CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   C5 Spare Tire Kit...Finally Available (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3989072-c5-spare-tire-kit-finally-available.html)

SG Lou 05-17-2017 08:03 PM

C5 Spare Tire Kit...Finally Available

Saw this on Facebook on a C5 Page.....
The guy claims it fit 97 thru 17 Corvettes.

I'm not going to post his prices as he is not a approved vendor.
You will have to go to his website for more info. I did how ever cut and paste his post from FB....

Spare Tire Kits For Corvettes - What Are Your Thoughts?
About a year ago I searched for a spare tire kit for my C5 for a road trip and surprisingly couldn't find anything. So, I went about developing a kit specifically for vettes. I know many are fine with risking putting their car on a tow truck or relying on run flats but that didn't work for me.
What I came up with is a kit that has an aluminum alloy wheel with a tire that matches the rolling diameter of the vettes rear wheels (but can also go on the front tire). This is so that if you drive long distances on it there won't be any strain on the drive train. There's also a vette specific ratcheting scissor jack, carrying case, and telescoping lug wrench included. It comes with everything you need to change a bad tire out to get you home, no matter where you might be.
Price is $*** + $**shipping. If anyone wants one I have some in stock now and will take PayPal. They are also on Amazon and Ebay right now but are about $30 more than coming direct through me.
Looking forward to feedback, and possibly orders :). I've put a lot of work into this and I'm curious what your thoughts are.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...62edc028e4.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a4002efff1.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3795fd9734.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0d16fd9d15.jpg

Crosis 05-17-2017 09:17 PM

Its definitely a viable option but using it on the front (if you have stock 17" wheels up front) would cause a traction control trigger wouldnt it?

JR-01 05-17-2017 09:18 PM

Did you try getting that jack under a car with a flat tire? I have scissors jack like that and it did not work. A BMW jack did. A can of Slime fix a flat got me back on the road in a minute and only cost 7 bucks.. I don't like changing a tire on the freeway. Too many people get killed doing that.

Mike94ZLT1 05-17-2017 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Crosis (Post 1594761256)
Its definitely a viable option but using it on the front (if you have stock 17" wheels up front) would cause a traction control trigger wouldnt it?

Who cares? It's not meant to be driven on long term, it's for guys like myself who HATE run flats but don't want to be left stranded. I think it's an awesome idea. I wouldn't keep it in the car all the time but it's perfect for long trips as added security.

redzg 05-17-2017 09:52 PM

"jack under a car with a flat tire?"
Now that is a rather important question.

JR-01 05-17-2017 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by redzg (Post 1594761499)
"jack under a car with a flat tire?"
Now that is a rather important question.

If it does not fit under a C5 with a flat tire than it is a total waste of money.

skydiven4fun 05-17-2017 09:57 PM

Ummm I will just call road side assistance, But I can see where some may could use this option.

neutron82 05-17-2017 10:04 PM

you could get a used oem wheel and cheap tire for much less than what those kits are selling for if you feel the need to carry a full size spare... jacking the car up is another issue, those little scissor jacks suck regardless if they fit or not

Vetteman Jack 05-17-2017 10:20 PM

I'd be concerned too about being able to get that jack under the car with a flat tire. I think I'll stick with my emergency road service on my insurance.

tbrent 05-17-2017 10:58 PM

An airbag kit would be better possibly?

norcalace 05-18-2017 07:22 AM

Not knocking the product or the concept. It appears to be a viable option. On the other side, what roadside service agency will repair, not change, a flat tire out on the highway? They're not going to squirt in a can of "flat fix" or plug it out on the roadside. Too many liability/safety issues. They'll install a spare if you have one but otherwise you'll need a tow which opens another whole can of worms for C5 owners. I just don't see any benefit to "I'll just carry my AAA card or call my roadside service on my insurance". If anyone has had success doing this I would welcome some insight. From my perspective in this regard, if we choose the non run flat option, we are left to our own devices when it comes to flat tires. I chose to carry a can of Flat Fix, scissor jack, plug kit and 12V compressor. Outside of a blowout, which is rare with today's tires I think/hope I have the where with all to handle a problem. Now where did I stash that damn wheel lock key?:willy:

dankhts 05-18-2017 08:03 AM

great idea, takes up less room than a full size spare....may solve some problems for someone down the road some day... . good luck! :thumbs:

02BlownZ06 05-18-2017 08:30 AM

No way that jack is fitting under my lowered car even without a flat tire!!

LWSZ06 05-18-2017 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by JR-01 (Post 1594761271)
Did you try getting that jack under a car with a flat tire? I have scissors jack like that and it did not work. A BMW jack did. A can of Slime fix a flat got me back on the road in a minute and only cost 7 bucks.. I don't like changing a tire on the freeway. Too many people get killed doing that.

JR-01,
What series BMW jack do you have?
Thanks,
Larry

runner140* 05-18-2017 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JR-01 (Post 1594761510)
If it does not fit under a C5 with a flat tire than it is a total waste of money.

:iagree:AAA Plus, a cell phone, a can of fix-a-flat and a 12v compressor.:thumbs:

Patches 05-18-2017 09:13 AM

7 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by norcalace (Post 1594762842)
Not knocking the product or the concept. It appears to be a viable option. On the other side, what roadside service agency will repair, not change, a flat tire out on the highway? They're not going to squirt in a can of "flat fix" or plug it out on the roadside. Too many liability/safety issues. They'll install a spare if you have one but otherwise you'll need a tow which opens another whole can of worms for C5 owners. I just don't see any benefit to "I'll just carry my AAA card or call my roadside service on my insurance". If anyone has had success doing this I would welcome some insight. From my perspective in this regard, if we choose the non run flat option, we are left to our own devices when it comes to flat tires. I chose to carry a can of Flat Fix, scissor jack, plug kit and 12V compressor. Outside of a blowout, which is rare with today's tires I think/hope I have the where with all to handle a problem. Now where did I stash that damn wheel lock key?:willy:

:iagree: This is what I do in my dd C7 and my C5. I've had two flats over the past 18 months on my commute to work and the road is most definitely not tire-changing friendly as there are few safe spots to pull over. Both times I've been extremely lucky in that, despite the catastrophic tire failure, it remained inflated enough for me to drive to a tire shop or home without having to use the fix-a-flat.

Here are the offending objects - about half the vehicles on my commute route that is a combination of canyon road and multi-lane highway consists of work trucks that spew construction materials and rocks. Fix-a-flat ain't fixing these. :( Luckily, I always carry road hazard insurance - both these tires (non-rf MPSS) were almost brand new.
Attachment 48192715

I made it 50 miles home on that razor by stopping a couple of times to keep the tire inflated - no choice other than tow it as the tire shop had to special order the tire for delivery the next day. I pulled the wheel off and brought it in the next day in my backup car.

Inflating the tire on the way home on one of the Ortega Highway turnouts
Attachment 48192716.

Discovered this one weekend after the car sat a couple of days with the tire slowly deflating.
Attachment 48192717

Attachment 48192718

Attachment 48192719

This is the low-profile mini-jack I carry with me along with a complete Slime repair kit, including plugs, compressor, a can of Slime, various tools, flashlight, and towels to lay on.
Attachment 48192720

Attachment 48192721

skydiven4fun 05-18-2017 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by norcalace (Post 1594762842)

I have had to use my road side with Hagerty and they sent a flatbed with a driver that knew what he was doing, gave me and my car a ride to where I could take care of the issue I was having, at the very least it's definitely an inconvenience, But you can have a tire repaired properly or replaced if needed and peace of mind is worth it to me.

Using road side could definitively be a gamble if its a company that your cell phone or credit card company contacts for you.

If I was on a trip over 100 miles from home I would be prepared for most anything that might come up, Just in case things get really bad or there is no phone service Ect. Ect. Ect :yesnod:

skydiven4fun 05-18-2017 09:21 AM

Man that's a sweet Jack Patches

JR-01 05-18-2017 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by LWSZ06 (Post 1594763262)
JR-01,
What series BMW jack do you have?
Thanks,
Larry

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...dae800445d.jpg

pjdbm 05-18-2017 09:28 AM

How would a person sell a product without testing with a flat?

He has to have some type of photos showing in detail the procedure with his claim of "the fix"