CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   2017 Grand Sport Gas Fill Up (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4016144-2017-grand-sport-gas-fill-up.html)

2017_BlackRoseGS 07-17-2017 12:47 PM

2017 Grand Sport Gas Fill Up

I did some searching but came up empty handed so sorry if it's been asked to death and I did bad searches.

Went to fill up the car (probably the 3rd or 4th time) and this time it would only fill up very slowly. Basically took 10 minutes to fill up. Any one else having this issue and if so, I suppose this is a dealer trip?

Thanks.

Gvnski 07-17-2017 01:06 PM

Gas

Sometimes you have to adjust the position of the nozzle in the filler hole. Some people also have had to turn the nozzle completely up side down.
Known issue but no fix except as stated above.

drs 07-17-2017 01:10 PM

Was the last experience at the same gas stations as your earlier fills? Some gas stations pumps have slight variations that can cause a slow fill.

2017_BlackRoseGS 07-17-2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by drs (Post 1595162688)
Was the last experience at the same gas stations as your earlier fills? Some gas stations pumps have slight variations that can cause a slow fill.

This last time was the only time it has done it. I need to find some time to drive it again and try the station I normally use. Just hoping it's a freak thing and just have to make a mental note not to use that station.

NSC5 07-17-2017 01:15 PM

With some stations turning the nozzle 180 degrees (upside down from normal position) is needed to avoid tripping its fill sensor. I have had to do this a few times while traveling with my 2016 Z06.

On edit I see Gvnski posted the correct answer first! :cheers:

Hopper12 07-17-2017 01:32 PM

I used to turn the nozzle upside down to help with this, but I don't any longer - - one time it didn't shut off and pumped gas all over the side of my C7 (and this was after successfully using the 'upside down method' for probably 20 fill ups). Luckily I was there and shut it off manually, but I got gas on my pants and shoes too.

I also stopped this from happening on a Mustang - the owner had gone into the gas store and left the pump running and it was spilling all over the car/ground. I ran over and shut it off. He also had it in upside down for the same reason.

Now I just adjust the pump nozzle out a little and it usually works really well.

Just a word of caution - if you do the upside down method, make sure you stick around and don't leave it. :cheers:

iclick 07-17-2017 02:01 PM

I've filled a total of 12X so far on my GS and have had this trouble 3X, The first time I had to rotate the nozzle 180° to get it to fill at an acceptable pace, a method I recalled reading about here. Yesterday it happened two of four fill-ups on my way back from a trip and no angle method worked. The first it was sensitive for a short time, then started to act normally. The last time no method worked, so and it took me quite a while to fill. It was at a station I frequent often but not that particular pump.

I've had this problem sporadically on other cars that I attributed to clogged pump filters, or whatever, so my recent observations may not be the fault of the car. In the past I've noticed that pulling the nozzle out a bit may help, but that didn't help with any of the instances with the GS. So I'm still on the fence with this problem, not yet ready to blame it on a manufacturing or engineering defect, as if so I would think it would happen more often.

Krenath 07-17-2017 02:15 PM

I've noticed the need for this on pumps that don't just have the spring around the nozzle, but also have some sort of metal retainer holding the spring in place.

Every time I've encountered one of these, I've gotten barely a gallon before giving up and driving elsewhere.

Rebel Yell 07-17-2017 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hopper12 (Post 1595162848)
Now I just adjust the pump nozzle out a little and it usually works really well.

Just a word of caution - if you do the upside down method, make sure you stick around and don't leave it. :cheers:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. :cheers:

Works for me every time.

PryOpenUr3rdEye 07-17-2017 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2017_BlackRoseGS (Post 1595162704)
This last time was the only time it has done it. I need to find some time to drive it again and try the station I normally use. Just hoping it's a freak thing and just have to make a mental note not to use that station.

Basic Corvette protocol at this point.

Never an issue with my C5, but when I got the C6 it was... and now it has carried over to the 7.

Thunder22 07-17-2017 02:38 PM

Another public service announcement while gassing up:

Close your drivers side window and keep the drivers door closed.

If the nozzle kicks hard enough (especially if turned 180*) it can splash gas into the car if the window is down or door open.

I learned this the hard way on my BMW X5 diesel a few years ago. The moron gas jockey (i was in jersey) sprayed the entire side of the car with diesel and if I had the windows open, it would have doused the interior.

So just a suggested PSA.

snow 07-17-2017 02:39 PM

Total PIA and I have noticed that it happens at all the Chevrons that I visit but funny thing it never happens at the Costco pumps...

Thunder22 07-17-2017 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by snow (Post 1595163366)
Total PIA and I have noticed that it happens at all the Chevrons that I visit but funny thing it never happens at the Costco pumps...

It happens all the time at Costco for me. But they're getting new pumps soon, so maybe it's an age thing.

snow 07-17-2017 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1595163392)
It happens all the time at Costco for me. But they're getting new pumps soon, so maybe it's an age thing.

the Costco I use is relatively new may be that is it.

tcinla 07-17-2017 04:09 PM

Due to an improper seal between the pump and the gas tank opening, I can never set the pump to auto. It goes for 5 seconds or so then releases.

The solution was to turn the pump hand almost upside down and rest it on the gas door. Fills automatically every time now. I guess that either improves the seal or removes the effect of not having a proper seal.

TEXHAWK0 07-17-2017 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by tcinla (Post 1595164065)
Due to an improper seal between the pump and the gas tank opening, I can never set the pump to auto. It goes for 5 seconds or so then releases.

The solution was to turn the pump hand almost upside down and rest it on the gas door. Fills automatically every time now. I guess that either improves the seal or removes the effect of not having a proper seal.

Have you ever had the pump not shut off as others have said?

Apocolips 07-17-2017 05:05 PM

What's the difference between the fill ports of the 2017 Grand Sport and the 2014 Stingray? I never had a problem with my Stingray, everything worked as designed.

Power Hawk 07-17-2017 05:11 PM

My 2016 Stingray does the same thing. I usually have to turn nozzle sideways in order to continue fill up.

TXshaggy 07-17-2017 05:12 PM

5000 miles on my 2016Z and never experienced it yet. It has happened on previous cars where I just backed out the nozzle a little or turned the nozzle around...I never go back to stations where I experience this.

MHE-Plex 07-17-2017 05:52 PM

As some others have said, upside down did it for me. Only had the problem once though.