CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Replace or repair cracked wheel...? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/4020697-replace-or-repair-cracked-wheel.html)

NavyBlue2 07-27-2017 11:51 AM

Replace or repair cracked wheel...?

My wife's 2015 Mercedes E400 has 18" AMG wheels (8.5" fronts, 9.5" rears), now with 22,500 miles, on with horrible potholed-ridden Houston streets.

She went Discount Tires to check front right wheel which has a slow leak of a few psi from the tire. They said it has a half inch hairline crack on inside lip, tire is fine; Replacement OEM AMG wheel is approx $1100 new or $900 used.

Discount Tires then recommended a full set replacement of 4 aftermarket wheels (so MB emblem can be salvaged onto new wheels) at $232 each ($1050 after all install, tmps, etc...)

I probably have the same problem on my 2014 C7 vert, since one tire also has a very slow leak, about 1psi/wk.
I've replaced a full set of wheels (approx $2K) on my C5 vert years ago.

So, can these wheels be safely repaired?
Or must be replaced?

Thoughts...?
Thanks,

Kent1999 07-27-2017 12:00 PM

I'd never be comfortable with a non-superficial crack that had been repaired. Goes double if it were on my wife's car.

I'd go with a new wheel. You could also check with your insurance company about payment -- I know with my company, that kind of damage from "hitting something on the road" is a covered event. Depending on your deductible, it might be worthwhile to make a claim.

robert miller 07-27-2017 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kent1999 (Post 1595232303)
I'd never be comfortable with a non-superficial crack that had been repaired. Goes double if it were on my wife's car.

I'd go with a new wheel. You could also check with your insurance company about payment -- I know with my company, that kind of damage from "hitting something on the road" is a covered event. Depending on your deductible, it might be worthwhile to make a claim.

:iagree: Only if I was going to be racing the car are if it seeing really high speeds in it. This day and time IF you get a good place to do the repair correct you will be good. But if that hair line crack is not & gets bigger on a track are at high speeds I just wouldn't want to be in the car at that point :ack:. Robert

Glenn Quagmire 07-27-2017 01:03 PM

Replace

dvilin 07-27-2017 01:13 PM

Why take a chance, I would replace it.

White Out 07-27-2017 01:23 PM

Stop driving and replace.

I've had three barrel failures this year. It is not fun.

ersatz928 07-27-2017 02:30 PM

Replace it with new OEM....it is a safety item.

Glenmcp 07-27-2017 02:58 PM

Replace is the only good option.

68ragtop69 07-28-2017 04:36 PM

I would definitely check with your insurance company to see if it's something they cover. Depending on your deductible, it may be worth it to make a claim. Road Hazard claims don't seem to affect my insurance rates.

C6_Racer_X 07-30-2017 01:14 PM

$900 for a used wheel? Even for that car, that's outrageous.

I'll sell you one for $750 and deliver it in person.

But seriously, $300-$450 plus reasonable shipping is about right for a good condition (A or B+ grade) used wheel for that car. It's the 10 spoke (5 pairs) 18x8.5, right? Check http://www.car-part.com/ for options.

And to answer your question, replace with equivalent quality OE (used, but good condition) wheel.

Racer86 07-30-2017 09:06 PM

Replace it. Not worth the effort to repair a crack.
Grind out the crack
Preheat the rim
Weld using front and back gas chamber
Post heat
Machine rim back to rough tolerance
Re heat treat to original spec.
Final machine work to spec dimensions .
Balance it, check for out of round and trueness.
Or take it to some guy that says he can weld it all up and grind it to look really cool.:ack: