CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Damaged my C7 today! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3989501-damaged-my-c7-today.html)

sam1976 05-18-2017 07:56 PM

Damaged my C7 today!

what do you guys think?! repairable? pushed the gas too much suddenly and lost control this morning....car moved to the right then left to hit a bus sideways to my left lane, didn`t feel like a big impact, frame seems intact, driver door opens about 12 inches before getting stuck below the front panel, only left side damage, convertible top still works and windows close normally, car drivable. its a lease so has to be repaired using original parts. insurance adjuster/estimate is seeing it in a day to decide...

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f54c177919.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...14f8171fc0.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a650847c5b.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...94f3c279a3.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e7a3ca5fae.jpg

Gunrun 05-20-2017 01:37 AM

Ouch

Did you have traction on? I can floor mine and not lose control.

Rave 05-20-2017 02:21 AM

It certainly looks repairable to me. Looks like bumpers, panel pieces just need to be replaced. My guess is $12-16k to fix, but I'd be interested in what your insurance company tells you.

CliffB-99 05-20-2017 02:22 AM

Looks like at least 5 body panels need replaced. Not cheap. Unfortunately, expect your insurance to go up. A side benefit of a lease is at least you can turn it in at the end of the lease.

RipcordZ51 05-20-2017 06:33 AM

My thought as well ... traction control on?

1bdvet 05-20-2017 07:44 AM

Hope you weren't hurt, cars can be repaired, we on the other hand, take little longer to heal.

AORoads 05-20-2017 07:55 AM

Hope you get it all fixed up well and that you weren't hurt. My thoughts on all the nannies is that they can't save a car from everything, and in every instance. Go into a curve too hot and the laws of gravity and inertia take over. Same thing with the commercials that show a car being stopped while an inattentive driver is at the wheel. When finally cars are completely controlled so that they are rolling couches, then it will be completely controlled. And not much fun.:cheers:

Z06NJ 05-20-2017 08:54 AM

I'm sorry to see this :(

Like the others have said, were you messing around with Traction Control off? This sounds very unusual with TC on. PM me if you don't want the answer to be public.

f1reb1rd 05-20-2017 09:03 AM

Thats enough to make one cry. But this is the second stingray ive seen loosing traction in a turn: Makes me wonder about mine:

traronf 05-20-2017 09:29 AM

One of the exercises at Ron Fellows was to show us how good the C7 is with traction control on and what happens with it off. I suspect this happened with TC off or something else going on.

CACTI 1 05-20-2017 09:31 AM

well ....

a man's got to know his limitations :yesnod:

NSC5 05-20-2017 09:35 AM

A sudden throttle application, especially if the tires weren't hot or the street surface was a little slick, may let it step out briefly even with TC and Stabiltrak on. The first time I went to full throttle in my 2016 Z06 it was a warm day with fairly warm tires since I had driven over 20 miles. I had it set to sport mode in second gear (A8) at 22 MPH and rapid (not immediate) going to full throttle caused the back end to jump out before TCS intervened and momentarily reduced power. With cool tires, more rapid throttle application, and/or a poor road surface there would have been a lot more excitement.

rodsib 05-20-2017 09:38 AM

That sucks. Sorry. I'm sure it can be fixed thougg.

stingraymyway 05-20-2017 09:40 AM

Dayum! :eek:
Hope the repairs go well.

Hutch66 05-20-2017 09:46 AM

Don't let the Mustang crowd see this.

There wasn't a crowd you were trying mow down?

sam1976 05-20-2017 09:52 AM

believe it or not, TC was actually on....sudden throttle application as mentioned here, sports mode and a small area of water in the street immediately before I pushed it did the trick, only took one second! the rear wheels jumped to the curb on the right then whole car slammed into a bus in the left lane next to me....
my insurance deductible is just 200$, so probably a big insurance hike coming soon! this is my first accident ever! I am 40 years old and never had a single incident though, got out without a scratch. honestly, it wasn`t a hard impact...almost zero damage to the bus, couple of scratches. I stopped expecting small damage but when I got out I was shocked to how much damage was on the car side! I guess all that fiber glass/plastic is super easy to crack!
this is probably my last corvette! next will probably be an AWD like an R8....very unlikely this would happen with any AWD car! now i am driving around in a crappy small jeep rental for a good part of the chicago summer! will probably just fix it and turn in into the dealer soon after....

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1594778032)
A sudden throttle application, especially if the tires weren't hot or the street surface was a little slick, may let it step out briefly even with TC and Stabiltrak on. The first time I went to full throttle in my 2016 Z06 it was a warm day with fairly warm tires since I had driven over 20 miles. I had it set to sport mode in second gear (A8) at 22 MPH and rapid (not immediate) going to full throttle caused the back end to jump out before TCS intervened and momentarily reduced power. With cool tires, more rapid throttle application, and/or a poor road surface there would have been a lot more excitement.

huh! watch out....in the same body shop I saw a totalled 2017 Z06 who also lost control at a medium speed!!...at least mine is a base corvette 2015 and I was barely driving 20-25mph at the time of impact....!

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1594778032)

Jmcdude 05-20-2017 09:56 AM

Man that sucks but would be even worse if it were your car and not a lease. Hitting a bus is a scary thought too. Any bogus injuries reported? I frequently think about mine when it's parked in the garage how bad I would feel if I were to damage it after doing something stupid. And believe me I do. I've been driving in manual mode a lot recently using the paddle shifters with the nannies off in preparation for Spring Mountain in 2 weeks. If the rear wheels aren't breaking loose a little on a regular basis I don't feel like I'm enjoying my car fully. I was changing lanes last week while squeezing between two cars and throttled it about half way in second gear and almost lost it. Rear end got loose and almost drove me into the curb. I let off just in time to save it. Glad you owned up to it rather than someone here recently that tried to blame the tires for his crash at 80 and 2 g's around a sharp bend. Hopefully the car get fixed properly and you don't get dinged later when you turn in at the end of the lease.

village idiot 05-20-2017 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by sam1976 (Post 1594778138)
believe it or not, TC was actually on....sudden throttle application as mentioned here, sports mode and a small area of water in the street immediately before I pushed it did the trick, only took one second! the rear wheels jumped to the curb on the right then whole car slammed into a bus in the left lane next to me....
my insurance deductible is just 200$, so probably a big insurance hike coming soon! this is my first accident ever! I am 40 years old and never had a single incident though, got out without a scratch. honestly, it wasn`t a hard impact...almost zero damage to the bus, couple of scratches. I stopped expecting small damage but when I got out I was shocked to how much damage was on the car side! I guess all that fiber glass/plastic is super easy to crack!
this is probably my last corvette! next will probably be an AWD like an R8....very unlikely this would happen with any AWD car! now i am driving around in a crappy small jeep rental for a good part of the chicago summer! will probably just fix it and turn in into the dealer soon after....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sam1976 05-20-2017 09:58 AM

insurance adjuster is seeing the car in another day or two...will keep posting!

Originally Posted by Rave (Post 1594777109)
It certainly looks repairable to me. Looks like bumpers, panel pieces just need to be replaced. My guess is $12-16k to fix, but I'd be interested in what your insurance company tells you.

lets face it.....accidents almost never happen without doing something stupid!....i pushed the gas too much IN TRAFFIC .....has no one to blame but myself....but on a side note....i just replaced the winter tires to summer ones 2 weeks ago.....!

Originally Posted by Jmcdude (Post 1594778157)
Man that sucks but would be even worse if it were your car and not a lease. Hitting a bus is a scary thought too. Any bogus injuries reported? I frequently think about mine when it's parked in the garage how bad I would feel if I were to damage it after doing something stupid. And believe me I do. I've been driving in manual mode a lot recently using the paddle shifters with the nannies off in preparation for Spring Mountain in 2 weeks. If the rear wheels aren't breaking loose a little on a regular basis I don't feel like I'm enjoying my car fully. I was changing lanes last week while squeezing between two cars and throttled it about half way in second gear and almost lost it. Rear end got loose and almost drove me into the curb. I let off just in time to save it. Glad you owned up to it rather than someone here recently that tried to blame the tires for his crash at 80 and 2 g's around a sharp bend. Hopefully the car get fixed properly and you don't get dinged later when you turn in at the end of the lease.

hey...I might get over it if I get the hell out of this tiny jeep rental! will see!:toetap:

Originally Posted by village idiot (Post 1594778167)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bus was empty, no injuries to anyone, when the ambulance showed all signed up on "no need to go to hospital" forms

Originally Posted by Jmcdude (Post 1594778157)

Allpro 05-20-2017 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by sam1976 (Post 1594778186)
lets face it.....accidents almost never happen without doing something stupid!....i pushed the gas too much IN TRAFFIC .....has no one to blame but myself....but on a side note....i just replaced the winter tires to summer ones 2 weeks ago.....!

I am wondering if having the rear sway bar would have helped?