CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Grand Sport Owners? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4025339-grand-sport-owners.html)

woodranch 08-06-2017 01:42 PM

Grand Sport Owners?

Hi GS owners. My question is that I have not completely opened up my GS yet. I still have doubts if I should have poneyed up the money for the ZO6. Do any of you now realize the Grand Sport is not powerful enough or are you completely satisfied with the power?. Not track rats, but daily drivers. Thanks for you comments in advance!:cheers:

Maxpowers 08-06-2017 01:59 PM

You'd be hard pressed to reach the limits of the LT1 as a DD.

dmhines 08-06-2017 02:02 PM

If its for daily driving how often do you spend your time at WOT or accelerating at a rate that necessitates 650 HP instead of 460 HP ? If you really wanted a Z06 but bought a GS to save money ..then you may never be happy with the GS. As for me ... I am fine with the power of my GS .... and if I want more power ... I would add an A&A Centri down the road.

The nice thing about a GS with a Centri instead of a Z06 with roots is initial traction. My GS gets squirrely and traction control kicks in with just 460HP if I accelerate too fast ... I can't imagine a z06 with all that low end HP and TQ .. it has to break loose quick! A GS with a Centri will start kicking in HP/TQ around 2800 PM ... so you keep whatever initial bite of traction you have before the boost kicks in.

koranke 08-06-2017 02:07 PM

Completely satisfied with my GS in terms of power, but then my prior car was a Honda Civic. I guess it depends on where and how you're driving. I live in an area with high traffic density nearby and wonderful twisty roads farther out. I'm more interested in handling characteristics than drag racing, and for that the GS is perfect. I've seen plenty of reviews that suggest the Z06 is overpowered for what the car can handle. You'll have more predictable fun in a GS.

oldC5 08-06-2017 02:14 PM

I am very happy for now!

village idiot 08-06-2017 02:18 PM

If it's not your daily driver AND it won't be seeing track time, get the Z06

If its your daily or you want to track it, get the Grand Sport

(coming from a GS owner)

Bmbl-Bee 08-06-2017 02:27 PM

For me the Grand Sport is perfect. Just the right amount of power to the wheels. Well balanced feeling and very responsive. The M7 tranny matches up to the mechanics of the G.S. perfectly. I think the G.S. will hold it's value better than other C7 models. If the C6 line-up is an indicator.

slimjimp 08-06-2017 02:36 PM

I now have 600 miles on my GS. I almost purchased a Z06 in the same color comb., and changed my mind midstream. I am very happy with my decision to go with the GS. It has more than enough power for me, and good gas millage besides.

joemessman 08-06-2017 02:47 PM

I think what you will find here with that question is that the folks that bought the Grand Sport would have not bought it if it wouldn't be enough for them. The others will rationalize their purchase and talk themselves into positive realm of satisfaction. I mean, what can they do at this point? Sell it and get the Z06? I don't think so for most.
I know I bought a Stingray and although it is a great car, I want more performance in a straight line and torque. So I'll be buying a Z06, swallowing my loss on the trade on and move on. But let's face it. There are a lot of valid reasons to buy one or the other. I just didn't do enough research.

iclick 08-06-2017 02:48 PM

For me the GS is a perfect balance for my performance aspirations, and more than enough power for every situation I've run across. It is neither a DD or track car, but if it were a DD I would feel the same way. From a safety standpoint I can't unleash the car's power for more than 1-2 sec. within 10-15 miles of my house, a suburban area where I do most of my driving, and even then it is not usually prudent to do so. From both practical and emotional standpoints it has never left me with a desire for more power, and gas mileage is better than a Z06 since it isn't hauling around the blower hardware at all times and compression is higher. What I have is a Z06 with a much more practical powertrain, IMO.

davepl 08-06-2017 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by woodranch (Post 1595303143)
Hi GS owners. My question is that I have not completely opened up my GS yet. I still have doubts if I should have poneyed up the money for the ZO6. Do any of you now realize the Grand Sport is not powerful enough or are you completely satisfied with the power?. Not track rats, but daily drivers. Thanks for you comments in advance!:cheers:

I'm a little confused by this kind of thing:

1) You haven't yet even floored the car to WOT
2) You're worried it might not have as much power as a Z06.

So here's the thing: it doesn't. But the GS is still a very powerful car, so it depends what you really want. If you want maximum power and are already itching to modify the car before you've even taken a trip to WOT, then you likely made a mistake and should have bought the Z.

But if you're looking for a great car that can rip off some sub-4 times zero to sixty, then you're in the right car.

In other words, it almost sounds like you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. Don't do that!

2cnd Chance 08-06-2017 04:40 PM

GS/Z07 M7 = 0-60 3.7

Z06/7 M7 = 0-60 3.3

A 0.4 Second difference, does that difference matter enough to you?

If you're a 1/4 mile guy the Z06 is the right tool. A track guy the GS/Z07 A DD?, either.

The Teknician 08-07-2017 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by koranke (Post 1595303293)
Completely satisfied with my GS in terms of power, but then my prior car was a Honda Civic. I guess it depends on where and how you're driving. I live in an area with high traffic density nearby and wonderful twisty roads farther out. I'm more interested in handling characteristics than drag racing, and for that the GS is perfect. I've seen plenty of reviews that suggest the Z06 is overpowered for what the car can handle. You'll have more predictable fun in a GS.

Lol. My daily driver was (and I guess still is when the weather is bad) a 2000 Civic Si w 160hp. A 300 HP jump was all I needed. Lol

woodsguy 08-07-2017 06:47 AM

Not that I need it but sometimes wish I had more.:crazy2:

LIStingray 08-07-2017 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance (Post 1595304162)
GS/Z07 M7 = 0-60 3.7
Z06/7 M7 = 0-60 3.3
A 0.4 Second difference, does that difference matter enough to you?
If you're a 1/4 mile guy the Z06 is the right tool. A track guy the GS/Z07 A DD?, either.

It is 0.4 second, and at least 0.2 of that is because with the GS you need to shift to get to 60 mph, while with the Z06 you don't.
As a DD, at least from 0-80 mph, the GS has pretty much all the power you can put down to the road unless you are running a Z07 pkg with the stickier tires or it is above 85 degrees: with the GS, you can just floor it and go, shifting at 6,000 rpms, while with the Z06 in 1st and 2nd, you need to either short shift or avoid full throttle to keep the tires from spinning (the main reason Z06 drivers get in trouble).
If you live in a place where the 80-150 mph speed range can be used in your daily drives, then the Z06 would be a better choice.

N2TU 08-07-2017 07:45 AM

Completely satisfied!////

:yesnod:

dbintegrity 08-07-2017 08:55 AM

I'm completely satisfied and if I wanted more power I'm sure I could add a couple of bolt ons to give me more....

village idiot 08-07-2017 09:05 AM

Z06 without cup tires seems silly to me. Why bother :lol:

pdiddy972 08-07-2017 09:19 AM

I found the issue. Find a nice open road with no intersections or traffic and run it fully through 1st and 2nd gear and then come back and report your findings (after you wipe the grin off your face with a crowbar).

Love my GS!

boofus1 08-07-2017 09:42 AM

I track my GS a few times a year-it's got more power than I know how to handle. On the street it's a complete overkill. The Z06, while an amazing car, is way more power than I could ever handle. Look at the Car & Driver results on VIR for both the Grand Sport & the Z06. There's only 3 seconds difference between the two cars.