CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Washing the car (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3987459-washing-the-car.html)

black2007c6 05-14-2017 12:52 PM

Washing the car

Anyone else ever feel like they almost don't want to wash the car because they're afraid of scratches and imperfections?

i use the 2 bucket method. I also use the foam blaster for minimized touching. I don't dry with a microfiber towel I usually use a rubber squeegee made for quick drying. But I always see scratches here and there, albeit light.

makes me so frustrated! especially on a black car.

edit: by squeegee I mean like this:

OldCorvetteFan 05-14-2017 01:07 PM

Since I'm not the world's best detailer, I don't get all hung up over minor scratches caused by washing.

I also use a 2 bucket method, with dedicated wash equipment for the Corvette, but I use a MetroVac to blow most of the water off, then follow up with spot drying with a waffle weave microfibre drying towel.

Steven

door2416 05-14-2017 01:15 PM

Your problem is the color black. My last vette was black and I went through the exact frustration as you. I sold it with only 5900 miles because I couldn't take it. It always looked dirty and scratched no matter what I tried. I finally fixed the problem by buying a silver GS. No more scratches and always looks clean.

black2007c6 05-14-2017 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by door2416 (Post 1594736076)
Your problem is the color black. My last vette was black and I went through the exact frustration as you. I sold it with only 5900 miles because I couldn't take it. It always looked dirty and scratched no matter what I tried. I finally fixed the problem by buying a silver GS. No more scratches and always looks clean.

i hear you. I had a silver mustang (maybe I shouldn't admit that around here) that was always clean and looking good. To add to it, I have a black Cadillac as well. Double trouble.

gordosoar 05-14-2017 01:34 PM

Have a pro do a paint correction followed by a Crystal Serum coating and never have to worry about scratchs again.

ben z 05-14-2017 01:45 PM

I always feel like I don't want to wash my cars, because it's a pain and it's always hot out. I use the leave-it-out-in-a-torrential-rainstorm method. No scratches.

enventr 05-14-2017 01:58 PM

I have always had black cars and love them. I had my car professionally detailed with pain correction over a year ago. The detailer sometimes details with Mike Phillips (Autogeek). He told me to use (Blackfire) waterless wash as a wash and detail spray. My Vette only gets dusty in the garage. It is not driven in the rain. The waterless wash has more lubricity than water. You fold a microfiber cloth into quarters and use a quarter at a time for each panel. Do not use circular strokes as I only use horizontal on the side panels. No swirls. I do this once a week and it takes 20 minutes for the entire car. Once every month or 2 , I use Blackfire crystal seal. This takes 15 minutes. No hard rubbing and has an amazing shine.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c5ab4130bd.jpg

Boomer111 05-14-2017 06:49 PM

I can not remember the last time I washed the C6, maybe two summers back or three after a long 1200 road trip. Otherwise just a wipe down with Sonus detailer and maybe a follow up with the Glanz. Klasse sealant works great.

airmed2 05-14-2017 06:54 PM

Have any of you that get hung up over such things ever experienced any real adversity, hardship, or sorrow in your life? While I like my stuff to stay nice, I'm sure glad my priorities have been straightened out for me due to bigger occasions presenting themselves that really actually matter.

Dr Bee 05-14-2017 06:57 PM

Reason #47 not to own a black car (for me). Nothing better than a car that looks dirty 6 hours after you hand wash it..... :hide:

OldCorvetteFan 05-14-2017 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by airmed2 (Post 1594737858)
Have any of you that get hung up over such things ever experienced any real adversity, hardship, or sorrow in your life? While I like my stuff to stay nice, I'm sure glad my priorities have been straightened out for me due to bigger occasions presenting themselves that really actually matter.

Actually, yes, I have. I had a double bypass almost a year ago, I'm less than two years from retirement, and so I use things like 'worrying' about the care and maintenance of my Corvette as a diversion.

This has nothing to do with priorities - I put my boots on every morning, go do my job to the best of my ability, take care of my personal and financial obligations, and when adversity strikes, I handle it the best way I know how.

If this doesn't matter to you, then why on earth are you in here trying to piss in our cornflakes? Do you give this speech to people talking about football games?

:willy:

Steven

airmed2 05-14-2017 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by black2007c6 (Post 1594735971)
Anyone else ever feel like they almost don't want to wash the car because they're afraid of scratches and imperfections?

This is why I commented. He asked the question, and I answered how I felt inclined to. I'm not saying it's fine to just not care about anything else if you've had bigger things happen in life, but I've read all too often on here about minutiae like this. Scratches, dirt, water, spots, etc., etc., etc... Like so many others have eluded; Just drive it!

dcarr 05-14-2017 09:31 PM

Car washing

Originally Posted by enventr (Post 1594736303)
I have always had black cars and love them. I had my car professionally detailed with pain correction over a year ago. The detailer sometimes details with Mike Phillips (Autogeek). He told me to use (Blackfire) waterless wash as a wash and detail spray. My Vette only gets dusty in the garage. It is not driven in the rain. The waterless wash has more lubricity than water. You fold a microfiber cloth into quarters and use a quarter at a time for each panel. Do not use circular strokes as I only use horizontal on the side panels. No swirls. I do this once a week and it takes 20 minutes for the entire car. Once every month or 2 , I use Blackfire crystal seal. This takes 15 minutes. No hard rubbing and has an amazing shine.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c5ab4130bd.jpg

I'm going to try your method. My cars don't get dirty enough to drag out the buckets and hoses all the time. Is auto geek the best place to purchase?
Your car looks great from the picture.

enventr 05-14-2017 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by dcarr (Post 1594738828)
I'm going to try your method. My cars don't get dirty enough to drag out the buckets and hoses all the time. Is auto geek the best place to purchase?
Your car looks great from the picture.

Thank you. Autogeek has many sale prices and is convenient for me.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b494cb838e.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c5cc30c703.jpg

drew_c6 05-14-2017 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by black2007c6 (Post 1594735971)

i use the 2 bucket method. I also use the foam blaster for minimized touching. I don't dry with a microfiber towel I usually use a rubber squeegee made for quick drying. But I always see scratches here and there, albeit light.

makes me so frustrated! especially on a black car.

edit: by squeegee I mean like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCH4WZE..._1TigzbRRHRFEG

Your squeegee is very likely part of your problem. With a microfiber towel, the fibers at least have a chance of capturing and lifting dirt and abrasives up and away from the paint. With your squeegee, you're just dragging every single missed particle and grinding it into your paint.

Microfiber towels are better than a squeegee. Air compressor is better than microfiber.

Not So Fast 05-14-2017 10:27 PM

I found that those gel silicone squeegees were worthless many years ago, threw mine away. But maybe that was just me, but one spec of sand, dirt etc. will cause a lot of damage :(
NSF

black2007c6 05-15-2017 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by drew_c6 (Post 1594738956)
Your squeegee is very likely part of your problem. With a microfiber towel, the fibers at least have a chance of capturing and lifting dirt and abrasives up and away from the paint. With your squeegee, you're just dragging every single missed particle and grinding it into your paint.

Microfiber towels are better than a squeegee. Air compressor is better than microfiber.

fair enough but won't a microfiber towel cause more damage and marring of the paint because of the pressure and dragging effect?

ive also used a product from chemical guys that you spray on to wet paint when done, it dries the water up then you use microfiber towel. Anyone tried that product? It seemed to work good.

Corvette_Ed 05-15-2017 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by airmed2 (Post 1594737994)
This is why I commented. He asked the question, and I answered how I felt inclined to. I'm not saying it's fine to just not care about anything else if you've had bigger things happen in life, but I've read all too often on here about minutiae like this. Scratches, dirt, water, spots, etc., etc., etc... Like so many others have eluded; Just drive it!

You do with your car what you will, as it is YOUR car. That doesn't give you the right to dictate what others should or should not do with their own. Everyone's priorities and reason for ownership are different. :cheers:

gilbybarr 05-15-2017 09:25 AM

Ah....the pleasures of having a WHITE Corvette....doesn't show a thing!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f205dba06f.jpg

Boomer111 05-15-2017 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by airmed2 (Post 1594737858)

Well considering this is a Corvette general discussion forum just what do you expect for general discussion threads.

In reality any social media involvement is really the same.

Just a way of passing the time, remember life is just a diversion of the end which is always looming.