CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Headliner Replacement (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4003742-headliner-replacement.html)

ejscarfo 06-19-2017 05:06 PM

Headliner Replacement

Hey guys! Hope all you father's had a nice holiday. For my day, my wife and kids left me alone to work on my 85.

Someone gave me a fiberglass top from a late 86 in the same color as my car so I spent the day swapping out the brackets and replacing the sunvisors, etc. The "new" top had a sagging headliner and foam dust was coming out of it left and right. I pulled the material off and removed the backing board. It came off really easy but it looks flimsy, like if I go to clean off the remaining foam the board will fall apart. What have you guys used to replace the backer board for the headliners? I'm open to suggestions.

Cjunkie 06-19-2017 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just pulled the old one out of my headliner and put in one i got from Ecklers. This is what it looked like when I was done. Good enough for a 31 year old car.

Cruisinfanatic 06-19-2017 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ejscarfo (Post 1594978553)
Hey guys! Hope all you father's had a nice holiday. For my day, my wife and kids left me alone to work on my 85.

Someone gave me a fiberglass top from a late 86 in the same color as my car so I spent the day swapping out the brackets and replacing the sunvisors, etc. The "new" top had a sagging headliner and foam dust was coming out of it left and right. I pulled the material off and removed the backing board. It came off really easy but it looks flimsy, like if I go to clean off the remaining foam the board will fall apart. What have you guys used to replace the backer board for the headliners? I'm open to suggestions.

As long as the backerboard is cleaned of loose material, it is very usable.

zachaeous 06-19-2017 07:12 PM

I had the same thing on my 1984 and I cleaned the backing board to remove any loose material. I then recovered the board and reinstalled and it is holding just fine. I did this in 2012 and still looks new.

I bought the headliner material from a seller on ebay who is or was a member here on the forum.

Joe C5 C2 06-19-2017 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cjunkie (Post 1594978997)
I just pulled the old one out of my headliner and put in one i got from Ecklers. This is what it looked like when I was done. Good enough for a 31 year old car.

Not just good enough, looks great! Love the socks by the way. :)

Cjunkie 06-19-2017 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Joe C5 C2 (Post 1594979816)
Not just good enough, looks great! Love the socks by the way. :)

Lol thanks. I did it on my wife's dining room table last winter......hence the socks!

bac22 06-20-2017 08:29 AM

I need to do mine, bought the material from a member here as well I believe. Seems easy enough, but any particular tips? Or is it just simply buy the adhesive from auto store and go to town?

Cruisinfanatic 06-20-2017 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by bac22 (Post 1594982027)
I need to do mine, bought the material from a member here as well I believe. Seems easy enough, but any particular tips? Or is it just simply buy the adhesive from auto store and go to town?

If you bought from me, you received instructions

Paul Workman 06-20-2017 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by bac22 (Post 1594982027)

I just installed my second headliner in my Z; first attempt only lasted 3 years. :mad:

But, in the interim I learned how to use contact cement "mo bettah" now.

I believe in 3M spray adhesive for light weight materials like headliners. But, 3M makes a couple different formulas, I discovered: one specifically says NOT for use on headliners, and the other included headliners in their list of uses.

The issue is, before the two surfaces are pressed together, the glue may become too dry, especially in certain (hot/dry) conditions. What happens is there is less than idea adhesion between the liner and the backing. After a short while (and heat cycles) the glue looses its hold and the dang liner starts to come down (again).

Well, the trick is to spray a third layer of adhesive to one of the surfaces (the backing), and while it is still wet, press the liner to the backing, and I used a stiff, long-bristle brush to smooth the liner in place, working from the center to the edges.

As a matter of fact, I may have read about this "third layer" method on one of the 3M contact containers/tubes I have. Well, regardless, it really works - especially on large surfaces (like carpet and headliners).

:cheers:

ejscarfo 06-21-2017 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic (Post 1594982117)
If you bought from me, you received instructions

Do you sell it in other colors? I was thinking of doing the headliner in Saddle to match the interior.

Cruisinfanatic 06-21-2017 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by ejscarfo (Post 1594991187)
Do you sell it in other colors? I was thinking of doing the headliner in Saddle to match the interior.

just black right now