CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Loud BANG from engine @ Highway speeds. Ideas? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4015391-loud-bang-from-engine-highway-speeds-ideas.html)

Big Lebowski 07-15-2017 04:51 PM

Loud BANG from engine @ Highway speeds. Ideas?

30 minutes into my road trip up North I experienced a yet to be explained VERY loud bang from the front right of the car. As I move into the right lane and approach the semi on my right, you will hear a loud BANG! The top was down, and video does not do it justice. It scared the crap out of me...which is why there is a delay in my expletive. :willy:

After a few near miss incidents I began running my PDR regularly, so I captured the attached video with the Bang occurring after 8 seconds...it's hard to miss. I apologize, it is not a direct copy as I have no way of doing so where I am.

I saw no road debris ahead of me or behind me after the bang. Nothing came off the truck. No loss of tire or oil pressure. I was initially concerned it had something to do with the dry-sump. When I pulled off at the next exit I fully expected to find massive damage to something or leaking oil everywhere. Nothing. Nothing to the tires, body, engine compartment, underside (that I can see). I'm at a loss as I don't know what happened. The only thing that appears to happen close to that moment is the car shifts from 6th to 7th...

Needless to say, I drove cautiously after that, keeping an eye on all gauges and I never saw anything change. All things considered, the next 5 1/2 hours were uneventfull. Thinking I must have run over something, I felt I had dodged a bullet. But, after watching the PDR footage when I arrived and did not see any road debris, I became concerned something bigger may be going on.

Has anyone EVER had anything like this happen before? :eek:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

See06 07-15-2017 04:57 PM

Check to see if you still have boost. Could have been the Supercharger Belt.

Big Lebowski 07-15-2017 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by See06 (Post 1595152232)
Check to see if you still have boost. Could have been the Supercharger Belt.

Awesome. I will check that.

Hemi Dave 07-15-2017 05:24 PM

Thats crazy........Follow up with us.

C7/Z06 Man 07-15-2017 05:33 PM

I viewed your video from about 6 seconds in to the noise at 8 and it looks like there may of been something on your passenger side of the road that your tire kicked up. It looks like a small black thing, got to look close/quick to catch it. :D

cvp33 07-15-2017 05:44 PM

Car shook so either you were shocked and jerked the wheel or you hit something.

davepl 07-15-2017 05:51 PM

At the track once I picked up a piece of small debris in my tire and it launched upwards with enough force to go THROUGH the inner fender and spider-web the actual body. It was LOUD.

Something along those lines is my guess...

If you watch the video closely you can see the image "jump" slightly right before the sound. That makes me think you ran something over, but I can't spot anything on the road beforehand.

spearfish25 07-15-2017 06:09 PM

The bang corresponded perfectly with the 6-7 shift.

sunsalem 07-15-2017 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man (Post 1595152401)
I viewed your video from about 6 seconds in to the noise at 8 and it looks like there may of been something on your passenger side of the road that your tire kicked up. It looks like a small black thing, got to look close/quick to catch it. :D

Yeah, I saw something too.

I have had this kind of thing happen to me as well.
The Michelins are so sticky they will pick up anything and everything and fling it back under the car.

sTz 07-15-2017 06:15 PM

"I don't owe you anything, I don't owe you anything...," Foo Fighters, I'll Stick Around :rock:

Back on topic. Dude, the "bang" definitely sounded like it was outside the car, and not internal, like the tranny, engine, etc. I agree with the above posts. I looks like you ran over something. If no visible damage, I think you're good. :thumbs:

It could have been worse:

NSC5 07-15-2017 06:24 PM

It isn't that hot in the upper midwest now or I would suspect a pavement heat buckle occurring as you passed over it. It certainly looked like the car jumped over something.

Wass 07-15-2017 06:28 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5ec24b12e5.jpg

Big Lebowski 07-15-2017 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by sTz (Post 1595152667)
"I don't owe you anything, I don't owe you anything...," Foo Fighters, I'll Stick Around :rock:

Back on topic. Dude, the "bang" definitely sounded like it was outside the car, and not internal, like the tranny, engine, etc. I agree with the above posts. I looks like you ran over something. If no visible damage, I think you're good. :thumbs:

It could have been worse:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjBBDJ5OiT0

Lol. Thanks. I needed that! ;)

Big Lebowski 07-15-2017 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by sunsalem (Post 1595152665)

The Michelins are so sticky they will pick up anything and everything and fling it back under the car.

I'm only reviewing on my iPad, so I'll take your word for it...and actually hope that's what it was and that's the end of it.

Spacewalker 07-15-2017 08:26 PM

I think something hit your targa top. Look at see if there is a chip.

Kevin Parent 07-15-2017 08:28 PM

Sonic boom?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

rbartick 07-15-2017 08:32 PM

I saw it. I think he hit something.

Big Lebowski 07-15-2017 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spacewalker (Post 1595153210)
I think something hit your targa top. Look at see if there is a chip.

It was a convertible, not a targa.

Spacewalker 07-15-2017 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski (Post 1595153454)
It was a convertible, not a targa.

top of the windshield frame then.

Big Lebowski 07-15-2017 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by sunsalem (Post 1595152665)

Originally Posted by rbartick (Post 1595153234)
I saw it. I think he hit something.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Thanks everyone for nudging me in that direction. I finally tracked down a laptop that I could review the SD card on to view at a decent resolution and there is definitely something on the road right befor the BANG. From the looks of it zoomed in, it looks like a bolt or metal spike. Not cool. I did not see it at all.

I was skeptical it was road debris, because it was so LOUD. Crazy loud, but I feel a lot better that knowing that's what it was, and other than a likely scuff somewhere on the underside, it's nothing major. I'll get it up on my lift when I get home, but from ground level everything looks sound. :thumbs:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d670b8c74.jpeg

Metal bolt in 3...2...1