CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C1] C1 cockpit cover??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3991375-c1-cockpit-cover.html)

68hemi 05-22-2017 10:17 PM

C1 cockpit cover???

Does anyone make a waterproof cockpit cover for a 1957? I am thinking of removing my soft top and would like to have something to put over the cockpit in case I get caught out in the rain so I could wait it out and have it dry when it quits.

Frankie the Fink 05-22-2017 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by 68hemi (Post 1594795331)
Does anyone make a waterproof cockpit cover for a 1957? I am thinking of removing my soft top and would like to have something to put over the cockpit in case I get caught out in the rain so I could wait it out and have it dry when it quits.

Look for the cover from Ferguson Industries on Ecklers or Corvette Central. I had one for years and they work quite well.

Panama 58 05-23-2017 07:36 AM

68 Hemi, If you choose to go this direction I happen to have a set of deck lid stainless that have the male snaps already installed. These are original stainless trim pieces that I took off of a '57 years ago and they are in excellent shape. Let me know if you have any interest in these and I can send you pictures.
Panama58

Frankie the Fink 05-23-2017 08:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These are made by Ed Augustine's company out of Florida the state NCRS chairman:
https://www.ecklers.com/corvette/cor...-121933-1.html

They are available for all years of C1/C2 roadsters and even one for a leaky C2 coupe!

These attach with Velcro straps and you really need the deck lid convertible latches for them to work correctly. These are excellent in the rain and parking "top down" in the hot sun.

A word about tonneau covers with snaps. My '61 had the snaps on the doors and deck lid...they are not original and most of the tonneau covers also requires snaps in the dash pads. I've even seen snaps installed in original C1 door posts (WTF) ruining them.

I'm just sayin'...

ohiovet 05-23-2017 10:31 AM

Most good upholstery shops can sew a tonneau cover to fit your car but you will need snaps installed on the dash and trim.

Bill Pilon 05-23-2017 11:07 AM

I have the black stayfast cover that Frankie had and it works great, used it last night was at a kids ball game, a shower blew by, like they do almost every afternoon here in south GA, put the cover on and all was well, actually drier than if I had put the top up.

Bill

GTOguy 05-23-2017 11:18 AM

What these gents said about tonneau covers. True tonneau covers use snaps, lots of them. They really impact the car. If you are driving it with the top down in the rain, tonneau covers will sort of keep you dry. Lots of British cars have them. They were even a super rare option for the Pontiac GTO in 1964-65. But man, LOTS of collateral damage with all those snaps.

Frankie the Fink 05-23-2017 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon (Post 1594798225)
I have the black stayfast cover that Frankie had and it works great, used it last night was at a kids ball game, a shower blew by, like they do almost every afternoon here in south GA, put the cover on and all was well, actually drier than if I had put the top up.

Bill

That Stayfast cover that I sold you was a special order item. I don't know if that material is offered on the web sites. I got that directly from Ed Augustine. That material is super nice and takes the folding and unfolding much better IMO. Ed even made the storage bag in Stayfast. A very nice rig.

Bill Pilon 05-23-2017 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1594798509)
That Stayfast cover that I sold you was a special order item. I don't know if that material is offered on the web sites. I got that directly from Ed Augustine. That material is super nice and takes the folding and unfolding much better IMO. Ed even made the storage bag in Stayfast. A very nice rig.

I am thrilled with it and it works great, and I appreciate all the consideration you have shown me in our dealings. Thanks, Frankie.

Bill

68hemi 05-23-2017 01:59 PM

I am aware of the impact of snaps installed in chrome and dashes and will NOT be going that route.

waynec 05-23-2017 03:01 PM

If you are going to "wait it out", why not just carry a cheap/thin car cover in the trunk? Under $50 and no snaps.

Frankie the Fink 05-23-2017 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by waynec (Post 1594799857)
If you are going to "wait it out", why not just carry a cheap/thin car cover in the trunk? Under $50 and no snaps.

And the cheap ones flap around in the wind and have to be dragged on and off the whole car.

I'm just sayin'

Panama 58 05-23-2017 04:22 PM

I may have misunderstood. I thought the OP wanted a cover that would keep the interior dry while he still was able to drive it. As mentioned, many of the early C1 corvette racers had this type of interior cover. The offer of the ones I have already with snaps would allow him to save his originals. Yes, there would be other trim pieces that would need to be fitted with snaps, but I would bet that with little effort he could find the door trim pieces already with snaps from someone like me who has removed them from prior cars.

68hemi 05-23-2017 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Panama 58 (Post 1594800502)
I may have misunderstood. I thought the OP wanted a cover that would keep the interior dry while he still was able to drive it. As mentioned, many of the early C1 corvette racers had this type of interior cover. The offer of the ones I have already with snaps would allow him to save his originals. Yes, there would be other trim pieces that would need to be fitted with snaps, but I would bet that with little effort he could find the door trim pieces already with snaps from someone like me who has removed them from prior cars.

The cover that Frankie suggested is what I want. Also for those suggesting a full cover, I already have one of those. The smaller cockpit cover will be easier to dry off, fold up and take up less room in the trunk.

Frankie the Fink 05-23-2017 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 68hemi (Post 1594801054)
The cover that Frankie suggested is what I want. Also for those suggesting a full cover, I already have one of those. The smaller cockpit cover will be easier to dry off, fold up and take up less room in the trunk.

And it covers the cowl vent and windshield frame unlike a tonneau cover. Often sources of leaks.

Larry Pittiglio 05-03-2020 06:19 PM

I have an original C1 100 cover that was never put on and I just had it out today and considering giving a girlfriend of mine who has a 60

ack fia 05-04-2020 10:06 AM

cockpit covers

I have experience with two kinds. My first is with my original 60 FI (#7154, long gone) That had snaps in the dash pad, what a mess with splits. But it was good for driving with a zipper down the middle. My latest is for my 57. I bought a Ferguson from CC and it fits OK but my 57 is HT only so I had to put two rings/holes so I could use the HT bolts to hold the back..

GTOguy 05-04-2020 10:29 AM

Responses are being made to a 3 year old thread....

vettebuyer6369 05-04-2020 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Pittiglio (Post 1601439739)
I have an original C1 100 cover that was never put on and I just had it out today and considering giving a girlfriend of mine who has a 60

you are responding to a post from 2017.