CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Jeep Renegade...buy it? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/4022067-jeep-renegade-buy-it.html)

Junglepeanut 07-30-2017 06:10 PM

Jeep Renegade...buy it?

The CRV is getting into the mileage range where we are constantly fixing things and on my cars I am fine with that. Onnthe wifes I need to know she can just make her commute to work daily and drive to soCal when needed.
So a new car with new car warranty is what we need.

Budget is obviously very little since we are looking at renegades. And we want the good MPG due to weekly 400 miles each way trips on weekend and 20 mike work commute each day.

She wants SUV. She likes the look.

Do any of you have one? Have an opinion on it or a suitable other option?

She doesn't like Rogue, Outlander, etc look. If a Wrangler was in the budget we would get it instead but it is definitely not.

J3TVETTE 07-30-2017 10:26 PM

Have you considered a Subaru? I know you said she wants an SUV but it is definitely a great vehicle for all weather conditions.

I know that a Renegade has had hit or miss reliability. Many have had transmission issues and other serious issues. I have owned a few JKU Wranglers so far and would say if you could swing it it would definitely be a more suitable vehicle. The JKU's hold their value VERY well and many people get in trade in more than they paid for the vehicle new due to incentives. I paid 26XXX+ taxes and fees for a brand new Wrangler 4 door with bluetooth, automatic etc 4 door 2 years ago.

How does she feel about the Honda CRV, Mazda CX5, Honda HRV?

Junglepeanut 07-30-2017 10:50 PM

Thanks. The Subarus are better but the price is higher being better.
Wrangler is out of our range.

She has the CRV and loved it but wants a change. She really wants this car at a low price so in a few years of saving we can get her a dream SUV (lake Range Rover or Landcruiser etc)

HRV is in her thoughts but looks like a baby CRV so she... wants different.
I like the Mazda also but she hasn't said no but the look is it's not going to be the one.

Thanks for your input on reliability I didn't know. But now did more research and see some.

I am going to take her to the Subaru dealership even with it out of our range and see if any incentives.

That being said she may get it in her mind she wants the renegade and that will be the one

J3TVETTE 07-30-2017 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Junglepeanut (Post 1595255447)
Thanks. The Subarus are better but the price is higher being better.
Wrangler is out of our range.

She has the CRV and loved it but wants a change. She really wants this car at a low price so in a few years of saving we can get her a dream SUV (lake Range Rover or Landcruiser etc)

HRV is in her thoughts but looks like a baby CRV so she... wants different.
I like the Mazda also but she hasn't said no but the look is it's not going to be the one.

Thanks for your input on reliability I didn't know. But now did more research and see some.

I am going to take her to the Subaru dealership even with it out of our range and see if any incentives.

That being said she may get it in her mind she wants the renegade and that will be the one

Totally understandable! Some people just got lemons does not mean your renegade will be. I actually kind of like how they look and I have heard they are pretty impressive offroad. I saw their price happens to be below 20k and that is a steal. Are you considering only the 4WD renegade or looking at a FWD renegade?

Patsgarage 07-30-2017 11:12 PM

Lease one maybe, but no way would I buy one. Too many issues with the trans (nine speeds, really ?), electronics, Fiat history of reliability. With the miles you will be driving maybe look into a Chevy Cruze diesel, or maybe even an Equinox diesel ? If it is just temporary transport then maybe you can talk her into something else besides the Renegade.

Junglepeanut 07-31-2017 02:35 AM

Thanks. She is totally out on cars. Really wants a SUV and the renegades we are looking at are in the 16K range. FWD because she won't use the 4wd. I should state we have an Excursion with 4WD for camping etc.

Leasing with our mileage usage is kind of not an option. We would easily put 40K mikes a year on whatever we have.

On the transmission issues and reliability pointed out by both of you I am finding more and more on issues but then I started comparing the others in the same price range (cheap) and they are all equivalent. Honda HRV and Oddly the equinox stand out with better reliability but the equinox requires buying used which means some of the warranty mileage already used up.
I have tried the "it's temp let's get a reliable car for this" but it's her daily and she is like me. Has to be what I want if I spend so much time in it. That's why the Corvettes the daily for me.

She loves the look when it's given a small
Amount of lift but it's all looks for her. She doesn't actually need the lift.

Really appreciate the help guys. Once she gets back to SoCal on her "weekend" she will test drive the top three on our list and probably buy same day. So knowing everything in advance is really helping us.
This forum is amazing and reminds me of only the best forums I have ever been on.

J3TVETTE 07-31-2017 09:05 AM

If her mind is made up then there is nothing you can do. LOL We all know women!

I saw the skyroof option available on some Renegades, very impressive.

Junglepeanut 08-02-2017 12:22 AM

Yeah. Last night while discussing it was obvious her mind was made.
We're searching for best deal now.

IMXCITD 08-03-2017 05:58 PM

mmmmm.....don't do it...you will both be sad. Stick w Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Subaru, Mazda....etc.

Thought about an older MDX, RX350 etc? Spend more up front and enjoy less problems down the road. :yesnod:

nethole 08-05-2017 07:39 AM

You wrote: "The CRV is getting into the mileage range where we are constantly fixing things "

so you're thinking of getting a Jeep instead? https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Yah, you might want to rethink that logic . . .

Junglepeanut 08-05-2017 09:18 PM

At this price point they are all pretty equal (18K out the door). You need to go up enough thousands of dollars to make a difference and when this is a temp car until she can transfer back south it's not worth arguing to change her mind.

Ie woman choice is right
It will still be in warranty anyways before we get rid of it compared to crv which lasted almost ten years.

I even showed her the rollover stat and the cute Jalopnik videos of the rear end lifting under breaking.... she was like cool now I can do endos like you used too. Her mind is made up :)