CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Oxygenated Fuel with Stock Tune (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3993728-oxygenated-fuel-with-stock-tune.html)

TG's Z 05-27-2017 08:01 PM

Oxygenated Fuel with Stock Tune

Has anyone run oxygenated fuel with a stock tune?

Here is my experience. I was in Ely NV last weekend running the NORC one mile shootout and 90 mile open road race. A good friend had a 5 gal drum of VP MS109. After I did a quick google search and confirmed it was unleaded and didn't see anything about the fuel being oxygenated, I mixed 5 gals in with 8 gals of 91. After first run I got P0171B and P0174B codes....Bank 1 and 2 System Too Lean. 65F day, 6500 ft elevation. Car ran fine but speed was down about 5 mph from last year. Slight head wind and Stage 3 canard may have contributed to the lower speed. Made 3 more passes with same result. Then gingerly burnt off more fuel and put 8 gals more of 91. Tried to reset code (only once) and it immediately came back. Burnt other half tank, filled with 91 then on 4th try code reset and hasn't come back. Of course I checked for a cracked intake or loose vacuum line or loose intake clamp but everything looked ok. I can only conclude the extra O2 in the fuel was the culprit. If true, I don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did. And please don't roast me for putting in oxygenated fuel....I would have never done that knowingly.

Thoughts?

Higgs Boson 05-27-2017 09:04 PM

Nothing wrong with oxygenated fuel or MS109, I have run it many times in many cars.

HNK 05-27-2017 11:26 PM

Higgs

nothing was done to your tune??? It's has a different stoich 13.41 vs pump... Did you increase your timing for more performance or just used it as a safe guard?

Higgs Boson 05-28-2017 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by HNK (Post 1594829338)
Higgs

nothing was done to your tune??? It's has a different stoich 13.41 vs pump... Did you increase your timing for more performance or just used it as a safe guard?

all my cars are tuned, usually while I am taking delivery.:D

if you want to keep a stock tune i would find out the stoich for other oxygenated fuels like:

VP
Eco96, HP100, MS100, MS103, MS109E, MR Pro6, Performance Unleaded, RallyMax, SV05, T4, UK1, 100, 101, Export, Moto all show to be oxygenated and unleaded. :-)

https://vpracingfuels.com/master-fuel-table/

looking back I see op first sentence says "with stock tune" which are three words I normally block out of my psyche. my bad.

HNK 05-28-2017 10:17 AM

👍, never cared to keep anything stock myself. That might sound stupid, but I never tuned anything other than on pump. So basically my question would be, would when .85 lambda on pump (14.67) stoich gives best power, would that lambda need to be changed to get the same power when using the oxygenated 109 (13.41) stoich?
What would be max timing with that fuel and 15% pulley?

Chalky 05-28-2017 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by HNK (Post 1594829338)
Higgs

Any idea what stoich would be with E10/oxygenated fuel as delivered by U.S. Not sure how to calculate or find..

Higgs Boson 05-28-2017 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chalky (Post 1594831077)
Any idea what stoich would be with E10/oxygenated fuel as delivered by U.S. Not sure how to calculate or find..

ethanol is oxygenated, E10 stoich is 14.08 and is set for that already in US spec calibrations.

E0 is 14.68 stoich.

but all fuels have a stoich of Lambda 1.0:thumbs:

Chalky 05-28-2017 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 1594831254)
ethanol is oxygenated, E10 stoich is 14.08 and is set for that already in US spec calibrations.

E0 is 14.68 stoich.

but all fuels have a stoich of Lambda 1.0:thumbs:

Higgs:

Our area is considered a high pollution and are required to run a higher oxygenation blend to combat pollution. One of the benefits (thanks EPA) is reduced fuel mileage. I am assuming the increased oxygen content would require a slightly richer stoich than 14.08.

I always tuned for 14.1 stoich in my C6 cars. Now I am wondering if stoich should have been slightly richer due to the added oxygen..

jbsblownc5 05-28-2017 01:55 PM

I now have 2 different tunes I can go to on my laptop, one is a 91/Torco/meth injection tune, which I run almost all the time. The other has 10 gallons of Torco 99 oxygenated mixed with the same base of 91/Torco, still running the Meth on this tune as well...

We picked up 8-10 HP, but had to run the mixture a bit richer to be safe.:thumbs:

At some point I'll put a third tune on the car with the Oxygenated tune and a smaller pulley up top, just for straight line events, and "dyno #s" LOL...:rofl:

I've done the hard work already and installed the Cordes Racing collar on the supercharger shaft. I have two custom pulleys that will bolt right on in just a few minutes now, a stock size, running that right now, and will be most of the time. I have their 2.31 smaller pulley that will now bolt right up to the collar.:thumbs:

jbsblownc5 05-28-2017 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chalky (Post 1594831376)
Higgs:

Our area is considered a high pollution and are required to run a higher oxygenation blend to combat pollution. One of the benefits (thanks EPA) is reduced fuel mileage. I am assuming the increased oxygen content would require a slightly richer stoich than 14.08.

I always tuned for 14.1 stoich in my C6 cars. Now I am wondering if stoich should have been slightly richer due to the added oxygen..

Yes, My tuner went just a bit richer...:yesnod:

Higgs Boson 05-28-2017 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chalky (Post 1594831376)
Higgs:

you would have to measure your fuel to be sure.

do you know for sure that the fuel is different or has different ethanol %? where do you live?

Terry@BMS 05-28-2017 06:30 PM

In my expeirence the volume required for MS109 is not that much more than non oxygenated fuels like VP 100 unleaded. Maybe a few percent. Stock tuning is probably fine but stock tuning plus an intake, like running E15 or E20, might work for some cars and might trigger faults in others. The actual AFR variance is going to be minimal and you're on high octane so I would not worry too much about detonation from the AFR running a little leaner.

Like most problems easy to fix with a tune, of course.

Chalky 05-28-2017 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 1594832922)
you would have to measure your fuel to be sure.

do you know for sure that the fuel is different or has different ethanol %? where do you live?

Fuel is sold as E10. Referred to as enhanced Ethanol. We live in a 5 county region of SE Wisconsin that is required to sell this blend, same fuel as required for Chicago.

TG's Z 05-28-2017 10:01 PM

To add a bit more detail, my car is a "stock" Callaway which includes their intake. As Terry states, that combo with the MS109 may be the cause. Still curious if other Callaway owners or others with stock tune (with or without new intake) have run VP MS109 and whether or not they had a code pop.

johnglenntwo 05-28-2017 10:10 PM

Do you think! ;)

Originally Posted by TG's Z (Post 1594834171)
To add a bit more detail, my car is a "stock" Callaway which includes their intake. As Terry states, that combo with the MS109 may be the cause. Still curious if other Callaway owners or others with stock tune (with or without new intake) have run VP MS109 and whether or not they had a code pop.

HB is going to love you!:lol:Perfect!

:lolg:

johnglenntwo 05-28-2017 10:35 PM

Gone full circle in one day!

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 1594829541)
all my cars are tuned, usually while I am taking delivery.:D

looking back I see op first sentence says "with stock tune" which are three words I normally block out of my psyche. my bad.

Thanks, You flatter me:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iscussion-170/:lol:(Guys on this Forum have got a lot of nerve saying stuff about others!?)

Higgs Boson 05-28-2017 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chalky (Post 1594833520)
Fuel is sold as E10. Referred to as enhanced Ethanol. We live in a 5 county region of SE Wisconsin that is required to sell this blend, same fuel as required for Chicago.

sounds like the E10 the rest of the country runs, just you get a little extra marketing, I suppose because buyer psychology in your areas are corn averse?

the QGS did not reveal anything regarding "Enhanced." All I could find is Ethanol Enhanced Fuel references which indicate fuel enhanced by ethanol rather than the ethanol itself being enhanced....

Chalky 05-28-2017 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 1594834499)
sounds like the E10 the rest of the country runs, just you get a little extra marketing, I suppose because buyer psychology in your areas are corn averse?

the QGS did not reveal anything regarding "Enhanced." All I could find is Ethanol Enhanced Fuel references which indicate fuel enhanced by ethanol rather than the ethanol itself being enhanced....

http://archive.jsonline.com/business...145462735.html

Older article from MIlwaukee, WI newspaper talking about issues with speciality blend required. Also shows map outlining areas of the country required to burn this blend per EPA. Years ago we added MTBE ,per EPA, to local 93 octane but caused huge problems with ground water contamination.

h3mpking 05-29-2017 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by TG's Z (Post 1594828341)
Has anyone run oxygenated fuel with a stock tune?

Here is my experience. I was in Ely NV last weekend running the NORC one mile shootout and 90 mile open road race. A good friend had a 5 gal drum of VP MS109. After I did a quick google search and confirmed it was unleaded and didn't see anything about the fuel being oxygenated, I mixed 5 gals in with 8 gals of 91. After first run I got P0171B and P0174B codes....Bank 1 and 2 System Too Lean. 65F day, 6500 ft elevation. Car ran fine but speed was down about 5 mph from last year. Slight head wind and Stage 3 canard may have contributed to the lower speed. Made 3 more passes with same result. Then gingerly burnt off more fuel and put 8 gals more of 91. Tried to reset code (only once) and it immediately came back. Burnt other half tank, filled with 91 then on 4th try code reset and hasn't come back. Of course I checked for a cracked intake or loose vacuum line or loose intake clamp but everything looked ok. I can only conclude the extra O2 in the fuel was the culprit. If true, I don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did. And please don't roast me for putting in oxygenated fuel....I would have never done that knowingly.

Thoughts?

I've run straight tanks of MS109 on both a 2015 and 2017 Z with no issues or codes on stock tune. I've run it mixed as well with no issues.

OnPoint 05-29-2017 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by TG's Z (Post 1594834171)

I've run my Callaway on a blend of VP MS 109 and 93 with no problems whatsoever.