CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Deep water fording? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4015641-deep-water-fording.html)

helirich 07-16-2017 11:21 AM

Deep water fording?

Does anyone know how deep of water a C7 can go through? Is there any technique for going through deep water? (Like going fast or backing through) Our road gets flooded sometimes when it rains hard.

macdizzle 07-16-2017 11:22 AM

hahaha hmmm 4 inches?

Do yourself a favor, if the road floods. don't drive it.

23/C8Z 07-16-2017 11:26 AM

unless you're trying to upgrade lol

Silver C7 07-16-2017 11:36 AM

Do your "fording" in a Ford, not your Chevy...:D

NSC5 07-16-2017 11:37 AM

Although Corvettes really don't melt when they get wet there aren't many worse choices for going through elevated standing or worse flowing water. It will have water in the passenger cabin with around 5" of water and you or someone else will easily create a 5" wake going through a few inches of water.

If the flooding is just in one spot is this something the road commission would address through a culvert and elevating a small section? Or berms built to redirect the water? If your road is frequently flooding to a depth that makes travel difficult/dangerous unless this is a private road built for you the appropriate government body should address this since you are paying taxes for such infrastructure. I grew up on the gulf coast and even there significant road flooding only occurred from a significant tropical event or an unusual confluence of heavier than the normal heavy rain events coupled with a high tide. Those events were rare enough it wasn't a concern that you couldn't drive a specific vehicle maybe once or twice a year for a few hours.

sTz 07-16-2017 11:38 AM

Anything above the rockers and you are pushing your luck, but this should be common sense.

L8ter 07-16-2017 11:40 AM

A
b
o
u
t

t
h
i
s

m
u
c
h, very slow.

Mike Campbell 07-16-2017 11:41 AM

Turn around and go another way. :toetap:

helirich 07-16-2017 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by macdizzle (Post 1595155723)
hahaha hmmm 4 inches?

Do yourself a favor, if the road floods. don't drive it.

That's not really practical advice. Our road floods about 2-3 times a month. We do have extra cars, but that doesn't help when it floods while we are coming home.

Also, the car is mainly my wife's. So I need a depth to tell her not to cross and I will get her with the truck. By the way, we have already crossed about 6-8" with no problem. The spot where it floods is only about 20' long

helirich 07-16-2017 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell (Post 1595155800)
Turn around and go another way. :toetap:

The other way floods worse.

helirich 07-16-2017 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by sTz (Post 1595155788)
Anything above the rockers and you are pushing your luck, but this should be common sense.

What is the issue? Intake sucking water, electronics getting wet? I'm not really worried about water on the floor as it doesn't have time to get in. (As long as it doesn't stall)

Rubiland 07-16-2017 12:08 PM

Move!

Beezvette 07-16-2017 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by helirich (Post 1595155844)
What is the issue? Intake sucking water, electronics getting wet? I'm not really worried about water on the floor as it doesn't have time to get in. (As long as it doesn't stall)

Dude, no kidding, you should sell the car and buy a performance vehicle that is higher up. No matter how you twist and turn this, going through anything but a few inches of water puts your car at risk, and water problems are very difficult to fix and a serious soaking will diminish the value of the car. Just my opinion.

davepl 07-16-2017 12:50 PM

Whatever it is, it's like a Range Rover compared to anything with an Optispark! :rofl:

AORoads 07-16-2017 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by helirich (Post 1595155802)
That's not really practical advice. Our road floods about 2-3 times a month. We do have extra cars, but that doesn't help when it floods while we are coming home.

Also, the car is mainly my wife's. So I need a depth to tell her not to cross and I will get her with the truck. By the way, we have already crossed about 6-8" with no problem. The spot where it floods is only about 20' long

Well then you must know the answer; everyone above says LESS than your numbers, but you say you can, and have done 6"-8" in your car.

I'd say just don't cross more than what you've done above---6"-8". And very slow with no one around causing waves---that's not a joke. Waves increase the height of the water even temporarily.

Of course, you do have the option of raising the car on its own adjusters a little bit, not much. Everything helps.

Some have said in the distant past you can safely travel thru water that's about the depth you state, but I wouldn't chance it. Beeze has some good points to consider; hope you don't find out tho. :cheers:

Phanni 07-16-2017 01:17 PM

getting water into the intake is one way to get a new motor. google hydrolock.\\I've seen the results, it is usually a rod out the side of the block. Why chance it?

JerryU 07-16-2017 01:23 PM

^^^
:iagree: Saw a friends car at the Mercedes dealer where he had just done that. The engine was apart with a couple of broken rods etc, not pretty.

Got caught in very heavy rain once with my 2014 C7! Said I never would drive it again if the weather showed any chance of a storm.

Should have parked somewhere until the water receded! I have few road choices but figured I take the long way around essentially a circular 5 mile loop I live on with roads that cross in the middle. I knew my normal 2 mile section of road where the water comes from that feeds our Lake would be flooded-it was. However there was a dip, perhaps 20 feet long in the road I had planned to take and wasn't sure how deep it was! Had to turn around on a narrow road. Finally by trail and error used some of the cross streets and found a safe was home!

The C7 is not a bottom breather like some recent prior Vettes BUT the air filter is in between the passenger inner fender well and an inside panel in the engine compartment. Estimate the filter bottom is ~8 inches above the ground. Fording even that amount and certainly more much more and you'll hydraulic!

The steering in the C7 is electric and sites even lower but assume GM has the parts sealed from water. If I were the OP, I'd tell her no more than 5/6 inches. If they got by with 8 they were pushing their luck, IMO!

But is his wife supposed to get a ruler and walk thorough the 20 feet of flooded section, measure and call out mark twain? :lol:

azmusclecar 07-16-2017 01:27 PM

May require some modding but there is an answer to the engine submersion issue.........

https://www.extremeterrain.com/omix-...7D&XTID=J13274

WelderGuy 07-16-2017 01:30 PM

Good luck with expecting your wife to be able to measure or accurately estimate the depth of the water on the road from the driver's seat.

Glenmcp 07-16-2017 01:50 PM

Move or do not drive through flooded streets. I am not sure what help you are going to get here.