CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Need a "How to" (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4023541-need-a-how-to.html)

Subfixer 08-02-2017 05:25 PM

Need a "How to"

Ok guys and gals, I have an early 64 and need to remove the pinion mount from the differential.
The two front bolts are easy. The rear attachment is a long bolt that goes through the differential case.
Attempting to remove it results in the bolt contacting the floor pan about halfway out.
How do I get that bolt out without dropping the diff or raising the body?

pop23235 08-02-2017 05:39 PM

Short answer: you won't.
You can release the crossmember with the two hockey pucks and drop the diff. Other obvious parts need to be removed/disconnected first, like the spring.

rccarson 08-02-2017 05:46 PM

:iagree:

MikeM 08-02-2017 05:47 PM

Try a long pry bar and see if you can pull the differential down and remove the bolt.

Tmichaelson 08-02-2017 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1595276592)
Try a long pry bar and see if you can pull the differential down and remove the bolt.

Not sure if the 64' is the same configuration as my 66' but I disconnected both of the inner half shafts universals from the differential and then pulled down the front of the differential. The long bolt JUST cleared when removed. Read somewhere that an option is drilling a hole in the side of the jack compartment to remove the bolt.

Subfixer 08-03-2017 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tmichaelson (Post 1595277972)
Not sure if the 64' is the same configuration as my 66' but I disconnected both of the inner half shafts universals from the differential and then pulled down the front of the differential. The long bolt JUST cleared when removed. Read somewhere that an option is drilling a hole in the side of the jack compartment to remove the bolt.

I can give that a try.
Trying to avoid the "hole in the jack compartment" scenario......

Tmichaelson 08-03-2017 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Subfixer (Post 1595285329)
I can give that a try.

Forgot to mention to put a wood spacer between the TOP of the front of the differential and the fiberglass bottom before you disconnect anything. This will keep the front of the differential from riding up when it's disconnected and be close to correct position to reconnect the maindrive shaft. Good Luck.

pop23235 08-04-2017 05:37 PM

I would yield to the experience of others here, but I'm not loosening anything till the energy is released from that spring!

Tmichaelson 08-04-2017 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by pop23235 (Post 1595292083)
I would yield to the experience of others here, but I'm not loosening anything till the energy is released from that spring!

You are CORRECT- I did have my leaf spring disconnected and the half shafts off because I was replacing my trailing arms.

GUSTO14 08-04-2017 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Subfixer (Post 1595285329)
I can give that a try.

One of the first jobs I did on my '63 after buying it in 1969 was to change out the rear end. When confronted with the same problem as the OP I decide to consult my "master-mechanic" Father. His response was, "son, just drill a hole in that body panel there and after you put the bolt back in, put a plastic body plug in the hole."

A while later I happened to be at a local Chevrolet dealer where I sourced all of my parts and asked if I could speak to their "Corvette" mechanic. A young guy not much older than myself came out and asked if he could help me. I asked him how he removed that same bolt. To which he remarked, "ah, there's a trick to it. First you have to drill a hole in the side of the jack compartment..." :D

GUSTO