CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Weird issues (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4027893-weird-issues.html)

CaliC4 08-11-2017 11:15 PM

Weird issues

I brought my 89 c4 into the shop because it had a head gasket leak. Ran great just leaked a lot of coolant. When I get it back it idles really low around 500 rpm. Engine oil psi really low. Around 10-3 psi. When I get on the throttle it is unresponsive very little power until it gets to about 5k to 6k rpm. The rpm takes for ever to climb. I brought it back and it came back to me the same way. Is this a timing issue?

C409 08-12-2017 08:42 AM

..... Check it with a timing light ... its possible that the shop never reconnected the set timing wire .....

CaliC4 08-13-2017 03:33 AM

Update:
looks like the shop had the timing retarded. I advanced it up a bit and wow! Running perfect and better than before! I guess sometimes you just have do to it yourself.

Joe C 08-13-2017 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by CaliC4 (Post 1595350094)
Update:
looks like the shop had the timing retarded. I advanced it up a bit and wow! Running perfect and better than before! I guess sometimes you just have do to it yourself.

:iagree:

as for the running perfect, it's the goldilocks thing - it's amazing how well these things run when everything's just right. so, exactly where did you end up with the timing? :rock:

kenmohr 08-14-2017 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Joe C (Post 1595350163)
:iagree:

as for the running perfect, it's the goldilocks thing - it's amazing how well these things run when everything's just right. so, exactly where did you end up with the timing? :rock:

:toetap::toetap: still listening

CaliC4 08-15-2017 04:08 PM

I did not have a timing light so I just moved it about a degree and took it for a test ride. I set it at what felt the best at WOT.

CaliC4 08-15-2017 04:09 PM

I ended up advancing about 5 degrees. Again all guesses as I did not have a timing light and Im a total novice in my mechanical abilities .

383vett 08-15-2017 04:51 PM

Not a good idea to set the timing without a timing light. You have no baseline and have no idea where you are now. Glad it worked out, but you really should invest in a timing light. They are not that expensive. Autozone might lend them out.

WW7 08-15-2017 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 383vett (Post 1595368639)
Not a good idea to set the timing without a timing light. You have no baseline and have no idea where you are now. Glad it worked out, but you really should invest in a timing light. They are not that expensive. Autozone might lend them out.

:iagree: If you can't do it yourself have someone else do it.. Just don't forget to unhook the timing wire, then reconnect it after the timing is set. You can't time the car without unhooking the wire...WW

kenmohr 08-16-2017 05:45 AM

both of above good advice

Joe C 08-17-2017 01:47 AM

AMEN! :iagree::iagree::iagree: - timing light, a must, and if you do go out and buy one, you don't need a fancy-schmancy version. a basic inductive timing light will more than fit the bill. I have three - everything from a $15 sears basic that I bought 40 years ago, to a high end-fancy-does everything, solid state, 3-place digital readout, version. for all I know, the friggin thing may even have a "clip your toenails" mode - :rofl:. don't use them that much anymore, but now, 9 times of 10, I'll grab the KISS version. :rock:

whalepirot 08-17-2017 09:29 AM

you really should invest in a timing light. They are not that expensive.

I bought a nice SnapOn for under $20 from CraigsList, as I have with many tools. I detest Chinese garbage tools that oft damage my work, not to mention the time wasting, unreliability and further cost.