CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous-123/)
-   -   Anybody have any issues with darton sleeved block? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous/4017649-anybody-have-any-issues-with-darton-sleeved-block.html)

Richie333 07-20-2017 04:20 PM

Anybody have any issues with darton sleeved block?

has anybody had any issues with a RED darton sleeved block? Getting ready to send mine out and just wanted some input. I was reading on the erl sleeved blocks and seen some people had some problems. Would it be better to just buy a lsx block? And what would be the cost of that? Any of suggestions I would appreciate them.
Thanks 👍

silver408z 07-20-2017 10:27 PM

Another option is the Dart LS SHP block. Its below their LS next block in grade but equivalent to the LSX block. Its actually a little cheaper than the LSX block and requires less machine work to prep. Lots of other stuff already done to it.

Richie333 07-21-2017 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by silver408z (Post 1595188487)
Another option is the Dart LS SHP block. Its below their LS next block in grade but equivalent to the LSX block. Its actually a little cheaper than the LSX block and requires less machine work to prep. Lots of other stuff already done to it.

is the SHP aluminum or iron? And does it need a lot of extra stuff to put into the z06? I almost bought a ls next but I know it needs a different oil plan or adapters at the least and a few other things and I didn't want to get into that.

C5 Pete 07-21-2017 06:50 PM

I believe Texas Speed sells sleeved blocks too. Worth a phone call.

ChrisG23 07-22-2017 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Richie333 (Post 1595186318)
has anybody had any issues with a RED darton sleeved block? Getting ready to send mine out and just wanted some input. I was reading on the erl sleeved blocks and seen some people had some problems. Would it be better to just buy a lsx block? And what would be the cost of that? Any of suggestions I would appreciate them.
Thanks 👍

Now I am coming from a completely different platform, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Darton sleeves are the gold standard (at least for this other platform). If I were you, my main concern would be the machine shop installing them properly.

silver408z 07-22-2017 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Richie333 (Post 1595189261)
is the SHP aluminum or iron? And does it need a lot of extra stuff to put into the z06? I almost bought a ls next but I know it needs a different oil plan or adapters at the least and a few other things and I didn't want to get into that.

The SHP block does not require all those things. It is skirted and works with the factory oil pan. They make an iron and aluminum version. The aluminum is some crazy price. I did not think you were worried about iron since you mentioned the lsx block.

Richie333 07-22-2017 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by silver408z (Post 1595197968)
The SHP block does not require all those things. It is skirted and works with the factory oil pan. They make an iron and aluminum version. The aluminum is some crazy price. I did not think you were worried about iron since you mentioned the lsx block.

yeah im not really too worried, I just want a solid motor. I'm defiantly adding boost later so the extra weight isn't a big deal I can make it up with that. That block runs the same internals as the ls7 correct?

silver408z 07-22-2017 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Richie333 (Post 1595198157)
yeah im not really too worried, I just want a solid motor. I'm defiantly adding boost later so the extra weight isn't a big deal I can make it up with that. That block runs the same internals as the ls7 correct?

I do not know everything about it sorry. My engine is a SHP block and the Dart center weighted billet crank. The dart crank is another nice piece for the features and price point. Blownbluez06 is doing my build. I know its a 4.125 bore and 4.00 stroke and makes a 427. Heads are mast black label 305s and topped with a F1R for now. Maybe an X later.