CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Asbestos used in construction of the C6??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4014789-asbestos-used-in-construction-of-the-c6.html)

aussieross01 07-14-2017 08:28 AM

Asbestos used in construction of the C6???

Hi Guys,
Have challenge down here in Australia.
Our Border/Customs Control Department have now taken it upon themselves to completely ban the import of any components that contain ASBESTOS.
I am told that we the only country that now has zero tolerance towards the use of this product.
I have a 2013 C6 salvage car currently on the water, due to arrive here in Australia in the next few weeks.
I have been informed the container it is in, has been "flagged" by Customs for inspection. This means it is likely my car will be stripped and pulled apart by untrained Customs officers in a search for Asbestos. I will then get a large bill, and my car will be a pile of parts.
Yes, it's crap, and I have zero control or say, in this process.

I'm thinking the only thing I can do to help myself is determine what, if any, asbestos is present in these late model Vette's.
Armed with this information from a credible source, I might have a chance to limit this pain. It's either that, or I just sit and wait to be raped and pillaged.

Any knowledgable folk out there can help with this?. I'm figuring there might be some in brake pads, exhaust manifold gawkers:- hopefully not head gaskets. I have heard of them pulling motors apart!

Thanks in advance
Ross

Corvette_Ed 07-14-2017 08:48 AM

Asbestos hasn't been in use in car manufacturing for quite some time here in the US. The only thing that "might" contain any would be the brake pads, and I'm fairly certain even those don't use asbestos any longer.

jaredtxrx 07-14-2017 08:52 AM

I had thought the U.S had banned it's use a long time ago but apparently not.
https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/us-federal-bans-asbestos

Corvette_Ed 07-14-2017 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx (Post 1595143299)
I had thought the U.S had banned it's use a long time ago but apparently not.
https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/us-federal-bans-asbestos

Yep, looks like brake pads still use it. I'd thought they'd stopped using it, but apparently not.

Landru 07-14-2017 09:21 AM

Given the 'law' in AU, wouldn't vehicle maker's be required, by law, to list any/all components using asbestos in their vehicles?
I could understand an imported custom and/or 'hotrod', but an otherwise 'stock' vehicle? :confused2:

In any event brake pads would probably contain asbestos, and carbon would certainly solve that 'problem' post haste. :cheers:

dmaxx3500 07-14-2017 09:54 AM

get ahold of customs before your car lands and bring them up to speed
asbestos has been banned is us car for 30 + years

mcandrew67 07-14-2017 09:56 AM

Have you reached out to GM to see if they have a certification that they use for export vehicles?

cv67 07-14-2017 10:39 AM

holy cow man!
Def call ahead make sure they dont touch that car.
Thought Ca was bad...those guys been in the sun too long :willy:

C6ToGo 07-14-2017 12:54 PM

I assume there are chevy dealers in AU who sell vettes. I would ask to speak to someone there who knows the rules.

2L8LUZ 07-14-2017 01:39 PM

Show up with starving children and say that this car was for a Raffled Contest to support poverty...

aussieross01 07-14-2017 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mcandrew67 (Post 1595143722)
Have you reached out to GM to see if they have a certification that they use for export vehicles?

Thanks, I'm in the process of trying that, thou not hopeful they'd bother to respond.
From the link above I figure I may be even in more trouble than I figured.
Clearly asbestos is present in the brake pads, I figured I was safer because my car is an auto, but no,may have asbestos in there also, not to mention engine gaskets:- darn!!
I heard of a recent case in Sydney whereby a bloke imported a near new Ferrari, and it got stripped by unqualified customs inspectors. Anyway this poor bloke got a whole pile of parts, and an even bigger bill for their time.
Guy is sueing the Customs department:- good luck with that, poor pain, more costs.

I've imported many cars over the last 30 odd years, never had anything like this. No one is importing hardly anymore, it is killing what little business confidence there is. Interesting, frustrating times ahead I feel

aussieross01 07-14-2017 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by C6ToGo (Post 1595145042)
I assume there are chevy dealers in AU who sell vettes. I would ask to speak to someone there who knows the rules.

Thanks, but that won't help. I know personally several importers that are running scared now.
There are no Vette dealers down here, just a few Right Hand Drive converters that work on customer personal imports

aussieross01 07-14-2017 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette (Post 1595144058)
holy cow man!
Def call ahead make sure they dont touch that car.
Thought Ca was bad...those guys been in the sun too long :willy:

Mate, I have no say. I have been informed this container my car is in has been flagged, so that means there's a whole pile of hurt coming my way.

The only way to limit the pain is to try and prove there is no asbestos in this car. As that seems increasingly unlikely, I'm at their mercy.

lovinmyls1 07-14-2017 06:25 PM

Sounds like Big Brother is even larger than here in the US. Good luck to you.:thumbs:

lbzraptor 07-14-2017 06:53 PM

Might be better and less costly to just leave it on the ship and send it back.

jmeirhofer 07-14-2017 06:58 PM

I would arrange to have it stay right on the ship and send it back. Would cost you less to have it sold off at auction probably. Unless you can put on the dock and never take delivery. At least until this blows over or you can come up with a plan. If it has to sit there a year what kind of impound fees are you looking at? And if you can never clear customs because of the asbestos then option number one.

Mike's LS3 07-14-2017 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed (Post 1595143375)
Yep, looks like brake pads still use it. I'd thought they'd stopped using it, but apparently not.

How about the clutch discs?

I have a Mantic dual disc clutch made in Australia. I guess it's OK to export asbestos clutch discs out of Australia, as long as it is not imported? :crazy:

aussieross01 07-14-2017 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3 (Post 1595147941)
How about the clutch discs?

I have a Mantic dual disc clutch made in Australia. I guess it's OK to export asbestos clutch discs out of Australia, as long as it is not imported? :crazy:

Yes, and these mantic clutches are sold right here in Australia also.
Still, I would have thought Mantic would not be using Asbestos in their organic clutches, but I could be wrong.

The stupid thing is, we have a bunch of Chinese stuff coming into the country, and it's common knowledge they still use a lot of asbestos in their vehicle parts.

We can all agree the situation is crap, but it is what it is, and I need to deal with this reality.
Does anyone know whether asbestos is still used in these modern engines, ie head gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets?
Thanks

Not So Fast 07-14-2017 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by aussieross01 (Post 1595143170)
Hi Guys,
Have challenge down here in Australia.
Our Border/Customs Control Department have now taken it upon themselves to completely ban the import of any components that contain ASBESTOS.
I am told that we the only country that now has zero tolerance towards the use of this product.
I have a 2013 C6 salvage car currently on the water, due to arrive here in Australia in the next few weeks.
I have been informed the container it is in, has been "flagged" by Customs for inspection. This means it is likely my car will be stripped and pulled apart by untrained Customs officers in a search for Asbestos. I will then get a large bill, and my car will be a pile of parts.
Yes, it's crap, and I have zero control or say, in this process.

I'm thinking the only thing I can do to help myself is determine what, if any, asbestos is present in these late model Vette's.
Armed with this information from a credible source, I might have a chance to limit this pain. It's either that, or I just sit and wait to be raped and pillaged.

Any knowledgable folk out there can help with this?. I'm figuring there might be some in brake pads, exhaust manifold gawkers:- hopefully not head gaskets. I have heard of them pulling motors apart!

Thanks in advance
Ross

This smells as if California has its slimy paws on it :lol:
NSF

aussieross01 07-15-2017 07:23 AM

Is anybody able to reliably advise whether there is any asbestos content in the standard base model brake pads of a 2013 model.