CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Help me rationalize through my C5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3987316-help-me-rationalize-through-my-c5.html)

ICULUKN-C5 05-14-2017 12:07 AM

Help me rationalize through my C5

Here goes... I have been in the Corvette hobby for about 15 years, and have owned my current car since 2004. My car is a 2001 widebody TTI X kit, C5 coupe... The car make 925 to the ground and is a solid well sorted car... I have several other cars in the garage, including my Ferrari F430.

Now ..here is my issue...
I recently turned in my convertible G37 (company car), and I'm missing having a convertible. I also have loved the 1998 Pace car since it came out, but its severely underpowered, so I was looking at getting a Gallardo convertible.. I was thinking I have 3 options....

1. Sell my TT corvette coupe (maybe get 25k) and purchase a Lamborghini Gallardo convertible. Total cost is 105k-25k=80k out of pocket

2. Keep my C5 TT and do a convertible conversion. I think I can get this done for about 5k all in.

3. Purchase a 1998 pace car (20k), trade the drivetrain (motor, trans, etc) from my TT car and put it in the pacecar.. Then sell my 2001 as a stocker...

I am out of garage space or I would keep the TT C5 and just buy another car.
I have the money to do any of the 3 options... What would you do?

Vetteman Jack 05-14-2017 01:06 AM

If you can get it done for $5K, option 2 sounds very appealing. Least cost, and you still have a well sorted out car per your description.

CorvetteFrankie 05-14-2017 01:48 AM

Give me the 430. I'll give you my 2000 base c5? :)

ICULUKN-C5 05-14-2017 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by CorvetteFrankie (Post 1594734020)
Give me the 430. I'll give you my 2000 base c5? :)

I'm not looking to trade... besides you wouldn't like the maintenance bill that goes along with an 12 year old italian car... Last year I spent about 5k sorting out the car to put it back to original running condition, and plan on spending another 5k this year for all of the 'other things'... If you thought the corvette tax was rough you haven't seen anything yet... LOL

Shakeydeal 05-14-2017 06:41 AM

Decisions, decisions........

We should all have to make such choices......:yesnod:

Lambo all the way.

Shakey

Time for a C-5 05-14-2017 07:17 AM

Two of the three options involve a corvette and you already have an Italian stallion in the stable (and you're asking on the Corvette Forum) so no Lambo. Since you're already so deep with the 01 I say cut it open.

norcalace 05-14-2017 07:28 AM

I'd go on the Ferrari forum and brag to them about my Corvette and then ask that group of complete strangers what I should do.

alxltd1 05-14-2017 08:27 AM

So first placing rational thought and C5 in the same sentence is an oxymoron. None of us owning a C5 and a member of this forum, which is more cult than forum, is capable of rational thought when it comes to the C5. Like they say, opinions are like azzholes, everyone has one, but probably more appropriately it should be, every azzhole has an opinion.

Having said that, if it is a convertible you want, then get the 98 pace car. Then either swap the drive train from TT coupe, or sell the TT as is and use the proceeds to upgrade the 98.

If you can afford any of the options, I would think you would want to upgrade the 98 with fresh components and with the lessons learned from the TT.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and choose what you want and don’t look back, life is much to short for regrets. :cheers:

Black 02 05-14-2017 10:14 AM

If I was in your situation, I'd go for the Gallardo and then send it to underground racing. You'll have the same power you have now in a more exciting platform. Or for the same money, just buy a huracán.

Have you considered a garage lift? If your ceiling is high enough, it would allow you to double stack them and effectively create an extra parking space. Might be a way to keep everything.

JR-01 05-14-2017 10:16 AM

I wish I had your problems.

ICULUKN-C5 05-14-2017 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Black 02 (Post 1594735096)
If I was in your situation, I'd go for the Gallardo and then send it to underground racing. You'll have the same power you have now in a more exciting platform. Or for the same money, just buy a huracán.

Have you considered a garage lift? If your ceiling is high enough, it would allow you to double stack them and effectively create an extra parking space. Might be a way to keep everything.

I dont have underground racing money... LOL.. I have looked at getting a lift... It will fit but barely... My ceiling is only 9.5'...

ICULUKN-C5 05-14-2017 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JR-01 (Post 1594735107)
I wish I had your problems.

I understand that these are really 1st world problems...
But I am sure that if all of you didn't have children you would be in the same position. Saving for cars is not hard when you have dual income.

JR-01 05-14-2017 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5 (Post 1594735407)
I understand that these are really 1st world problems...
But I am sure that if all of you didn't have children you would be in the same position. Saving for cars is not hard when you have dual income.

I don't have kids, but for the first 50 years of my life I was a confirmed bachelor and only had one income. It did allow me to retire at 56 because I did not buy all the toys. Just a few.

Forcedvert 05-14-2017 11:45 AM

Cut the top off, while your at it make yourself
a FRC top also so you can also have another option.:thumbs:https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b278af9ec5.jpg

Mike98SilVert 05-14-2017 11:54 AM

Easy, go with option 2 and then purchase a hardtop for your Convertible so you can have the FRC look as well so I agree with Forcedvert. There are hardtops out there and someone may even still sell them new.

Mike98SilVert 05-14-2017 11:58 AM

If you like the Pacecar color and look why go through dismantling a Pace Car and your car and switching drivetrains when it is so much easier to re-paint your car and add the decals. You will need to repaint at least part of it anyway.

knewblewkorvette 05-14-2017 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5 (Post 1594733786)
Here goes... I have been in the Corvette hobby for about 15 years, and have owned my current car since 2004. My car is a 2001 widebody TTI X kit, C5 coupe... The car make 925 to the ground and is a solid well sorted car...

1. Sell my TT corvette coupe (maybe get 25k) and purchase a Lamborghini Gallardo convertible. Total cost is 105k-25k=80k out of pocket

935 RWHP widebody? Sell me the car (for really cheap of course) and then get the Lambo. Also, when I come to pick up my new CHEAP C5, let me test drive your other cars :lol:
On the serious side, I'd love to see pictures of your C5 :yesnod:

ICULUKN-C5 05-14-2017 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette (Post 1594735790)
935 RWHP widebody? Sell me the car (for really cheap of course) and then get the Lambo. Also, when I come to pick up my new CHEAP C5, let me test drive your other cars :lol:
On the serious side, I'd love to see pictures of your C5 :yesnod:

What is cheap to you... Its for sale for 30k.
It was just repainted ... the black paint is flawless.

Scylla 05-14-2017 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5 (Post 1594733786)
Here goes... I have been in the Corvette hobby for about 15 years, and have owned my current car since 2004. My car is a 2001 widebody TTI X kit, C5 coupe... The car make 925 to the ground and is a solid well sorted car... I have several other cars in the garage, including my Ferrari F430.

Now ..here is my issue...
I recently turned in my convertible G37 (company car), and I'm missing having a convertible. I also have loved the 1998 Pace car since it came out, but its severely underpowered, so I was looking at getting a Gallardo convertible.. I was thinking I have 3 options....

2. Keep my C5 TT and do a convertible conversion. I think I can get this done for about 5k all in.

3. Purchase a 1998 pace car (20k), trade the drivetrain (motor, trans, etc) from my TT car and put it in the pacecar.. Then sell my 2001 as a stocker...

I am out of garage space or I would keep the TT C5 and just buy another car.

My question is simple: What are your intentions? The Lambo will get you a lot more attention than the C5, It will also cost a fortune to maintain. The Gallardo is also not the Huracan, so while it would attract a lot of attention, it is definitely not the latest and greatest.

Ultimately it depends what you want out of the car, the maintenance costs from tracking a Lamborghini would be absurd and honestly after a C5 with your stats it will feel downright slow. Heavier car, way less power than you're used to etc... :flag:

ICULUKN-C5 05-14-2017 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scylla (Post 1594736416)
My question is simple: What are your intentions? The Lambo will get you a lot more attention than the C5, It will also cost a fortune to maintain. The Gallardo is also not the Huracan, so while it would attract a lot of attention, it is definitely not the latest and greatest.

Ultimately it depends what you want out of the car, the maintenance costs from tracking a Lamborghini would be absurd and honestly after a C5 with your stats it will feel downright slow. Heavier car, way less power than you're used to etc... :flag:

I agree that the performance is not there in a stock gallardo.. This is more about having a convertible to be honest... The 900+ HP is nice.. but also comes with a cost...The pace car at 345hp isnt going to cut it... That is why I suggested swapping the drive train.