CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-forced-induction-nitrous-173/)
-   -   Bringing boost lower down the rpm range (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-forced-induction-nitrous/4016037-bringing-boost-lower-down-the-rpm-range.html)

Kazman1960 07-17-2017 08:41 AM

Bringing boost lower down the rpm range

Good day all . Not sure if this subject has been discussed before so here goes . I have a 2015 Z06 , love the car and the power . The car was making 605 rwhp and I think 590 rwt when some mods were done last year , this year , I went with the pro charger set up with Alky . Car now makes 760 rwhp and around 615 rwt , however , the power now comes on way further in the rpm band , as in above 4000 rpm . So the question is , is there a way to cheat the system to bring that power down to start at say 2000 rpm ?

schpenxel 07-17-2017 11:41 AM

ECS uses a smaller pulley and restrictor plate to help do this but not sure if it'd work well in this application or not. Smaller pulley = more boost earlier, restrictor plate limits airflow up top.

Overall that's just how it is with centri setups, boost increases w/RPM

Kazman1960 07-17-2017 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by schpenxel (Post 1595161935)
ECS uses a smaller pulley and restrictor plate to help do this but not sure if it'd work well in this application or not. Smaller pulley = more boost earlier, restrictor plate limits airflow up top.

Overall that's just how it is with centri setups, boost increases w/RPM

Yeah , I had a centri on my 97 cobra , that was the same ,all high rpm,s , I like the idea of the smaller pulley and restrictor plate . I wonder if its available for Pro charger F1A set up ?

schpenxel 07-17-2017 12:27 PM

No clue, I don't know much about Prochargers. Perhaps someone else will know.

FlatPlaneCrankDreams 07-17-2017 01:22 PM

Down in the 2k range isn't going to be possible. Don't know why you would want to be flooring at 2k either.

The next best best thing without raising peak power is to look at something similar to the " Beefcake Torque Booster" that the Mustang guys use. Along with a smaller pulley.

FYREANT 07-17-2017 04:39 PM

You want power down low? Downgrade to a smaller head unit. Thats about the only way..

Kazman1960 07-17-2017 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by mesparza (Post 1595162765)
Down in the 2k range isn't going to be possible. Don't know why you would want to be flooring at 2k either.

The next best best thing without raising peak power is to look at something similar to the " Beefcake Torque Booster" that the Mustang guys use. Along with a smaller pulley.

Thanks , I checked that out , something like that is exactly what I was thinking about , it shifts the power band lower down the rpm range .

BrunoTheMellow 07-19-2017 05:28 AM

How are you even able to get traction? The only gear that will go that low would be 1st. Every other gear shifts above 4k rpm even short shifting. At your power levels, a torque curve leaning to the upper RPMs is actually helpful. If you wanted torque at 2k rpm, should have stuck to the overspun heat pump.

Kazman1960 07-19-2017 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow (Post 1595175194)
How are you even able to get traction? The only gear that will go that low would be 1st. Every other gear shifts above 4k rpm even short shifting. At your power levels, a torque curve leaning to the upper RPMs is actually helpful. If you wanted torque at 2k rpm, should have stuck to the overspun heat pump.

Good point , however , you need to look at the torque curves on the Dyno s to see what I mean , another good point is the overspun heat pump issue . While I didn't see the dreaded overheating issue , I think it was only a matter of time while exploring bolt ons . If Whipple had released their blower , I may have gone with that . The pro charger is a great unit , I just want a little more torque coming off idle , that's all :thumbs:

blown81bu 07-19-2017 12:05 PM

what pulley u using and what blower?

DOUG @ ECS 07-19-2017 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kazman1960 (Post 1595162201)
Yeah , I had a centri on my 97 cobra , that was the same ,all high rpm,s , I like the idea of the smaller pulley and restrictor plate . I wonder if its available for Pro charger F1A set up ?

The restrictor plate is only good in a small window. It would not work well on an F1X build in my experience. The IAT's out way the TQ increase.

On a low boost car, stock type build it has a small window off efficiency where the tq gain overcomes the IAT difference and it works great, not so much on big boost though.

robert miller 07-27-2017 12:23 PM

ttt

Which prochg f head unit do you have on the car has to be from coming on in that rpm range. Man I loved the F1X set up I had on the c5 you don't have to paddle the dam car as much from 4,k rpm & up are I didn't. It was hell paddle the crap out of it at the lower rpm range if that right foot got the least bet heavy back tires start to smoke.:ack::ack: Robert

Kazman1960 07-27-2017 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by robert miller (Post 1595232451)
Which prochg f head unit do you have on the car has to be from coming on in that rpm range. Man I loved the F1X set up I had on the c5 you don't have to paddle the dam car as much from 4,k rpm & up are I didn't. It was hell paddle the crap out of it at the lower rpm range if that right foot got the least bet heavy back tires start to smoke.:ack::ack: Robert

I have the F1A set up , its got whatever the pulley size shipped from factory set up on it . Like i said , boost in the higher RPM range is not the issue as it comes on like crazy above 3500 / 4000 , its the torque thats missing from a PD type blower from say 2000 rpm .

robert miller 07-27-2017 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kazman1960 (Post 1595233112)
I have the F1A set up , its got whatever the pulley size shipped from factory set up on it . Like i said , boost in the higher RPM range is not the issue as it comes on like crazy above 3500 / 4000 , its the torque thats missing from a PD type blower from say 2000 rpm .

I understand what you are saying here also but like all boosted systems that are made. Each has its on good and bad points on them that is what it is. But like some have said above, you may be able to play with this are that & get the unit to do a little diff but you will be giving up something else in a diff part of the unit working like it was made to do.

I love the way the F1X & F1A comes in on these cars. I didn't have to paddle the car no were like I did the small blowers.

Plus to me the all the top mount blower for a race car are track car is a waste of time and money. Just a toy now for the street only to smoke the tires off of you can beat a top mounted blower.

If you look at a lot of the guys in here that do track time that bought Z06 car. They have pulled to top blower off and went front mount blower set up for more RWHP & TQ. plus not all of the boost over with by 3,k to 3500 rpm & no more in the car.