CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   500 mile Oil Change tomorrow Couple of ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4007463-500-mile-oil-change-tomorrow-couple-of.html)

danh63 06-28-2017 08:30 AM

500 mile Oil Change tomorrow Couple of ?

going in the 500 mi oil change tomorrow and had a couple of questions. Do they know they are supposed to use Mobil1 or should I insist on it or is it just our preference to use that? They are also going to look at passenger side window as there is a clunk when going down about half way. I have some lifting pucks, does the dealer normally use them or should I tell them to use mine? Also I notice when I pull out off my driveway I notice a clunk or skip in the rear end. Is that normal or do I have a problem?

JerryU 06-28-2017 08:34 AM

^^^
Depends on the dealer. Some act like they don't know. IMO the service manager and the mechanics helper may just take the easy way out and pump from the "Oh-So-Peachy" brand dexos approved blend they have in 55 gallon drums in the oil change bay! You must ask.

DETAILS: Unfortunately lots of threads about overfilling dry sumps. Since you're using a dealer (I change my own, just did the 500 mile change on my Grand Sport) suggest you do what some forum members do, ask to have 9 quarts of Mobile 1 put in and give your the 10th. You'll be at least assured you have 1 quart of Mobil 1 (since they will have to check out the Mobil 1 you'll have a high probability of getting all Mobil 1! :lol:) When you get home fill to the desired level. I and many others fill to half way in the hatched area, 1/2 quart above Min/Add and half quart below Max. Helps avoid oil burping with the air from the dry sump tank to the air intake.

RE jacking pucks have to ask about those as well. When I brought my September 2013 C7, Z51 in for a dif oil level check soon after I got it, the gal who worked the Chevy Service Desk when I said (as I always did with my C6) be sure they use the jack pads that are in the passenger seat in a clear bag she said: "Don't worry, I'll only let them use our alignment rack (they have one of those and 12/14 center post lifts ) as we just cracked a Vette rocker panel and had to have it repaired! For my Grand Sport bought 4 Reverse Logic (forum vendor) jack pads. He has a unique design that can be assembled to lock them in temporally for a trip to a dealer of tire service n not have to "hope" the pads I leave on the seat are used!

What you are asking the mechanics helper to do instead of pumping the dexos blend from a 55 gallon drum in the oil change bay is to: go to the parts department and sign out for 10 quarts of Mobil 1 and cart them back to his work bay. He would also have to sign out for jack pucks (if the dealer has them!) Then to fill at the proper level he has to: 1) start the car and let it run for 10 minutes to get the oil hot, 2) then wait 5 minutes to let the oil drain down from the baffles in the dry sump tank, 3) but he can't go for coffee since if he waits for more than 10 minutes oil drains back to the pan past the scavenge pump gears and he'll get a false low reading! Easier to read a volume in a table, set the pump and he'll overfill by at least 1/2 quart! The Service Manual which he probably has not read, clearly states the level must be checked but a PIA for him!

PS: re the cluck, tell them you hear it and at least they should check the dif level. Probably not an issue but while it's on the lift they can check. Better chance you'll also have C7 Certified mechanic do everything!

bjones7131 06-28-2017 08:37 AM

I asked my dealer before I took my car in what oil they used.

Heidemarie 06-28-2017 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by danh63 (Post 1595035021)
going in the 500 mi oil change tomorrow and had a couple of questions. Do they know they are supposed to use Mobil1 or should I insist on it or is it just our preference to use that? They are also going to look at passenger side window as there is a clunk when going down about half way. I have some lifting pucks, does the dealer normally use them or should I tell them to use mine? Also I notice when I pull out off my driveway I notice a clunk or skip in the rear end. Is that normal or do I have a problem?

Just tell them to use Mobil 1 and check your service invoice before you leave to assure that's what they put in, also check for filter PN and follow instruction in manual to check if oil level is correct before you drive away. Regarding pucks we always put ours in front seat for tech to see in case he needs them; so far they never used them, our dealership has correct lift for vette.
Heidi
Save the Wave

BlueFinn 06-28-2017 09:08 AM

I have installed permanent pucks. Why would anyone use non-permanent pucks?

Not being a smart-ass - just wondering if there is a reason to not use the permanent ones.
John

danh63 06-28-2017 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by BlueFinn (Post 1595035258)

Not being a smart-ass - just wondering if there is a reason to not use the permanent ones.
John

I jumped of the ones I bought before even knowing they had the permanent ones. Will be a purchase in the future.

Bob-G 06-28-2017 09:59 AM

John

Where did you buy the permanent pucks? Thanks in advance.

BlueFinn 06-28-2017 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bob-G (Post 1595035598)
Where did you buy the permanent pucks? Thanks in advance.

Sent you a PM because I am naming the supplier.
John

danh63 06-28-2017 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by BlueFinn (Post 1595035698)
John

Can you send me a PM also? Would like to get some

Heidemarie 06-28-2017 10:33 AM

John

If you have full sideskirts you are better off having the extended pucks. We had permanent ones (shorter version) on our 2015 Stingray (no sideskirts) but purchased the C28-63 Corvette Jack Pad Tool with 15mm extension for our 2017 GS (which has full size sideskirts).
Heidi

juanvaldez 06-28-2017 10:37 AM

John

Reduced ground clearance.

Bob-G 06-28-2017 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by BlueFinn (Post 1595035698)
John

Thanks John, I got it.

Bob

BlueFinn 06-28-2017 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by juanvaldez (Post 1595035854)
Reduced ground clearance.

Perhaps. But mine are not that thick. I would sooner the pucks scraped ground than parts of the car.

My son has a Saturn Sky (similar jacking points to the corvette). He got new tires and pointed out to the installer to watch where they set the jacks so as to not crack the side panels. Well, the idiots cracked the panels at the bottom and then claimed it was not them that did it. He did not have before pictures.

So, since then he bought the permanent pucks as well for his Sky.
John

VNAMVET 06-28-2017 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bob-G (Post 1595035939)
Thanks John, I got it.

Bob

Supplier please? Thanks

Rooster OG 06-28-2017 12:34 PM

I put zl1addons pucks on mine a year and a half ago. I forget they're on.

https://zl1addons.com/products/corve...nt=28961300929

BlueFinn 06-28-2017 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by VNAMVET (Post 1595036625)
Supplier please? Thanks

I am unable to send you a PM. And my supplier is not a vender in the Forum. But I see there is a post above for a supplier.
John

JerryU 06-28-2017 01:37 PM

John

FWIW, had LG Motorsports carbon fiber side skirts on my 2014 C7 and bought the 2 inch high Katech aluminum pucks! That was needed to clear the pads especially when using my hydraulic jacks.

Recently brought them to the courtesy delivery dealer who appreciated them when he installed my GM Stage 2 side skirts on my new Grand Sport. The Grand Sport OEM side skirts are not as deep so am using 1 inch high Reverse Logic pads (a forum vendor) that have an option of temporarily being bolted in for a trip to the dealer or tire store. They would not be left in all the time as would not want them sticking down 1 inch! However I don't have to be concerned if I do bring the car to a dealer that they will not install them.

Flat "permanent" pads won't work in those cases-just for your info.

For my use the Reverse Logic pads are great, just slip them in when I am working on the car and IF I need to bring the car to the dealer I will bolt them in for the trip then remove.

danh63 06-30-2017 10:28 AM

Well first trip to the dealer was a mess. Fist told them to use Mobil 1 and it was not a problem. Said I was worried about the over fill and would do the last quart myself. I got the "it's OK we know what we are doing" . Also told them about the lift pucks and my other problems. I asked them to call my cell phone when done and of course they didn't. There was a message on my home phone that the oil was changed and they ordered a window regulator and they would need more time for the rear end noise. Got there and service department was closed so I drove the car home and of course they over filled the oil.

Heidemarie 06-30-2017 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by danh63 (Post 1595050406)
Got there and service department was closed so I drove the car home and of course they over filled the oil.

That is exactly the reason we never leave the service dept. without first checking the oil level. We drive the car to a parking space at the dealership, warm the engine to 175 degrees; turn off engine and wait 5 to 10 min. before checking oil level. Although we have never had a problem with our dealer, we still check for our own assurance. Our dealership has actual Vette cert. techs to do the oil change, so overfill is probably not an issue; But our motto is: trust but verify.
Hope you got the oil drained to proper level without damage to engine and having a horrible oil smell in car.
Heidi
Save the Wave

MHE-Plex 06-30-2017 04:34 PM

For added peace of mind on the oil change consider calling around and trying to find a dealer w/a certified tech and which also drives over a pit in which the techs are down inside as opposed to a dealer who raises the car on a lift.

Also consider seeing if forum members or corvette club members in your area can recommend a place to go.

Those are the 2 things I did. I had bought reverse logic pucks and took them with me but found a recommended dealer who had the pit and didn't need to raise the car . The service Mgr also knew all about Mobil 1 and even had a customer - like me, with a dry sump - who wanted only 9.5 quarts.

I had to drive a little farther to get to this dealer but hey - that's part of the fun of owning the car!