CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   My floorjack failed and I was going to toss it.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4001891-my-floorjack-failed-and-i-was-going-to-toss-it.html)

carriljc 06-15-2017 11:17 AM

My floorjack failed and I was going to toss it....

...and then I found this cool website about how they're built, and how to repair. Hopefully useful to someone:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51105

joewill 06-15-2017 11:33 AM

my problem is the kits are 45$ and the new 3 ton jack at harbor freight is 67$ on sale. Ain't worth the 2 hours of time and dirty hands.. just go out and buy a new one.

but still, thanks for the post, nice to have a tutorial.

carriljc 06-15-2017 11:38 AM

good point...

If mine isn't an easy fix and/or adjustment, then I'll check out harbor freight for that price.

Originally Posted by joewill (Post 1594951224)
my problem is the kits are 45$ and the new 3 ton jack at harbor freight is 67$ on sale. Ain't worth the 2 hours of time and dirty hands.. just go out and buy a new one.

Wee 06-15-2017 12:02 PM

I have (2) of the 3 ton low profile HF floor jacks....Good quality for the price.

Brian

caskiguy 06-15-2017 12:50 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1d5a307527.jpg

Originally Posted by carriljc (Post 1594951112)
...and then I found this cool website about how they're built, and how to repair. Hopefully useful to someone:

The Daytona jack is excellent.
:flag:

Mark_Milner 06-15-2017 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by joewill (Post 1594951224)

This is still a hard fact to swallow. Several articles I read years ago stated the older jacks were much better quality steel and it was often better to rebuild than to buy new.

But now, the cost doesn't make sense. Spend as much or more rebuilding, or buy new with a warranty.

No wonder our landfills are growing so fast.

leadfoot4 06-15-2017 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner (Post 1594953937)
This is still a hard fact to swallow. Several articles I read years ago stated the older jacks were much better quality steel and it was often better to rebuild than to buy new.

But now, the cost doesn't make sense. Spend as much or more rebuilding, or buy new with a warranty.

No wonder our landfills are growing so fast.

:iagree:

Good point!

BKbroiler 06-15-2017 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by caskiguy (Post 1594951938)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1d5a307527.jpg

[I]The Daytona jack is excellent. [/I

Caskiguy - That jack lifts that car high enough to get those stands under the wheels while they are hanging on the suspension? That's got to be 30 inches.

caskiguy 06-15-2017 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by BKbroiler (Post 1594955469)
Caskiguy - That jack lifts that car high enough to get those stands under the wheels while they are hanging on the suspension? That's got to be 30 inches.

Actually the stands compress(spring loaded with locking pins). One places the jack inside the stand and lifts the car, pins lock in place on the stand. Move to the next wheel and so forth. Or just use two stands. The Daytona jack will extend 23 1/8" perfect for what I needed.
The stands allow for full movement, very stable, car has now been on them for 8 months. If interested check out--- Myliftstand.com

carriljc 06-16-2017 09:32 AM

Looks like mine is more than a simple adjustment. Guess I'll just go to harbor freight and see what's on sale.
I was going to toss the old one, but I'm thinking I'll "repurpose" those heavy duty wheels and adapt them to roll around my wooden engine stand..... and that long jack handle looks like a good "persuador" to keep.

caskiguy 06-16-2017 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by carriljc (Post 1594958048)
Looks like mine is more than a simple adjustment. Guess I'll just go to harbor freight and see what's on sale.
I was going to toss the old one, but I'm thinking I'll "repurpose" those heavy duty wheels and adapt them to roll around my wooden engine stand..... and that long jack handle looks like a good "persuador" to keep.

Go to their website and download a 20% discount coupon.:flag:

raydog9379 06-16-2017 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by caskiguy (Post 1594958065)
Go to their website and download a 20% discount coupon.:flag:

Bastards have an exclusion on floor jacks on the current coupon. There is a coupon for $20 off the Daytona one for $179 though.

BKbroiler 06-16-2017 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by caskiguy (Post 1594955947)
Actually the stands compress(spring loaded with locking pins). One places the jack inside the stand and lifts the car, pins lock in place on the stand. Move to the next wheel and so forth. Or just use two stands. The Daytona jack will extend 23 1/8" perfect for what I needed.
The stands allow for full movement, very stable, car has now been on them for 8 months. If interested check out--- Myliftstand.com

That explains it. Thanks.

Vet76te 06-16-2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by caskiguy (Post 1594955947)

Not intending to hi-jack the thread...but how much did those My Lift Stands cost? The website doesn't any info regarding price or how to purchase.

DT

joewill 06-16-2017 05:24 PM

$550 a set of 4, plus shipping, probably 650 for the set delivered.

mrvette 06-17-2017 06:39 AM

My old Sears floor jack bit the dust after some decades of use, and it did not fit under the Miata my wife had.....so yes HF and the orange lo profile jack and I put a larger piece of doubled up 3/4 ply on the cup and even stack a 4x4 on top sometimes, and a 2x4 on edge for lifting the rear of my '72, fits between the exhaust pipes just fine......

:smash::rock:

bj1k 06-17-2017 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1594964030)
My old Sears floor jack bit the dust after some decades of use, and it did not fit under the Miata my wife had.....so yes HF and the orange lo profile jack and I put a larger piece of doubled up 3/4 ply on the cup and even stack a 4x4 on top sometimes, and a 2x4 on edge for lifting the rear of my '72, fits between the exhaust pipes just fine......

:smash::rock:

You couldn't beat those old Sears floor jacks . Wish I would have bought several of them at the time. I still have one that is forty five years old and use it practically every day. I put new seals in it about five years ago and it still works like new. Then I have a NAPA 3 ton jack that is only ten years old and is a piece of crap. Can't even buy new seals for it . So much for paying more for a brand name product . I also have a yellow Daytona jack from Harbor Freight that I just bought recently that is supposed to be a knock-off of the Snap-On for a lot less . We will see how that works out . You have to be careful with HF jacks , some are total junk .

car junkie 06-17-2017 09:09 AM

I have an old long frame hydraulic jack that I bought from Harbor Freight decades ago. I really like it because it can lift a car about 3 feet off the ground. Anyway, the main piston seal disintegrated, hard plastic type, and of course HF no longer carried repair parts. Mcmaster Carr sells hydraulic seals and I found one in the right OD but a bit small on the ID, machined the piston to fit which was really easy, cheap if you had to get it done and wallah, $7 dollars fixed. The other seals were basic O rings but I didn't bother replacing them. 5 years ago and still going strong. You know they suggest you do oil changes on hydraulic jacks! does anyone really do that? I don't.

carriljc 06-17-2017 11:39 AM

I'm going to head to Harbor Freight and see what's available. Looks like they have an aluminum floor jack on sale for cheap...... can't tell what it's like from the ad though.

CA-Legal-Vette 06-17-2017 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by carriljc (Post 1594951112)

I ended up joining Garage Journal to ask questions on that thread years ago when my Craftsman jack failed. For that jack, all I needed was a couple of o rings and a change of oil and was good as new. If you need to find replacement parts though, tough to beat HF jacks.