CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] Newbie seeking advice on C2 as daily driver (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3978786-newbie-seeking-advice-on-c2-as-daily-driver.html)

Bill Pilon 05-01-2017 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1594637017)
I guess some of us old f@rts are a bit tougher than the younger crowd....I tooled around in m '61 with no power anything, no A/C and '40s steering/suspension technology. To tell the truth I didn't even think about it that much except for the heat.

Driving a drop top, non A/C car in an Orlando summer is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop..

:iagree:

Frankie, I really believe that, I'm 74 years old and drive the 60 Vette about every day it doesn't rain, I don't mind driving it in the rain, but it has few leaks.

In my 58 years of driving I have never been without a drop top.

Hope to be driving it back up to NY this summer.

Frank, the clones are still running great and the originals are still on the shelf, this summer will be their third time to NY and back.

Bill

jrs 427 05-01-2017 12:45 PM

Can't picture myself on a long distance trip with a C 1 or 2. Put on a two thousand mile journey in a 73 which was comfortable and a bit more room. Being 6'4" its hard to fold ones self in a small space. Looking forward to finishing the 63 Belair post, beach seat, four speed 383 car. Big car feel, huge trunk, and room for the back seat driver, the dog !

bcwaller 05-01-2017 03:52 PM

Good luck and enjoy it. I bought my first Corvette (1967) in 1986 to be my daily driver and drove it regularly for a few years. I did keep my 1969 Dart as a backup/ski trip car. I sold that Corvette, and bought my current 1966 in 1992 to be a daily/fun car. I would drive it to work, on road trips (LA to Laughlin, San Francisco, Sedona, Phoenix, etc.), and took it to the track (LACR Palmdale for drags, and Willow Springs & Buttonwillow for road race) for fun.

As the Dart started falling apart, I ended up getting a 1967 Chevelle (was an SS396 but with a NOM small block) as my daily driver/ski trip car in 1993. I've had the Chevelle at Willow Springs as well as ski trips to Mammoth, Tahoe, Salt Lake City, Taos, and more.

Since 1993 these have been my only cars. When the Chevelle got it's bodywork and paint done the first time, I drove the Corvette daily (close to a year) as it was my only other car. I had to do this again a few years ago when the Chevelle was hit and was in the body shop for 8 months.

I did have good parking at work (lots or structures) all this time, but I've also had to leave it in motel/hotel parking lots while on trips. It was insured, and it's a car that was designed for daily driving. I have always had standard car insurance (State Farm and Farmers and have to use it for accidents twice. Both times a hassle, but it did get worked out.

I know you've bought already, but my advice would have been a restomod with a modern engine and automatic transmission. This will be a much easier and theoretically more reliable daily driver for you. See what you end up doing with your new car and you may love it, or want to sell and try something different. Maybe we can meet up at some point too since you are not too far away.

No matter what you do, drive it and enjoy.

frednino 05-01-2017 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by bcwaller (Post 1594646995)
Good luck and enjoy it. I bought my first Corvette (1967) in 1986 to be my daily driver and drove it regularly for a few years. I did keep my 1969 Dart as a backup/ski trip car. I sold that Corvette, and bought my current 1966 in 1992 to be a daily/fun car. I would drive it to work, on road trips (LA to Laughlin, San Francisco, Sedona, Phoenix, etc.), and took it to the track (LACR Palmdale for drags, and Willow Springs & Buttonwillow for road race) for fun.

As the Dart started falling apart, I ended up getting a 1967 Chevelle (was an SS396 but with a NOM small block) as my daily driver/ski trip car in 1993. I've had the Chevelle at Willow Springs as well as ski trips to Mammoth, Tahoe, Salt Lake City, Taos, and more.

Since 1993 these have been my only cars. When the Chevelle got it's bodywork and paint done the first time, I drove the Corvette daily (close to a year) as it was my only other car. I had to do this again a few years ago when the Chevelle was hit and was in the body shop for 8 months.

I did have good parking at work (lots or structures) all this time, but I've also had to leave it in motel/hotel parking lots while on trips. It was insured, and it's a car that was designed for daily driving. I have always had standard car insurance (State Farm and Farmers and have to use it for accidents twice. Both times a hassle, but it did get worked out.

I know you've bought already, but my advice would have been a restomod with a modern engine and automatic transmission. This will be a much easier and theoretically more reliable daily driver for you. See what you end up doing with your new car and you may love it, or want to sell and try something different. Maybe we can meet up at some point too since you are not too far away.

No matter what you do, drive it and enjoy.

Would love to meet up at some point; are there any Corvette clubs in the South Bay area? I used to live in Carson and San Pedro, and my mother used to live in Palos Verdes, so I am (or was) familiar with the south bay area (funny, but our family also had a Dodge Dart in the late 60's/early 70's). -Fred

eblood 05-02-2017 04:29 AM

Nice thread ! very interesting ... and congrats for the cas and the to use it ;)

ajrothm 05-07-2017 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by frednino (Post 1594643092)
Well, I am gratified at the response to my newbie request for advice. I have read every post and taken to heart every comment, encouraging or discouraging. FWIW, this is what I’ve decided to do:

1. I’m getting a 1965 SB (rebuilt 327) C2 Convertible, Powerglide, from a forum member (856666, or Phil R); it’s been restored and well-maintained, has power steering and brakes, and looks stunning (Red/red).
2. I will initially plan to drive it on weekends, while I get acquainted with the car and all its parts and systems (I’ll use weekdays after work to scour the forum for info). In addition to the expertise on the forum, I’ll get help from my brother, who lives nearby and is mechanically inclined (he’s an engineer at Boeing and was apparently rebuilding carburetors way way back, when I was off to college). I won’t drive it in the rain (not usually an issue in soCal).
3. I’ll get the classic auto insurance – thanks to whoever suggested Adam Boca for a quote, to start off with.
4. At some point, I will try to transition to using the car as a daily driver. It’ll be when I feel I’ve learned enough about the car’s quirks and gained some experience and skill with maintenance. I don’t aspire to be a master mechanic, just to attain an acceptable level of competence. At some point I hope, I’ll no longer be the “FNG” (F*@^ing New Guy – a term common among Vietnam vets – of which I am NOT one, but my father was), but able to do a fair amount of wrenching, without my brother’s help. I’m not overly concerned about the car being unsafe, surrounding drivers being unsafe, me feeling too uncomfortable or reeking of gasoline, me losing the “special-ness” of the car [sidebar: this is an interesting issue – if you juxtapose the mundane (a boring, slow and go, daily commute) with the sublime (C2 Corvette), what happens? Is the sublime somehow diminished, or is the mundane perhaps enhanced? I hope for me it’s the latter, and I’ll be doing a “semi-scientific” field test to find out], or having the hassle of putting on a car cover. I recently saw a quote that I can relate to: “a ship in port is safe…. but that’s not what ships are made for.” To me, a Corvette, whether brand-new, or 50+ years old, is made to be driven. To be sure, I think the styling is so stunning that the C2 Corvette deserves to be in a museum, too, but I don’t want to be a curator for my Vette. I want to use it. So if I’m stranded some hot afternoon because of fuel percolation because I used a high ethanol gasoline, it’s no big deal to me, it’s just a lesson learned and part of a beautiful journey. I hope to regard members of this forum as “companions on the journey….”
5. Once I’m using the car as a daily driver (have no idea if that will be in 3 months, 6 months, a year), I’ll switch to regular auto insurance. I recall reading that someone got a good quote from State Farm, but maybe my current insurance will offer a competitive rate. I’ll keep my backup vehicle (old Toyota Sequoia – I think that thing’ll last forever) just in case, and probably will routinely use it when it’s raining, when it’s extremely hot or congested in the freeways for a long trip, like Las Vegas, and, of course, when I have to go to Costco!
6. Once again, thanks to all who posted replies. Wish me Luck!

Nice choice and beautiful car! I think that will make a GREAT semi-daily driver, nice options for a daily (PS, PB, Auto)... I think the biggest thing you will deal with is leaks. However since it doesnt rain much in your neck of the woods, you'll be ok... You could always add Vintage Air AC on it down the road if you developed the need for AC....

That car would be a hell of a lot of fun to drive daily.:cheers:

JerriVette 05-08-2017 03:43 AM

Congrats on a beautiful c2.....and I'm a big fan of those who use their corvettes as their daily drivers....

Made to be driven.

bcwaller 05-09-2017 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by frednino (Post 1594649127)
Would love to meet up at some point; are there any Corvette clubs in the South Bay area? I used to live in Carson and San Pedro, and my mother used to live in Palos Verdes, so I am (or was) familiar with the south bay area (funny, but our family also had a Dodge Dart in the late 60's/early 70's). -Fred

The local club here is The Vette Set (http://thevetteset.com/) and they are pretty active. I'm not a member, but I used them to find the paint and body shop for my cars years ago.

Lola T70 03-02-2018 08:11 AM

Revfan

Exellent advice, this is exactly the path I followed when I bought by 65 roadster.