CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   DRM Bilstein Coilovers - Any Feedback (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4011684-drm-bilstein-coilovers-any-feedback.html)

anth115 07-07-2017 06:06 PM

DRM Bilstein Coilovers - Any Feedback

Hey guys,

Does anyone have feedback on the Bilstein coilover kit offered on the DRM site? With all the great feedback their revalved Bilstein shocks get, I'm surprised I haven't heard much about their coilover option as it is priced pretty competitively.

So far it seems that LG is the best bang for your buck in this area, but just want to get some more feedback on another possible option so myself and others can make more informed decisions in the future.

Note - not looking to turn this into a grudge match of who is better than who - as far as I'm concerned they're two awesome companies/vendors and we're lucky to have them putting out good parts for our rides.

If you have any feedback on these, please chime in (and specify if your experience is on track, street, or both).

Thanks!

Dan_the_C5_Man 07-07-2017 09:51 PM

Ok, I'll bite (but be prepared for the onslaught of counter opinions).

I've used the DRM's before on a previous build, and if these damn mag shocks weren't so good they'd most likely be on my current car.

For a street car that occasionally hits the road course, they simply can't be beat.

They are of high quality construction.

They are valved expertly, with a lot of R&D behind the valving.

They are quiet, which is (for me) a huge deal for a street car. They don't use heim joints like the LG's and hence they won't rattle after being on the car for 15 or 25K miles.

The spring rates are sane - and to clarify, other vendors tend to go nuts on the front spring rate, much stiffer compared to the factory balance front to rear. I personally believe that the factory spring rates are well-balanced and you really just want a 10 to 15% increase all around. That's how the DRM's are sprung and valved.

With the spring rates they select, the car is totally livable on the street - you won't regret it every time you hit a decent-sized bump.

And as you pointed out they are priced very competitively.

To summarize, if I were to gut my car, take the license plates off and throw them in the trash and it was a pure road race machine I would more than likely put LG coilovers on it. But for a street car that spends 90% of its time around town, 10% on the track (and really think about that - that's a LOT of track time, more than I do) it's DRM FTW. :cheers:

Woods 07-07-2017 11:17 PM

Had them on my C5 Z06....fantastic.

Mordeth 07-08-2017 07:44 AM

I agree with Dan. I have a buddy at the track in a C5Z that runs DRM Coilovers with Bilstein shocks and Hyperco springs. He loves them and raves about them. The fact that he can usually keep up with me in my built C6Z suggests they are doing their job. He is very stable in the corners and his car is extremely well balanced (other mods contribute to this). I have some video somewhere of me chasing him down at WGI. Car looks fantastic at corner entry, mid-corner and track out.

DRM is also extremely reputable and stands behind their stuff.

anth115 07-13-2017 02:10 PM

Bump for more feedback.

Any difference to what is included with each (bushings etc) or ease of adjustment (dampening front/rear)?

Dan_the_C5_Man 07-13-2017 10:24 PM

DRM's are not adjustable - but when the dampening rates are set properly, that's not a problem.

They use rubber bushings in the top mounts, similar to stock. Bottoms mount like a stock shock.

I do wish they were inverted, and had a separate ride height adjustment - you set the ride height via spring preload, but again, on my old car the stance was "perfect", so it was a non-issue. :cheers: