember driving his 63 on a date with my current wife. I thought I was a pretty big deal... Steve has terrific knowledge of the car and truly has put a TON of miles on his 63. Great guy, this forum always has a way to surprise...

Zoomin 04-28-2017 10:17 PM

I would just point out these Vettes are only slightly more practical than a unicycle soI'd get an old S-10 for a backup. Do you have a garage to park in overnight?

frednino 04-29-2017 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 1594629824)
I would just point out these Vettes are only slightly more practical than a unicycle soI'd get an old S-10 for a backup. Do you have a garage to park in overnight?

I have an old SUV for backup (Toyota Sequoia) and a garage (that's yearning for a Vette):yesnod:

TCracingCA 04-29-2017 02:00 AM

Dave

I am living here in SoCal where he has been thinking of using one as a daily driver!

There was three attempts on my 1963, and my 1968 was rear ended by an oriental lady talking on her blue tooth!

Ya if you are commuting down out of Palos Verdes to your job in a good neighborhood like Redondo Beach or similarity somewhere and you have a good alarm and visual of a safe neighborhood to park it, while doing your 8+ hour day! Then go for it!

You can get one to a very high state of reliability! The cars are truly simple! And the parts are available to make it dependable!

JerriVette 04-29-2017 02:22 AM

People say you shouldn't use a new corvette as a daily driver too...

All the time to me in fact...meanwhile I have 107k miles on my manual c6 z51...

Looks brand new...people in the corvette club here think I had the car resprayed..

I put snow tires on in the winter ..I use it everyday...I park in manhattan...I do whatever I want...

Usually I do park away from the crowds and just walk a little further at the gym or supermarket...

We have one journey through life...might as well enjoy the hell of it when we can..

It's my only car and at 58 this year...I'm doing good.

Live your dream...and don't worry so much about the what ifs.

Just my two cents and the c2 s are awesome!

If I were doing an automatic..id try and hook up a six speed automatic and an ls3 block...maybe a four speed and an ls1 would be even easier to find...I wouldn't look for a mit condition 50 grand example to daily...I'd find one in need of an engine and trans and one that wasn't perfect on the outside....I'm sure they have to be around...even if the motor and transmission are good...they have to be less expensive..I'd get ps and power brakes ..preferably discs...jmo I love the idea of retro mod c2 s..

That set up either manual or automatic is bad @ss..

I dig the manual c2 but I'm less of a fan of the powerglide...no offense to those who love powerglide...jmo

I don't like show winning specialty cars because everyone becomes too afraid to daily drive them...for fear of a scratch...

Scratches and keys can happen with any fifty grand car..

Retro mod would be very cool.

DesertSpider 04-29-2017 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by frednino (Post 1594630444)
I have an old SUV for backup (Toyota Sequoia) and a garage (that's yearning for a Vette):yesnod:

@Frednino, I'm up in the Bay Area and could be talked out of my '64 black convertible with a short list of upgrades. PM me if you want to discuss.

frednino 04-29-2017 07:25 PM

Thanks To All for the Feedback!

1 Attachment(s)
I very much appreciate the replies to my post; every one has given me food for thought. I feel much more informed about the pros and cons of a C2 as a daily driver. Just for fun, I tabulated the responses in terms of whether they saw the C2 as a daily driver idea as bad ("Hell No"), good ("Hell Yeah!"), or mixed ("Hell Maybe, If...?!"). It was a quick, seat-of-the-pants sorting, so I apologize if I miscategorized anybody's responses. You can see by the spreadsheet that for's and against's were comparable, and both greatly outnumbered by the qualified yes with caveats. I am humbled by the knowledge and wisdom shared by everybody (and the wit - I'm still chuckling over the 'hobo' comment). In an upcoming post, I will share what direction I have decided to take. Again, thanks to all. -Fred

GTOguy 04-29-2017 07:34 PM

Yep. You need to move mine out of the HELL NO column! I stated that you should sharpen your skill-set and follow your dream....that means get and drive the car, when you are up to it. Glad all of us can be of some insight. It's all about getting the most out of life, and if you never try, you never succeed. Keep us posted!

DansYellow66 04-29-2017 08:26 PM

I'm good with my position. If you live in a fairly rural area and learn to rebuild a carb, recurve a distributor, set timing, adjust points, replace brake calipers and adjust a mechanical linkage clutch - then I can be move to the "Maybe" column. :D

bradc6 04-29-2017 08:59 PM

I just drove my 66 to Bowling Green and back for the NCM Bash and that was 1000 miles.

Now that I'm home I have to deal with a leaking brake caliper and the odometer quit working Friday afternoon. Daily driving them when they were new (and you could get parts everywhere) is one thing but now if something breaks, it will likely need to be ordered.

These cars are great drivers but I wouldn't want to drive one daily in traffic.

TCracingCA 04-30-2017 12:18 AM

Heck I think I was the only guy to end up in two categories! Me knowing Los Angeles and Orange County, that is the most important factor! Just like riding and commuting on a motorcycle, you may get lucky and never get taken out, but the odds sure aren't in your favor!

Guys answering this this question from nice non-heavy traffic jammed constant areas, using one probably a lot different than in a metropolis!

frednino 04-30-2017 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by TCracingCA (Post 1594636225)
Heck I think I was the only guy to end up in two categories! Me knowing Los Angeles and Orange County, that is the most important factor! Just like riding and commuting on a motorcycle, you may get lucky and never get taken out, but the odds sure aren't in your favor!

Guys answering this this question from nice non-heavy traffic jammed constant areas, using one probably a lot different than in a metropolis!

Oh, yeah, sorry about that; you must have contributed multiple posts and I didn't realize that and categorized you twice. Now I don't know if my rating criteria shifted ("rater drift," in social science research), or your position shifted.

Luckily my Orange County commute is short enough (11 miles, 9 on fwy) that, when I get on the fwy, I just stay in the far right lane and drive leisurely but cautiously (I don't see much benefit of trying to get to the fast lane then working my way back to the slow lane when I exit). So my one lane driving behavior is very predictable, though the driving habits of those around me may not be. Anyway, thanks for your multiple posts! -Fred

Frankie the Fink 04-30-2017 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by frednino (Post 1594636292)
Oh, yeah, sorry about that; you must have contributed multiple posts and I didn't realize that and categorized you twice. Now I don't know if my rating criteria shifted ("rater drift," in social science research), or your position shifted.

Luckily my Orange County commute is short enough (11 miles, 9 on fwy) that, when I get on the fwy, I just stay in the far right lane and drive leisurely but cautiously (I don't see much benefit of trying to get to the fast lane then working my way back to the slow lane when I exit). So my one lane driving behavior is very predictable, though the driving habits of those around me may not be. Anyway, thanks for your multiple posts! -Fred

That is a wise approach and what I do... Don't go much over 65mph with the original drivetrain either. If some tool wants around me, pass for Cripe's sake and you don't have to tail gate me to do so.

One final comment from me, a friend who is a personal injury attorney told me that as many as 30% of the drivers on any given day in Orlando may be uninsured. Many of these people have no assets to speak of....to go after for financial recompense.

So, if the worst happens, its all on YOUR insurance company, so pick a good one...

Lotsacubes 04-30-2017 07:32 AM

I love your semi-scientific research. But would like you to add a 4th category for some of us...

"Hell Yes! Applaud/admire your enthusiasm, but believe that after roughly 2 weeks will conclude it's impractical and unpleasant for a host of reasons but will still LOVE the car"

Nowhere Man 04-30-2017 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes (Post 1594636730)
I love your semi-scientific research. But would like you to add a 4th category for some of us...

"Hell Yes! Applaud/admire your enthusiasm, but believe that after roughly 2 weeks will conclude it's impractical and unpleasant for a host of reasons but will still LOVE the car"

I'm in this category. I think about that a lot when I drive my BB Chevelle in the dead of summer or in foul weather. The car is a blast to drive. But it would get old real fast if I had to drive it everyday. I know that's true on my dads vettes. Bottom line Everyone is spoiled by today's cars that barely no one is truly happy with there old car. Just look how many threads are on here about adding parts to make there car be more Advance and like new cars.

DansYellow66 04-30-2017 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes (Post 1594636730)

His wife or girlfriend won't last that long - those 91 octane exhaust and percolation fumes permeating your clothes, hair, garage, everything - tend to get old on a daily basis.

Frankie the Fink 04-30-2017 08:36 AM

I guess some of us old f@rts are a bit tougher than the younger crowd....I tooled around in m '61 with no power anything, no A/C and '40s steering/suspension technology. To tell the truth I didn't even think about it that much except for the heat.

Driving a drop top, non A/C car in an Orlando summer is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop..

Nowhere Man 04-30-2017 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1594637017)
I guess some of us old f@rts are a bit tougher than the younger crowd....I tooled around in m '61 with no power anything, no A/C and '40s steering/suspension technology. To tell the truth I didn't even think about it that much except for the heat.

Driving a drop top, non A/C car in an Orlando summer is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop..

Frank I don't mind any of my 60's tech on the weekend tooling around for fun. but to use it every day would be a stretch for me. but I also get nervous when I am around a lot of traffic and tend not to drive where large amounts of cars are either. I am very selective what parking lots I enter as well. :cheers:

Frankie the Fink 04-30-2017 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1594637064)
Frank I don't mind any of my 60's tech on the weekend tooling around for fun. but to use it every day would be a stretch for me. but I also get nervous when I am around a lot of traffic and tend not to drive where large amounts of cars are either. I am very selective what parking lots I enter as well. :cheers:

I completely get it Keith. If I still worked (retired of course) a vintage daily driver would be a non-starter.

Not good to show up at work in the morning in a suit and tie wilted from the heat and smelling like expended fossil fuels...even with a big smile on your face. I drove my '66 Mustang Fastback to work for about 4 months to the Securities and Exchange Commission and parked it in my reserved spot next to the Lexus, BMW and Mercedes execs and I got a lot of subtle (and not so subtle) hints that an old muscle car wasn't doing my "image" any good - whatever that meant. Apparently, at a certain level in management, you hands fall of and you apparently can no longer do any manual, technical tasks (e.g maintain an old car).

Who knew ?

frednino 04-30-2017 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1594636549)
That is a wise approach and what I do... Don't go much over 65mph with the original drivetrain either. If some tool wants around me, pass for Cripe's sake and you don't have to tail gate me to do so.

One final comment from me, a friend who is a personal injury attorney told me that as many as 30% of the drivers on any given day in Orlando may be uninsured. Many of these people have no assets to speak of....to go after for financial recompense.

So, if the worst happens, its all on YOUR insurance company, so pick a good one...

Sage advice; and if I'm ever in Orlando...... I'm using Uber:thumbs:

68hemi 04-30-2017 04:56 PM

I have been following this thread and have a few comments.

I have driven old Corvettes for the last 39 out of 49 years. I took 10 years off to play with Mopars. I am now back in a 57.

In those years I have daily driven them as well as used them as weekend fun cars. I now drive my 57 nearly daily. However I am retired so I don't drive a car to work where it would sit for 8 hours or more. Also I live in a small (20,000 people) mountain town where thieft is not much of a problem. I still have a hidden kill switch. However if a thief REALLY wants a car they will get it.
I tell you these thing as a point of comparison.
I think in your case for your car to survive your daily drive and extended parking for the day you would need it to be in a covered, secured, fenced guarded parking area. Your car is much more at risk of being stolen then damaged to and from work considering your southern California location.
You said you are close to retiring so why the need to daily drive it to work? Letting it sit in the sun all day for a 22 mile round trip of driving? In your case I would make a decision on what it is (option wise) that you want to buy, drive your back up vehicle to work until you retire. Drive the Corvette on the weekends to work out the bugs, believe me regardless of how nice it is there WILL be bugs. You don't want to find these on your way to or from work. Once you are retired you can drive your de-bugged car more often as you like.

frednino 04-30-2017 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 68hemi (Post 1594640068)
I have been following this thread and have a few comments.

I have driven old Corvettes for the last 39 out of 49 years. I took 10 years off to play with Mopars. I am now back in a 57.

In those years I have daily driven them as well as used them as weekend fun cars. I now drive my 57 nearly daily. However I am retired so I don't drive a car to work where it would sit for 8 hours or more. Also I live in a small (20,000 people) mountain town where thieft is not much of a problem. I still have a hidden kill switch. However if a thief REALLY wants a car they will get it.
I tell you these thing as a point of comparison.
I think in your case for your car to survive your daily drive and extended parking for the day you would need it to be in a covered, secured, fenced guarded parking area. Your car is much more at risk of being stolen then damaged to and from work considering your southern California location.
You said you are close to retiring so why the need to daily drive it to work? Letting it sit in the sun all day for a 22 mile round trip of driving? In your case I would make a decision on what it is (option wise) that you want to buy, drive your back up vehicle to work until you retire. Drive the Corvette on the weekends to work out the bugs, believe me regardless of how nice it is there WILL be bugs. You don't want to find these on your way to or from work. Once you are retired you can drive your de-bugged car more often as you like.

Thanks for the feedback. I loved those "that thing got a hemi" commercials.

If I drove a C2 to work, I would use a nice (probably Covercraft) car cover and park in front of my office building. Our office is in a multi-building complex which faces away from the street. The parking is outdoors and uncovered, but to the interior of the complex. From the 2 cross streets, there are only 2 driving entrances/exits. The offices tend to have large windows (ours included) facing out to the parking lot (our office has the lobby and office manager's office facing that way), so I think theft/burglary is less of a problem (and my office is almost all veterans, many of whom are (hyper)vigilant about any suspicious activity). Also, we have a police substation in the office complex; we have "panic" buttons in our offices, and the couple of times they have been pushed (by mistake), officer arrived within 2 minutes (I just wish they had hauled off the offending panic-button pusher):yesnod:

68hemi 04-30-2017 05:51 PM

That does sound like a pretty secure work situation for your car. However, I can tell you from experience that it does not take long for a thief to get your car and disappear. a waiting enclosed trailer a few blocks away and then into traffic.
I had driven my option loaded 66 427 A/C car to work one day 30 years ago and thieves followed me home and stole the car out of my garage one night about a week later. Theft on cars like this are usually planned not an act of opportunity. Just saying.

Nowhere Man 04-30-2017 05:53 PM

To me having to put on and remove a car cover all the time would get old quicker then all the other problems that come with a 50 year old car

JerriVette 04-30-2017 06:20 PM

I would never let the things you own ...own you...just insure the vehicle properly and live the way you want to live.

I would not let the fear of theft deter you from using your possession.

I drove my corvettes into manhattan for years. I drive my corvettes everyday of the year except for the day of the blizzards as I never drove any of my cars in snow storms as it's a waste of my time ...

Corvette enthusiasts often think I'm out of my mind and warn others not to use corvettes in the winter? My corvettes always look brand new and I get a ton of thumbs up from all kinds of drivers...except corvette owners who believe these cars are in some way not capable of being everyday drivers.

Just buy the corvette you want and use it everyday...

Don't buy the most perfect example of a c2 but rather one that is a driver...

Have fun...enjoy life and remember when it's all said and done....it's the experiences we have while on this earth that count....not the the things we save in the garage...

Jmo ..I think it would be cool as hell to cruise everyday before your retirement into work in a c2 corvette...

If it gets stolen and you have insurance...just buy another one...

I doubt it will be stolen...most people are honest...hell I don't even put my targa roof on when I park my car...haven't for years and nobodies stealing my valentine one yet...

For the first few years I'd put the roof on just to "protect my valentine one" the. I finally decided...if it gets stolen...I'll just buy another one...nobody is stealing anything...or at least not yet...

I would go resto mod for laughs...they are pretty bad ass looking and must be a hell of a ride...

Check out brzo app to find a nice c2...it's a99 cent app that does vpcraigslist across the country or any region you choose..

Nowhere Man 04-30-2017 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1594640609)
I would never let the things you own ...own you...just insure the vehicle properly and live the way you want to live.

I would not let the fear of theft deter you from using your possession.

I drove my corvettes into manhattan for years. I drive my corvettes everyday of the year except for the day of the blizzards as I never drove any of my cars in snow storms as it's a waste of my time ...

Corvette enthusiasts often think I'm out of my mind and warn others not to use corvettes in the winter? My corvettes always look brand new and I get a ton of thumbs up from all kinds of drivers...except corvette owners who believe these cars are in some way not capable of being everyday drivers.

Just buy the corvette you want and use it everyday...

Don't buy the most perfect example of a c2 but rather one that is a driver...

Have fun...enjoy life and remember when it's all said and done....it's the experiences we have while on this earth that count....not the the things we save in the garage...

Jmo ..I think it would be cool as hell to cruise everyday before your retirement into work in a c2 corvette...

If it gets stolen and you have insurance...just buy another one...

I doubt it will be stolen...most people are honest...hell I don't even put my targa roof on when I park my car...haven't for years and nobodies stealing my valentine one yet...

For the first few years I'd put the roof on just to "protect my valentine one" the. I finally decided...if it gets stolen...I'll just buy another one...nobody is stealing anything...or at least not yet...

I would go resto mod for laughs...they are pretty bad ass looking and must be a hell of a ride...

Check out brzo app to find a nice c2...it's a99 cent app that does vpcraigslist across the country or any region you choose..

apples to oranges. newer vettes are everywhere, one would have to be unique to want to steel or just really easy and available. on the other hand a mid year will stick out like a sore thumb and are just easy as hell to steel. but using your new vette as a DD I give you a :thumbs: if someone can use one practical then they need to do it hands down. a 50 year old one, it will take a certain person who is stuck in the 60's and who never drove any thing past 1985 to think its a good idea.

JerriVette 04-30-2017 06:40 PM

I used brzo app and found 444 corvettes for sale between 1963 and 1967.

I wish I knew how to share the information with you but the best I can do is suggest you spend the 99 cents to get the app and search for yourself but if you let me know the color and if you prefer coupe or convertible ,,,I'll let you know...right off the bat I found a beautiful red 64 convertible automaticwith an asking price of 38 grand...looks beautiful..

My suggestion get the app..

JerriVette 04-30-2017 06:48 PM

Asking prices are ranging from 27983 to 200 grand...

For nice drivers the 27893 looks awesome...lots of red convertibles ....

Looks good to me and at anywhere from 28 to 38 grand...why worry about not using it as an everyday driver...

Probably not wanting solid lifter engines and four speeds...that's your decision...

I would live life to the fullest and live your dream..

PS..I have a severely handicapped 21 year old son who will never be on his own etc and I have to do quite a bit for him..so my 58 year old opinion is one biased towards finding the things we can do for ourselves to maximize enjoying own own life..

I think that perspective is what gift having my son has given me and I like to share this valuable perspective with others who are considering something as cool as you are planning...

Buy and use a c2 corvette as a daily driver...

Go for it..!

68hemi 04-30-2017 06:55 PM

Your replacement solution is fine if you are not picky. What you are missing is that MOST Corvette people lust after very specific models/color combos/options/documented cars etc. It is not like you can fill out an order blank and just buy it like a new one.

Nowhere Man 04-30-2017 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1594640783)
Asking prices are ranging from 27983 to 200 grand...

For nice drivers the 27893 looks awesome...lots of red convertibles ....

Looks good to me and at anywhere from 28 to 38 grand...why worry about not using it as an everyday driver...

Probably not wanting solid lifter engines and four speeds...that's your decision...

I would live life to the fullest and live your dream..

PS..I have a severely handicapped 21 year old son who will never be on his own etc and I have to do quite a bit for him..so my 58 year old opinion is one biased towards finding the things we can do for ourselves to maximize enjoying own own life..

I think that perspective is what gift having my son has given me and I like to share this valuable perspective with others who are considering something as cool as you are planning...

Buy and use a c2 corvette as a daily driver...

Go for it..!

and good chances are the cars at the bottom of the price scale need more mechanical work then the op knows how to do.

JerriVette 04-30-2017 07:09 PM

By the way there is a guy in the northern NJ corvette club who has been daily driving his 69 corvette for 542000 miles.

I'm not a club member but go to a couple of meetings each year....or shows..

His car looks great...used but cool....he is happy as hell...

I don't think there is too much difference mechanically between the 1966 corvetre and the 1969 corvette..

He just uses it...to me that's the best....

If you were a road warrior traveling salesman....I agree...a 50 year old car might wear you down...but for the average 40 mile round trip commute in a nice area of the country like Florida....

Live a little...

The worst that will happen is you ll sell the car and get your money back...

These old basic cars are easy to maintain and there are so many aftermarket companies with supporting parts...it's a no brained...

Now if you were talking about a fifty year old jaguar XKE ? That one would be more of a concern...but a corvette? ...it's basic USA reliable or resolved mechanically...for another decade of daily service....

That's why I love corvettes...they handle whatever we throw at them and smile while European car owners sweat reliability...

JerriVette 04-30-2017 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1594640892)
and good chances are the cars at the bottom of the price scale need more mechanical work then the op knows how to do.

Actually the 28 to 40 grand asking price cars on brzo look dam good...obviously have a tech look over the car if your concerned....but these cars are basic to keep running...

the ads I enjoyed drooling over looked dam good....I'd be proud to own any of them....even the one starting at the weird price of 27893....although solid lifter four speed manual might not be the model the Op might want...

I'd rather get a 350 and 3 or 4 speed automatic dropped in...

The prices plunge on cars with those non correct number changes and they make great daily drivers...

That's what I would hunt for.....easy in....and less historical perfection required to enjoy...

I respect those that love perfection in correct build etc...but for a daily driver I wouldn't care....I'd be buying it to rack up the miles....which I would imagine can lower values...

So why start with perfection in engine and transmission correctness...

Just my two cents..and man I enjoyed this thread as well as searching through all the beautiful 444 C2 corvettes for sale in Craigslist throughout the country...

I didn't even look on this forum or on eBay...but the c2 s are styling masterpieces....

frednino 05-01-2017 12:31 AM

OP's Final Decision

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I am gratified at the response to my newbie request for advice. I have read every post and taken to heart every comment, encouraging or discouraging. FWIW, this is what I’ve decided to do:

1. I’m getting a 1965 SB (rebuilt 327) C2 Convertible, Powerglide, from a forum member (856666, or Phil R); it’s been restored and well-maintained, has power steering and brakes, and looks stunning (Red/red).
2. I will initially plan to drive it on weekends, while I get acquainted with the car and all its parts and systems (I’ll use weekdays after work to scour the forum for info). In addition to the expertise on the forum, I’ll get help from my brother, who lives nearby and is mechanically inclined (he’s an engineer at Boeing and was apparently rebuilding carburetors way way back, when I was off to college). I won’t drive it in the rain (not usually an issue in soCal).
3. I’ll get the classic auto insurance – thanks to whoever suggested Adam Boca for a quote, to start off with.
4. At some point, I will try to transition to using the car as a daily driver. It’ll be when I feel I’ve learned enough about the car’s quirks and gained some experience and skill with maintenance. I don’t aspire to be a master mechanic, just to attain an acceptable level of competence. At some point I hope, I’ll no longer be the “FNG” (F*@^ing New Guy – a term common among Vietnam vets – of which I am NOT one, but my father was), but able to do a fair amount of wrenching, without my brother’s help. I’m not overly concerned about the car being unsafe, surrounding drivers being unsafe, me feeling too uncomfortable or reeking of gasoline, me losing the “special-ness” of the car [sidebar: this is an interesting issue – if you juxtapose the mundane (a boring, slow and go, daily commute) with the sublime (C2 Corvette), what happens? Is the sublime somehow diminished, or is the mundane perhaps enhanced? I hope for me it’s the latter, and I’ll be doing a “semi-scientific” field test to find out], or having the hassle of putting on a car cover. I recently saw a quote that I can relate to: “a ship in port is safe…. but that’s not what ships are made for.” To me, a Corvette, whether brand-new, or 50+ years old, is made to be driven. To be sure, I think the styling is so stunning that the C2 Corvette deserves to be in a museum, too, but I don’t want to be a curator for my Vette. I want to use it. So if I’m stranded some hot afternoon because of fuel percolation because I used a high ethanol gasoline, it’s no big deal to me, it’s just a lesson learned and part of a beautiful journey. I hope to regard members of this forum as “companions on the journey….”
5. Once I’m using the car as a daily driver (have no idea if that will be in 3 months, 6 months, a year), I’ll switch to regular auto insurance. I recall reading that someone got a good quote from State Farm, but maybe my current insurance will offer a competitive rate. I’ll keep my backup vehicle (old Toyota Sequoia – I think that thing’ll last forever) just in case, and probably will routinely use it when it’s raining, when it’s extremely hot or congested in the freeways for a long trip, like Las Vegas, and, of course, when I have to go to Costco!
6. Once again, thanks to all who posted replies. Wish me Luck!

TCracingCA 05-01-2017 12:53 AM

Don't forget towing coverage, flat bed!

I think you will be OK!

1- I have never understood anyone who putts along in the slow lanes!
2- I have to have some interesting turns or such in my routine path!
3- Lunch with all of the cute female co-worker who want to ride in it is fun!
4- You will develop politically correct and robotic responses to dumb public questions everywhere you stop!
5- I hope you have Corvette friendly hair!
Etc etc etc

:thumbs::thumbs::cheers:

Ps I bet you are commuting from either Mission Viejo/Lake Forest to Irvine! I will double honk if I pass you! Nice car!

Revfan 05-01-2017 02:13 AM

Welcome to the Brotherhood... Class of 2017!

Congratulations on the beginning of your Journey! That looks to be a great car (assuming is was checked out for you!) and I'm sure it will far exceed your expectations when its finally in your garage.

Take time to sort out the little stuff (that is inevitable on almost every car).

If you haven't already... Here is what I'd do to prepare for the arrival.
( I know some of you might groan at my suggestions... but its MY $0.02 Ok? And considering post #31 of this thread, I'd say I'm doing pretty good! :) )

1) Join the NCRS
YOU DON"T have to have your car judged, or play any of their "perceived" games, but despite what anyone says, it is one of the largest and oldest Corvette organizations in the country. Many folks here are members (I'm 26099), and they generate tons of info about these cars. Regardless, you want to connect with the Corvette Brotherhood, and chances are there is a chapter in your area.
**EDIT** Their Magazine "The Corvette Restorer" and the Driveline, a Classifieds, are worth the admission alone.

2) Build your Corvette Library
Most of these you can obtain from any source you like... but a few may be NCRS specific. I always find it interesting that some folks will spend $50-100K on a car but not spend $200 on books that are going to help them with that car. You'll need this stuff eventually, so might as well get it now.

A) 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Shop Manual and the 1965 Supplement
This book will cover routine maintenance procedures, minor mechanical repair and adjustments, electrical information and includes info on the Corvette body. This manual was supplied to the dealer for servicing your Corvette. I'd try to find an original via the classifieds on this site or ebay. You probably need the 63 book AND the 65 Supplement.

B) The 1965 Assembly Instruction Manual (or AIM)
This is a valuable book that shows how the Factory put the car together. It includes part numbers and diagrams. Its invaluable. A lot of times, folks at the forum ask questions and the first response will be, "Did you check the AIM".

C) NCRS 1965 Judging Manual
This might be controversial, especially depending on what side of the NCRS fence you fall on, but regardless, it will give you a lot of detail about how these cars came from the factory... and how they might have looked when they rolled off the assembly line. What kind of finish was on which part, what were the markings... tons of info. Regardless of whether you ever have your car "judged", it is a valuable tool in your library.

D) Complete Corvette Restoration & Technical guide V2 1963 THROUGH 1967 by Noland Adams
You might have to beg for a copy in the Classified section here... as I believe its out of print but this is another excellent resource about these cars. Its not a "how to" book on restoration, but more of a "survey" of cars to show what they were like when delivered from the factory. Its a hefty size... like a coffee table book. I bought mine about 20 years before I got my car, and read and re-read it about 1000 times.

E) Wiring Diagram for your year
I personally like a Color Chart that actually Shows the Connectors, the Shop manual has a diagram, but it was difficult for me to figure out. A Color Chart is much simpler. When you need it, you don't want to have to wait for delivery. Get it now

3) Find a local club in your area.
Most folks have local clubs of Corvette enthusiast. Yes, they may be filled with C5-C7s but to me, it doesn't matter as they are Corvette guys. Sometimes, when life throws us curve balls, we just might need to take a break and be around people that share a common interest so we can forget, if just for a little while, the craziness of life. Remember, you have to "Be a good brother, in order to have a good brother".
**EDIT** Go RIGHT NOW and fill out your profile for this forum. Folks do check (I am one!). You just may have a corvette guy within walking distance of you... but we'd never know it. You never know when you will need help, or when YOU might be able to help somebody else. You might have a Corvette Neighbor who is doing a body pull. You help him for an after noon and you get to eat his food, drink his beer, and go home with a new skill set and LIFETIME memories! Win/Win

5) Be an active member of this Corvette Forum
When your turn signal doesn't work and you are ready to pull your hair out because you just put fresh bulbs in... THIS FORUM is probably going to be the first place you come running to. I have made a lot of "Virtual" buddies here at the forum. They helped me find my car, restore it, and in some cases, provided a virtual shoulder for me to cry on.
Yes, there are some grumpy folks, and nay say-ers etc etc, but again, they are brothers who share a common interests and I KNOW for a fact that there are plenty of em who don't know you from Adam, but would put down their barbecue tongs and come to your aid if you broke down near them. No kidding... this has happened here in the past.

So please, stick around.
Add your $.02.
Ask your silly questions
Congratulate other new owners
Search the parts classifieds
Post pictures of family members admiring your car...
Tell us your stories of life in your new Journey.

You are a brother... we want to hear it.

frednino 05-01-2017 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by TCracingCA (Post 1594643162)
Don't forget towing coverage, flat bed!

I think you will be OK!

1- I have never understood anyone who putts along in the slow lanes!
2- I have to have some interesting turns or such in my routine path!
3- Lunch with all of the cute female co-worker who want to ride in it is fun!
4- You will develop politically correct and robotic responses to dumb public questions everywhere you stop!
5- I hope you have Corvette friendly hair!
Etc etc etc

:thumbs::thumbs::cheers:

Ps I bet you are commuting from either Mission Viejo/Lake Forest to Irvine! I will double honk if I pass you! Nice car!

I actually commute from Irvine to Garden Grove, pretty much a straight shot up the 5. And my hair is pretty much a buzz cut using clippers with no attachments all the way around, so I guess it's Corvette friendly. Looking forward to hearing your double honk! -Fred

frednino 05-01-2017 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Revfan (Post 1594643300)
Welcome to the Brotherhood... Class of 2017!

Congratulations on the beginning of your Journey! That looks to be a great car (assuming is was checked out for you!) and I'm sure it will far exceed your expectations when its finally in your garage.

Take time to sort out the little stuff (that is inevitable on almost every car).

If you haven't already... Here is what I'd do to prepare for the arrival.
( I know some of you might groan at my suggestions... but its MY $0.02 Ok? And considering post #31 of this thread, I'd say I'm doing pretty good! :) )

1) Join the NCRS
YOU DON"T have to have your car judged, or play any of their "perceived" games, but despite what anyone says, it is one of the largest and oldest Corvette organizations in the country. Many folks here are members (I'm 26099), and they generate tons of info about these cars. Regardless, you want to connect with the Corvette Brotherhood, and chances are there is a chapter in your area.
**EDIT** Their Magazine "The Corvette Restorer" and the Driveline, a Classifieds, are worth the admission alone.

2) Build your Corvette Library
Most of these you can obtain from any source you like... but a few may be NCRS specific. I always find it interesting that some folks will spend $50-100K on a car but not spend $200 on books that are going to help them with that car. You'll need this stuff eventually, so might as well get it now.

A) 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Shop Manual and the 1965 Supplement
This book will cover routine maintenance procedures, minor mechanical repair and adjustments, electrical information and includes info on the Corvette body. This manual was supplied to the dealer for servicing your Corvette. I'd try to find an original via the classifieds on this site or ebay. You probably need the 63 book AND the 65 Supplement.

B) The 1965 Assembly Instruction Manual (or AIM)
This is a valuable book that shows how the Factory put the car together. It includes part numbers and diagrams. Its invaluable. A lot of times, folks at the forum ask questions and the first response will be, "Did you check the AIM".

C) NCRS 1965 Judging Manual
This might be controversial, especially depending on what side of the NCRS fence you fall on, but regardless, it will give you a lot of detail about how these cars came from the factory... and how they might have looked when they rolled off the assembly line. What kind of finish was on which part, what were the markings... tons of info. Regardless of whether you ever have your car "judged", it is a valuable tool in your library.

D) Complete Corvette Restoration & Technical guide V2 1963 THROUGH 1967 by Noland Adams
You might have to beg for a copy in the Classified section here... as I believe its out of print but this is another excellent resource about these cars. Its not a "how to" book on restoration, but more of a "survey" of cars to show what they were like when delivered from the factory. Its a hefty size... like a coffee table book. I bought mine about 20 years before I got my car, and read and re-read it about 1000 times.

E) Wiring Diagram for your year
I personally like a Color Chart that actually Shows the Connectors, the Shop manual has a diagram, but it was difficult for me to figure out. A Color Chart is much simpler. When you need it, you don't want to have to wait for delivery. Get it now

3) Find a local club in your area.
Most folks have local clubs of Corvette enthusiast. Yes, they may be filled with C5-C7s but to me, it doesn't matter as they are Corvette guys. Sometimes, when life throws us curve balls, we just might need to take a break and be around people that share a common interest so we can forget, if just for a little while, the craziness of life. Remember, you have to "Be a good brother, in order to have a good brother".
**EDIT** Go RIGHT NOW and fill out your profile for this forum. Folks do check (I am one!). You just may have a corvette guy within walking distance of you... but we'd never know it. You never know when you will need help, or when YOU might be able to help somebody else. You might have a Corvette Neighbor who is doing a body pull. You help him for an after noon and you get to eat his food, drink his beer, and go home with a new skill set and LIFETIME memories! Win/Win

5) Be an active member of this Corvette Forum
When your turn signal doesn't work and you are ready to pull your hair out because you just put fresh bulbs in... THIS FORUM is probably going to be the first place you come running to. I have made a lot of "Virtual" buddies here at the forum. They helped me find my car, restore it, and in some cases, provided a virtual shoulder for me to cry on.
Yes, there are some grumpy folks, and nay say-ers etc etc, but again, they are brothers who share a common interests and I KNOW for a fact that there are plenty of em who don't know you from Adam, but would put down their barbecue tongs and come to your aid if you broke down near them. No kidding... this has happened here in the past.

So please, stick around.
Add your $.02.
Ask your silly questions
Congratulate other new owners
Search the parts classifieds
Post pictures of family members admiring your car...
Tell us your stories of life in your new Journey.

You are a brother... we want to hear it.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm starting with the easiest - filling out my profile on the forum. -Fred

Frankie the Fink 05-01-2017 06:14 AM

Just do your homework and make your own decisions...
Some advice here is the thoughts of people who don't mind spending YOUR money...

And if you think the solution to a classic Corvette being stolen is just take the insurance check and buy another one then you're in the wrong hobby.

If you don't develop an unbridled affinity for the individual classic cars you drive why have them ??? Once you've spent hours in the garage sweating over some mechanical/electrical issue and lovingly waxed the paint and polished the chrome - for years perhaps, you won't be so blase about some thief making off with it - trust me.

No matter what - good luck with it...

number3 05-01-2017 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by frednino (Post 1594643092)
Well, I am gratified at the response to my newbie request for advice. I have read every post and taken to heart every comment, encouraging or discouraging. FWIW, this is what I’ve decided to do:

1. I’m getting a 1965 SB (rebuilt 327) C2 Convertible, Powerglide, from a forum member (856666, or Phil R); it’s been restored and well-maintained, has power steering and brakes, and looks stunning (Red/red).
2. I will initially plan to drive it on weekends, while I get acquainted with the car and all its parts and systems (I’ll use weekdays after work to scour the forum for info). In addition to the expertise on the forum, I’ll get help from my brother, who lives nearby and is mechanically inclined (he’s an engineer at Boeing and was apparently rebuilding carburetors way way back, when I was off to college). I won’t drive it in the rain (not usually an issue in soCal).
3. I’ll get the classic auto insurance – thanks to whoever suggested Adam Boca for a quote, to start off with.
4. At some point, I will try to transition to using the car as a daily driver. It’ll be when I feel I’ve learned enough about the car’s quirks and gained some experience and skill with maintenance. I don’t aspire to be a master mechanic, just to attain an acceptable level of competence. At some point I hope, I’ll no longer be the “FNG” (F*@^ing New Guy – a term common among Vietnam vets – of which I am NOT one, but my father was), but able to do a fair amount of wrenching, without my brother’s help. I’m not overly concerned about the car being unsafe, surrounding drivers being unsafe, me feeling too uncomfortable or reeking of gasoline, me losing the “special-ness” of the car [sidebar: this is an interesting issue – if you juxtapose the mundane (a boring, slow and go, daily commute) with the sublime (C2 Corvette), what happens? Is the sublime somehow diminished, or is the mundane perhaps enhanced? I hope for me it’s the latter, and I’ll be doing a “semi-scientific” field test to find out], or having the hassle of putting on a car cover. I recently saw a quote that I can relate to: “a ship in port is safe…. but that’s not what ships are made for.” To me, a Corvette, whether brand-new, or 50+ years old, is made to be driven. To be sure, I think the styling is so stunning that the C2 Corvette deserves to be in a museum, too, but I don’t want to be a curator for my Vette. I want to use it. So if I’m stranded some hot afternoon because of fuel percolation because I used a high ethanol gasoline, it’s no big deal to me, it’s just a lesson learned and part of a beautiful journey. I hope to regard members of this forum as “companions on the journey….”
5. Once I’m using the car as a daily driver (have no idea if that will be in 3 months, 6 months, a year), I’ll switch to regular auto insurance. I recall reading that someone got a good quote from State Farm, but maybe my current insurance will offer a competitive rate. I’ll keep my backup vehicle (old Toyota Sequoia – I think that thing’ll last forever) just in case, and probably will routinely use it when it’s raining, when it’s extremely hot or congested in the freeways for a long trip, like Las Vegas, and, of course, when I have to go to Costco!
6. Once again, thanks to all who posted replies. Wish me Luck!

Great choice on the vette ! and great attitude towards driving it. I give ya a couple weeks and you'll be using it as an everyday , it wont take you long for sure. Its good that you have someone to teach you a little about wrenchen . Good luck and enjoy !