CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   REAL racer on ebay (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4020408-real-racer-on-ebay.html)

The13Bats 07-26-2017 06:58 PM

REAL racer on ebay

I was hit when i saw this one, with all my interest turning my 69 into an old school road race theme car,

I love survivors and history and just wow!

I imagine sitting for hours looking at all the coolness this car did, the places its been my 69, hah. Might have driven to a drive in and a couple discos,

Okay, out of my price range my poser wanna be racer looking car will have to do.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/332313677811?_...49&_mwBanner=1

jr9170 07-26-2017 07:21 PM

The seller is a forum member

'75 07-26-2017 08:18 PM

Not far from me, I would love to go see it. Can't afford it, but it would be cool to have a look.

ddawson 07-26-2017 09:27 PM

Looks like redvetracr car.

'75 07-26-2017 09:31 PM

That's what I was guessing. Been to his place once, but I didn't know he had that car.

The13Bats 07-26-2017 09:38 PM

doh, really?
lol, now I feel super stupid....:leaving:

Rky Mtn C6 07-27-2017 09:55 AM

Wonder why there are no photos of the actual car. :confused:

Snoopysvet 07-27-2017 12:10 PM

I wonder where the original motor is?

TCracingCA 07-27-2017 01:57 PM

I have the story of the two real OC C3 racers and the phony one where that Owner basically was endorsed my the In Crowd, Secret Circle and then that Owner Greg was forced to make it know his wasn't real! I can see if I can dig that up! Redvetr (Nevada Budd car) had the real deal cars! The story was called Wolf in Sheep Clothing or something like that!

Now we just need the real L88 car owner of Curt Wetzel racer to show up and set this straight on this car as was needed the last time! I have some stuff on that car! I guess that's why it is only selling for 150k as undocumented claimed cars do sell for less, if it even sells at all with its great "claimed German competition career"! I should just contact FIA again and get info on that Wetzel entrant!

Kid Vette 07-27-2017 03:24 PM

Redvetracr's car in action

The SVRA Vintage GT Challenge at Road America on May 14-16, 2004.

The Number 11 car later in the series of pics is the phony car.

Black 03 Z06 07-27-2017 03:36 PM

Kid Vette nice pics.

Very cool race car that would be nice in the garage.

TCracingCA 07-28-2017 06:35 AM

On that Corvette Race Registry

They have this #23 car's claimed history identical with another car claimed to be the #11 Gernan racer! And all of this claimed authentication by Delorenzo himself! Delorenzo can spin some stories, I have asked him things directly on more than one occasion about his cars! But he is a historic Corvette guy, not a good historian so I will cut him a break!

redvetracr 07-28-2017 09:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TCracingCA (Post 1595237829)
On that Corvette Race Registry

They have this #23 car's claimed history identical with another car claimed to be the #11 Gernan racer! And all of this claimed authentication by Delorenzo himself! Delorenzo can spin some stories, I have asked him things directly on more than one occasion about his cars! But he is a historic Corvette guy, not a good historian so I will cut him a break!

I typed out and answered everyones questions and when I went to post it I lost it, the #23 below is the Curt Wetzel blue/white/purple car repainted by second owner former Canadian Porsche dealer Cam Champion, see those white Minilite wheels? two years ago I rescued them from a machine shed up past the Wisconsin Dells. the Wetzel car is a real O-C team built car, the replica TC speaks of is a car built in 1989 (the O-C team was done racing by 1972) by Greg Seifert for Tony Delorenzo to race at Waterford Hills MI, also the car Tony raced briefly at the Corvette 50th anniversary at Monterey, former owner of the two cars the O-C team raced, Reno NV stock broker Budd Hickey had his lawyer threaten to sue both Tony and Greg Seifert if they called the Seifert replica a real O-C car, Hickey has a letter from Seiferts attorney where Seifert calls the car nothing more than a "contemporary replica", after Monterey Seifert sold the car (with a BS story) to a guy from NJ named Mark I. who threatened to sue me but was shut down rather quickly, the Ebay/Wetzel car is only selling for $150K because neither Tony or Jerry Thompson ever raced it, it was built by the O-C team from a recovered theft Tony got from Don Yenko, it got the third roll cage Tony had bent up by Logghe Stamping in Mi and painted that psychedelic blue/white/purple by O-C team member and GM styling engineer Randy Wittine, so while the car raced in Germany with an L-88 we will never know what motor it was built with, just like the $1.1 Million dollar car Rick Hendrick bought that was built from parts the O-C team took off the line at GM and assembled in Jerry Thompsons garage it raced with an L-88 but wasn`t born with an L-88. the Wetzel car comes with period on track pics courtesy of Curt Wetzel, race results from the German ADAC (the adac in Germany is like the SCCA here) some period articles a SCCA log book and an unbroken ownership chain from Tony Delorenzo to me or actually the two little girls on the golf cart in the last ebay pic...

redvetracr 07-28-2017 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kid Vette (Post 1595233824)
Redvetracr's car in action

The SVRA Vintage GT Challenge at Road America on May 14-16, 2004.

The Number 11 car later in the series of pics is the phony car.

correct the #11 is the Greg Seifert built replica, Seifert claimed it was built from old O-C parts, what are old O-C parts when everything you have came from GM? the frame he said, I responded with so your telling me the frame was bent bad enough to replace but good enough to keep for 20yrs especially when you consider what a Corvette frame was worth in 1969?? total silence! in a later interview Tony did with Wayne Elwood from the registry Tont said to build that car they used a new frame...case closed

TCracingCA 07-28-2017 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by redvetracr (Post 1595238688)
I typed out and answered everyones questions and when I went to post it I lost it, the #23 below is the Curt Wetzel blue/white/purple car repainted by second owner former Canadian Porsche dealer Cam Champion, see those white Minilite wheels? two years ago I rescued them from a machine shed up past the Wisconsin Dells. the Wetzel car is a real O-C team built car, the replica TC speaks of is a car built in 1989 (the O-C team was done racing by 1972) by Greg Seifert for Tony Delorenzo to race at Waterford Hills MI, also the car Tony raced briefly at the Corvette 50th anniversary at Monterey, former owner of the two cars the O-C team raced, Reno NV stock broker Budd Hickey had his lawyer threaten to sue both Tony and Greg Seifert if they called the Seifert replica a real O-C car, Hickey has a letter from Seiferts attorney where Seifert calls the car nothing more than a "contemporary replica", after Monterey Seifert sold the car (with a BS story) to a guy from NJ named Mark I. who threatened to sue me but was shut down rather quickly, the Ebay/Wetzel car is only selling for $150K because neither Tony or Jerry Thompson ever raced it, it was built by the O-C team from a recovered theft Tony got from Don Yenko, it got the third roll cage Tony had bent up by Logghe Stamping in Mi and painted that psychedelic blue/white/purple by O-C team member and GM styling engineer Randy Wittine, so while the car raced in Germany with an L-88 we will never know what motor it was built with, just like the $1.1 Million dollar car Rick Hendrick bought that was built from parts the O-C team took off the line at GM and assembled in Jerry Thompsons garage it raced with an L-88 but wasn`t born with an L-88. the Wetzel car comes with period on track pics courtesy of Curt Wetzel, race results from the German ADAC (the adac in Germany is like the SCCA here) some period articles a SCCA log book and an unbroken ownership chain from Tony Delorenzo to me or actually the two little girls on the golf cart in the last ebay pic...

I do need to remember the first names of you guys! I get stuck on your handles! But thanks Redvetr, you are the guy I would believe! So the other car on the Registry needs to get removed technically to fix having two cars posted with the same story. I have been with my Father at a Corvette show, back in the day parked next to Budd from Nevada and talked to him, not about any of this car trading and ownership, but about the Owen Corning stuff. I was at Monterey getting a guided tour of the #11 car built, from Tony Delorenzo! I know something about the European German Wetzel racer. I don't have the Wetzel car coming back to our shores back in the day, to race measly SCCA. The story doesn't mesh, that with all of the platforms and how cheap, and the modernization of body styles happening in the racing organizations and such that some local guys would become the customers of a racer being sold out of Germany. Heck the transportation costs alone would not have made that a good deal! Ya right I say (not being disrespectful) but a couple of guys searching the globe back in the mid 70s, for the best Corvette racers or an OC racer! I have the Wetzel racer in some information as a GM export L88, and then this Yenko wreck buildup! Essentially another case where it is only Wetzel's story or word. Nothing concrete like a document or bill of sale with Vin, or any tangible evidence (just hearsay), and yeah he has some race standings like me (whoopee, I have all of those too!), and old pictures!

I am not going to tear into this one, as I ultimately chose not to on the last couple publically. And if Redvetr says anything is so, I say I am good!

TCracingCA 07-28-2017 02:45 PM

The problem that I do have with all of these high end restoration shops and such is that during the process of bringin these cars back, they get posted with no VIN information. These shops have the capability to get to the frame numbers, but they don't want to on a bunch of the phony cars, because the FIA still retains records that someone might one day access, that has the entry application! Therefore then you have some guy with a punch set of numbers and a hammer, to match SCCA records. And in the case of the Delorenzo cars, and like Greenwood, they would enter under their own build given Number. But all of these guys with these have that frame. Then sometimes things happened with the frames as above in the story.

Like the James Dean Porsche Spyder

One guy has the engine, so his is the real car!
One guy has the transmission, so his is the real car!
And the last guy has the paperwork, so his car is the real car!

I chased down some Ferrari chassis numbers back in the early 1990s by working with the FIA. I might dust off my bad French and get us all of the Vins or how the cars were entered. The one OC car (former DX racer), would have been entered under its Vin for Daytona. The next race under the OC team number! But maybe Delorenzo wrote it in on the submittal form! Maybe if I ever end up with nothing better to do, I will scare some of these famous car Owners with the real Vins, but then they would probably never let anyone like me near that frame Vin anyways!

amtronic1 07-28-2017 02:46 PM

clear picture courtesy of Google image search.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...189b750516.jpg

:eek:

TCracingCA 07-28-2017 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by amtronic1 (Post 1595241071)
clear picture courtesy of Google image search.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...189b750516.jpg

:eek:

Tony Delorenzo must have had his preferred side headers on back order? :eek::eek::eek::smash::smash::smash::lol ::lol::lol: Darn it, the story is looking bad!

Kid Vette 07-28-2017 03:21 PM

Or is the Curt Wetzel racer this car? :D

dmaxx3500 07-28-2017 03:32 PM

cool car,great forum member