CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Are most Chevy dealers competent enough to work on $100k Corvettes? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4027659-are-most-chevy-dealers-competent-enough-to-work-on-100k-corvettes.html)

Zo62018A8 08-11-2017 01:38 PM

Are most Chevy dealers competent enough to work on $100k Corvettes?

With the amount of posts I see on these forums and facebook pages about how the "Chevrolet Dealer" and not some mom n pop mechanic messed up their Corvette I have to wonder are most technicians employed at the average chevy dealer competent enough to work on z06 and other high end Corvettes. I understand most of these guys spend most of their time working on the Impalas, Malibus and the Silverados so maybe they just dont have enough experience with the Vettes and mess them up. I remember the guy with the 6 month old Z51 where they messed it up during a simple oil change. So do you look for Chevy dealers in your area that are more qualified when you take it in for service or warranty work to get done?

Kracka 08-11-2017 01:41 PM

Zero issues at the dealership I took courtesy delivery from 3 1/2 years ago. Find a service advisor you like and get along with well and go from there.

sgp99 08-11-2017 02:01 PM

Don't assume anything. The dealership can have several certified Corvette mechanics, but it doesn't matter if they are busy and another (non certified) mechanic is assigned to work on your car. I say this from experience. My first visit to the dealership did not go well. I checked the GM site for dealerships with certified mechanics and asked the service person at the desk if they had mechanics that have worked on Corvette GS. Unfortunately, I did not ask the question "who will work on my car?" "Is this mechanic certified?" The result was a young, inexperienced mechanic underfilled the oil by three quarts

JerryU 08-11-2017 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by desibaba (Post 1595340299)
With the amount of posts I see on these forums and facebook pages about how the "Chevrolet Dealer" and not some mom n pop mechanic messed up their Corvette I have to wonder are most technicians employed at the average chevy dealer competent enough to work on z06 and other high end Corvettes. I understand most of these guys spend most of their time working on the Impalas, Malibus and the Silverados so maybe they just dont have enough experience with the Vettes and mess them up. I remember the guy with the 6 month old Z51 where they messed it up during a simple oil change. So do you look for Chevy dealers in your area that are more qualified when you take it in for service or warranty work to get done?

To sell C7's they have to send at least one tech to a C7 school.

School doesn't make anyone competent but at least it's a start. Assume the dealer wil only send their best folks.

Think the problem occurs with simple things like an oil change where they often have a "mechanics helper" work the oil change bay. Some indicate only trained C7 mechcanics change their oil, which is great.

gpuglisi 08-11-2017 02:08 PM

No.

Heidemarie 08-11-2017 02:17 PM

At our dealership we have been asked which of the 3 certified Vette techs we prefer to do the work. We have had two Vette techs working on different occasions and both were excellent. We also make sure we mention these techs by name in the post evaluation in addition to our service writer, whom we always request, before we take the car in. We have been very happy with the Service Dept. at our Chevy dealership.
Heidi
Save The Wave
:seeya:seeya

rmorin1249 08-11-2017 02:18 PM

Absolutely not.

Woodson 08-11-2017 02:19 PM

No. Mine couldn't figure out how to get it on the lift. Then went joyriding.

jcthorne 08-11-2017 02:26 PM

I find that at most dealerships it has far more to do with attitude than aptitude. Good thing the first one is much easier to judge as a customer.

Bavaria 08-11-2017 03:48 PM

My selling dealer - the worst dealership I've ever encountered in my 50 plus years of buying cars.

My service dealership - so far so good.

4thC4at60 08-11-2017 04:18 PM

I'd say - yes - I have more than 600,000 miles in Corvettes over the past 27 years. I've driven a Corvette in 45 of the lower 48 states and have dealt with Chevrolet service in at least a dozen of them at random dealers over the years. Never a problem - and when traveling they always treat you extremely well. At least that's my experience. Of course, too, I'm not an _Adam Henry_.

LT4CMG 08-11-2017 04:25 PM

Most are Not, Some are. I travel 50 miles each way, pass by 7 Chevy dealers to get to the one that treats me and my cars with respect.

Patman 08-11-2017 04:30 PM

No, they are only competent enough to work on the < $99,999 ones :lol:

sTz 08-11-2017 04:36 PM

Most? No, but there are competent techs. You just have to find them...

JoeD-C8 08-11-2017 06:52 PM

I lucked out and got the best! :thumbs:

ZenicaPA 08-11-2017 06:54 PM

In a word.

No

FX VETTE 08-11-2017 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by sgp99 (Post 1595340511)
Don't assume anything. The dealership can have several certified Corvette mechanics, but it doesn't matter if they are busy and another (non certified) mechanic is assigned to work on your car. I say this from experience. My first visit to the dealership did not go well. I checked the GM site for dealerships with certified mechanics and asked the service person at the desk if they had mechanics that have worked on Corvette GS. Unfortunately, I did not ask the question "who will work on my car?" "Is this mechanic certified?" The result was a young, inexperienced mechanic underfilled the oil by three quarts

:willy: WTF? The very reason why I learn to do this stuff myself.

CP 08-11-2017 07:00 PM

WTH pays 100k for a Vette in the first place?

vbdenny 08-11-2017 07:13 PM

That depends on the dealership. At Po-Dunk Chevy, I'd say no but a majors, probably (not certainly) yes. I take mine to one of the Rick Hendricks Chevrolet dealerships and yes, they do know their Corvettes. They better or Mr. H would collect H from us.

Zo62018A8 08-11-2017 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by CP (Post 1595342570)
WTH pays 100k for a Vette in the first place?

The guys with the z06 3lz with the z07 package when they first came out. Youll find a few of them right here on this very forum :D