CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Anyone know of Services to recondition old parts? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3989500-anyone-know-of-services-to-recondition-old-parts.html)

dreno73 05-18-2017 07:56 PM

Anyone know of Services to recondition old parts?

I'm looking for services that people provide to repair things or recondition them.
-Clocks
-Interior Consoles
-Trailing Arm rebuilds & re-conditioning
-rear ends
-other odds & ends

I'm getting ready to dive in to start my restoration project and want to save $ any place I can.

Thanks in advance!

Red86Z51 05-18-2017 08:02 PM

The only way I've found you can save money is by doing all of the work yourself. If that is not possible for you, be prepared to dig deep into your pockets and drop a lot of coin along the way. Farming out restoration work is not cheap. You will learn this in a big hurry.

Good luck with your resto!

:cheers:

TimAT 05-18-2017 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by dreno73 (Post 1594768016)
I'm looking for services that people provide to repair things or recondition them.
-Clocks
-Interior Consoles
-rear ends
-other odds & ends

I'm getting ready to dive in to start my restoration project and want to save $ any place I can.

Thanks in advance!

Start digging thru the vendors that advertise here. Everything on your list is covered by one or more of them. If you get a quote from one of them, double check that you can't get a NOS or a reproduction part for less $$.

Mr D. 05-18-2017 09:42 PM

A small investment in some special tools and good manuals will save you a lot of money if you do all this yourself. There is nothing really hard about any of this if you know your way around a tool box.

dreno73 05-19-2017 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Orange74L48 (Post 1594768061)
The only way I've found you can save money is by doing all of the work yourself. If that is not possible for you, be prepared to dig deep into your pockets and drop a lot of coin along the way. Farming out restoration work is not cheap. You will learn this in a big hurry.

Good luck with your resto!

:cheers:

I'm planning to do as much work as I can. I'm just seeing if there's anyone I can use to do some refurbishing that's beyond my skills and avoid purchasing new parts. I'm already $2500 deep on just the interior alone and that's just the carpet, dash, seats, and door panels! I really appreciate the advice given.

mortgageguy 05-19-2017 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dreno73 (Post 1594768016)
-Clocks
-Interior Consoles
-rear ends
-other odds & ends

Thanks in advance!

Trailing arms and rear diff, I used Bair's in Pa. Shipping was costly, but, I know it is right.

dreno73 05-19-2017 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mr D. (Post 1594768726)
A small investment in some special tools and good manuals will save you a lot of money if you do all this yourself. There is nothing really hard about any of this if you know your way around a tool box.

What kind of tools are you talking about?
I have a friend that builds studio scale Star Wars models and is crafty with his airbrush painting skills and dremmel.

TimAT 05-19-2017 01:14 PM

Special tools-- dial indicator, micrometer, torque wrenches, feeler gauges. And manuals, Factory service manual for your year (NOT HAYNES OR CHILTON!!!!) and the Assembly Instruction Manual.

raydog9379 05-19-2017 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TimAT (Post 1594772790)
Special tools-- dial indicator, micrometer, torque wrenches, feeler gauges. And manuals, Factory service manual for your year (NOT HAYNES OR CHILTON!!!!) and the Assembly Instruction Manual.

To tack onto the torque wrench piece... get an inch pound torque wrench.

crawfish333 05-19-2017 03:40 PM

The NCRS quarterly magazine called Driveline has ads from small businesses that do just about everything you are talking about. I am not sure where you are at, but you could probably borrow a copy from someone nearby.

BTW, listing a location in your profile can be helpful at times.

dreno73 05-19-2017 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by crawfish333 (Post 1594773879)
The NCRS quarterly magazine called Driveline has ads from small businesses that do just about everything you are talking about. I am not sure where you are at, but you could probably borrow a copy from someone nearby.

BTW, listing a location in your profile can be helpful at times.

Thanks Crawfish. I updated my location.

dreno73 05-19-2017 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by TimAT (Post 1594772790)

TimAT, I purchased a service manual today originally printed by GM. Thanks

Mr D. 05-20-2017 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by dreno73 (Post 1594772556)
What kind of tools are you talking about?
I have a friend that builds studio scale Star Wars models and is crafty with his airbrush painting skills and dremmel.

Tool you would need for rebuilding trailing arms and A-Arms. All depends on your comfort level.